Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
drat we need a thread like "Tips for playing old games/RPGs! Spoilers = ban"

I have never beat Xenogears, or gotten past the first disc for that matter. A lot of this information is helpful, but I am sure to forget it by the time I come around to running through the game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ice Blue posted:

Here's some more I heard about but don't know much about :
Etrian Odyssey series

The EO games are niche titles (even for RPGs) but if you fit the target audience they're amongst the best games on the platform. Anyone who has fond memories of using graph paper to map out dungeons in old CRPGs should definitely give EO3 a look.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

casual poster posted:

Alright so I didn't grab the ring from citan's garden cause I was looking for a large garden, not a small square. The gears just attacked the village and I finally have control of Fei again. Am I still able to get the ring or should I just restart? The pay off for getting the ring seems worth it, but i'd have to go through a good amount of cutscenes.

You can't get the ring, but you're fine. If you do grab it, at the very end of the game you can get an accessory that raises a character's experience gains. I'm talking literally right before the final dungeon. I missed it my first time through the game, and it really didn't matter.

Listen to Nate RFB. The only item you'd truly regret missing is the Trader Card.

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 18, 2011

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Jesto posted:

Valkyrie Profile for the DS...

In addition, they did away with the stupid breaking stuff from Valkyrie Profile 2. You're not only welcome, but encouraged, to overkill the poo poo out of things with soul crushes without losing out on monster parts.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Are there any other dungeon crawly brawlers like Dungeon Fighter Online for the PC or the DS? It doesn't need to be an MMO like Dungeon Fighter Online; just lots of loot and punching/slashing/shooting.

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 18, 2011

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 12, 2014

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Jesto posted:

Encouraged? More like required. If you don't overkill the poo poo out of everything you come across and make the sky rain with blood, the game will try to gently caress you by the woman who gave you the plume unleashing a Shade into a future battle. Shades are extremely difficult to kill versions of recruitable characters mixed into the normal enemy like-up that are drat near impossible to kill without Pluming a character to take them on.

It's actually worth it not to fill up your Sin meter on a NewGame+ run just to take them on and get their drops.

Good to know. I have only played the first few battles and have been sure to fill up the meter all the way. Regardless, the fact that I was effectively penalized for this in VP2 was really obnoxious. No, I don't want to collect parts to gain skills, I just want to murder everything with soul crushes!

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Ragequit posted:

I have never beat Xenogears, or gotten past the first disc for that matter. A lot of this information is helpful, but I am sure to forget it by the time I come around to running through the game again.

We'll title the thread "Xenogears: That @#$%ing RPS badge"

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ragequit posted:

Thats kinda the reason I made this thread, just for people to ask for help on various RPG's and talk about new RPG's coming out.

Thanks for the xenogears advice guys, not going back to get the ring since it seems it wouldn't be able to help me all that much.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

casual poster posted:

Thats kinda the reason I made this thread, just for people to ask for help on various RPG's and talk about new RPG's coming out.

Thanks for the xenogears advice guys, not going back to get the ring since it seems it wouldn't be able to help me all that much.

yeah it's a bit unnecessary to start again just for one item. Enjoy the game though it loving owns

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
We'll see you again to explain what the gently caress is exactly going on with the plot when you reach the world map in disc 2. :v:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Also nobody really spergs out on their first playthrough, so just play blindly and go nuts. The game really isn't that hard and the sperging comes afterwards because disc 2 will leave you wanting more no matter what because well I'll guess you will see.

(gently caress you disc 2)

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

Rascyc posted:

Also nobody really spergs out on their first playthrough, so just play blindly and go nuts. The game really isn't that hard and the sperging comes afterwards because disc 2 will leave you wanting more no matter what because well I'll guess you will see.

(gently caress you disc 2)

I borrowed Xenogears from my older brother when I was 11 and beat it. An 11 year old can beat it. I couldn't beat Final Fantasy 7 for some reason though :(.

But yeah when I went back to replay Xenogears much later I was like "holy crap this story is really cool, I love the music and this is my favorite RPG ever."

e: Nobody should let an 11 year old play Xenogears.

Drunken Butterfly fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 18, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Drunken Butterfly posted:

e: Nobody should let an 11 year old play Xenogears.

The disc 2 stuff with people turning into Wels? Creeped me the gently caress out and I was like sixteen. Paired with that music? Scary poo poo, still makes me shudder.

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

The White Dragon posted:

The disc 2 stuff with people turning into Wels? Creeped me the gently caress out and I was like sixteen. Paired with that music? Scary poo poo, still makes me shudder.

This and Id really creeped me out. His theme, how he looked, scared the heck out of me.

Also basically every anime cutscene is a flash back involving blood, not suitable for children!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

By what standard? I'm sure you turned out just fine, so what are you worried would happen to other kids?

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

Doc Hawkins posted:

By what standard? I'm sure you turned out just fine, so what are you worried would happen to other kids?

