Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Anarchist posted:

Most everything else I've seen posted around here are Ninja 250's priced between $1900 - $3000 (which seems really high to me) or 600cc plus bikes I am not comfortable getting for a first bike. I'm a totally green when it comes to bikes, the MSF is the only time I've actually ridden a motorcycle. I am open to any and all advice.

I was the same as you almost exactly a year ago. I'd never been on a bike before, took the MSF and went shopping for a beater. I ended up with an '86 CB450 and I love it to death. I want to upgrade to something a little faster, but I'm trying to hold back and not jump the gun. My biggest piece of advice to you is to skip the 250 and go to at least a 450/500cc. I couldn't imagine being on something slower than my 450cc bike, especially with a passenger on it (I just started riding with passengers about a month ago, and the bike crawls at first, but performs fine once it gets up to highway speeds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
That's good advice, I'll put the 250's way at the bottom of the list. I found a guy that has a 2005 ninja 500r posted and a '93 500ex for sale as well (http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/2377400683.html) The 05 needs a new handlebar bearing, I have no idea how much this will cost to fix but hopefully it's not too expensive. I'm going to talk to dealerships / mechanics around here to get a price range. I haven't gotten any specific information on the 500ex yet but he said it's in road ready condition.

The GS 500 I posted a link to earlier updated his post, the bike needs a tune up and some basic work but nothing serious. I'm leaning toward this just because of the price and the looks. Are there any glaring reasons why I should go for the Ninja's over this?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Anarchist posted:

That's good advice, I'll put the 250's way at the bottom of the list. I found a guy that has a 2005 ninja 500r posted and a '93 500ex for sale as well (http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/2377400683.html) The 05 needs a new handlebar bearing, I have no idea how much this will cost to fix but hopefully it's not too expensive. I'm going to talk to dealerships / mechanics around here to get a price range. I haven't gotten any specific information on the 500ex yet but he said it's in road ready condition.

The GS 500 I posted a link to earlier updated his post, the bike needs a tune up and some basic work but nothing serious. I'm leaning toward this just because of the price and the looks. Are there any glaring reasons why I should go for the Ninja's over this?

Good luck getting a quote on "handlebar bearings", because those don't exist. Maybe he means head bearings? Sounds like the bike was wheelied, a lot, or poorly maintained somehow. I'd offer him 1400 and see if he bites, although 1900 isn't horribly bad, depending on how bad the cosmetic condition of the bike is. If he says it's "not in good condition" it's probably completely thrashed, though.

On the GS 500, he says:

quote:

I am selling my 1998 Suzuki GS 500 E with only 11,800 miles on it. The bike needs tune-up (carb clean, new spark plugs and oil change @ $ 150-200).
It has valid plates on it, starts and rides perfectly except it gets an over flow of oil if ridden for a long time or on a rough road- this is because the carburetor has dirt in it.

That is...uh...not true at all. The POs of both of these bikes are complete and utter idiots so take that into account when they say that they just need a little work, and also when they say "it only needs XYZ...neither of them have any clue what the gently caress they're talking about.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

^^^ Also in Mass plates are not transferable and the inspection sticker is attached to the plate so you WILL need to get a new one when you register it, and the guy with the GS is listing that stuff as if it's a selling point. Like Z3n says, he doesn't seem too bright and I wouldn't trust that he maintained the bike very well.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
On the GS the original posting didn't mention anything about oil leaking. That seems like more then a minor issue. I'd really like to find something I won't have to worry about fixing up to get running.

The guy selling the 05 Ninja also has a '93 500ex he is willing to sell, claims there is no damage / issues on that one.

I'm still searching for something similar to these bikes but haven't heard back from any other sellers. I found an 84 VF500f (http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcd/2316312965.html) while it looks pretty it's a bit older and there is literally 0 information posted about it. Do Honda's hold up well or is a bike that old going to be a money pit in repairs?

Thanks for the info about MA plates and inspections, I had no idea. Like I said I'm totally green when it comes to bikes and I really appreciate the advice.

Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 17, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

kylej posted:

This is a great post, thanks a bunch. Maybe an F2 or F3 is the better option.

