Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Offrampmotel
Mar 18, 2006
Guitar God

kimbo305 posted:

Are they solid or at least translucent? The parts near the C-pillars don't look flared nearly enough to be usable.

No, they're really not usable at all. They are solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So against my better judgement, I installed this 2 days ago:

along with a 93 octane tune from BAMA. Made the car quite a bit more fun and I THINK it also improved my mileage (I've been tracking my miles while burning through this tank, although it may just be a case of the placebo effect).

I also pulled the codes with the tuner and this came up:

"P1000 OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete."

Looking online it seems that this code is normal after an tune flash and it goes away by itself?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

shodanjr_gr posted:

Looking online it seems that this code is normal after an tune flash and it goes away by itself?

That sounds like a standard code that means "you cut power to the ECU and killed the history". OBD II pulls a flag like this so people don't try to avoid emissions failures based on faulty equipment; some sensors need a certain amount of time/distance in order to have proper verification of function.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Do you have any solid numbers about the tune on your 4.0? I have an '07 v6 and I've been thinking about getting a tune, but I was unsure what kind of gains it would actually see. Did you actually gain any power or does it just remap the throttle more aggressively? I'm trying to decide if an intake, tune, exhaust, LSD, or solid driveshaft is the best thing for my otherwise-stock car. It's a pony package so I already have 235/55/17 tires and the rear sway bar.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

It's a readiness code for inspection, the ECU runs through a big checklist of operating parameters during the first 40-50 miles after a reset and fires off a CEL if anything is still amiss after that time. That monitoring code will cause automatic failure during an inspection so people don't try to sneak around car issues by clearing then getting an inspection.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

lazer_chicken posted:

Do you have any solid numbers about the tune on your 4.0? I have an '07 v6 and I've been thinking about getting a tune, but I was unsure what kind of gains it would actually see. Did you actually gain any power or does it just remap the throttle more aggressively? I'm trying to decide if an intake, tune, exhaust, LSD, or solid driveshaft is the best thing for my otherwise-stock car. It's a pony package so I already have 235/55/17 tires and the rear sway bar.

Well I haven't dynoed the car or anything but the difference is there. Not MASSIVE, but the throttle feels significantly more responsive to me and the car accelerates faster overall. People online claim that an intake+tune will give you roughly +20 hp on the dyno so take that for what you will.

e: Also I've noticed that the car is MUCH twichier now on wet roads (we just had our first rain on long island since I got the tune). I plan to fix this with a decent pair of tires over the summer.

quote:

It's a readiness code for inspection, the ECU runs through a big checklist of operating parameters during the first 40-50 miles after a reset and fires off a CEL if anything is still amiss after that time. That monitoring code will cause automatic failure during an inspection so people don't try to sneak around car issues by clearing then getting an inspection.
Well, I've driven about 100 miles since the ECU flash and the code is still there...

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 15, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A proper OBD-II code reader should tell you which systems are ready and which are not. On my Mazda it can take 300 miles to set the ready flag for the EVAP system, for example. Some of the tests can only be run under specific operating conditions so it takes a while.

If you really want, I'm sure there is a very specific driving method outlined in the Ford service manual to get the car ready as quickly as possible, but unless you have to do an emissions check anytime soon, just ignore it.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 15, 2011

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

CharlesM posted:

A proper OBD-II code reader should tell you which systems are ready and which are not. On my Mazda it can take 300 miles to set the ready flag for the EVAP system, for example. Some of the tests can only be run under specific operating conditions so it takes a while.

If you really want, I'm sure there is a very specific driving method outlined in the Ford service manual to get the car ready as quickly as possible, but unless you have to do an emissions check anytime soon, just ignore it.

Yeah actually I looked the procedure up online. It involves a bunch of city+highway driving along with some idle cycles + letting the car sit for 8 hours. I guess I'm ignoring it.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

shodanjr_gr posted:

So against my better judgement, I installed this 2 days ago:

So overall, would you say it was worth the money?

