Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovine Delight posted:

Anyone know if there is a forum that MS3s and MS6 are bought/sold on?

Most of the Mazda forums (Mazdas247 for example) have for sale sections. You selling your car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Most of the Mazda forums (Mazdas247 for example) have for sale sections. You selling your car?

I'm thinking about it - I am commuting hardcore and the speed3 is just not viable.

Buckeye
Oct 22, 2003
I don't want the world...I just want your half.
OK. I'll ask...why is the Mazdaspeed3 not a viable commuter car? It's what I commute in every day. I find it to be an extremely fun "commuter" that still averages 24+ MPG.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It's only stick shift, has a very stiff suspension, and it gets worse mileage than similar "commuter cars." You'll likely never be able to wind up the car's power, either. Plus, it takes premium.

Doesn't mean it's not a wicked fun car, though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Buckeye posted:

OK. I'll ask...why is the Mazdaspeed3 not a viable commuter car? It's what I commute in every day. I find it to be an extremely fun "commuter" that still averages 24+ MPG.

I'm going to assume the 24 MPG figure is what makes it not viable. My midsize '10 Fusion with a 2.5L I4 and weighing almost 500 lbs more than the MS3 gets high 20s/low 30s per gallon depending on the time of the year. Most subcompact/compact cars are now reaching upper 30s/lower 40s. Low 20s on the highway is rapidly becoming the realm of full size trucks.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'm grateful that my commute is less than 10 minutes, but when I do get stuck in traffic in my various travels it's a fairly miserable experience in this car. If you spend a lot of time in traffic, any performance oriented car isn't for you. Not just the MS3.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

I'm grateful that my commute is less than 10 minutes, but when I do get stuck in traffic in my various travels it's a fairly miserable experience in this car. If you spend a lot of time in traffic, any performance oriented car isn't for you. Not just the MS3.

I disagree, I find rowing through the gears in my MS6 to be quite enjoyable in traffic.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

If you're able to row, you're not in real traffic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

If you're able to row, you're not in real traffic.

Fair point. Still love my commute though.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'm talking about starting and stopping in 1st 50 times to go about a mile. I don't hit it often, but when I do, bleh.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I commute and put crazy miles on my MS3 doing so (just shy of 50 a day) but I have the luxury of doing so in the HOV lane of a very well-maintained Arizona freeway - it's drat near racetrack levels of smooth pavement. The only drawback in this situation is the fuel mileage, and I can live with that in exchange for the power (which comes in drat handy sometimes).

I have had the misfortune of spending far too much time in Los Angeles this year, though. Never for more than a weekend at a time but I'm pretty sure I come back about 1.5" shorter than when I leave thanks to the beating my back takes on the cratered surfaces that pass as freeways there.

If, in some version of hell, I was forced to move to LA, I'd sell the MS3 in a heartbeat and pick up something like the Acura TSX. Since it would have to be hell to convince me to move to LA, I'm sure I'd be stuck with the godawful grille on the TSX anyway.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

SynMoo posted:

I'm talking about starting and stopping in 1st 50 times to go about a mile. I don't hit it often, but when I do, bleh.

Coming from an automatic, I thought constantly launching and then only getting into second or third before you have to stop again would be more annoying it is. I think the worst part is knowing you could be flying around instead of stuck going nowhere

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I guess ignorance is bliss. Coming from a 240sx I get about the same mileage and I have way more horsepower/torque AND I have a trunk and usable back seats. The only difference is that I now have to buy premium fuel, and it's not RWD.

After being stuck in a hurricane evacuation for 18 hours in a manual I can say that I now absolutely hate stop and go traffic, so if I lived in LA-- maybe I'd buy something with a DSG. I have been stuck in LA traffic in a manual transmission car, and the entire time I wish I had had a motorcycle so I could just lane split. The fact that the HOV lanes were getting clogged up and stopped by Priuses with no passengers and a sticker was the worst part.

Aside:

But honestly I guess I've just gotten used to driving a stick in all sorts of traffic.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 27, 2011

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I haven't been around a lot in the past few months mostly because some bad/inconvenient poo poo. I'm glad this thread didn't get housecleaned yet.