Or maybe I'll go completely off the deep end and buy this http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/2360138068.html :D

An F2 or an F3 is gonna feel really similar to your SV in terms of power - they'll just have a little more top-end and the SV will have a little more bottom end. Around here they let F2s compete in the same class as an SV since their powerbands and weights are similar.

If I were you, already owning an SV, I'd get something completely different for a second bike. The SV is an all-rounder, I'd want something more specialized to ride for a specific purpose and let the SV be the commuting/errand tool. You can go the racing direction and get a race replica sportbike, get a more dual-sport oriented machine, a motard (my '06 KTM was 5 grand), or something that's better for touring. Having two practical sporty middleweight streetbikes seems kind of redundant.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

An F2 or an F3 is gonna feel really similar to your SV in terms of power - they'll just have a little more top-end and the SV will have a little more bottom end. Around here they let F2s compete in the same class as an SV since their powerbands and weights are similar.

If I were you, already owning an SV, I'd get something completely different for a second bike. The SV is an all-rounder, I'd want something more specialized to ride for a specific purpose and let the SV be the commuting/errand tool. You can go the racing direction and get a race replica sportbike, get a more dual-sport oriented machine, a motard (my '06 KTM was 5 grand), or something that's better for touring. Having two practical sporty middleweight streetbikes seems kind of redundant.

Sold the SV to a very cool goon tonight. I think I figured out what my next bike will be this past weekend and I'm just waiting for one to appear and to save up the cash (01-05 GSXR 750).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Anarchist posted:

I found an 84 VF500f (http://southcoast.craigslist.org/mcd/2316312965.html) while it looks pretty it's a bit older and there is literally 0 information posted about it. Do Honda's hold up well or is a bike that old going to be a money pit in repairs?

They tend to hold up well enough AND they'll be a money put for any repairs. The VF500s were only made a few years, so parts are precious. If the carburetors need work, they are a huge pain to remove and reinstall. Some suffer from weak cam oiling, which can be fixed by a oil kit that probably no longer exists.

I am working on a VF500C with leaky carbs. Getting the rack off the bike was an incredibly tight squeeze. It will be worth it though, the 500cc VF is a lively ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Anarchist posted:

On the GS the original posting didn't mention anything about oil leaking. That seems like more then a minor issue. I'd really like to find something I won't have to worry about fixing up to get running.

The guy selling the 05 Ninja also has a '93 500ex he is willing to sell, claims there is no damage / issues on that one.

How much does he want for it? How many miles/etc.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Anarchist - I wouldn't pay more for a newer EX500 / Ninja 500R. In true Kawasaki fashion, barring the addition of a second front disc from 1994, the 2005 bike and a 1987 bike will be substantially identical. Unless you must have that second disc, it's basically down to condition with those bikes. And if you must, it's still down to condition, but you want something newer than '94.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

I realized I posted the same picture twice, my bad. It has 17k on it and he doesn't have the maintenance history for the bike but says it's it is in good condition. I take that with a grain of salt but it at least looks like it's in decent shape. He originally mentioned $1,800 for it, but I haven't pressed him on it yet. I checked KBB and it's listed around $1,300 so I'm going to try and talk him down.

I've also been talking with the guy who posted the '06 Ninja 500, it's at the high end of my price range but his post has the most information and he has been the quickest to respond. He said he would drop the price to $2,500... still at the very high end of my price range, but I'm considering it.

I did see this GS 500E posted today. I haven't heard back from them yet though.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I've currently got a 1986 Honda CB450SC that I love aesthetically, but I'd like a little bit more power. Would it be stupid to sell it and pick up this '79 CB750? I'm not sure if I'd be shooting myself in the foot buying a bike that old.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

I've currently got a 1986 Honda CB450SC that I love aesthetically, but I'd like a little bit more power. Would it be stupid to sell it and pick up this '79 CB750? I'm not sure if I'd be shooting myself in the foot buying a bike that old.

That's the sort of vintage bike you want to buy. Well maintained, relatively low mileage, in excellent shape with good mechanicals. I'd say go for it, although try and bargain him down on principal.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Z3n posted:

That's the sort of vintage bike you want to buy. Well maintained, relatively low mileage, in excellent shape with good mechanicals. I'd say go for it, although try and bargain him down on principal.

