Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TheOriginalEd posted:

Jeanne D'Arc is a charming little retake on the life of Joan of Arc except now she has magic armor

I think you mean 'is a power ranger', which is just even more fantastic a premise. The PSP has a ton of RPGs as well, but they tend to be more mediocre. Best ones:

Final Fantasy IV Complete - the original FF4, After Years and a new story in one blob. Great loading times, new graphics, pretty fantastic package all in all.
Mana Khemia - the loading times kind of suck on the PSP but Mana Khemia's one of my favorite Gust games.
ZHP - I think this is an RPG on balance, because it's really light on the SRPG mechanics. It's a must-play as far as I'm concerned for the most triumphant NIS plot around.
Riviera and Yggdra Union - Sting games are full of bizarre mechanics and can be hard to get into, but they're usually also inventive and original. Great art too.
A billion Ys games - Haven't touched these, but I know they get a good rap across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

iastudent posted:

You can also add Front Mission 3 to that list if you don't mind playing a PS1Classic on a PSP. I can't remember if there's any others that got ported to the PSN store.

FM3 is incredibly fun. Can't recommend it enough.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Meme Emulator posted:

Anyway, whats good on the PSP? I picked one up a few months ago and with the store on the verge of coming back I might download a few games. Not really looking for a strategy rpg, more looking for jrpg kinda games.

Pick up Heroes of Legend: Trails in the Sky. It's a great game!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

TheOriginalEd posted:

psp is the king of srpgs

Whenever I read the term srpgs, my mind parses it into the word "spergs". Which is fair enough, because that's what FF Tactics Advance nearly turned me into. So addictive and so many things to get also OCD about... I think I must have put at least 100 hours into that, and I'm nowhere near finishing it and never will.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

ChuckDHead posted:

Whenever I read the term srpgs, my mind parses it into the word "spergs". Which is fair enough, because that's what FF Tactics Advance nearly turned me into. So addictive and so many things to get also OCD about... I think I must have put at least 100 hours into that, and I'm nowhere near finishing it and never will.

Considering the 300 hour saves I have for disgaea 1 and 2... yeah Id say thats pretty drat apt.

iastudent posted:

You can also add Front Mission 3 to that list if you don't mind playing a PS1Classic on a PSP. I can't remember if there's any others that got ported to the PSN store.

I have bought front mission 1, 3 and 4 but never been able to finish any of them. I always get to a point where I just cant seem to care and end up selling it. Something about the Front mission Series always sucks me in and then lets me down hard. Though I remember really liking the story in 4 with the 3 guys who were renegades or something. Had a sort of 3 kings vibe.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Meme Emulator posted:

Anyway, whats good on the PSP? I picked one up a few months ago and with the store on the verge of coming back I might download a few games. Not really looking for a strategy rpg, more looking for jrpg kinda games.
Persona 3 Portable - play the Female arc if you have played the male arc already on a previous Persona 3 game.

Ys 7 and Ys Oath in Felghana - Very good action RPGs. 7 is a bit better than Oath but the two are fairly different when it comes to the details.

Cladun - Look before you leap on this one, it's a bit different

Third Birthday - Since you have a high tolerance for japanese bullshit. Have not played this one personally but general jist is that it has good gameplay at the cost of one of the worst plots ever (and only being slightly related to the Parasite Eve series)

Phantasy Star Online 2 / God Eater Burst - Pick one of these, they're fairly similar games in themes but different when it comes to details. Tolerance of japanese themes will be tested here, especially with PSO2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rascyc posted:

Ys 7 and Ys Oath in Felghana - Very good action RPGs. 7 is a bit better than Oath but the two are fairly different when it comes to the details.
Really? I haven't played the PSP version of Oath, but overall vastly preferred the PC version over Ys 7. I thought the general consensus was that 7 was kind of mediocre (I still enjoyed it though).

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
Is Persona 3 Portable the definitive version of the game? I have P3FES and I've not played it yet.

