Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

HulkaMatt posted:

I think Kenny Omega was supposed to team up with them.

Yeah, it was supposed to be Riho, Mr. 6 and Kenny Omega with Ibushi vs. Marufuji on the same card. Then Ibushi got injured so they replaced him with Kenny and brought in Great Kojika to team with the kids instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Suben posted:

Yeah, it was supposed to be Riho, Mr. 6 and Kenny Omega with Ibushi vs. Marufuji on the same card. Then Ibushi got injured so they replaced him with Kenny and brought in Great Kojika to team with the kids instead.

As wacky as Omega is, having the 66 guy who runs the highest-profile deathmatch company in the world team with 2 kids might be wackier yet.

Did they wind up losing the belts to the poo poo Heart Foundation? (Love DDT~~~)

edit: so... just found out Daisuke Sekimoto apparently had a match last year with JUSHIN LIGER. I will report back.

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 30, 2011

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

edit: so... just found out Daisuke Sekimoto apparently had a match last year with JUSHIN LIGER. I will report back.
Wasn't anything special. Bit of a style clash really. Liger can do well against NJ-style heavies, while Sekimoto works more Kings Road or Choshu-style.

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch
Ditch, any idea where I can find the 4/3/11 Tanahashi vs. Nagata ME? Been looking around with no luck. Also, loving the Hisa interview. Wild to see someone's perspective on the sport who was actually around during the heyday, instead of the usual fans who got hooked from 90s NJPW juniors/90s AJPW MEs.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Hasn't surfaced yet. Like most things it takes forever to get online. I can't fathom what's causing the delay, because matches are still being capped initially in Japan.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I keep hearing about business being down in Japan. How bad is it really?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Hellblazer187 posted:

I keep hearing about business being down in Japan. How bad is it really?
It's been steadily sinking over the last decade for everyone but Dragon Gate. Very few shows a year with attendance over 10k, Korakuen regularly doesn't sell out, house shows under 1k attendance for the big feds, etc etc.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Ditch posted:

It's been steadily sinking over the last decade for everyone but Dragon Gate. Very few shows a year with attendance over 10k, Korakuen regularly doesn't sell out, house shows under 1k attendance for the big feds, etc etc.

What's causing this? Since business is down for both wrestling and MMA, what are people watching instead?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

What's causing this?
I broke it down last year:
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2010/03/25/puroresu-pulse-issue-167-dooooooooooooom/

quote:

Since business is down for both wrestling and MMA, what are people watching instead?
TV variety shows.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

What's causing this? Since business is down for both wrestling and MMA, what are people watching instead?

Boxing has been having a bit of a boom period (though it's on the downslide now) with the Kameda brothers and Daisuke Naito. Koki Kameda vs Daisuke Naito at the end of 2009 peaked at 52.1% of the TV audience.

I can't speak for pro wrestling, but the MMA boom in Japan was built on a casual audience, well marketed freakshows and nationalism. The fad is long over now, and the audience who watched didn't necessarily care about what they were watching so they didn't necessarily move on to watching something else, it was just popular at the time and on TV.

Anyway, I don't know if this is against the rules or not but I just noticed this thread here and I was wondering if you guys know where to find IGF videos? Kickboxing legend Jerome LeBanner beat the dogshit out of some rear end in a top hat sumo wrestler and it doesn't look very worked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RoX9o8a0TY

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Ditch posted:

I broke it down last year:
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2010/03/25/puroresu-pulse-issue-167-dooooooooooooom/

TV variety shows.

Very interesting, thanks.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Liquid Ska posted:

I can't speak for pro wrestling, but the MMA boom in Japan was built on a casual audience, well marketed freakshows and nationalism. The fad is long over now, and the audience who watched didn't necessarily care about what they were watching so they didn't necessarily move on to watching something else, it was just popular at the time and on TV.
That's actually quite the same as wrestling. Ratings were high in the 50s-80s, and drew in lots of top-notch talent. The talent level peaked in the '90s and there was so much greatness that hardcore fans were in heaven, but ratings dipped enough for networks to start giving promotions worse and worse timeslots. Recruiting new talent got harder starting in the early '90s. Wrestling isn't popular among casual fans at all, hardcores don't have the quality product worth going out of the way for, so...

quote:

Anyway, I don't know if this is against the rules or not but I just noticed this thread here and I was wondering if you guys know where to find IGF videos?
Everything takes an eternity to get online these days, with a handful of exceptions.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And the best part is that you finish with "at least I don't watch TNA"

Very nice. :)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

LordPants posted:

And the best part is that you finish with "at least I don't watch TNA"

Very nice. :)
Still accurate! And yet because it's on TV, lots of people feel obliged to watch it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Have there been any outstanding Heavyweight matches this year?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

LordPants posted:

Have there been any outstanding Heavyweight matches this year?
Nagata vs Suzuki, NJ 1/4
Takayama vs KENTA, NOAH 1/15
Soya & Sanada vs Sekimoto & Okabayashi, AJ 2/6

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2011/05/05/puroresu-pulse-issue-195-april-showers-bring-may-grab-bags/
THIS WEEK: Stuff! Things!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's some really cool stuff. I really enjoy Corino, I must say. Are there any stuff of him against Chosu floating around? That could be fun to watch.

