Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veegie
Jan 6, 2011
I took Minka to the park the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Ohmigod, those ones with the disc around her neck :3: Silly dog.

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:

Veegie posted:

Corgi centrifuge training?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I was looking at my 10 week old today and thought she looked a little thin. Im seeing a bunch of different information and I figured I would get a more definitive answer here.

Were feeding her Science Diet puppy dry food, 1/2 cup twice a day. Shes got access to water whenever she wants and she seems to do all of her bathroom stuff without any problem. Right now she weighs about 8.5 pounds, but right after her ribs end, she looks pretty skinny.

She isnt begging for more food or anything, I just want to make sure Im not doing anything that could stunt her growth.

She goes in for her second series of shots next Wednesday. Then I can finally start taking her for walks!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Gray Stormy posted:

feeding her Science Diet puppy dry food, 1/2 cup twice a day.

Check out the stickied nutrition thread. Getting her on a better diet may help her gain some poundage, but in general thin is good. What most people consider 'normal weight' on a dog is actually too fat, and with a small-jointed dog like a Corgi, you want to keep weight off, rather than put weight on. A well-conditioned dog should have a visible waist, and you should be able to feel the ribs under a thin layer of fat.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

Check out the stickied nutrition thread. Getting her on a better diet may help her gain some poundage, but in general thin is good. What most people consider 'normal weight' on a dog is actually too fat, and with a small-jointed dog like a Corgi, you want to keep weight off, rather than put weight on. A well-conditioned dog should have a visible waist, and you should be able to feel the ribs under a thin layer of fat.

Ill check it out ASAP.

Sounds like her figure is just fine then!

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Our 1yr old male is only 18lbs, and we also thought that there was something stunting him. The vet says he is healthy. He's not skinny with ribs poking out or anything and he doesn't beg for food, so it looks like we just have a little man! We nicknamed him P-squared, which stands for Perpetual Puppy :3:

Crunch Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 4, 2011

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That's how Taziki is. She's just small and the vet said she should stay around 22lbs to avoid any back strain.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Gray Stormy posted:

Ill check it out ASAP.

Sounds like her figure is just fine then!

I dunno... I would probably feed your pup all she wants for the first few months, and not worry about her figure until she's 6-8 months old.

But yeah, definitely get her on some better food.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

It's crazy for me to see some of these smaller on the weight size Corgs. Frank the Tank showed up to the vet at 40 lbs and I thought we were going to get an rear end chewing for him getting fat despite him tapering at the waist and being able to feel his ribs. No hanging belly or anything, just heavy.

Turns out they that he's just a jumbo corg and that he was completely @ a healthy weight for him. Definitely on the opposite end of some of the other posters here!

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
Beanie is 18 pounds at almost 2 years. Vet says she is a perfectly sized petite Corgi!

A few weeks ago, she somehow got into some chocolate (we had guests over, ugh) and we had to rush her to the emergency doggy care center. Goodbye, $800! It was worth it to make sure she was okay though.

She is really quite a pest when you want to study/not pay attention to her though. :3:

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

I think they just come in a variety of healthy weights and sizes. Our oldest boy, Dexter, is 34lbs (down from 46lbs.. we let him get way too chunky a couple of years ago) The vet said he has a "perfect waistline" now and is at a good weight.. he is just SO much bigger than Dewey! He's our little hambeast.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin was about that weight when he was 10 weeks, maybe a little more. He's now almost 8 months and 26.2 lbs! My big boy. :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All of you talking about the sizes of your corgi without posting pictures need to rectify this immediately so we have visual evidence :colbert: Wandering around on Tumblr for corgi pictures is not nearly as awesome

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Tendai posted:

All of you talking about the sizes of your corgi without posting pictures need to rectify this immediately so we have visual evidence :colbert: Wandering around on Tumblr for corgi pictures is not nearly as awesome

I post a couple every week! http://www.tazikiworld.com

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
...I did not know this existed! Yessss. Feed my corgi desire because I'm years away from having one :3:

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Tendai posted:

Lola(9 weeks) and I playing with a toy :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
D'awww that's just ridiculous :3: And look at those perfect socks on her legs.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I'm starting to compile a wishlist for the upcoming pup, so I'd like to know:
What is your corgi's favorite toy?

We've bought a Kong Wobbler for now, and we add to the growing stash every month (to offset the tremendous cost so it's not all at once depleting the bank account), so what should we add next?

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

My boys destroy anything plush, so if your pup is anything like mine I'd just steer clear of anything that's not really sturdy and stick to Kong toys, cow bones, nylabones, etc.

Both Dex and Dewey love tennis balls. They are obsessed.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah nylabones are huge in our house because Taziki dominates anything plush in a matter of seconds.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
I find the Kong hole to be too big for treats to stay in there long. We have a "Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude" (hehe) toy: http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Busy-Buddy-Squirrel-Medium/dp/B000A61GNO

This thing is hefty, sturdy, and man does it bounce high. Beanie and I were playing with it today. I threw it and it bounced out of our yard and over 2 driveways. The treat hole also has these rubber things that make getting treats out harder.

I tried getting Beanie one of those giant egg toys that roll around (I thin they're called Jolly Eggs) but she was terrified of it. I might try again now that she's older now.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Lola has a plush lion that she chews on and sleeps with. She hasnt come close to destroying it yet. She also totally ignores Kong toys. Nylabones and semi-hard/soft chewy things drive her crazy though.

