Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SterlingArcher
Sep 19, 2010
One of my favorite little things in this game is jumping over the Armadillo railing onto my horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
One of my favorite little things in this game is to put in the drunk code and fall down stairs/ off buildings/ down cliffs.

I love drunk code and stumbling around the wilderness :haw:

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I turn on my drunk and invincibility code immediately after getting a good jump off a cliff. Good times.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Green Puddin posted:

I turn on my drunk and invincibility code immediately after getting a good jump off a cliff. Good times.

This but the second I see a cougar or bear about to murder my horse/ The second I pilot a chariot a little bit too close to a cliffside

drunk code is best code maybe GTA 5/ RDR 2 will take a hint and let me be drunk where I want when I want and how I want

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I bought this game on launch.

I'm only now discovering how little the good people of Thieves Landing care if one of their folk get shoved off a dock into the water, or find a pile of 5 corpses piled up next to them.

Melee Throwing Knives are the best thing. :ese:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Go into Armadillo and the bar there and just start shoving people, eventually someone will draw on you and you'll (I believe) be doing self defense. Alternatively, go to Thieves landing with positive honor and you will have a whole town gunning for you.

I push around Walton's Gang members all the time. As soon as he tries to punch me I put some buckshot into his chest and the law gives no fucks.

VoidAltoid
Sep 27, 2005

fennesz posted:

I push around Walton's Gang members all the time. As soon as he tries to punch me I put some buckshot into his chest and the law gives no fucks.

You'd think they'd stop showing up after they keep getting shot there, but sure enough every time I walk into the Armadillo saloon there's 4 or 5 of them that I dead-eye headshot before grabbing several drinks and stumbling out as the majestic hero that I am.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Poor Cabin183, he's the most patient dude. We're trying to do some MP but my broken mic means I can only communicate by jumping up for yes and running in a circle for no.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Finally managed to bring down a bear with the melee knife today! I tried all sorts of tactics; even hijacked a stage coach to use as a safe haven whilst in bear territory. This backfired when I ended up getting trapped inside the passenger cabin by a pack of really angry bears.

However after alot of dying, I discovered that bears can be lassoed!
This confuses/stuns the bear, and allows you to keep it temporarily in check while you close in with the knife. Remember to soften it up a bit with your weaker weapons before doing this. Happy huntin' :clint:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I really wish there were some way I could get ahold of all the cutscenes in this game, dialogue or otherwise. I guess I could replay the game and record the entire thing, but christ. I have this fantasy of taking all of them and editing them together into a full length movie. I think I'd like to do it with all of Rockstar's games, from GTAIV on. They tell such fantastic stories, it's a shame non-gamers have to miss them.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Mandrel posted:

I really wish there were some way I could get ahold of all the cutscenes in this game, dialogue or otherwise. I guess I could replay the game and record the entire thing, but christ. I have this fantasy of taking all of them and editing them together into a full length movie. I think I'd like to do it with all of Rockstar's games, from GTAIV on. They tell such fantastic stories, it's a shame non-gamers have to miss them.

Do that, and then I'll make a half-hour "WHERE'S BILL WILLIAMSON/HAVIER ESCUELA/SETH YOU ARE ONE MOTHERFUCKING GROSS DUDE/YOU SHOT ME AND LEFT ME TO DIE!/OK THIS IS THE LAST SIDE MISSION THEN YOU ARE GONNA TELL ME!" best-of reel.

Found the War horse for the first time in UN last night. Wheeeee!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Found the War horse for the first time in UN last night. Wheeeee!

I finally found Famine. No glitch. :unsmith:

He was in the ONE part of Mexico I hadn't visited. I was crossing Butter Bridge to finally give up and finish the story when..."A Mystical Creature Has Appeared".

Yayyy! :dance:

Death, on the other hand...I found him in north of the Scratching Post, at midnight...during a loving THUNDERSTORM. Even in Dead Eye I couldn't see the drat horse. gently caress you game.

I settled for receiving him post-game. Would have liked to get all the outfits prior to zombie John. .

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I finally found Famine. No glitch. :unsmith:

He was in the ONE part of Mexico I hadn't visited. I was crossing Butter Bridge to finally give up and finish the story when..."A Mystical Creature Has Appeared".

