Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Just came across two guys sprinting out of Escalera's jail with their hands tied. They split up as soon as they got outside of town. e: I corralled one of the guys so he was torn apart by wolves.

I love this game :allears:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

The Chalupabaraka only shows up once per playthrough. Once you kill it, that's it, which is a bit strange, since the stats screen does have a stat for how many you killed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It does that with the Jackelope, too. "Jackelopes killed" on the stats screen, but there's only ever one. :(

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Dewgy posted:

It does that with the Jackelope, too. "Jackelopes killed" on the stats screen, but there's only ever one. :(

I feel like I've seen jackelopes show up in the regular game, outside of UN. Am I nuts?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Saint Sputnik posted:

I feel like I've seen jackelopes show up in the regular game, outside of UN. Am I nuts?

They're from one of the earlier multiplayer DLCs (Legends and Killers, I think? The one that added the tomahawk and explosive rifle), but there's still only one.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Welp, according to the Red Dead Wiki, there's a wonderful bug that stops the Famine horse from spawning if you don't catch it the very first time it appears.

Whoops.

No 100% for me. :smith:

Seriously, I rode back and forth across all of Mexico for like, an hour, and no "Mystical Creature". I even tried the "save-at-Chuparosa-reboot-go-to-Perdido"-trick. Sad sad panda.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Snuffman posted:

Welp, according to the Red Dead Wiki, there's a wonderful bug that stops the Famine horse from spawning if you don't catch it the very first time it appears.

Whoops.

No 100% for me. :smith:

Seriously, I rode back and forth across all of Mexico for like, an hour, and no "Mystical Creature". I even tried the "save-at-Chuparosa-reboot-go-to-Perdido"-trick. Sad sad panda.

If it makes you better, I found both Famine and Pestilence in New Elizabeth, the first area Undead Nightmare starts in. Try there!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Saint Sputnik posted:

Dewgy posted:

They're from one of the earlier multiplayer DLCs (Legends and Killers, I think? The one that added the tomahawk and explosive rifle), but there's still only one.

I don't have any of the DLC, but found a Jackalope the first time I visited the Rio Del Lobo area.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Dewgy posted:

I just encountered and skinned my second, so they're likely just incredibly rare. The first was just West of Bonnie's Ranch, the second was just south of the mine in New Austin.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
I have no idea how to get those Jackalopes. I've been putting bate North and East of Pleasance House a million times and every time wolves or coyotes show up. So... Rio del Lobo it is.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

fennesz posted:

Just came across two guys sprinting out of Escalera's jail with their hands tied. They split up as soon as they got outside of town. e: I corralled one of the guys so he was torn apart by wolves.

I love this game :allears:

It'd be great if someone dug up how many random encounters there are in this game. I'm still coming across some new ones even after my second playthrough.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Minorkos posted:

It'd be great if someone dug up how many random encounters there are in this game. I'm still coming across some new ones even after my second playthrough.

I'm on like...my 5th and I'm still finding new poo poo. I didn't know Cueva Seca had caves until this last playthrough.

I'm a giant dork about this game though. If there's any game I "sperg" over, this would be it. I wait until certain times and/or weather conditions before I do some missions. I'm playing through from start to finish without the minimap and it makes a world of difference. You're not staring at your minimap 75% of the time when you're riding around, you're looking at the landscape around you instead. It also makes combat way, way more tense just because you don't know which crates do or don't have assholes hiding behind them.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 15, 2011

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally got the thread title. I heard Herbert Moon say "No Jewish goods here!".

Once I talk to Irish i head to Mexico, though I hear that's only about 1/3 though the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If I ever replay this game it'll be so I can shoot people. For some reason, maybe the crisp sound effects, maybe the animations, I absolutely loved the gunfights. I'd be wandering about admiring the untamed majesty of nature, and thinking, "Yeah, this is nice, but it doesn't match the sweet, warm sensation of killing a man just to watch him die."