Is yours manual or auto? I know the tunes also usually include a remap for the automatic transmissions to make them shift a bit more aggressively.

Also, who did you order from and what was your experience with them?

I've got a completely stock '05 and was seriously considering picking up that same combo but am still kind of on the fence.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Marux posted:

So overall, would you say it was worth the money?

Is yours manual or auto? I know the tunes also usually include a remap for the automatic transmissions to make them shift a bit more aggressively.

Also, who did you order from and what was your experience with them?

I've got a completely stock '05 and was seriously considering picking up that same combo but am still kind of on the fence.

Depends on how much you value the fun aspect of driving. Qualitatively I'd say that it's worth it. I got it from AM along with an SCT3 tuner. Shipped in 5 days or so, delivered next day. Installation took like 1 hour, mostly cause I was missing the right lug nut socket size at some point.

I guess it's worth it even more on autos, considering the remapped shift points. Mine is a manual though, that's the way real men drive puny V6 muscle cars.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 16, 2011

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Well I haven't dynoed the car or anything but the difference is there. Not MASSIVE, but the throttle feels significantly more responsive to me and the car accelerates faster overall. People online claim that an intake+tune will give you roughly +20 hp on the dyno so take that for what you will.

e: Also I've noticed that the car is MUCH twichier now on wet roads (we just had our first rain on long island since I got the tune). I plan to fix this with a decent pair of tires over the summer.

Well, I've driven about 100 miles since the ECU flash and the code is still there...

I'm guessing the tune adjusts the responsiveness of the the throttle. The race tunes from AM claim they're not to be used on the street because of this. I bet that plays a role in how the car feels, especially in the rain.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
This is going to be the next hot thing. You can get a fox body down to around 3100lbs fairly easy. When you combine that weight with the new 5.0 with bolt-ons you've got a 3100lb car that makes 450rwhp and spins to nearly 8k RPM. Should be a fun ride.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Isn't the cost of any pre SN-197 roller going to be cheaper than a crate Boss motor, aka not a big factor in build cost? Wouldn't the 94+ chasses be about the same weight, with better handling, etc.?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't the cost of any pre SN-197 roller going to be cheaper than a crate Boss motor, aka not a big factor in build cost? Wouldn't the 94+ chasses be about the same weight, with better handling, etc.?

You need to do a good bit of gutting to get a '94+ chassis under 3300lbs; the same amount of gutting will put a fox body around 2800lbs. Handling is addressed in both the fox and SN-95 chassis in the same way with nearly the same parts, so that's a wash.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

I'm guessing the tune adjusts the responsiveness of the the throttle. The race tunes from AM claim they're not to be used on the street because of this. I bet that plays a role in how the car feels, especially in the rain.

Yeah, I figured that out the fun ("hard") way :rice:. And this is with the "performance" tune. I'm wondering how the 93 race tune feels...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

frozenphil posted:

You need to do a good bit of gutting to get a '94+ chassis under 3300lbs; the same amount of gutting will put a fox body around 2800lbs. Handling is addressed in both the fox and SN-95 chassis in the same way with nearly the same parts, so that's a wash.

I think the Fox body has kind of a legendary mythos to it, too, especially in connection to the "5.0", even though the first SN-95s had 'em also.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Anything I can do (other than getting an aftermarket shifter) to basically loosen up the shifts on my manual V6. 1 and 2 can require a bit of force to get into some times, this totally ruins my fake 1/4 mile runs from traffic lights...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

Anything I can do (other than getting an aftermarket shifter) to basically loosen up the shifts on my manual V6. 1 and 2 can require a bit of force to get into some times, this totally ruins my fake 1/4 mile runs from traffic lights...

....really?

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

shodanjr_gr posted:

Your transmission is Chinese and awful. Basically owned.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Does the prev gen use the old MTX-75? I wasn't aware that it was related to the new stuff.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Learn to troll right rear end in a top hat.