She also loves to play with the laser pointer. I had her and one of our cats chasing a dot together today. :3:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Crunch Bucket posted:

Please tell me you have a really big version of this.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

The Dave posted:

I post a couple every week! http://www.tazikiworld.com

The levels of cuteness are astounding. I'm giving you a shout-out from my blogs facebook page (I feel weird for typing that).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Why thank you! Taziki has no problem being really goofy. Though I have to admit keeping up with the blog is starting to get hard, I need to make a big folder of archived images of her so it's not me at my work desk scrambling to find something in my phone.

PeetsZahut
Jul 9, 2008

Winston seems pretty darn lean and tall compared to some other Corgi's I see.

Sorta Rican
Feb 10, 2007
“Who says I am not under the special protection of God?” - Adolf Hitler
This is Ruby my 2 year old Cardigan. We have a Pitbull in the house so the only toys we can have out are the extra large nylabones.

I'm not sure if she can't or refuses to, but she never catches any treats when I throw them to her. She just let's them bounce off her head and eats them off the ground. Anyone else notice that with their corgi's or it it just her?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
It's just her. My Pembroke will try and catch a treat like 10 feet in the air. She won't make it, of course, but god help her she tries.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Taziki is about a 50/50 split on whether or not she will try to catch something or just let it hit her. I think over time she's going to be going for catching more though, she seems to enjoy it and it's still a relatively new concept to her.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin didn't know how to catch things in the air until we started bouncing his ball for him. Once he got the hang of it, he'll grab treats we toss, too!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin didn't know how to catch things in the air until we started bouncing his ball for him. Once he got the hang of it, he'll grab treats we toss, too!

Corgis are pretty good jumpers, right? We've been steadily working Husker up to where we have him sit and then toss a treat high enough that he has to jump for it, it's a pretty cool trick. All four feet leave the ground. I bet a corgi would be able to do much more impressive aerial maneuvers than a big lanky greyhound :3:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Corgis are made out of springs. Sometimes were walking and oh hey Taziki just jumped up a 3-4 foot high well somehow and we just look at each other going, "What the? How the hell?..."

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Yesterday Lola pulled my shemagh off our living room table and after rolling around for a bit with it, she fell asleep.

MurderouslySly
Feb 15, 2008

That Geek Chick
Hello lovely Corgi lovers :-)

I've been doing a ton of research online and I'm really dismayed by the number of BYB/Puppy Mill breeders I am finding. Some of these puppies don't even LOOK like Corgis! Long story short, I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with any breeders within MD/DC/VA/WVa/Maybe Southern PA area? It seems like a lot of the ones listed on the PWCCA site don't have websites, and while I've been sending out tons of emails and calling people, I would be far, far happier with an educated recommendation. Ideally we're looking for someone within 4 hours of the DC metro so we can visit before purchasing.

Thanks muchly!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

MurderouslySly posted:

I've been doing a ton of research online and I'm really dismayed by the number of BYB/Puppy Mill breeders I am finding. Some of these puppies don't even LOOK like Corgis! Long story short, I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with any breeders within MD/DC/VA/WVa/Maybe Southern PA area? It seems like a lot of the ones listed on the PWCCA site don't have websites, and while I've been sending out tons of emails and calling people, I would be far, far happier with an educated recommendation. Ideally we're looking for someone within 4 hours of the DC metro so we can visit before purchasing.

Thanks muchly!

Our breeder isn't breeding right now, but I know of another lady out in Culpeper, VA. Dalarno Corgis. Loki's father (trucker) is from there. http://www.dalarno.com/index.html

Yes, the webpage looks like it was made in 1995, but don't let that detract you from getting a puppy from her. She doesn't have any right NOW, but she may soon. It's about 2.5 hours from DC.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

MurderouslySly posted:

Long story short, I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with any breeders within MD/DC/VA/WVa/Maybe Southern PA area?

I can ask my dad's girlfriend, she used to show corgis back in the day and still has one (or two, I think?), and lives in RVA.

We spent a couple of hours tonight jawing about crazy dogs we've known :)

Sorta Rican
Feb 10, 2007
“Who says I am not under the special protection of God?” - Adolf Hitler

MurderouslySly posted:

Thanks muchly!

We met with Cathy from Vestivia located in Reston, VA http://www.phi-vestavia.com/index.html
She was very knowledgable and answered all our questions we had about the breed. She is also very selective as to who she sells to. On the website it says she's been breeding Cardigans since 1975 and has had 100s of champions. All of her dogs were very well behaved and had great temperament. We didn't end up buying from her because she didn't have any available at the time and she doesn't breed Merle's, but she offered to help us if we had any questions or needed help with anything. I would definitely check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Oh my goodness, guys, I just got to meet my puppy today. :3:

He's 5 weeks old, so I get to bring him home in 3 weeks. I was up in her area today so I asked if I could stop by, and she was super accommodating despite me calling kind of late. I got to meet the sire, dam, and all the litter, plus the few other corgis she had. They were all wonderfully socialized, the puppies bounced to meet new people, and I got to spend an hour playing with corgis and five week old corgi puppies.

Here's my little dude. He was wanting to suck on my fingers. :3:

I was amazed that their ears are starting to come up already (not that you could see it in this pic). One of his sisters had her ears mostly standing already.

• Locked thread