I'd skip on the grinding, though. No more beaver pelts.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Oxxidation posted:

If I ever replay this game it'll be so I can shoot people. For some reason, maybe the crisp sound effects, maybe the animations, I absolutely loved the gunfights. I'd be wandering about admiring the untamed majesty of nature, and thinking, "Yeah, this is nice, but it doesn't match the sweet, warm sensation of killing a man just to watch him die."

I'd skip on the grinding, though. No more beaver pelts.

Grinding on beaver pelts is awesome though.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

Grinding on beaver pelts is awesome though.

:downsrim:

I guess I'm the odd man out in that I enjoy pokin' around searching for herbs or the pelts I need.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

fennesz posted:

:downsrim:

I guess I'm the odd man out in that I enjoy pokin' around searching for herbs or the pelts I need.

All I do in this game anymore is hunt. Put on my X41's, turn up the volume, and wander around the woods looking for deer and other animals to shoot. It's just so relaxing. Even in multiplayer free roam, it's fun to just wander around with my roommate and try to find good places to hunt.

Video games are for relaxing, my friends.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Other than the Rockstar challenges, is there a way to initiate gunfights without getting the law involved? The occasional "MY WAGON BROKE :j:" trap is fine, but I just wanna dip behind cover and pop some heads with the ol' Double-Action :clint:

Also, yes. Something about trotting along the Tall Trees, seeing something move, and whipping out a revolver and blasting a little critter in one smooth motion. Something very therapeutic about taking an animal's life for fun and profit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of the law, more than once some random person in Armadillo has started shooting at me for no reason, and if i fight back, i'm wanted. What the hell?

Also, how can I check which horse I have. I accidentally bought the slowest horse right after buying the most expensive.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of the law, more than once some random person in Armadillo has started shooting at me for no reason, and if i fight back, i'm wanted. What the hell?

Also, how can I check which horse I have. I accidentally bought the slowest horse right after buying the most expensive.

Just use the deed for the horse you want to use.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Also make sure you don't have a small bounty.

I kept having people take shots at me, and it turned out that I had a 5$ bounty on me from something or other.

Didn't remember why or how I got it, but it was enough for people to start opening fire on me.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I accidentally shot a window out and drew a $1 bounty, which was more than enough for four lawmen to shoot me to death.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've just finished the elixir trader's quests, and suddenly I can't lock onto and auto-track anything. Targeting mode's been at Normal throughout the game, did I hit a button to turn something off or is it just expecting me to man up?

Edit: Nevermind, saved and reloaded and now everything's working fine.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 16, 2011

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

twistedmentat posted:

Once I talk to Irish i head to Mexico, though I hear that's only about 1/3 though the game.

Try to time it so you start Irish's last mission (where you go to Mexico) in the early evening; and once you're back on your horse again, don't get off or interrupt the game otherwise.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

CVagts posted:

I accidentally shot a window out and drew a $1 bounty, which was more than enough for four lawmen to shoot me to death.

The fine tradition of bored law enforcement overreaction. Its just as perplexing as seeing four police cruisers behind one guy that was pulled over for having a rear light out.

I finally got the Undead Nightmare DLC, and while its damnably repetitive it's still fun. Except for having to kill cougars, bears and wolves with a loving torch. That was cruel, I don't think I'm going to manage that one, not while bears still have the power to stunlock you until you're out of medicine and die.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Use Pestilence for the torch requirements, he has an insane amount of health and is almost impossible to be taken down. Be careful though, I think you can still be ripped down to the ground if you get too close to some of the bigger animals (I think only bears and cougars).

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Killing my first and (I think) only Jackalope was a funny story. I walked up and started the intro cutscene for the old guy picking flowers for his wife, and right in the middle of it, a jackalope hopped on by. After a few seconds what happened registered with me, and I yelled "gently caress!" out loud, skipped the rest of the cutscene, and bolted in the direction it went, hoping it hadn't vanished. Thankfully I found it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CVagts posted:

Clearly this is a nod to the NYPD's Broken Window theory of policing.