That's what I wanted to hear! There is one guy ahead of me looking at the bike tonight, but otherwise I'm going to go check it out and (probably) buy it. I threw my bike up on a whim and managed to get a handful of bites on it. If the stars align then by this weekend I'll end up making an almost even trade on these bikes.

Nice Sweet Meat
Apr 10, 2007
I've ridden my 79 honda cm400t into the ground after 5 years of treating it like poo poo. My mechanic, who is a very good mechanic, has literally tried everything and cannot get it to start, so it's getting parted out, and my wife authorized a new bike purchase of =< $2k. I basically want a bike that's not antique, looks cool, has a good reputation, with less than 20k on it.

Things I find interesting:

the o'reilly tab is there so i can vote for jon stewart so dont loving judge me

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

How big of a deal and cost is it to replace a tank on a sv650? I've rebuilt car engine's and drag raced cars in the past so I'm capable with a wrench, and have a garage full of tools.

Am I an idiot for even looking at this bike? The black on the tank is not factory is it? Seat is also ripped, but from what I gather I'd be replacing it any way.
This would be my first bike so I'm not looking for a mint bike, I'll probably end up adding a new dent or two learning anyway.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/2387567010.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

How big of a deal and cost is it to replace a tank on a sv650? I've rebuilt car engine's and drag raced cars in the past so I'm capable with a wrench, and have a garage full of tools.

Am I an idiot for even looking at this bike? The black on the tank is not factory is it? Seat is also ripped, but from what I gather I'd be replacing it any way.
This would be my first bike so I'm not looking for a mint bike, I'll probably end up adding a new dent or two learning anyway.

It's not a big deal at all, you'd be fine replacing the tank. That looks like a good deal, check that the valves were adjusted, bargain him down and check them immediately if they haven't been.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

So my extended hunt for The Perfect DL650 has continued mostly fruitlessly. I have gotten a first price from a guy in Charlotte (cheap fly and ride, and only 12 hours away from me driving) for the following:

http://i.imgur.com/rvJsb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4I8lz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/43uLt.jpg

2009 DL650 with ABS
just under 39k miles
madstad bracket
givi windscreen
handguards
heated grips
new tires
topcase
centerstand
engine guards
16t front sprocket
some sort of extended warranty until 12/2013

Last service done at dealer at 32k was valves (in spec), air filter, plugs. Chain was done at 22k so will probably need to go soon. Oil was always done with synthetic at 3-4k.

For all this he wants $5700 - how much should I be worrying about the mileage at this price?

I'll edit some pictures up in a moment.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 18, 2011

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
I'm looking at getting myself a sport bike. I currently ride a 77 Honda CB550 with a bunch of cafe racer mods, so I'm used to the more stretched out seating position, I just want something more modern/reliable. Right now the two bikes I am seriously considering are a 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 650R, and a 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R. I've done a bit of research between the two, and most of what I've gathered is the 650R is much more comfortable to ride, with the ZX6R being more fun, but a bit less comfortable. I will be commuting part time on the bike, but it's a 100 mile ride round trip when I do. I haven't done it on my honda simply because it's not reliable enough for me to trust for a ride like that, on top of it not being strictly street legal.

Some background on myself:
- I've only been riding on the street for a short amount of time, but I've had my current bike for a few months and have done lots of hooning it around in my parking lot at work getting used to pavement riding
- I've been riding dirt bikes for about 15 years on and off, so I'm comfortable on two wheels.

So basically, I know a lot of it comes down to how comfortable you are on the bike, as far as riding position, so I'm wondering what else I should be thinking about. Also if there's any other bikes I should be thinking about. I definitely would prefer a sportier riding position, and even though my commute is rather long I'm not looking for a sport tourer.

Other bikes Ive vaguely considered:
- Suzuki SV650
- Suzuki GSX-R600
- Honda CBR600RR
- Yamaha R6

Right now one of the biggest things drawing me towards the 650R is price. The dealership by me has a black one for $5750 on their website, which is right in the price range I would ideally be in. The ZX6R is something like $7900 there, with the CBR600RR at something like $8900. I know the higher priced bikes are definitely more bike for the money, but is it really worth that money?

Again, my riding will be a mix of city riding (I live in Brooklyn) and highway (I work out on Long Island), with hopefully a few track days thrown in when I get the time.