ChuckDHead posted:

I'm told the DC port is better somehow, but I played the PS2 port and didn't have any problems with it at all. The FMV's a bit ugly in one scene, but I'm not sure that's an issue with the port. Personally I say get it. It's shorter and a much more streamlined experience than the original (especially the skill-levelling), and the plot isn't quite as good, but the original is my favourite RPG, so comparisons are outright unfair in my case. It's still a really good RPG with a very satisfying battle system.
What's the original's gameplay like? I own it on PSX but never played it. I always intended to dig it up and play it but was always afraid of it being inferior to Grandia 2.

Edit: Yeah I own a lot of games I've not played. :(

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 17, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ice Blue posted:

What's the original's gameplay like? I own it on PSX but never played it. I always intended to dig it up and play it but was always afraid of it being inferior to Grandia 2.
It's pretty much the same iirc. It's been a long time since I played either, but my feeling is that the battle system in Grandia 2 is just slightly updated if it even is at all. Everything else is standard jrpg fare with regards to gameplay, but the original Grandia really is brilliant and better than Grandia 2 if you can get past the dated graphics.

and we literally just had this Persona 3 discussion, read the last couple of pages to see what people are saying. Personally I think if you have FES already there's no reason to play the PSP version instead

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Yeah I was going off the discussion from the last page and was asking for an elaboration. Or was there more discussion before that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ice Blue posted:

Is Persona 3 Portable the definitive version of the game? I have P3FES and I've not played it yet.

For some reason I consider Grandia on the PS to be superior both gameplay-wise and graphically to Grandia II on the PS2.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Ice Blue posted:

I remain convinced that Grandia 1 is the better game overall, though both are really good. I have got bored of more RPGs than I've finished, but I got through those two just fine.

Battle-wise though, fundamentally it's pretty similar. The Grandia 2 battle system is just a refined version of the Grandia 1 system, and I think the only real change is that fewer attacks can do cancels in the sequel, and the exp and magic-levelling system is streamlined. Beyond that, the difference comes down to prettier magic attacks and sweeping camera stuff that the PSone can't do. If you can get over the drop down to PSone graphics (I like sprites, personally), then go for it.

The story is quite good by JRPG standards, the characters are quite likeable and their interactions are enhanced by some neat optional dialogue scenes at mealtimes (something I haven't seen in other franchises), there's at least one genuinely quite sad bit, the world is interesting and varied, and the soundtrack has some utterly stunning tunes (especially the intro music). It's also longer than the sequel, but it never feels like it drags.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 17, 2011

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sounds to me like the Grandia series just gets worse with each iteration of the series. That's sad. It had such potential. What's GameArts up to these days? Where the hell are Grandia 4 and Lunar 3?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

You could always play Grandia XTreme and Lunar Legend :ironicat:

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Ice Blue posted:

Sounds to me like the Grandia series just gets worse with each iteration of the series. That's sad. It had such potential. What's GameArts up to these days? Where the hell are Grandia 4 and Lunar 3?

Yeah, apparently Grandia 3 was crap, so I guess it's just as well that Squeenix never bothered to release a PAL version...

That said, Grandia 2 is not a bad game. It's just the least best of the two, and that still makes it better in my mind than a lot of RPGs I've failed to finish.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ice Blue posted:

Yeah I was going off the discussion from the last page and was asking for an elaboration. Or was there more discussion before that?
whoops, it's actually in the SMT thread where all the discussion was. here's a c+p of one post

FES has:
animated cutscenes, 3d models during cutscenes, an afterward/epilogue/expansion pack called "The Answer", and party members that are controlled by AI and can be given "Tactics" that work questionably well.

P3P has:
A female protagonist (complete with rewritten events and different dialogue choices), all of the gameplay enhancements given to FES, except "The Answer, Persona 4's combat improvements (i.e. full party control, defend, and an option to remember tactics sets), a visual novel style during cutscenes (portraits and backgrounds) and references to Persona 4 (one small one on the male path, one very large one on the female).

just play FES tbh, more of a proper game and you already own it

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Really? I haven't played the PSP version of Oath, but overall vastly preferred the PC version over Ys 7. I thought the general consensus was that 7 was kind of mediocre (I still enjoyed it though).

Yeah, Ys7 is a good game but it's one of the worst of the series. And Oath is easily one of the best.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nate RFB posted:

I tend to recommend Ys 7 over Oath to strangers as 7 is a bit more streamlined in the typical action RPG sense. Switchable party mates, inventory system, skill system, etc. Just make sure to play the game on hard right off the bat.