I dunno, I am sorta crazy. But seriously, I honestly don't give a crap if somebody lets their kid play Xenogears. But a child under 13 probably can't even understand the story so it's a waste of time. I played the game because I had nothing better to do and was stuck by myself a lot. You'd probably have to force a child to play Xenogears with all the other games out today.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

casual poster posted:

Ah that is true. I thought I was in the Final Fantasy thread for a minute. I might have to start replaying the game sooner than I thought.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

Nate RFB posted:

Man it's no fun to play through a game like that. There will be no end to things you will have to follow a guide to get the first time. Just play and have fun. Most of the game you will be able to figure out just fine.
I don't think there are that many things like that in the game, though. Just a few that goons mentioned. Not too much else other than minmaxing and glitches and poo poo. I know I'd feel like poo poo if I played through the game and realized I missed some awesome item. The game is long so doing a straight replay right after is tough to ask for these days when it seems gaming time is so limited.

I don't think replaying an hour is that big a deal to get a good item later on. But replaying 10 hours is kinda dumb.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I dunno, I think it's probably less "I turned out bad" and more "You know why you don't take kids to see 28 Days Later? Because they will be scared shitless and have nightmares for years to come."

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

Why do you keep waiting for this? FF13 was downright beautiful at parts.

Granted, an RPG with BlazBlue quality sprites would be great, but FF as a series has had more 3D games than sprite-based games at this point.

Seriously, that game had a lot of flaws but at least it was loving beautiful. Orba village is probably the most impressive setpiece ive ever seen in a game. Its a shame that like with everything in the game else the mood is ruined as soon as the terrible characters start speaking. "Hey our home village is abandoned and everyone we ever loved is dead, but who cares, lets build a robot!"

Filthy Monkey posted:

I never see many people talk about it, but I always liked Baten Kaitos's battle system. Card poo poo always appeals to me, and it makes you think on your feet a bit. Game works nicely on emulators too.

I loved Baten Kaitos, but it seems most people hated how much luck went into it. I liked the battle system because it was fairly strategic while also being very fast paced and in the late game it feels awesome to pull off crazy combos by thinking on your feet. Also had some nice setpieces.

casual poster posted:

How do you guys find the time to play through your RPG's? Ever since I got a fulltime job, girlfriend and started working out my gaming time (for rpg's atleast) has gone down to about a hour a day.
How do you guys keep up with it?

by being unemployed, with no dating prospects, and in a cast :( . But seriously I love this thread since it has led me to a lot of good games and I have heaps of free time right now

babypolis fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 19, 2011

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

niggapolis posted:

"Hey our home village is abandoned and everyone we ever loved is dead, but who cares, lets build a robot!"

Sometimes when youve lost everything, the little things can become the most important thing in the world. Im just saying.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

niggapolis posted:

I loved Baten Kaitos, but it seems most people hated how much luck went into it. I liked the battle system because it was fairly strategic while also being very fast paced and in the late game it feels awesome to pull off crazy combos by thinking on your feet. Also had some nice setpieces.

If you liked Baten Kaitos you should play the prequel, Baten Kaitos: Origins. The combat system is revamped and is a lot of fun, and the game no longer has the worst voice acting ever.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

TheOriginalEd posted:

Sometimes when youve lost everything, the little things can become the most important thing in the world. Im just saying.

this is the really weird thing about FF 13. what you are saying was probably the point of the scene and I think the chapter summaries you can read outright states it, but there is nothing in the way the characters act in the actual game that suggests that building a the robot was part of their grieving process. In fact if I remember correctly none of the characters comment on the sorry state of the village at all. FF13 was a game were the developers came up with a pretty decent story with some good drama and then inserted the most terrible characters and dialogue they could think of.

Cake Attack posted:

If you liked Baten Kaitos you should play the prequel, Baten Kaitos: Origins. The combat system is revamped and is a lot of fun, and the game no longer has the worst voice acting ever.

is that one for the gamecube too?

the funny thing about the bad voice acting in baten kaitos is that it was intetional. its a pretty weird mechanic were the closer the relationsip between the main character and the spirit thing (ie you, the player) the better it sounds to simbolyze you being closer to the human world or something like that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

niggapolis posted:

this is the really weird thing about FF 13. what you are saying was probably the point of the scene and I think the chapter summaries you can read outright states it, but there is nothing in the way the characters act in the actual game that suggests that building a the robot was part of their grieving process. In fact if I remember correctly none of the characters comment on the sorry state of the village at all. FF13 was a game were the developers came up with a pretty decent story with some good drama and then inserted the most terrible characters and dialogue they could think of.

This is pretty much how I feel about FFXIII. I loved the idea behind the story. People who don't like each other are forced into a no-win situation that doubles as a death sentence. At first, everyone's pretty much looking out for themselves, but they eventually band together to figure out a way to survive. I like the concept, but the characters (minus Sazh) and dialogue really, really sucked.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

niggapolis posted:

the funny thing about the bad voice acting in baten kaitos is that it was intetional. its a pretty weird mechanic were the closer the relationsip between the main character and the spirit thing (ie you, the player) the better it sounds to simbolyze you being closer to the human world or something like that.