Thanks for the help.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A Ninja 650R isn't a sportsbike, but it's definitely the better option for the type of riding you'll be doing.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BlackLaser posted:

Tank replacement - remove seat, undo 2 or 3 bolts, pull off fuel, breather etc. hoses and then plug in the replacement. 5 or 10 minute job. One or two sockets and a pair of pliers.

omgitstheinternet, 2ndclasscitizen is right. What's difficult there is you say you must have a sportsbike, which the 650R really isn't (it's a competent, economical budget naked which has had a fairing attached to it). But it's going to be so much easier to live with than a ZX-6R if you're basically going to be engaging in urban combat in Brooklyn with it and then sitting on a highway. It's also a bit less of a jump in ergonomics from dirt bikes and your existing ride.

An SV650S (the one with a fairing) is better put together than the 650R. The finish on the latter is truly budget - I've seen them with a couple of years of regular commuting on them, and they end up looking about 20 years old. Paint, plastics, fasteners, you name it. To me anwyay, it was notable because you don't really see (non-Chinese) bikes made like that any more. Mechanically I'm sure they're a solid product, but aesthetically not so much. I don't care so much how my bikes look personally, but the problem is you may get rear end-raped trying to sell it or trade it if yours goes the same way.

If you want practicality plus sportitude while not being a sport-tourer, combined with decent track-day manners and decent build quality, a used CBR600F4i (not the RR version) is possibly a better bet than all the above.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

omgitstheinternet posted:

Other bikes Ive vaguely considered:
- Suzuki SV650
- Suzuki GSX-R600
- Honda CBR600RR
- Yamaha R6

Roughly translating what you have listed here into car terms, scaled up on the 'speed' axis:

Other cars Ive vaguely considered:
-Subaru WRX
-A Blue Ferrarri F430
-A Red Ferrari F430
-A Yellow Ferrari F430

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Spiffness posted:

Roughly translating what you have listed here into car terms, scaled up on the 'speed' axis:

Other cars Ive vaguely considered:
-Subaru WRX
-A Blue Ferrarri F430
-A Red Ferrari F430
-A Yellow Ferrari F430

Do this for all the common CA bikes (DRZ, KLR, Ninja 250 etc.) tia.

Nice Sweet Meat
Apr 10, 2007
Ok, no one responded to my earlier post, so I'll try to be more specific.

Can anyone give me advice about 2007ish ninja 500s? I'm upgrading from a 1979 honda cm400t, and just want a fun bike for bombing around Atlanta with some occasional highway action.

I'm going to look at this today:

Please, please give me advice about Ninjas 500s. The ninja 250 thread was only somewhat helpful.

Edit: he's asking $1800, he's been dropping $100/week from the price since April when he first listed it for $2500. Bluebook for MSRP is $2800.

Nice Sweet Meat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 19, 2011

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Z3n posted:

It's not a big deal at all, you'd be fine replacing the tank. That looks like a good deal, check that the valves were adjusted, bargain him down and check them immediately if they haven't been.

Thanks, was hoping you would chime in. I'm gonna meet him tonight, and offer $1500 cash. Looks like replacement tanks are almost $700 new, I'll have to keep an eye open for a part out or ebay.

Also http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_valves/ hopefully this makes it look worse than it is like most online guides, but seriously you have to remove camshafts, and re-time the bike to adjust valves? :pwn:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'll be checking out the '79 CB750 tomorrow, but I'm trying to line up some additional options in case that one falls through. I listed my current '86 CB450 to test the waters and have gotten an overwhelming number of responses so it looks like I'm definitely going to switch up.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2386374312.html

I might go look at that bike today, too. I'd rather have the '79, but that one definitely does look nice. Does anyone know anything about the '95 CB750 that I should keep an eye out for or a reason to avoid them? Also, it's hard to tell from the picture, but is that just a windshield over the light or some kind of mini-fairing?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

I'm looking at getting myself a sport bike.

The SV650 is a sportsbike. It has that marvelous thump in the rear end when you slap open the throttle (or even blip it).

Sv650 sv sv sv sv.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Nice Sweet Meat posted:

Ok, no one responded to my earlier post, so I'll try to be more specific.

Can anyone give me advice about 2007ish ninja 500s? I'm upgrading from a 1979 honda cm400t, and just want a fun bike for bombing around Atlanta with some occasional highway action.