So is there anymore DLC coming out for this, or are they more a less finished with this game?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Boondock Saint posted:

Clearly this is a nod to the NYPD's Broken Window theory of policing.

So is there anymore DLC coming out for this, or are they more a less finished with this game?

I would imagine if there were any more DLC planned, we'd have heard about it by now. It's pretty safe to say that there exists as much content for RDR as there ever will.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Crappy Jack posted:

I would imagine if there were any more DLC planned, we'd have heard about it by now. It's pretty safe to say that there exists as much content for RDR as there ever will.

I know it's true, but even just reading your post cut deep. I love this game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Philip J Fry posted:

Use Pestilence for the torch requirements, he has an insane amount of health and is almost impossible to be taken down. Be careful though, I think you can still be ripped down to the ground if you get too close to some of the bigger animals (I think only bears and cougars).

Would Death work? There would be a risk of a trample kill I suppose, but the horse's description put him as extremely durable.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sco Dylan posted:

I know it's true, but even just reading your post cut deep. I love this game.

You're not alone. I keep hoping that one day I'll wake up and Rockstar has announced another single player expansion, but this time it's just everything changed to be more like a spaghetti western; Morricone soundtrack and all.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Morter posted:

Other than the Rockstar challenges, is there a way to initiate gunfights without getting the law involved? The occasional "MY WAGON BROKE :j:" trap is fine, but I just wanna dip behind cover and pop some heads with the ol' Double-Action :clint:

Go into Armadillo and the bar there and just start shoving people, eventually someone will draw on you and you'll (I believe) be doing self defense. Alternatively, go to Thieves landing with positive honor and you will have a whole town gunning for you.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Go into Armadillo and the bar there and just start shoving people, eventually someone will draw on you and you'll (I believe) be doing self defense. Alternatively, go to Thieves landing with positive honor and you will have a whole town gunning for you.

You know, I pass by TL plenty of times, even shopping when I had the duster on (And "post-game" with the lawman outfit), and no one's done any worse than challenging me to a duel. Maybe they're all nice to me there? v:shobon:v

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

5er posted:

I finally got the Undead Nightmare DLC, and while its damnably repetitive it's still fun. Except for having to kill cougars, bears and wolves with a loving torch. That was cruel, I don't think I'm going to manage that one, not while bears still have the power to stunlock you until you're out of medicine and die.

Figure out how many body shot's they take to kill, then shoot them that many times -1, and finish them off with the torch. That's also how I got the kill cougars/bears with a knife in vnilla.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I once pointed a gun at someone in Thieves Landing, and it started a gunfight that left a score dead. The best part is that the guy I pointed the gun at got shot first, so I could just stand back and watch the carnage.

In Thieves Landing, you make your own duels. :clint:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yeah I'm just wasting time in Thieves' Landing with my Legend Of The West coat (after killing 10 minutes in a Duster). The only gunfight that came up with after I won fairly in a duel. Some jerk started sniping me from one of the saloons. Once I killed him, 3 more fellas took pot shots at me but I put them down.

Do I really have to start my own fights here? </whine>

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Walking into that warehouse and a few other places will cause people to shoot at you. But even at max honor, I don't think anyone will outright just start gunning for you. Thing is most of the residents are either generic Bandits or Bollard Twin gang members, so starting trouble with one gets the rest after you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think you may be forgetting one of the most awesome things to do in this game that won't get you any bounty or shots fired.

Wake up in Armadillo, walk to the railing above the bar, pop out the explosive rifle and blast that no good batch of assholes at the table.

One KABOOM later, 4 or 5 dead outlaws, head to the bar and get hammered.

:clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

It's good to see that people have picked this up again after the PSN has come up :)

It's bad that the store is down so I can't grab Undead and Liars :(

• Locked thread