Yeah it's for the gamecube. Also, I got what they were going for with the voice-acting, but it was a bad idea, and beyond the weird distorting effects the performances weren't that good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

niggapolis posted:

Wait really? If you turn on Surround sound in the game's Options the "tin can" effect goes away. I never knew it served a purpose :psyduck:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

iastudent posted:

I'd like to plug the SNES version of Shadowrun as well. It's nowhere near as rules-complete or flexible with character development as the Genesis version but I've always been a fan of its grungy artstyle and how it bridged both the magic and technological aspects of the PnP version. Shame the Matrix combat is infinitely more boring, though.

Very late on this but I'd also like to plug this. The music was also awesome.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

SNES Shadowrun had excellent atmosphere. Incredible for a SNES game.

The gameplay wore itself out before the end though, when it just became SNIPERS EVERYWHERE.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Don't forget the volcano, a.k.a heal after every floor after troll deckers turn you into swiss cheese.

Also, seriously, 90% of the deckers in your game are loving trolls? They should be roiding synth-muscling the gently caress out and punching exit wounds at anything unfortunate enough to get close.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

They're trying to fight against negative troll stereotypes, okay? <:mad:>

Plus there's no rule that says deckers can't take a bullet and, uhhh, carry a bunch of heavy stuff.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 21, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm just saying, they could have done a bit better at plying their trade. Like, I don't know, cybersecurity?

Hacking a dragon's multiple Cayman Islands accounts was never so easy. :smug:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

WrightOfWay posted:

I just got a DS, what are some good RPGs for it?
Infinite Space.

Ice Blue posted:

Here's some more I heard about but don't know much about :
Avalon Code
Avalon Code's pretty good. Sort of weird, but fun.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
Posting again in the hopes of finding side-scrolling dungeon crawler/brawler ARPGs with lots of loot and ridiculous class skills in the vein of Golden Axe and Dungeon Fighter Online.

I'd be very happy with singleplayer and/or multiplayer games for the PC, but I'd also like to find titles for the Nintendo DS.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Okay, so I really suck at Secret of Mana. I finally beat that gnome king boss (running around him in circles as Randi while spamming Popoi's Acid Storm attack and completely forgetting about the ice sword spell did the trick for some reason), but have no idea where the hell I'm going next. The goddess said something about Pandora, so I went there and found nothing had changed, and Popoi said something about a Northern Forest, but I cannot find anything new up North either. It would be a lot easier if I had a bit more direction, is there a world-map like in Zelda that I just can't find the option for?

Also at any point can I get an extended item capacity? More than 4 candies would be nice.

stfu
May 16, 2011

I think I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit.

Amrosorma posted:

Posting again in the hopes of finding side-scrolling dungeon crawler/brawler ARPGs with lots of loot and ridiculous class skills in the vein of Golden Axe and Dungeon Fighter Online.
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but Elsword Online might scratch that itch until you find something more suitable.

Plus it just got out of beta, levels are capped at 32 and it still only has the first batch of cities/missions, so if you don't like grinding to max out a character you'll be glad to know that you can do it in like 5 days.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

ChuckDHead posted:

Okay, so I really suck at Secret of Mana. I finally beat that gnome king boss (running around him in circles as Randi while spamming Popoi's Acid Storm attack and completely forgetting about the ice sword spell did the trick for some reason), but have no idea where the hell I'm going next. The goddess said something about Pandora, so I went there and found nothing had changed, and Popoi said something about a Northern Forest, but I cannot find anything new up North either. It would be a lot easier if I had a bit more direction, is there a world-map like in Zelda that I just can't find the option for?

Also at any point can I get an extended item capacity? More than 4 candies would be nice.

Talk to the King in Pandora, then talk to Phana and follow her to the ruins.

You never expand your item capacity, so learn to love magic for healing. That way the only item you need to manage is walnuts.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Captain Vittles posted:

Talk to the King in Pandora, then talk to Phana and follow her to the ruins.

You never expand your item capacity, so learn to love magic for healing. That way the only item you need to manage is walnuts.

I've talked to the King (who is still sulking in bedroom), but who is Phana?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

ChuckDHead posted:

I've talked to the King (who is still sulking in bedroom), but who is Phana?

The blue-haired girl that's childhood friends with Dyluck and the blonde that joins your party. If the King is sulking in his room, then you're definitely supposed to be finding Phana and following her to the ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Captain Vittles posted:

The blue-haired girl that's childhood friends with Dyluck and the blonde that joins your party. If the King is sulking in his room, then you're definitely supposed to be finding Phana and following her to the ruins.

Also, depending on what language you're playing her name may be Pamela. (She's Pamela in every language but English I believe)