Edit: he's asking $1800, he's been dropping $100/week from the price since April when he first listed it for $2500. Bluebook for MSRP is $2800.

Looks like it's been crashed and spray painted and had a weird-looking streetfighter headlight slapped on. What gauge does he have (obviously not the stock gauges). MAKE SURE that the headlights are sufficient for lighting up the road at night.

500's are pretty reliable, you can't go wrong as long as it's been well-kept.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nice Sweet Meat posted:

Ninja 500 stuff

Well, I'd probably show up with $1500 cash. The bike is a fine choice for what you're doing, but I'd be leery because it's streetfightered and that tanks any sort of resale value (as he's discovered with the bike not selling after starting at $2500). As with any motorcycle that's streetfightered, I'd wonder why. "Because I don't like fairings" isn't usually a good answer. In this case, it doesn't look like he's put a handlebar kit on it, so improving ergos is out, which basically means it was crashed hard and this was cheaper than anything else. If you get weird feelings from the guy, if the bike feels funny, if he won't let you test ride it, then walk. Streetfighters can be good bikes for a bargain price, but you gotta be careful because they've nearly always been abused.

Sorry about not replying earlier to this, it just got lost in the shuffle :(

ZX6R Vs. Ninja 650

My question is:

Why are you buying new? A bike in the range that you're looking at is a prime candidate for a couple year old SV650 at half the price (OTD). Figure you'll pay ~7k out the door for the 650, and ~9k for the ZX6R. You can pick up a nice, used SV650 (naked) for 3.5k, and probably find yourself a pretty awesome trackbike or ~5 year old supersport for the other 4k. Then you can have the best of both worlds...a nice upright bike for bombing around town, and a proper supersport for twisty riding and the occasional trackday.

Agrias120 posted:

I'll be checking out the '79 CB750 tomorrow, but I'm trying to line up some additional options in case that one falls through. I listed my current '86 CB450 to test the waters and have gotten an overwhelming number of responses so it looks like I'm definitely going to switch up.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2386374312.html

I might go look at that bike today, too. I'd rather have the '79, but that one definitely does look nice. Does anyone know anything about the '95 CB750 that I should keep an eye out for or a reason to avoid them? Also, it's hard to tell from the picture, but is that just a windshield over the light or some kind of mini-fairing?

AFAIK, the nighthawks are pretty reliable bikes. It's a mini fairing that mounts around the headlight.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Some background on myself:
- I've only been riding on the street for a short amount of time, but I've had my current bike for a few months and have done lots of hooning it around in my parking lot at work getting used to pavement riding
- I've been riding dirt bikes for about 15 years on and off, so I'm comfortable on two wheels.

What sort of dirt riding have you done? What bikes did you own? When I hear lots of dirt riding, it often means they rode a year when they were 13 on a 50.

I'm sure people will tell you buying new is silly. Buying new when you've got no idea what sort of bike you really want to own is dumb. Just go buy some reliable old used bike and see if you can even stand doing your commute on it. I think the best commuter bikes out there are the upright half faired bikes. So you are looking at the FZ6 or the 650R or some other bikes out there. If you can get an FZ6 within $1000 of a 650R the quality of the bike and resale value would make it a much better purchase.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

I've done a bit of research between the two, and most of what I've gathered is the 650R is much more comfortable to ride, with the ZX6R being more fun, but a bit less comfortable. I will be commuting part time on the bike, but it's a 100 mile ride round trip when I do.

I did a 100 mile round trip on an 05 Ninja and I was just fine, although I used a throttle rocker to keep my wrist comfortable and I started using earplugs.

It's really hard to say what is going to be comfortable because it varies from person to person. I can ride my Ninja for 3 hours at a time, the guy I got it from started hurting in 20 minutes. Being in shape helps a lot cause you can use your core to hold yourself up (instead of your wrists). Other than that, just pour over online bike mags and find which bike has the best ergos for short or tall people. I started thinking I wanted to get a newer CBR1000RR someday until I read the ergos are poo poo for tall people. Now I'm liking the R1 more, since it has adjustable footpegs.

Also you can use CGameProgrammer's awesome invention.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
Thanks for the responses everyone, definitely brought up some points I wasn't 100% on.

