Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OK so help me out here. I just remembered I started playing through Final Fantasy IX and got reasonably far in it. I loaded up my save and I can't remember much of what's going on so I need somebody to give me a brief rundown of what's happened in the story and some idea of what I have to do next.

I do remember bits and pieces so I'm hoping if I get a rundown I'll remember what's what. I'm on disc 3, I'm level 52. I'd just saved in Gizamaluke's Grotto but don't remember if I just got done there or if I maybe went back there for some reason. The party members on the ship are talking about finding Terra. I know it's not a lot to go on but if people can give me some ideas I'll probably also be able to answer questions about what I've already done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

I've never gotten that far into FFIX but there's a nice story synopsis here that can bring you up to speed. Have you rescued Amarant and is your party split up into four groups, or are you past that point? If so it looks like you're supposed to head to Shimmering Island. Like I said I've never been that far into the game but hopefully this is helpful.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
you could read the plot synopsis on wikipedia up until it says you have to find Terra, probably the easiest thing really

edit: whoops, beaten

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oh, yeah, I have Amarant. I don't know why I didn't think of looking at wikipedia.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Genpei Turtle posted:

Also, depending on what language you're playing her name may be Pamela. (She's Pamela in every language but English I believe)

Haha, I never knew this. Secret of Mana has some weird names all throughout. Isn't the main character's default name (not that you see it in-game) Randi?

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Haha, I never knew this. Secret of Mana has some weird names all throughout. Isn't the main character's default name (not that you see it in-game) Randi?

According to wikipedia, yes. I always just named him Hero, hurray for originality.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ChuckDHead posted:

Okay, so I really suck at Secret of Mana. I finally beat that gnome king boss (running around him in circles as Randi while spamming Popoi's Acid Storm attack and completely forgetting about the ice sword spell did the trick for some reason)
This logic might a bit video game backwards, but the most expensive spell is not always the most powerful spell, especially in Freeze vs Acid Rain; I'm pretty sure Acid Rain's base power is lower than Freeze because it has the passive Defense- effect.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Am I the only one that didn't like how the entire cast of Chrono Trigger go on to basically have their lives ruined mere years later? Its puts a big :smith: on the whole quest. Doubly so because its one of the most likable casts in an RPG and you want things to go "happily ever after". Then it doesn't. And don't even get me started on the extra ending on CT DS.

Its like if at the end of Return of the Jedi, everyone precedes to get bubonic plague and die horrible deaths the very next day.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 22, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Cross-posting from the SSI Gold Box thread:

Did anyone play a Mac shareware RPG in the '90s named Realmz? It took me forever to remember the name. It played a lot like the SSI AD&D games and was a lot of fun. I was just googling around for it and it sounds like it was never updated to run on Mac OS X :(

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Drunken Butterfly posted:

According to wikipedia, yes. I always just named him Hero, hurray for originality.
Haha, I did the same thing for Sword of Mana for the GBA way back when. I never did beat it though...

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

Ross posted:

Cross-posting from the SSI Gold Box thread:

Did anyone play a Mac shareware RPG in the '90s named Realmz? It took me forever to remember the name. It played a lot like the SSI AD&D games and was a lot of fun. I was just googling around for it and it sounds like it was never updated to run on Mac OS X :(
Yeah I loved that game. Even got my dad to register it and a couple of scenarios for me. They were supposed to make a science fiction version too, not sure what happened to that. I think I played a demo at some point.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Choppable posted:

Yeah I loved that game. Even got my dad to register it and a couple of scenarios for me. They were supposed to make a science fiction version too, not sure what happened to that. I think I played a demo at some point.

It looks like the developer released the full registered version for free download a few years ago, with the scenarios for $5 each. You can get them at the Fantasoft website. It won't run in Mac OS X but there's a Windows version too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ross posted:

It looks like the developer released the full registered version for free download a few years ago, with the scenarios for $5 each. You can get them at the Fantasoft website. It won't run in Mac OS X but there's a Windows version too.
Ah, nice to see the windows version is still well behind the mac version, even after all these years. :allears:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah

Er, I should be excited about this right? I haven't played either of the Persona 2s so I don't know if they're really any good or not.

