Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, yeah, lord save you if you try to clean Gordon's house while she's in it. She has literally taken the dustpan out of my hands and thrown it before. It's hilarious. Last night I laid down a few clean tee shirts for her to sit on and used a different bowl to feed her, and she absolutely lost it. One of the biggest tantrums I've seen.

The other day I dared to do a few things in the morning when I got up (like pee) before feeding her, and you'd have thought I was leaving her to starve and never coming back. She started throwing things around, grunting, thumping, and running around in her house. She cracks me up. My little bunny gets so mad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Billy takes the more passive approach of trying to distract me by licking me silly while I clean his place. Or trying to distract me by pushing things over in the room, digging at the carpet, gnawing on the door and being a dick in many inventive ways. And at any time when he's not doing that he insists on closely supervising everything I do and inspecting every item I use.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I tend to leave the closet open when I'm cleaning Cilantro's box. She takes every chance to get into the closet and eat the hay that's fallen when I pull hay from the box. If she's not in the closet nomming hay, she'll hop into the box as I'm putting down litter and hay, getting in the way and usually ending up with hay on her head. :3:

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009

Bean posted:

I think so. Camille got something that looked like hiccups just yesterday, but there was no sound with it.

I know they can sneeze.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Lagomorpha posted:

I know they can sneeze.

Can they ever :( My bun tends to sneeze in series, around 20 times in a row. Sometimes it's productive, it usually isn't. One time he happened to be next to me and I had the privilege of watching him sneezing a glob of snot and immediately licking it off his nose :gonk:

Lagomorpha
Feb 17, 2009

Foaming Chicken posted:

Can they ever :( My bun tends to sneeze in series, around 20 times in a row. Sometimes it's productive, it usually isn't. One time he happened to be next to me and I had the privilege of watching him sneezing a glob of snot and immediately licking it off his nose :gonk:

That sounds really cute. I want to see this happen! Twenty sneezes in a row? A whole row? I have never even seen our shih-tzu sneeze that many times in a row.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Lagomorpha posted:

That sounds really cute. I want to see this happen! Twenty sneezes in a row? A whole row? I have never even seen our shih-tzu sneeze that many times in a row.

Yes, non-stop, in a row. It was cute in the beginning. I used to automatically count each sneeze every time it happened, it's usually twenty or more. He'll sit back on his haunches and scrubs at his nose while he has a sneeze attack. Touching him when he's sneezing makes everything worse.

I cringe to think how much money I've thrown at his pasteurella.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Foaming Chicken posted:

But the poop eating is completely adorable, right? :3:

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I've only seen that once

we do not speak of it

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Lagomorpha posted:

I know they can sneeze.

Camille does that too, but there's a tiny squeak with it.

I've oddly never met a rabbit who got pissy when you clean their cage. My old bunny simply did not give a gently caress. I wait until Camille and Pepper sneak out of the cage, but while I'm cleaning, they hop back in and eat all the fallen hay. They're helping.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Bean posted:

Camille does that too, but there's a tiny squeak with it.

I've oddly never met a rabbit who got pissy when you clean their cage. My old bunny simply did not give a gently caress. I wait until Camille and Pepper sneak out of the cage, but while I'm cleaning, they hop back in and eat all the fallen hay. They're helping.

For many years, Bowser's "cage" was the bathroom. While she would be running about the rest of the apartment, we'd attempt to clean it- as soon as she saw the broom, she'd bolt back into the bathroom, charging and attacking the broom while grunting loudly. We still have that broom, it's missing like half its bristles.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Melicious posted:

For many years, Bowser's "cage" was the bathroom. While she would be running about the rest of the apartment, we'd attempt to clean it- as soon as she saw the broom, she'd bolt back into the bathroom, charging and attacking the broom while grunting loudly. We still have that broom, it's missing like half its bristles.

Mine do this. Most of the time they're completely uninterested in their cage and only go in it if I'm trying to put them into their carrier or trying to give them medicine. If I try to clean it though. Holy poo poo. They go nuts and suddenly NEED to be in it. And yeah, when I try to sweep, Paterson is all about getting in the way, dancing through the dirt pile and being a jerk in general by knocking the broom over or eating the essential rubber part of the dustpan.

when I am cleaning the litterbox he also likes to jump inside before I can put litter in it and pee or poop. Then he's all pleased with himself.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

luscious posted:

And yeah, when I try to sweep, Paterson is all about getting in the way, dancing through the dirt pile and being a jerk in general by knocking the broom over or eating the essential rubber part of the dustpan.

Be careful with this- I'm pretty sure I had a rat die from eating the rubber part of a dustpan. It was sitting on top of his cage, and after he died suddenly I noticed that it had a few bites missing. Could be coincidence though.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

So, let's say you have a stupid rabbit who likes to eat things that aren't food (99.9% of the population) who continues to eat and poop regularly.

Where does the non-food go? Am I going to have a rabbit that someday goes to the vet for something unrelated and they find a giant wad of crap in her tummy?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

NancyPants posted:

So, let's say you have a stupid rabbit who likes to eat things that aren't food (99.9% of the population) who continues to eat and poop regularly.