Anyway, here is a crosspost from MSF

Frosty- posted:

For anyone with an older Mazdaspeed like my 2006 MS6 this is how you keep your Sirius, but have iPod fun too:

Ever since I bought my car back in April of 2007 I've been trying to figure out how the optional satellite radio receiver and an iPod could coexist without falling back on the basic aux-in.

For whatever reason, I was never able to get a straight answer from anyone as to whether that was even possible. Many people told me my AuxMod was already as good as I was going to get. Every time I searched for an answer, I found threads (not here, just around the internets) where the question was answered unhelpfully with the generic "learn to search" response, or dead links.

What people don't realize is that simply replying in a thread that the OP should learn to search pollutes a forum environment just as surely as repeatedly asking questions that have already been answered. When someone like me who actually does know how to search makes an attempt, we only find 600 empty threads without any useful information.

Anyway, stupid rant over; I can't control other people, and they aren't wrong to instruct the ignorant to learn to search, even if it does slow me down.

The truth of the matter is that it's very easy to keep your satellite radio and upgrade from an aux input (which still has one advantage I'll outline later) to something with steering wheel controls and text display.

YouTube - Mazda6 iPod and Sirius

One problem: As far as I know, these Axxess modules are discontinued, so getting ahold of one might be difficult these days. I know of no other iPod adapter that connects via the Tape/MD port, but any that do (not like the assholes who make or sell the things make it easy to find out, or even know themselves) will work with the Sirius box just fine.

The AuxMod actually was a little bit better for taking calls. I used a Griffin WindowSeat iPhone cradle that came with an aux cable with microphone incorporated which allowed call audio through the stereo. Apple doesn't let iPhones send call audio through the dock connector, so I lost that seamlessness. Luckily, the Axxess box also affords one an aux-in, so connecting some kind of bluetooth device to that should be simple and allow me to take calls in a manner similar to how I used to.

I hope this post has actually been useful; I know 2011 is pretty late in the game to be discussing basic iPod connectivity in MY2006 cars.
I didn't figure this out until the beginning of this year, and I've had my car since around this time 2007. If I was clueless for years, maybe someone else has been and this can help.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's good. I remember seeing threads on the 2007 Mazda 3 models where people had to go back to the dealer to get a $100 part to get full functionality out of the radio. I can't remember if it was to allow switching between satellite and aux, satellite and ipod, or ipod and aux, or any permutation I forgot. But having something like that might have been what you need for a non MD/tape deck connector.

I am thinking I will buy an iPod just for steering wheel integration, even though I am not an apple fan and don't really care to pay extra for their products. I wish there was some USB standard for controls / track display, but on the newer cars I guess they use bluetooth for that.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is this relevant to the first gen Speed3s? I really would like to be able to control my ipod with the steering wheel controls instead of fumbling with it sitting in the cup holder/passenger seat.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

MetaJew posted:

Is this relevant to the first gen Speed3s?
Yes, I think so. I'm fairly certain that the backsides of the head units in both cars are basically the same.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, once you remove the controls they use the same radio module.
All Mazdas for many years have used this system, although they've added some features like steering wheel controls and Bluetooth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and buy an ipod so I can do this.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
Speaking of the sound system, I found out last night if you hold the POWER button down, then hold down the TUNE knob (on the left) it tests your speakers individually.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Yeah, once you remove the controls they use the same radio module.
All Mazdas for many years have used this system, although they've added some features like steering wheel controls and Bluetooth.

Which ones have Bluetooth, and can I retrofit it into my '07 MS3 (with Bose)? It's the only thing missing in my opinion.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Which ones have Bluetooth, and can I retrofit it into my '07 MS3 (with Bose)? It's the only thing missing in my opinion.
I'm not sure but my friend's '11 Mazdaspeed 3 has it.

I do not think it would be possible as it requires extra steering wheel controls. Also the standard controls changed a little bit, I have not tried mixing and matching units / control panels to see exactly how backward compatible they are.