More importantly, why does that girl have hearts on her boobs? It's not very flattering I have to say.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Persona 2 is the best SMT title by a fairly large margin (with the caveat that I haven't played Persona 4 and am not finished with Nocturne).

The battle system is probably a bit archaic by P3 or P4 standards, but it's still a step up from the tedium of Persona 1 and should be sleek enough in the PSP remake to work just fine. It's mostly the story and music that I think puts it heads and shoulders above other SMT titles, though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah

Yes, you absolutely should be excited. Persona 2 is excellent, and Innocent Sin is previously unreleased stateside. (P2 is split into Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, two separate stories entirely which kind of mirror each other.) Game owns, there's a ton of poo poo to do, I didn't even vaguely complete EP despite sinking over a hundred hours into it, talking to demons has never been more fun.

Maya has hearts on her boobs because let's positive thinking.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Stelas posted:

let's positive thinking.

I've seen this many times today, is it some type of in-joke that I'm not going? Bad translation or something?

EDIT:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Can someone explain the relationship between Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment to me? I'm trying to read about it and it sounds like it's kind of a sequel but not really, and the main character is different? Are you supposed to play both or just one? Not that it matters since there aren't any EP remake plans right now. :\

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

HondaCivet posted:

Can someone explain the relationship between Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment to me? I'm trying to read about it and it sounds like it's kind of a sequel but not really, and the main character is different? Are you supposed to play both or just one? Not that it matters since there aren't any EP remake plans right now. :\

From what I've read, Eternal Punishment is the sequel to IS, but they basically have the same story?

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
is there a straightforward explanation on the continuity between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross? Maybe something in a comic format, or chart? Because I've been confused about this forever.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

HondaCivet posted:

It is a continuation of one story I think, the main character in EP is one of the characters in Innocent Sin. And EP was released in English for Playstation so you can now play both with official English translations

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

HondaCivet posted:

I haven't played them but from what I hear I think they are supposed to be directly continuous, like parts 1 and 2 to the "Persona 2" story, but you might not notice it from only playing Eternal Punishment because for whatever reason the characters don't remember, or something?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Persona 2 stuff

Eternal Punishment is a direct sequel and the games are intended to be played in sequential order, but the way in which the two are connected is a mystery resolved by the plot of EP. The main character of EP is a major character in Innocent Sin and vice versa, and the relationship between the two is central to the plot.

EDIT: ^^^ yeah, that's true too. EP can functionally stand alone (and did until recently for many American gamers who didn't really have much of a choice unless they spoke Japanese) but playing IS enriches it and in any case if you like the SMT series you'll want to play both halves anyway because it's a great game.

EDIT 2: One interesting thing I forgot to mention for people who haven't played it is that the main characters are "silent protagonist" types where the player fills in the blanks and makes dialogue choices in their respective games, but are actually strongly characterized in the other's game. This is both a pretty unique experience (since few RPGs have direct sequels of that sort, and those that do often have you playing the same protagonist) and one of the ways in which the games are enriched by playing both.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 24, 2011

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

This Jacket Is Me posted:

is there a straightforward explanation on the continuity between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross? Maybe something in a comic format, or chart? Because I've been confused about this forever.

No, there's not an easy explanation. I have a copy of a huge document where some dude tries to explain everything. Good luck.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Paperhouse posted:

It is a continuation of one story I think, the main character in EP is one of the characters in Innocent Sin. And EP was released in English for Playstation so you can now play both with official English translations

Yeah but it's really rare and expensive. :( It didn't end up on PSN did it?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Spectral Werewolf posted:

No, there's not an easy explanation. I have a copy of a huge document where some dude tries to explain everything. Good luck.

Jeez, the whole storyline really is the contradiction-laden imagining of some 11 year old kid. There's so much poo poo in the storyline that doesn't really fit and it's just "well in this world adjusting the timeline changes that.... but not that! Just because :colbert:".