Where does the non-food go? Am I going to have a rabbit that someday goes to the vet for something unrelated and they find a giant wad of crap in her tummy?

What kind of things that aren't food is she eating?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

NancyPants posted:

I know this is grody, but did you look inside the poop?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Anything that goes into her mouth, she'll eat at least a portion of it. So if she gets hold of a cord, she eats the insulation she inevitably chews up. If she starts attacking carpet, she eats half the fibers. She'll steal paper and eat that too.

I have glanced at the poop but haven't really inspected it, and never seen anything that looked like non-poop. This has been going on for the last ~3 years I've had her, so it's not like it's a sudden thing that just needs time to catch up with her.

Unless she's gonna be like one of those people who chews their hair and gets a child-sized hair tumor removed from their stomach.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I've had my 3-year old x-rayed semi recently and apparently the blob of matter that was causing a blockage in his digestive system was mostly hair, so I'm guessing that's the thing they really can't digest so well. Other things probably either get digested or shat out in tiny bits. Rabbits' digestive systems are so weird. Most of the time it seems like even the slightest change in diet will make them sick but then you also remember they can happily eat a piece of wood and even get some nutritional value out of it. Not saying it's good for them to eat your shoes or anything but they all do stupid poo poo like that at some point. Paying attention to what they can reach is really all you can do.

On an entirely unrelated note I would just like to say how incredibly happy I am every day to have a rabbit, specifically the one I have. He might cost me a fortune in vet bills, he might have destroyed expensive furniture and items of mine, he might be a petulant jerk from time to time and he will never understand the meaning of the word "no" but holy poo poo I love having him around. I love it when he rubs his hairy little face against mine. I love how he's practically making GBS threads himself with happiness when I come home and will sometimes not even look at his food until I've petted him. Love the way he flops over and falls asleep at my feet. I love how I have his full permission to style and rearrange that stupid mop of hair he has on his head. I could go on and on. I love him!

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
We had some most excellent luck tonight. A friend telephoned me to say that on her way home she'd walked past a house that had put a wire rabbit cage outside with a sign saying 'please take'.

We drove down and it was actually a huge two storey wire house, AND half of a seperate one storey house. The only downside is that the two storey is missing the ramp up to the second floor but we have some spare DIY supplies in the garage and can easily fashion something to suffice.

Conrad is over the moon. We set it all up in his playroom after giving it a good washdown and he immediately began the process of scent-marking everything, running around in little circles, binkying and generally being very excitable. Including jumping up on our pile of camping equipment to reach the very top. ::3:

We haven't really done anything with it yet, it's just an empty cage, but after he has been neutered we were playing with the idea of getting him a female companion so something like this would be utterly perfect for helping them bond.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm moving soon and am going to pack my babies up in their new hot pink large Sleepypod and end up at a new, fully carpeted apartment where they will have their own room and general free run of the place. They hate hardwood so it should be fun for them to be able to do whatever they want and go wherever they want. I'm super excited for them. And I'm even more excited that I'll be around them all the time again. When I was traveling (the last 7 months or so) I got to see them about once a month for just a few days. Now I'm going to be with them all the time again.

there aren't enough :3: to explain how I feel about this.

I've already researched and found them an exotics vet nearby and am going to build a little pen for them in my boyfriend's backyard. They have never been outside before :( so happy for them to have time to romp!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I am so happy for both of your buns!

Mine sniffs me when I get outta the shower. Cause she loves me. :3

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterson loves to hang out behind the toilet. My theories:
- it's cold so he doesn't overheat
- it's a small space and he's all into that
- he's strange
- he can run around it in circles while I try to get him into any other room
- he's strange

We are all very excited.

Sleepypod arrived!

and I thought it might be too small for them. It's like, two of me!

luscious fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 31, 2011

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
SOMEBODY SOMEBUNNY got into the closet when I left the door open......

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

pseudonordic posted:

SOMEBODY SOMEBUNNY got into the closet when I left the door open......

This is always where Portia is if she can manage it. I even have to put their manger at an angle otherwise she sits up there and pees all over the hay and then neither one will eat it :rolleyes:

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Lola seems to be enjoying the new addition to her hovel:

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
When I was in college, my mom sent me this video of my two best buddies basking in the sunlight on a nice blanket. :3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8J9LoG9Glg

They've both since been gone for several years, but they were such a quirky little pair that I have nothing but good memories of them. Pikachu, the bun, passed away peacefully in his favorite place in the world - a freshly changed litterbox. And we found Lenny one morning, head resting in an empty dish that had, the previous night, contained fresh fruit, and his butt marinating in a tiny dish of yogurt that he hadn't gotten to yet. It was hard, but alot easier knowing that they went happy, after a long life. :unsmith:

A story relating to the cleverness and sassiness of rabbits, however: My friend had a little, fat white bun named Fluffy (imaginative, I know). Now, while running around one day, Fluffy managed to get a splinter in his foot :(

Now, you know how when rabbits get hurt or traumatized, they scream that horrible, heart-wrenching scream? Fluffy did, and my friend and his fiance rushed to his aide. They removed the splinter, disinfected his foot, and spent the better part of four hours cuddling, talking sweet, and feeding him plenty of sympathy treats.