Yayyy! :dance:

Death, on the other hand...I found him in north of the Scratching Post, at midnight...during a loving THUNDERSTORM. Even in Dead Eye I couldn't see the drat horse. gently caress you game.

I settled for receiving him post-game. Would have liked to get all the outfits prior to zombie John. .

Is there a reason you couldn't make another save before you beat the game? :confused:

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Mandrel posted:

Don't wanna rain on your parade, but the director of The Proposition already did this with RDR, it was on TV and everything as part of the promo push for the game.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Sco Dylan posted:

Don't wanna rain on your parade, but the director of The Proposition already did this with RDR, it was on TV and everything as part of the promo push for the game.
It also wasn't very good :(

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Here it is. Basically summarizes a portion of the main storyline.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZUUVV2rjoc

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Sco Dylan posted:

Yeah, I've seen it. It wasn't really indicative of the game's storyline as a whole, or even the progression of the game's plot within the tiny part it covered.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I just started playing this and it's pretty drat good. Without spoiling much, I just want to know if there is stuff I can miss and never get again, or if there is a point of no return or anything like that. That poo poo is stupid.

Good game though :)

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

PirateNipple posted:

I just started playing this and it's pretty drat good. Without spoiling much, I just want to know if there is stuff I can miss and never get again, or if there is a point of no return or anything like that. That poo poo is stupid.

The only thing you need to do as soon as possible and immediately upon gaining the opportunity is the "I Know You" stranger sidequest missions. If you don't, there's an event late in the game which prevents you from going back and doing them.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PirateNipple posted:

There's a point of no return (as in, a fairly big thing happens and you can't go back), but you can keep playing anyway. There's only one mission that you can't do after this point, so be sure to finish up the stranger mission "I Know You" before beating the game.

efb

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

Thanks dudes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
When you get late late into the game and the end of a mission has you coming down a mountain, don't go to to the letter destination on your map right away. Go to a property and make a separate save, then go do that mission.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!
Also remember that you have cut off its third and fourth tentacles before the rest of them or your horse explodes

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

It's the SECOND and third tentacle, not the fourth.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ugh. I was playing what I think was the last mission last night (And the last enemy shall be destroyed) and managed to clear the ranch and leave the barn. Then my game froze on the loading screen and my disc began making a horrible noise. I took it out as quickly as I could, but I took it out and saw it had a big scratch in the centre. I try playing it this morning and it won't load.

Is there any kind of disc replacement programme? I have a feeling I was pretty near the end.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Man I played so much RDR last year. Is the zombie DLC worth it for somebody who played the game to hell anyway? It sounds pretty awesome but I did get tired of tramping around the deserts. I normally had most of my fun in the towns, it was so visceral when I decided to throw a six-shooter tantrum at the poker table.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

justcola posted:

Ugh. I was playing what I think was the last mission last night (And the last enemy shall be destroyed) and managed to clear the ranch and leave the barn. Then my game froze on the loading screen and my disc began making a horrible noise. I took it out as quickly as I could, but I took it out and saw it had a big scratch in the centre. I try playing it this morning and it won't load.

Is there any kind of disc replacement programme? I have a feeling I was pretty near the end.

I don't have any suggestions, and I'm sure someone here will, I just really feel bad for you, not being able to play once you reach that point of the game.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Man I played so much RDR last year. Is the zombie DLC worth it for somebody who played the game to hell anyway? It sounds pretty awesome but I did get tired of tramping around the deserts. I normally had most of my fun in the towns, it was so visceral when I decided to throw a six-shooter tantrum at the poker table.

I have it, and I love it. I'll play both versions of the game fairly regularly. It really feel likes a slightly different game. There's not quite as much running from place to place (I think, that could be in my head). And there are plenty of new elements that keep the game fresh. Towns are a completely different experience. I recommend it.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I don't have any suggestions, and I'm sure someone here will, I just really feel bad for you, not being able to play once you reach that point of the game.

I have it, and I love it. I'll play both versions of the game fairly regularly. It really feel likes a slightly different game. There's not quite as much running from place to place (I think, that could be in my head). And there are plenty of new elements that keep the game fresh. Towns are a completely different experience. I recommend it.