You can force it in as hard as you want it but don't expect it to be good for the transmission. You own a V6 man, it's never going to be fast so stop beating on it. The 4.0L V6 is never going to be fast homey.

So no there's nothing you can do that doesn't involve an early transmission death.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

Learn to troll right rear end in a top hat.

You can force it in as hard as you want it but don't expect it to be good for the transmission. You own a V6 man, it's never going to be fast so stop beating on it. The 4.0L V6 is never going to be fast homey.

So no there's nothing you can do that doesn't involve an early transmission death.

OK, I guess I didn't use enough :rice: emoticons on the original post to get my sarcasm across. The thing is, it doesn't feel as if it's the tranny sticking (no grinding on the gears when shifting or anything like that and the sticking is not related to engine load/rpm, it just feels kinda random). It felt more like the shifter needed some adjustment or something... AFAIK, the S197 V6s use a Tremec T5

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kronix posted:

You own a V6 man, it's never going to be fast so stop beating on it.

I think this is way too black and white. If the dude wants/needs to accelerate fast, by all means, go ahead. It's not going to accelerate dangerously anyways, compared to a faster car. Just drive with adequate mechanical sympathy -- no beating on it and still driving it as fast as it'll go.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

OK, I guess I didn't use enough :rice: emoticons on the original post to get my sarcasm across. The thing is, it doesn't feel as if it's the tranny sticking (no grinding on the gears when shifting or anything like that and the sticking is not related to engine load/rpm, it just feels kinda random). It felt more like the shifter needed some adjustment or something... AFAIK, the S197 V6s use a Tremec T5

Sorry if I was an rear end in a top hat but V6 pony cars tend to bring out the retards in droves. I can't tell you how many Mustangs and Camaros I knew owned by high school kids who did neutral drops and power shifts like it was going out of style because they wanted to do sick tyte burnouts and launches.

Check the shifter linkage and maybe get some new bushings maybe but almost every car I've ever owned was a little slow to engage going 1->2.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

http://funfordweekend.com/

Fun Ford Weekend is back. It looks like they found sponsorship finally and are going to run a limited schedule this year. I still prefer the NMRA, but now that the corrupt motherfuckers who ran FFW are gone, maybe it will be as big as it was in its heyday again.

So, what's their gimmick? They are holding timed, competitive autocross events at a couple of their events along with the usual drag racing. No word on a combined timed autocross/drag race class.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

kronix posted:

Sorry if I was an rear end in a top hat but V6 pony cars tend to bring out the retards in droves. I can't tell you how many Mustangs and Camaros I knew owned by high school kids who did neutral drops and power shifts like it was going out of style because they wanted to do sick tyte burnouts and launches.

I don't blame you. I've roamed around the usual mustang online communities and they are not a fun place to frequent...Truth be told I've performed the occasional clutch-drop myself but the novelty wore out soon after I got the car.

quote:

Check the shifter linkage and maybe get some new bushings maybe but almost every car I've ever owned was a little slow to engage going 1->2.

Do I need underside access to inspect/change these? I'm lacking a floorjack/jackstands.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

This is so hilariously lewd.

http://youtu.be/DwPs0v4N1x4

982rwhp without the nitrous.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 19, 2011

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Wow...if I had a terminator I'd leave it the gently caress alone, not throw on two turbo chargers in addition to the supercharger.

How much loving boost does that thing make at WOT near redline?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

frozenphil posted:

http://funfordweekend.com/

Fun Ford Weekend is back. It looks like they found sponsorship finally and are going to run a limited schedule this year. I still prefer the NMRA, but now that the corrupt motherfuckers who ran FFW are gone, maybe it will be as big as it was in its heyday again.

So, what's their gimmick? They are holding timed, competitive autocross events at a couple of their events along with the usual drag racing. No word on a combined timed autocross/drag race class.