I like to think MacBeth's soliloquy was really talking about the retarded Chrono storyline and JRPG's in general:

quote:

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Goreld fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 24, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chrono Cross should really be thought of as its own little stand-alone story. At most serving as a side story to Chrono Trigger. I mean I love both games but the connections are really vague and iffy and hand-wave-ish.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
i've always wondered where exactly the El Nido archipelago is supposed to be in Chrono world, considering you can fly around the globe in Chrono Trigger and it doesn't exist anywhere

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also personally I can't really see the rationale in playing just Eternal Punishment. It's kind of stand-alone but I can't imagine appreciating it nearly as much without experiencing Innocent Sin. I mean I know that's all US players had to play, but when I played both IS and EP back-to-back a couple of years ago it truly did feel like one continuous experience where the first game smoothly led into the other. I'm very gladly I waited until the IS fan-translation patch came out.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Welp, not going to get around to this tonight.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

i've always wondered where exactly the El Nido archipelago is supposed to be in Chrono world, considering you can fly around the globe in Chrono Trigger and it doesn't exist anywhere
I believe that it is genuinely supposed to have not existed during the events of Chrono Trigger because ~time travel~. Chrono Cross taking a much less casual approach to it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Also personally I can't really see the rationale in playing just Eternal Punishment. It's kind of stand-alone but I can't imagine appreciating it nearly as much without experiencing Innocent Sin. I mean I know that's all US players had to play, but when I played both IS and EP back-to-back a couple of years ago it truly did feel like one continuous experience where the first game smoothly led into the other. I'm very gladly I waited until the IS fan-translation patch came out.

I played a bit of EP before IS, and I kept feeling like there were references I was missing. It was a good game, but that was always in the back of my mind and lessened my enjoyment of it significantly.

Now that the english patch for the PSX version of IS is out and there's an imminent PSP remake that's likely to be localized (last I checked), there's really no reason not to start with IS.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

It was created by people from the future and then sent back in time to study because...science? Hell I dunno, it's been a while. I think they ran out of time developing the game and had to force all the plot revelations into maybe 20-30 minutes of pure infodumps. Makes the whole story very difficult to digest.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
El Nido isn't in the original CT because the original timeline had a future ruined by Lavos. Once Lavos was defeated, the non-ruined future was able to develop and the time research centre Chronopolis was built. In non-ruined 2300 AD, an experiment was performed (involving the Frozen Flame?) that created a time explosion, propelling Chronopolis far into the past (12000 BC, or thereabouts?).

Insert events about Dinopolis here.

Once Chronopolis emerged dominant from its war with Dinopolis, the dragons' power was divided and formed the El Nido Archipelago. It continued to exist for thousands of years, up to (or around) the events of Chrono Trigger, which is how it becomes involved in the post-CT extra events. For what it's worth, El Nido is somewhere off the shore of Porre. The population is mostly descendents of the researchers from Chronopolis, who purposely kept themselves isolated to minimize further time fuckery (how noble!).

The stuff involving Lynx, Serge, 'Kidd,' the Frozen Flame and the post-CT clusterfuck are linked to a separate event unrelated to the time explosion. This event is what caused the dimensional split; for what it's worth, the world with Dead Serge is the 'real' world from CT.

I probably have some details wrong but I haven't played CT in years, and all this info really is provided during a short-but-verbose infodump very late in an often tedious game. I liked the game well enough, and consider it a nice little CT side story, but it's hardly a true sequel. It would probably be less offensive if the whole drat thing took place in an alternate dimension, considering how it butchered the 'happily ever after' tone of CT's best ending. Or if it had at least butchered it with a tighter, more polished game.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
Not sure why but I feel like time travel should be a one off plot device or something that's more of a well guarded secret that could be brought back. A whole city/research center built to research time rubs me the wrong way.