Ahhh gently caress I'll buy it. :dance: I'm excited. If Red Dead had a PC release it would probably be my favourite game ever. I don't know why but bodies disappearing when I'm ten feet away and look in the other direction is pretty jarring.

e: There seems to be a dlc collection disk out, do the dlc weapons appear in both Red Dead and Undead if I buy this? On the other hand most of it seems to be multiplayer content, but tomahawks sound like just the kind of thing I'll use forever.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 23, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Does Undead Nightmare continue with the slapstick 4th wall breaking humor throughout? Kind of a major departure from the original game, but I think it works for what the expansion is. I've only played for about 10-15 minutes so far but its a hilarious change of pace already. Just kind of jarring from what I've come to expect from these characters.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Does Undead Nightmare continue with the slapstick 4th wall breaking humor throughout? Kind of a major departure from the original game, but I think it works for what the expansion is. I've only played for about 10-15 minutes so far but its a hilarious change of pace already. Just kind of jarring from what I've come to expect from these characters.

It's not so much slapstick nor fourth-wall breaking but it's a bit silly, and Marston's got this "Not this poo poo again :doh:" expression/tone to him the whole time. But me, someone who loves shooting zombies and getting payed with bullets, played this to death almost as much as he spent killing critters in Tall Trees. Honestly, the best DLC I've ever bought.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Morter posted:

Marston's got this "Not this poo poo again :doh:" expression/tone to him the whole time.

I laughed my rear end off when he rode into a zombie-infested town and shouted "What fresh hell is this!"

Also love his frustration at coming up empty when he searches most zombies.
"GODDAMN THIS GODFORSAKEN SHITHOLE!"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

I laughed my rear end off when he rode into a zombie-infested town and shouted "What fresh hell is this!"

Also love his frustration at coming up empty when he searches most zombies.
"GODDAMN THIS GODFORSAKEN SHITHOLE!"

I hate to post so quickly, but this is a big help for those who don't know: Before you get the Blunderbuss, which makes use of zombie parts, zombie corpses will turn up "empty"/without loot except for ones with gun belts on them. Up until then, only zombies with ammo on them will have "x"s on the minimap, which is a real damned help. Then you get the blunderbuss and they all have "x"s.

Then you get full up on zombie parts and Marston starts cursing again :rant:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

thrawn527 posted:

I looked at the rockstar page and they can send me a new copy for a fee, as long as I send the receipt. I'm in England though, so not sure if that works out (its a NY address).

It's a shame really as I spent so much time doing all the challenges and stuff and now I can't even use my legend of the west outfit as I killed boss bear towards the end. I've had a real lovely month though and have been playing this in my free time, so I may just call it a day and pretend the game finished when you left the barn as I don't really want to be reminded of recent events. I like the game though.

:unsmith:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Morter posted:

I hate to post so quickly, but this is a big help for those who don't know: Before you get the Blunderbuss, which makes use of zombie parts, zombie corpses will turn up "empty"/without loot except for ones with gun belts on them. Up until then, only zombies with ammo on them will have "x"s on the minimap, which is a real damned help. Then you get the blunderbuss and they all have "x"s.

Then you get full up on zombie parts and Marston starts cursing again :rant:

Huh. I noticed the Xs but didn't pay much attention to them. My big problem with searching bodies is that the button prompt feels "tighter" than in the standard game, meaning you have to be standing at exactly the right three pixels for the prompt to appear. It seems that way anyway.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Huh. I noticed the Xs but didn't pay much attention to them. My big problem with searching bodies is that the button prompt feels "tighter" than in the standard game, meaning you have to be standing at exactly the right three pixels for the prompt to appear. It seems that way anyway.

It takes a little getting used to, but I recall riding up on my horse to a downed body and getting the timing right for dismounting from a gallop, "landing" on a body, looting and remounting pretty precisely.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see that you were talking about Nightmare there. I didn't notice any such shrunk area, but it's been a while since I played.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
As it turns out, having the ending spoiled for you doesn't really alter the impact.

Like, at all.

oh god

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

As it turns out, having the ending spoiled for you doesn't really alter the impact.

Like, at all.

oh god

I'm pretty sure I'm right at the end now, will finish it tomorrow before playing Nightmare. :ohdear:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I'm pretty sure I'm right at the end now, will finish it tomorrow before playing Nightmare. :ohdear:

Isn't over til you've seen credits, remember.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Why oh why did I finish this game.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Why oh why did I finish this game.

Why do we finish Red Dead Redemption, Master Bruce? So we can play it again.

• Locked thread