Battle Cattle posted:

Speaking of the sound system, I found out last night if you hold the POWER button down, then hold down the TUNE knob (on the left) it tests your speakers individually.

There are a few hidden test options and settings like that. Actually, on the '06 3, it is possible to enable the "trip computer" function on all models instead of just on the Grand Touring. :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

CharlesM posted:

There are a few hidden test options and settings like that. Actually, on the '06 3, it is possible to enable the "trip computer" function on all models instead of just on the Grand Touring. :)

You can't post things like this without providing a source/instructions/etc.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

You can't post things like this without providing a source/instructions/etc.

http://www.mazda3club.com/showthread.php?t=44448

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I replaced my cabin air filter today using the walkthrough that was linked to a little earlier in this thread. It wasn't too bad-- only took about an hour to an hour and a half. The worst part was definitely contorting my self down into the foot well to try and see into the little port hole where the filters sit to clean it out and get the new filters in.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I need some adjustable rear upper control arms to fix a camber issue. Anyone have suggestions on a vender? Having a hard time.

Thanks.

e: Went with Summit. Good price and same day shipping.

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 23, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The little plastic/metal hand-burner shift pattern indicator in my MS3 is falling off. It's all loose and poo poo :(

How does it hold on there? Or should I just do my right palm a favor and buy a new knob that's all leather?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doubleposting for two reasons:

1) loving hell, you definitely need Special Service Tool 778-B, Small Japanese Hands, to do the serpentine belt.

2) loving passenger strut is leaking, probably going to need to replace before I hit 90k in the next 5k or so. Probably going to replace all four, any recommendations?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Doubleposting for two reasons:

1) loving hell, you definitely need Special Service Tool 778-B, Small Japanese Hands, to do the serpentine belt.

2) loving passenger strut is leaking, probably going to need to replace before I hit 90k in the next 5k or so. Probably going to replace all four, any recommendations?

Re (1): Not that I have any plans of doing it for a long long while, but aside from needing tiny Japanese hands, how difficult or complicated is it? I briefly went searching for a writeup on it a while back, and the packaging looks seriously cramped. Do you have to remove an engine mount or lift the engine at all?

Other maintenance: Have any of you all change your transmission/diff/transaxle oil yet? Does Mazda recommend a particular type or does the MZR community have a preference?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Re (1): Not that I have any plans of doing it for a long long while, but aside from needing tiny Japanese hands, how difficult or complicated is it? I briefly went searching for a writeup on it a while back, and the packaging looks seriously cramped. Do you have to remove an engine mount or lift the engine at all?

Other maintenance: Have any of you all change your transmission/diff/transaxle oil yet? Does Mazda recommend a particular type or does the MZR community have a preference?

Wrote this up three times on my Evo but the awful app loses my post whenever the phone autorotates :argh:

1. Lift the car - I use ramps - and remove the undertray. Also remove the two bolts securing the passenger side splash shield. You don't need to remove the plastic pin holding it on, being able to move it around is enough.
2. Curse at the tensioner for a bit because there's very little clearance between it and the hardline for the power steering cooler. Eventually remove the nuts holding it to the body of the car and get enough clearance to get a proper loving breaker on the tensioner.
3. Crank on the tensioner, remove the old belt. Curse at it for a while while lining up the new belt because there's so little room. Get it around everything but the water pump.
4. Using your SST or substitute (my wife), have them get underneath and crank on the tensioner while lining the belt up on the bottom of the water pump; you get to line it up on the top. Eventually it will slide on. Rejoice. No jacking or motor mount removal required.

Note that the procedure will be different and probably involve more cursing if it's not a Mazdaspeed3 - apparently the regular 3 uses a split-belt setup with one belt for most things and a "stretch fit" belt for the A/C. The MS3 uses a much more sane single serpentine for everything.