2ndclasscitizen: By sport bike I mostly meant sportier than what I have now, plus I like the look with the fairings and all that

Saga: First off, I will definitely be checking out the SV650S, I'm hoping I can find one at a dealer close by, second off, The CBR600F4i is also a bike I was considering, a local dealer has a used one with about 2k on it for the same price as the 650R brand new. I'll have to look into how much they are going for elsewhere, but I'll go give that one a look too.

Spiffness: That's a very good point. I didn't think of it that way.

the walkin dude: Will definitely check them out

Z3n: My reason for buying new is a few things. One is maintenance, warranty, service. My whole life I've owned old stuff, and with my living situation now not lending itself well to working on vehicles it'd be nice to have something I can drop off for service and not have to worry about much else. The other is so I can do short term financing on it. Once I sell my CB550 I will have around $3k to put down, and then finance the rest over 12 months or so. That said, I have still been cruising craigslist daily looking for something used like an SV650, prices are insanely high in my area though, compared to the numbers I see in this thread. 75% of bikes I see that are <10 years old are up for basically brand new prices.

n8r: I started off on a CR60 when I was about 7 years old, did some local amateur racing, moved up to a KDX200 when I was 14, rode that til I was about 21. Did a bit of riding on a friends KX250 as well, and when I was 12 I found an old 60's honda road bike in the garbage, it was only 65cc's but I used to dick around on that as well after I finally got it running. It was painfully slow and 2nd gear didn't work, but it was fun. Didn't do much riding for the past few years until I got my CB (bicycles mostly, living in the city now). My parents garage actually burned down a few months ago with the KDX still in it, and replacement insurance hopefully means I'll be getting back into riding dirt again soon. My experience was a mix of trail and woods riding, and we had some big open areas out in the woods for doing more high speed/jumps and such, basically a motocross track in the middle of nowhere. It's all houses now :(.

Gnaghi: I'm 5'10", which is pretty average I think, so I figure most bikes will be suited for someone around my height. I'm in pretty good shape and even though on my current bike I'm leaned over to the point that my arms doing a lot of the work keeping me up I don't get fatigued that easily on it. I'll just have to try out a few bikes and see what's the most comfortable for me. Also, that program is really helpful, thanks for that.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2391119245.html
Here's my current bike, by the way, if anyone would like to buy it! I actually got a phone call today from a guy who wants to trade me a 92 CBR600F2 (I think that's what it was), any opinions on that bike?

I will be heading down to a dealership or two on saturday and I'll be sure to try out a whole bunch of different bikes to see what seating position is the best.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Z3n: My reason for buying new is a few things. One is maintenance, warranty, service. My whole life I've owned old stuff, and with my living situation now not lending itself well to working on vehicles it'd be nice to have something I can drop off for service and not have to worry about much else. The other is so I can do short term financing on it. Once I sell my CB550 I will have around $3k to put down, and then finance the rest over 12 months or so. That said, I have still been cruising craigslist daily looking for something used like an SV650, prices are insanely high in my area though, compared to the numbers I see in this thread. 75% of bikes I see that are <10 years old are up for basically brand new prices.

Understandable, however with a proven bike like the SV650, it's not going to make a lot of difference if it was made in 05 or in 2010 when it comes to long term engine reliability, as long as basics like the oil were addressed. I'd try to avoid financing any amount of money on one, unless you've got full coverage, as it'd suck to be paying out on a loan for a bike that could be totalled by an unlucky low speed accident.

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2391119245.html
Here's my current bike, by the way, if anyone would like to buy it! I actually got a phone call today from a guy who wants to trade me a 92 CBR600F2 (I think that's what it was), any opinions on that bike?

I will be heading down to a dealership or two on saturday and I'll be sure to try out a whole bunch of different bikes to see what seating position is the best.

The F2 is a good bike, but getting up in years. If his is in good shape with under 25k on it, definitely worth a shot, try to get him to throw in money though. If it's a beater of a ratbike, or over 40k, I'd probably pass unless he's willing to put in a significant amount of cash. Old bikes don't have to be unreliable, it's just important to make sure they're up to date on maintenance, as they do have age and idiot POs working against them. They can definitely be reliable, 100k mile engines and the chassis is solid/it's a good streetbike, much more upright and comfortable than a modern supersport.