Oath on the other hand, is certainly the best of the classic "Ys" experience. The platforming really turns me off at times and the lack of an accessible inventory during bosses really feels like the main factor for the increased difficulty rather than actual difficult gameplay. Aside from that it was a pretty great game, yes.

7 being considered the worst of the series seems a bit strong in my opinion, especially compared to like PSP Chronicles and Ark or ... uh, any of the DS installments I guess.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 17, 2011

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Paperhouse posted:

whoops, it's actually in the SMT thread where all the discussion was. here's a c+p of one post

FES has:
animated cutscenes, 3d models during cutscenes, an afterward/epilogue/expansion pack called "The Answer", and party members that are controlled by AI and can be given "Tactics" that work questionably well.

P3P has:
A female protagonist (complete with rewritten events and different dialogue choices), all of the gameplay enhancements given to FES, except "The Answer, Persona 4's combat improvements (i.e. full party control, defend, and an option to remember tactics sets), a visual novel style during cutscenes (portraits and backgrounds) and references to Persona 4 (one small one on the male path, one very large one on the female).

just play FES tbh, more of a proper game and you already own it
Yeah. I don't even know where my PSP is so whatever. Just curious if the upgrade was worth it in general.

How's P4 compared to P3 (and it's incarnations) in general? I still need to track down a copy before it gets impossible to find pretty soon.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
P4 is a fantastic game and should be played at any costs if you enjoyed P3. There is a reason why most of P3PSP's additions were straight out of P4.

In comparison to P4, P3PSP has a female MC (which basically extends the content of the game by a significant chunk), extra end game content (bonus bosses you can fight in the hall of mirrors or whatever), and quite a few costumes (maids, tank tops - all armor pieces though).

You really do lose a lot by shedding the 3D animation world though in P3PSP. You obviously keep this in P4 and they use it heavily and well for most of the scenes. In hindsight I still feel P4 is the superior of the games and the best Persona experience.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Third Birthday - Since you have a high tolerance for japanese bullshit.

3rd Birthday is pretty much a full cover shooter with some stats, rather than an RPG. It's one of the better cover shooters on the PSP gameplaywise but if you're die-hard looking for RPGs I'd skip it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Rascyc posted:

Oath on the other hand, is certainly the best of the classic "Ys" experience. The platforming really turns me off at times and the lack of an accessible inventory during bosses really feels like the main factor for the increased difficulty rather than actual difficult gameplay.
Personally I thought the accessible inventory completely trivialized all the boss fights since healing items were so cheap. Oath losing this function made it harder yes, but I'd argue the boss battles were better balanced to account for it as well.

Oath undeniably has better music too for what it's worth.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Nate RFB posted:

Personally I thought the accessible inventory completely trivialized all the boss fights since healing items were so cheap. Oath losing this function made it harder yes, but I'd argue the boss battles were better balanced to account for it as well.

Oath undeniably has better music too for what it's worth.
True enough, it's too bad they couldn't find a nice medium to it.

Oath music does in fact rock a lot more! If anything I'd play Ys games just for the music these days.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

casual poster posted:

Can anyone tell me more about xenogears battle system? From what I've seen from some gameplay videos on youtube is that it "seems" like you input a set of codes to get some type of attack? Am I seeing this right?
I think this may be my next game as long as it doesn't have a traditional battle system (after playing radiant historia I am not ready to go back to a reg system).

As previously stated, you get three attacks: weak (Triangle), medium (Square), and fierce (X). Each one is stronger, but less accurate. Deathblows require a certain combination of attacks, with more becoming available to learn as you reach higher levels and have more AP to attack in one turn with (and special Deathblows only becoming available after a certain point in the game that gives you 7AP a turn.) To learn Deathblows, you have to actually practice the combination required until you use each attack in the combo a certain amount of times. It's a simple system that you can actually twist to your advantage. Example:

There are four Triangle (1AP) attacks possible before they loop back around: T1, T2, T3, and T4.
There are two Square (2AP) attacks: S1, and S2
There is only one X (3AP) attack.