Transaxle oil - I did mine around 60k. Easy as pie to do in this car. I don't know what Mazda's official oil is but most people (myself included) really like the Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS oil. It's expensive as gently caress at $15+ per quart but most people say it cures any and all cold shifting problems. It didn't change anything for me but I have a sneaky suspicion the PO of my car had already swapped to it, as the fluid coming out was almost identical in color and smell to the fluid going in, and not just in a generic "gear oil smells like hell" way. Also, in Arizona, "cold" shifting is a relative term anyway.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Transaxle oil - I did mine around 60k. Easy as pie to do in this car. I don't know what Mazda's official oil is but most people (myself included) really like the Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS oil. It's expensive as gently caress at $15+ per quart but most people say it cures any and all cold shifting problems. It didn't change anything for me but I have a sneaky suspicion the PO of my car had already swapped to it, as the fluid coming out was almost identical in color and smell to the fluid going in, and not just in a generic "gear oil smells like hell" way. Also, in Arizona, "cold" shifting is a relative term anyway.

I did this at 30k and it was outstanding. Would highly recommend it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Cool. Thanks for the 'walkthrough'. I foresee some bloody knuckles and cursing when that time comes.

I've just hit 17k. I may consider doing the gear oil just for piece of mind since I'm fairly certain the PO didn't touch it in the 12k miles he owned it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unless you're encountering any of the complaints that come up on the stock fluid (i.e. you have a really hard time getting it in gear when cold), I'd at least run it to 30k miles.

For the record, after slogging through some of the forums, it looks like everyone loves the Koni FSDs for an otherwise stock car. I have no desire to ever lower this thing (it drags the airdam on my driveway as-is).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless you're encountering any of the complaints that come up on the stock fluid (i.e. you have a really hard time getting it in gear when cold), I'd at least run it to 30k miles.

For the record, after slogging through some of the forums, it looks like everyone loves the Koni FSDs for an otherwise stock car. I have no desire to ever lower this thing (it drags the airdam on my driveway as-is).

I could barely get the thing on ramps without tearing it up.

And I wouldn't worry about the tranny oil until 30k if it's not an issue. 30k is a pretty good schedule for that fluid.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I had the transmission fluid swapped out to the Redline MT-90 on my MS6. It did wonders to my cold shifting which is a formidable issue here in Utah.

Also; after having my SURE rear motor mount for a couple of months now I cannot recommend it high enough! It is the best 130 bucks you will spend on your car and shouldn't take any longer than 30 minutes to install. With the summer in full swing here and A/C on regularly, the noise/harshness/vibes are negligible, and really only noticed when you are looking for it. I would say this is the number one needed upgrade for either the MS3 or MS6 over any other mod.

I am debating on being brave and trying to to install the rear diff mount on my car today. I am going to research what it will take and what I would be getting myself into as I would need to have it buttoned up to get back to work tomorrow.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Has anyone upgraded the downpipe with an AP yet? According to Cobb, to run Stage 2, an upgraded fuel pump is required for the maps and downpipe. I'm not sure if I want to go with CP-E's upgraded pump or try the internals upgrade. Given I don't want to trust the fuel delivery of my daily driver to my shaky hands, I'll probably go with the whole upgraded pump.

But I have to admit I have a stupid question... where's our fuel pump; in the gas tank? I tried finding a how-to for changing it out, but didn't see any write ups. Any ideas guys?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

There are two pumps. One in the fuel tank, which delivers to a second pump on the top side of the motor that is driven by the camshaft. It's this second pump that is the weak fueling link when doing upgrades.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Not too bad.

code:
Trip     Gals     Brand    Oct   $/Gal    Total $    MPG
243.8    8.748    Shell    93    3.659    $32.01    27.869
239.8    8.938    Shell    93    3.759    $33.60    26.829
194.7    6.068    Shell    93    3.679    $22.32    32.086

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
How in the world did you get that last trip of 200 miles on half a tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Battle Cattle posted:

How in the world did you get that last trip of 200 miles on half a tank?

A few months ago I drove to Dallas and had the same deal:
code:
Trip     Gals     Brand    Oct   $/Gal    Total $    MPG
332.5    11.052    Shell    93    3.999    $44.20    30.085
Texas interstates are lined with State Troopers and you can't use your high beams with oncoming traffic. So stuck in cruise control at ~65 for a few hours will do that.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 7, 2011