I'd avoid the F4 for the same price as the 650, that's way too much for one. Sitting on as many bikes as you can is good...let us know what you end up taking to :)

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
I'd absolutely have full coverage on it no matter what. However, after just getting some insurance quotes, I have changed my mind entirely on getting a new bike, haha.

I just had an email exchange with the CBR600f2 guy, definitely not going for it. In his words: "It's a dope stuny bike". It needs carbs and tires, and he also wants to trade me an old honda trike and a dell laptop. No thanks.

I am definitely looking to go used, but no more than 10 years old. There's an 02 Katana 600 at a dealership by me for just under $3k, which is appealing, but it has 15k on it. There's also the 06 CBR600F4i at another local dealer, but that's starting to push it in price at $5900. It only has 2k on it, though. It's funny, for the same exact coverage, between the 650R and the CBR600F4i, which cost the same, the CBR is waaay cheaper to insure, by over $500 a year. The katana I would imagine is even cheaper. It sucks, though, full coverage on my CB550 is $300 a year, I'm looking at closer to $1k now with a newer bike.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm on the hunt for an SV650 now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd avoid the Katana. It's not a bad bike, but it's not a good one either, you can do better. I'd pass on the F2 for obvious reasons.

Post up when more bikes when you find stuff that seems interesting :)

Nice Sweet Meat
Apr 10, 2007

Z3n posted:

Well, I'd probably show up with $1500 cash. The bike is a fine choice for what you're doing, but I'd be leery because it's streetfightered and that tanks any sort of resale value (as he's discovered with the bike not selling after starting at $2500). As with any motorcycle that's streetfightered, I'd wonder why. "Because I don't like fairings" isn't usually a good answer. In this case, it doesn't look like he's put a handlebar kit on it, so improving ergos is out, which basically means it was crashed hard and this was cheaper than anything else. If you get weird feelings from the guy, if the bike feels funny, if he won't let you test ride it, then walk. Streetfighters can be good bikes for a bargain price, but you gotta be careful because they've nearly always been abused.

Sorry about not replying earlier to this, it just got lost in the shuffle :(

Awesome advice! It had been dropped by the previous previous owner. The corner of the radiator was mashed up a bit, but intact. There's a ding on the tank and the muffler. The forks were straight and I was able to ride no handed on the test ride. I bought it for $1400, about $1100 less than kbb perfect msrp. I've been riding it around all day, and I love this bike. It'll be even better with a speedo and tach. He claims it has less than 10k on it, but who knows without the odometer. I know I'm taking a bit of a gamble, and I've yet to have my mechanic go over it, but I'm having a lot of fun and I intend to ride the wheels off this thing. :shobon:

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcd/2385720031.html
This is the type of poo poo that craigslist is full of in my neighborhood. Brand new 250R: $3900, this guys 13 year old 15k mile 250r that needs work, $3k.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcd/2376627814.html
I'd probably kill myself on this, right?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/2391142817.html
This seems like a good deal, I think? edit: scam

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcy/2389926650.html
I know this is probably hell with maintenance, terrible to ride, and will get stolen in a week, but exactly how dumb would I be to buy it? It seems like a deal with all the stuff it comes with. God, you'd think my italian car ownership would have taught me a lesson.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/2383553519.html
This seems like it might be an alright deal, the only thing is: "my name is Darkness ! CALL ONLY...IM UP ALL NIGHT ! if you dont ask for darkness, you wont speak to me..."

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2380285385.html
A pretty clean looking CBR600F4

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/2386534663.html
A slightly modified ZX6R

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/2381580723.html
Bigger motor than I was looking for, but I'm curious, how would an older 900cc bike compare to a newer 600-750cc bike as far as speed and rideability? I know it will be fast, of course, but compared to a newer, lighter, fuel injected 600 how much of a difference is there?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/2379476757.html
SV650S, not quite local but not too far either. Awaiting pictures.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/mcy/2379038289.html
And this one, cause it's pretty.

Also just got an email back from the CBR600F2 guy, here it is!