Say you have a Deathblow, Triangle Triangle Square X or T1 T2 S1 X (7AP), that requires you use each of those attacks 25 times to learn the Deathblow. You could certainly just repeatedly do the combo until you learned it, or you could recognize that your previous Deathblow usage has probably already reached the required number of uses for T1 and X (because Deathblows always end in X and a lot start with T1), leaving you to work on only T2 and S1. So now you can utilize the fighting system to your advantage to make it quicker by doing something like: Square Triangle Square Triangle Triangle (S1 T2 S1 T4 T1) and Triangle x7 (T1 T2 T3 T4 T1 T2 T3). Doing this can help you reach the requisite uses much faster because you're using one of those two attacks more than just once per combo now.

Outside of that, you get whatever your current limit is for AP every turn. You can use it all, or stockpile it (up to 28, I think) to preform a series of consecutive Deathblows.

:goonsay:

As far as Gear battles, every turn you don't use a Deathblow raises your attack level by 1 to whatever it's current limit is, enabling the uses of stronger Deathblows. So just use Triangle attacks to conserve Fuel if you're trying to raise your attack level. At the same point you get 7AP in the game, you can reach attack level Infinity after attack level 3 in your gears, which is determined by a percentage chance on screen next to "Hyper Mode", iirc. For 3 turns, it lets you access your strongest Gear Deathblows for only a tiny amount of fuel, and multiplies your fuel charges by 10. In boss battles, always start with the boost command. It's basically Auto-Haste for a small amount of fuel each turn.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 17, 2011

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

SpazmasterX posted:

:goonsay:
You make me really miss the Xenogears combat system. I downloaded it off PSN not too long ago. I should replay it sometime.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Rascyc posted:

True enough, it's too bad they couldn't find a nice medium to it.

Oath music does in fact rock a lot more! If anything I'd play Ys games just for the music these days.

Ys has pretty much always been famous for its music--I don't think there's a title in the series that wasn't great.

What's the general consensus about Origin in the scheme of things? I thought it was a pretty good prequel myself (even if it's pretty clear that Thor's route is the only "canonical" one) and even liked it better than Oath in Felghana in a lot of ways.

Was Ark of Napishtim that bad? I've got the DVD from way back when it first came out but I never got around to installing it. I really should some time.

Chinese Batman
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, Ys7 is a good game but it's one of the worst of the series. And Oath is easily one of the best.

Ys7 is, by series standards, entirely average. However, that doesn't mean much when "average" in the Ys series generally means "fantastic" by any other standard.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Was Ark of Napishtim that bad? I've got the DVD from way back when it first came out but I never got around to installing it. I really should some time.

It's not bad, just rough around the edges, because they were trying something new, gameplay wise, and you could tell. Basically, Oath perfected what Ark started.

Chinese Batman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 17, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rascyc posted:

7 being considered the worst of the series seems a bit strong in my opinion, especially compared to like PSP Chronicles and Ark or ... uh, any of the DS installments I guess.

I was thinking in terms of just the best versions of each game, not including the obvious lovely ports and the now defunct Ys3.

Oddly though, I actually like the Ys7 soundtrack the best of the series. Really annoying that the CD that came with the game was only about 1/2 the soundtrack, but that seems to be about par for the course for these bonus pack-in soundtrack CDs.

Genpei Turtle posted:

What's the general consensus about Origin in the scheme of things? I thought it was a pretty good prequel myself (even if it's pretty clear that Thor's route is the only "canonical" one) and even liked it better than Oath in Felghana in a lot of ways.

I rate it a fair bit lower than Oath because of really, really serious balance issues and the fact that only Thor gets to actually fight the final boss (meaning you have to play through the game 3 times to even fight it). Also I felt like Hugo was an absolute chore to play, completely unfun and laughably easy even on Hard mode. Still pretty darn good all things considered.

quote:

Ark isn't bad at all. It's a lot like Oath but with not quite as good bosses and a bit less well balanced. It's one of my favorites in the series. Not really sure why it gets such a bad rap.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 17, 2011

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

Chinese Batman posted:

Ys7 is, by series standards, entirely average. However, that doesn't mean much when "average" in the Ys series generally means "fantastic" by any other standard.