In CT it was cool because the one time machine that existed was during a time of scientific and cultural enlightenment. The only other instance of time travel was accidental due to an experiment in teleportation reacting oddly to an ancient artifact from the age of enlightenment. I just don't like the idea of using a single ridiculous plot device as a basis for an entire future civilization. There's too much potential for fuckery and terrible plot elements. Time travel has to be handled well. Most writers hate doing time travel stories but when it's done well it's awesome. CT's plot revolved around time travel but its involvement in time was pretty straightforward. You basically had 5 time periods and they interact with each other in simple and intuitive ways but other than that, they were basically different/isolated zones. There was evidence of timelines changing if you gently caress things up but they never really dealt with diverging timelines affecting each other. That's when it just gets stupid.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 25, 2011

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Ice Blue posted:

Not sure why but I feel like time travel should be a one off plot device or something that's more of a well guarded secret that could be brought back. A whole city/research center built to research time rubs me the wrong way.

Well, it somewhat makes sense, given the context of the game. I think the 'official' ending of the game still puts the death of Lavos in 1999 AD; even if it was 12000 BC, the events of the Ocean Palace still occur. That means the Guru of Time still ends up in 2300 AD, the time-altering energy of Lavos still exists on the planet in some capacity and Schala is still out there loving things up with her powerful Lavos-resonance. I do agree that it doesn't feel right - it even has that 'itch between the shoulder blades' kind of wrongness to it - but it's at least explainable to some degree.

Preview edit: I see what you're driving at now. I totally agree; it's the kind of thing that can't just be shoe-horned into a sequel because it's too easy to end up turning into a lovely fan-fic.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.
Well I know that the time stuff still exists out there but for thousands of years between 12000BC and 1999AD, Lavos wasn't really an issue despite the time affecting energy existing. And it only became an issue when it was accidentally discovered in 1000AD. So for almost 14000 years, it was hardly an issue. If Lavos got killed at 1999AD, then it hardly becomes an issue in the future after that so it could have been a well kept secret that comes up because some fuckery of someone discovering it.

Imagine if BttF part 2 was about some bullshit scenario involving Doc Brown creating a lab/city in the future built around loving with time. It just comes off dumb. It's like if someone discovered the fountain of youth instead of it staying some one off secret he creates a lab/city to research it and exploit it at will. It's such a ridiculous plot device to be sharing/researched. It has unlimited possibilities and doing a time explosion is scientifically irresponsible. Even in the age of enlightenment, time travel was known about but kept secret by the sages. Making a time research center is just asking for it. It's hubris in the most contrived way.

On a slightly different topic, in the original CT timeline, why doesn't the future take into account that Lucca discovered time travel in 1000AD, thus making 1999 and 2300AD kinda impossible to predict? :v:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WrightOfWay posted:

I just got a DS, what are some good RPGs for it?

People have already replied to this, but I just thought to mention try to borrow or rent World Ends With You before buying it. I'm cool with trying new systems or playing styles (I liked Baten Kaitos' card system) but I just couldn't get into the fighting system in World Ends with You at all. I tried my hardest to get into it and it just wasn't working for me. I don't know if I'm old school or not or stylus magic just isn't for me. Probably the latter.

It got average reviews and some people hate it but as an old school RPG fan, I got Glory of Heracles for $10 and enjoyed it, even if it was a bit easy. I'm playing through Dragon Quest V right now and it's loving perfect for my tastes. So I guess it all depends on what you like in your RPG.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captain Vittles posted:

The population is mostly descendents of the researchers from Chronopolis, who purposely kept themselves isolated to minimize further time fuckery (how noble!).

If I remember correctly, FATE actually mindwiped all of them and sent them out to live on the islands. She had a weird mother-goddess complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I've played a huge number of RPG's. I'm currently looking for a modern day RPG, preferably PC platform. I just got done with the Witcher 2 and as fun as that was, I'd like to try something with less swords and magic.

I've already played games like this before: Persona Series, Vampire the Masquerade, Earthbound 1 and 2, Deux Ex (kinda), Alpha Protocol, Jagged Alliance, Shenmue, etc.

Am I missing anything in particular or have I pretty much exhausted them all?