I think I might have to pass on it

I really appreciate the help guys, Cycle Asylum rules :3:

omgitstheinternet fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 20, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nice Sweet Meat posted:

Awesome advice! It had been dropped by the previous previous owner. The corner of the radiator was mashed up a bit, but intact. There's a ding on the tank and the muffler. The forks were straight and I was able to ride no handed on the test ride. I bought it for $1400, about $1100 less than kbb perfect msrp. I've been riding it around all day, and I love this bike. It'll be even better with a speedo and tach. He claims it has less than 10k on it, but who knows without the odometer. I know I'm taking a bit of a gamble, and I've yet to have my mechanic go over it, but I'm having a lot of fun and I intend to ride the wheels off this thing. :shobon:

$1400 is a good deal, congrats on the bike! I'd get the valves checked because you don't know what the mileage is, change the oil, lube the chain, and enjoy your new bike! The Trailtech Vapor is a good, cheap gauge solution.

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcd/2385720031.html
This is the type of poo poo that craigslist is full of in my neighborhood. Brand new 250R: $3900, this guys 13 year old 15k mile 250r that needs work, $3k.

Yeah, that's bullshit.

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcd/2376627814.html
I'd probably kill myself on this, right?
Not the bike I'd recommend, also, too expensive for a 10 year old literbike, likely with a lot of miles (not listed).

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/2391142817.html
This seems like a good deal, I think?

That's a decent enough deal, it looks like "show bike" means "Dipped in chrome", but if you can live with that it could be a good bike. Doesn't look lowered, which is nice.

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcy/2389926650.html
I know this is probably hell with maintenance, terrible to ride, and will get stolen in a week, but exactly how dumb would I be to buy it? It seems like a deal with all the stuff it comes with. God, you'd think my italian car ownership would have taught me a lesson.

Those tires are probably toast, the gear is worth maybe $300 together. You want your own gear anyways, not some dude's ancient helmet (helmets should be replaced 5 years from break in or 7 years from date of creation, whichever comes up first). Also, count on having to do the belts on it immediately, and it's expensive, although he might be able to get that for it from someone with italian bike lust. Gear/mods add nothing to the value of bikes, in general.

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/mcy/2383553519.html
This seems like it might be an alright deal, the only thing is: "my name is Darkness ! CALL ONLY...IM UP ALL NIGHT ! if you dont ask for darkness, you wont speak to me..."

Hilarious ad, but has the most potential. Price negotiable means that I bet if you showed up with 2800 he'd bite.

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2380285385.html
A pretty clean looking CBR600F4

Again, politely lowball in person at $2800, emphasis that you'd really like the F4i because :hurr: fuel injection :hurr: but you might be willing to compromise for the right price.

Those are really nice bikes, the ad sort of weirds me out though. Might be worth a shot, but probably a spammer.

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/2381580723.html
Bigger motor than I was looking for, but I'm curious, how would an older 900cc bike compare to a newer 600-750cc bike as far as speed and rideability? I know it will be fast, of course, but compared to a newer, lighter, fuel injected 600 how much of a difference is there?

The difference is all in the low end on the engine, that bike will pull like crazy from low RPM, whereas the newer 600s/750s will really build power. It's still stupid fast, and will still get you in to plenty of trouble, but also has an upright seating position and a reputation for reliability. Only recommended if it's well maintained, in great shape, and you have a lot of self control.

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/2379476757.html
SV650S, not quite local but not too far either. Awaiting pictures.

Too expensive, worth closer to 2k, but might be worth it if you can bargain him down.

quote:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/mcy/2379038289.html
And this one, cause it's pretty.

Way overpriced, probably not well maintained.

quote:

Also just got an email back from the CBR600F2 guy, here it is!

I think I might have to pass on it

I really appreciate the help guys, Cycle Asylum rules

Aww, look at the baby GSX-R swap on that F2. Never mind it leaves all of the electronics exposed, motorcycles don't get ridden in the rain!

Between all of those bikes, I'd focus on the 01 SV650, the 650 of DARKNESS, and that F4.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

All a Nigga Knows
The recurring theme definitely seems to be every bike is overpriced, these are the cheapest ones on craigslist here :(.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/2385227572.html
This seems pretty interesting, although it's going way over my 10 years old or less criteria. It's also 100% more lime green than I was hoping for but if I get close to what I'd like to for my CB I'd be able to get this and have money to spare.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/mcy/2378171818.html
This ad is very strange, but I'll give a call.

I'm going to give Darkness a call this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Haha, that green ninja is so badass. I'd ride it.