I played it on nightmare mode first and it was my favorite Ys game, I think the game's default setting should just be nightmare mode.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I haven't played Ark but I've heard that the PSP port is really lovely and that you should play it on PS2 instead. If anyone else thinks otherwise then please discuss but I just wanted to give fair warning in case it's really true.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

With all these lists up here, mind if I interrupt to ask for a good list of PS2 RPGS

I've been in a bit of a buying mood, and I decided I might as well finish up my PS2 rpg collection.

Recently I bought Okage: Shadow King, Xenosaga 1-3, .hack 1-4 and g.u. 1-3, King's Field 4 as well as Shadow Tower Abyss.

I think everyone should at least try:
.Hack 1-4
.Hack G.U. 1-3
Dark Cloud 2
Devil Summoner 1-2
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Digital Devil Saga 1-2
Dragonquest
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 12
Kings Field 4
Kingdom Hearts 1/2
Nocturne (Shin Megami Tensei)
Okage: Shadow King
Persona 3
Persona 4
Phantom Brave
Shadow Hearts 1-3
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters
Suikoden 3/4
Tales of Abyss
Xenosaga 1-3

Anything I should add? It's gonna be a huge list, but I think we could make a good comprehensive list. I know I'm forgetting a lot, but a ton of my games are inside boxes.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 17, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

HondaCivet posted:

I haven't played Ark but I've heard that the PSP port is really lovely and that you should play it on PS2 instead. If anyone else thinks otherwise then please discuss but I just wanted to give fair warning in case it's really true.

If you're going to play the PS2 version, make sure to look up the cheat codes to get the original animated cutscenes and Japanese voice acting.

The PC version is good too, though a little different from the PS2 version.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

Anything I should add? It's gonna be a huge list, but I think we could make a good comprehensive list. I know I'm forgetting a lot, but a ton of my games are inside boxes.

Phantom Brave (though the later system ports are good)
Suikoden III and V

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Is that your collection, or a "must play" list? Because if it's the latter, I think a lot of those games do not qualify at all.

Off the top of my head, you're missing SMT: Nocturne, Dark Cloud 2, Steambot Chronicles, DragonQuest, and the Suikodens.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

With all these lists up here, mind if I interrupt to ask for a good list of PS2 RPGS

I've been in a bit of a buying mood, and I decided I might as well finish up my PS2 rpg collection.

Recently I bought Okage: Shadow King, Xenosaga 1-3, .hack 1-4 and g.u. 1-3, King's Field 4 as well as Shadow Tower Abyss.

I think everyone should at least try:
.Hack 1-4
.Hack G.U. 1-3
Devil Summoner 1-2
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Digital Devil Saga 1-2
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy 12
Kings Field 4
Okage: Shadow King
Persona 3
Persona 4
Shadow Hearts 1-3
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters
Xenosaga 1-3

Off the top of my head, I'd add Nocturne, Tales of the Abyss, and Mana Khemia to the list.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ineffiable posted:

Tales of the Abyss, Nocturne, and Dragon Quest VIII.

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

Nate RFB posted:

Tales of the Abyss, Nocturne, and Dragon Quest VIII.

Also Odin Sphere, if action RPGs count.

e: whoops Dark Cloud 2 got mentioned

Drunken Butterfly fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 17, 2011

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
The Romancing SaGa remake is worth playing if you like non-linear RPGs.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Doc Hawkins posted:

Is that your collection, or a "must play" list? Because if it's the latter, I think a lot of those games do not qualify at all.

Off the top of my head, you're missing SMT: Nocturne, Dark Cloud 2, Steambot Chronicles, DragonQuest, and the Suikodens.

it's more of a if you're gonna buy an PS2 for RPGs, you could try stuff off this list.

A comprehensive list of PS2 RPGS, and we'll weed out the very terrible ones.

Updated list.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Rasamune posted:

The Romancing SaGa remake is worth playing if you like non-linear RPGs.

I second this recommendation, and want to add Wild ARMs 3 to the PS2 list. I'll also add FFX-2 with a caveat; I only recommend it for the job/battle system. If you strip away the silliness and nonsense and cringeworthy stuff (which is sadly most of the non-combat part of the game), you get kick-rear end dynamic battles with lots of fun possibilities.