I went to a fast ford thing at a drag strip once and their gimmick was rear ends exploding every 8th run from people doing power adders/drag slicks and ignoring the diff. Maybe that's the plan for this one too!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kronix posted:

Wow...if I had a terminator I'd leave it the gently caress alone, not throw on two turbo chargers in addition to the supercharger.

How much loving boost does that thing make at WOT near redline?

It has nitrous too. :laugh:
It made 16psi on that dyno video I posted above.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

http://youtu.be/DwPs0v4N1x4

982rwhp without the nitrous.

Isn't that the Hellion hellscreamerdeathturbosupercharger setup or something they have?

I remember it being a monsterous money sink when you really look at doing that versus just a monster turbo / SC / twin turbos or something. Like the ultimate form of extreme overkill.

I'd still want it though.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

Isn't that the Hellion hellscreamerdeathturbosupercharger setup or something they have?

I remember it being a monsterous money sink when you really look at doing that versus just a monster turbo / SC / twin turbos or something. Like the ultimate form of extreme overkill.

I'd still want it though.

It's the hellraiser, yeah. I don't know about it being any more of a money sink than any other combo. The GT500 guys are seeing 800rwhp at something ridiculous like 8psi. There's one rolling around making 1200rwhp at 18psi or so. There are rumors of someone doing the Kenne Bell 4.2LC blower with one of these kits making over 2000rwhp in his daily driver.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
My 99 mustang gt that i just installed a steeda short throw in (maybe a month or two ago) doesnt let me keep it in 5th. Put 5th in, it immediately pops it out once i release the clutch. gently caress.

Going to adjust the steeda stoppers (i dont know why that would matter for 5th loving gear). If that doesnt work this is retarded for a transmission with only 76,000 miles on it. Synchro locks are what i will need repaired, anyone know how much that will run? im not dropping the tranny and doing that poo poo myself.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I asked a few pages back for recommendations for my fathers car... we went kinda nuts:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

I asked a few pages back for recommendations for my fathers car... we went kinda nuts:

DSS makes great stuff. Don't be a cock tease, tell us what you got!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

frozenphil posted:

DSS makes great stuff. Don't be a cock tease, tell us what you got!

I'm not sure of the exact specs, like I said, it's my fathers setup.

Off the top of my head.

DSS racing level 10 block with 331 rotating assembly. Everything forged except the crank, low compression for supercharging. Setup should be good to 550ish HP. GT40x heads. Fancy rear end rockers and cam :v:. Fancy BBK intake. Other junk I'm probably forgetting. We're supposed to be installing the thing in the car tomorrow. Then it's break in driving, then tune time. We've got the procharger supercharger setup. I'll try and get a better list outta pops later.

Our old rear end bone with bolt ons stock 302 was making 300hp at 8psi (while pissing oil out of everywhere and catching on fire). This new setup is going to be stupid.

The old 302 block is just sitting on an engine stand... I think I need to buy a mustang...

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

It's the hellraiser, yeah. I don't know about it being any more of a money sink than any other combo. The GT500 guys are seeing 800rwhp at something ridiculous like 8psi. There's one rolling around making 1200rwhp at 18psi or so. There are rumors of someone doing the Kenne Bell 4.2LC blower with one of these kits making over 2000rwhp in his daily driver.

Probably rents out a gas pump at his local Mobil station for storage. It probably burns at a rate of 2mpg parked.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

Probably rents out a gas pump at his local Mobil station for storage. It probably burns at a rate of 2mpg parked.

This year's KOTS should rule. :)

Any word on your heap?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Toying with the idea of going and looking at a 2004 Mach 1 that is at near the right price and only 44,XXX miles. I don't need it, but drat if I haven't had the bug for a good 6 months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tide posted:

Toying with the idea of going and looking at a 2004 Mach 1 that is at near the right price and only 44,XXX miles. I don't need it, but drat if I haven't had the bug for a good 6 months now.

What color and what price? There was a time when I lusted over the Mach 1 pretty hard, but I just couldn't chose one over the other Mustangs available for the price now.