It's interesting about the Shoot wrestling stuff, I'd only ever seen one match and that was on a joint WWF/Someone card. It was a lower card match and i'd always reckoned that it was shoot until the finish, and I i'm glad that's confirmed :)

That card happened to have a really good Axe Bomber or Lariat Bomber (What ever Hogan's Japan gimmick was) match, like, really good.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The actual Corino-in-Japan matches are almost never anything standout. And post-2000 Choshu.... yeah.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Sorry if this is a cheeky question but I was wondering if you could recommend me some matches of a similar style to the Kensuke/Kobashi match from NOAH Destiny 05? Love seeing two hosses trying to out-hoss the other.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
In terms of straight-up heavyweight slugfests...

-Hansen vs Kawada 2/28/93 is hosstastic
-Hashimoto vs Tenryu from the 1998 G-1 Climax
-Ishikawa vs Ikeda from Futen in 2005 is all kinds of brutal
-Sasaki & Nakajima vs Shiozaki & KENTA from June 2009 has two truckloads of beatdown

These also have plenty of big exchanges and nastiness:
-Hansen vs Kobashi 7/29/93
-Takayama vs Kanehara from UWFi 10/8/94 sees them pound on each other until they gas, then they catch their breath, then they repeat the process
-Kawada vs Sasaki and vs Tenryu from October 2000 both are all kinds of manly
-Sasaki vs Nakanishi from the 2004 G-1 Climax is a personal favorite
-Sasaki vs Shiozaki from last year builds to it really well

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Shall track all those down. Thanks very much mate :)

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So Nagisa Nozaki was fired from DIANA for (as the official line goes) "serious breach of contract" i.e. no showing their 5/4 show. In the last week or so she's really made no secret of wanting out of Diana so she could work in SMASH so yeah. Probably better ways of going about trying to get out of your contract than just straight-up no showing though. Eh, Tajiri's apparently against people being overly stiff and considering Nagisa's made of glass SMASH is a better fit for her anyway.

There's also apparently fan rumor going around that she likes partaking in a bit of the "bad reggae habit" which is pretty heavily stigmatized/illegal as gently caress in Japan and that played a part in it but who knows how much substance that rumor holds.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
You mean "the Arashi"?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
After watching DDT4, I'm looking for some new Akira Tozawa. Guy oozes charisma, and I was super impressed at both CHIKARA's King of Trios and DDT4 this year.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Last year in PWG vs Hero and vs Steen both rocked. vs Hero was way better than anything from Japan IMO.

As for Tozawa in Japan, he's mostly been a jobber...

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

An AWESOME jobber.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ditch posted:

Last year in PWG vs Hero and vs Steen both rocked. vs Hero was way better than anything from Japan IMO.

Yeah, I heard that Chima was really jealous of his success in America or something, so is burying the hell out of him in DG. I don't know how true that is, though.

EDIT:
I just found Akira Tozawa vs Danshoku Dino. It's every bit as crazy as you would think it would be, even though it's before Tozawa got his signature look.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ctur_akira-tozawa-vs-danshoku-dino_sport

Holy dick splits, I just realized this was the first Puro match I watched back in 2007. loving amazing.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 10:36 on May 13, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Flameingblack posted:

Yeah, I heard that Chima was really jealous of his success in America or something, so is burying the hell out of him in DG. I don't know how true that is, though.

I don't think CIMA has his hand in booking Dragon Gate. Could be wrong, though....

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dumb question: Which is the Blood Warrior that wears the Cowboy hat?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Flameingblack posted:

I don't think this is true because he was a jobber first, than he lost to Cyber Kong in a LOSER LEAVES DG match when he decided to go on this big American excursion. I'm pretty positive they always had the intent on bringing him back and ASW is gonna be his last PWG shows before he does. He also hasn't even wrestled in DG (outside of 1 exception where he partnered with NOSAWA Rongai) since he started getting really over in America, so he hasn't exactly been buried since.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 13, 2011

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Tozawa got a semi-push in 2006 but supposedly had attitude problems and wasn't pushed after that.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ditch posted:

Tozawa got a semi-push in 2006 but supposedly had attitude problems and wasn't pushed after that.

Is that why they made him get fat?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
And why he had like a million matches vs Danshoku Dino.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

And why he had like a million matches vs Danshoku Dino.
Dino is the most entertaining man in Japan. Surprisingly, he use to be a shoot fighter before he got fat and lazy. Besides, putting on a great match with Dino will put you over pretty hard.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Dino was a shooter? Huh. Next thing you'll tell me is that he's straight!

he is

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

Dino was a shooter? Huh. Next thing you'll tell me is that he's straight!

he is

He isn't married, but he is straight. A lot of Japanese wrestlers are gay, though.

Still surprised the gently caress out of Dino showing up in WV a few years back. His English was good enough to say my Japanese sucked.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

MVP is the new IWGP Intercontinental Champion, hooray!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dancing Peasant posted:

MVP is the new IWGP Intercontinental Champion, hooray!

He's also the first. I loved MVP's interview. It makes me sad that the Miz/MVP stuff never went anywhere, those two cut the best two promos of their career in the same segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Flameingblack posted:

He isn't married, but he is straight. A lot of Japanese wrestlers are gay, though.

What's your source on this? I don't hear much about Japanese wrestlers beyond who's connected to the Yakuza and who hates gaijin.