Fluffy, being the industrious kind that he was, decided "If I scream, I will get attention and treats."

So, he would typically, every few days, shriek his little heart out, demanding treats and cuddles. Much to the initial terror, and eventual exasperation of my friend, Fluffy continued this behavior until they moved into a new house, where he could roam freely. He could then seek out and demand affection from his owners as he deemed fit. He was a rather nice bun. :3:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

It's moving day! Soon it's going to be time to pack up my sweet babies in their sweet Sleepypod and put them in the car for their 3.5 hour ride :gonk:

I was going to buy diapers to put down so if they peed they wouldn't be sitting in it for hours. I totally dropped the ball on that one so I'll just put down a towel or something.

I have herbs for the road. Like Cilantro's owner does, I'm going to spritz them with water and give them to them while we are journey-ing.

Wish us luck!

update:

THEIR CAGE ISN'T COMING APART!! Looks like I'll be running around looking for NICs while they hang out in a cardboard box castle :ohdear:

luscious fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 2, 2011

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

luscious posted:

I was going to buy diapers to put down so if they peed they wouldn't be sitting in it for hours. I totally dropped the ball on that one so I'll just put down a towel or something.

The last time I moved my bun by car, I put puppy pee pads in the bottom of the carrier and that worked out pretty well.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

candeh posted:

The last time I moved my bun by car, I put puppy pee pads in the bottom of the carrier and that worked out pretty well.

they didn't pee so hey, that's good! Anyway, we made it. They're kind of spazzy still but Paterson has been chilling happily behind the toilet so go figure. On my way to buy them some NICs to make a sweet cage :3:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Pants posted:

A story relating to the cleverness and sassiness of rabbits, however: My friend had a little, fat white bun named Fluffy (imaginative, I know). Now, while running around one day, Fluffy managed to get a splinter in his foot :(

Now, you know how when rabbits get hurt or traumatized, they scream that horrible, heart-wrenching scream? Fluffy did, and my friend and his fiance rushed to his aide. They removed the splinter, disinfected his foot, and spent the better part of four hours cuddling, talking sweet, and feeding him plenty of sympathy treats.

Fluffy, being the industrious kind that he was, decided "If I scream, I will get attention and treats."

So, he would typically, every few days, shriek his little heart out, demanding treats and cuddles. Much to the initial terror, and eventual exasperation of my friend, Fluffy continued this behavior until they moved into a new house, where he could roam freely. He could then seek out and demand affection from his owners as he deemed fit. He was a rather nice bun. :3:

This is a hilariously cute story and thank you so much for sharing.

I'm also happy to hear Pikachu and Lenny passed on happily. Most bunnies usually end tragically, so it's nice to hear a story of them going nice and peaceful. :unsmith:

artless barbarian
Jan 1, 2010
I have a question for all y'all bunny owners. ::):

So the general consensus seems to be that bunnies and vacuums do not get along. My boyfriend has a roomba that goes off while he is away from home (hence the point of a roomba). It's probably a little quieter than a conventional vacuum, but it does bump around a lot to do its thing, and the total of hours it spends switched on are significantly more than the hours a conventional vacuum would be on.

Would this totally gently caress with any prospective bunnies he might own in the future? Would it be doable if the rabbits were in a separate, closed off room whenever the roomba was doing its thing? Are trauma-free rabbits and a clean carpet mutually exclusive goals at this point? :ohdear:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

artless barbarian posted:

So the general consensus seems to be that bunnies and vacuums do not get along. My boyfriend has a roomba that goes off while he is away from home (hence the point of a roomba). It's probably a little quieter than a conventional vacuum, but it does bump around a lot to do its thing, and the total of hours it spends switched on are significantly more than the hours a conventional vacuum would be on.

Would this totally gently caress with any prospective bunnies he might own in the future? Would it be doable if the rabbits were in a separate, closed off room whenever the roomba was doing its thing? Are trauma-free rabbits and a clean carpet mutually exclusive goals at this point? :ohdear:

They get used to it. Rabbits are psychologically tougher than people give them credit for. I vacuum with mine in the room and they don't spazz.

artless barbarian
Jan 1, 2010

Bunway Airlines posted:

They get used to it. Rabbits are psychologically tougher than people give them credit for. I vacuum with mine in the room and they don't spazz.

That's really reassuring to hear, thanks!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mine regularly gets terrified over absolutely nothing but considers the vacuum to be no more than a slight nuisance.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

artless barbarian posted:

I used to run a roomba. My bunnies had significantly less problems with it when it started in another room and drove to their cage. I also set up virtual walls around the cage to keep the roomba from colliding into it. As is, they just stood at the edge of the cage and threatened the roomba with a hard sniffing.

BUNNY VERSUS ROOMBA

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
My bunny is shedding. Should I get a brush for her or will she be okay on her own?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Lord Solitare posted:

My bunny is shedding. Should I get a brush for her or will she be okay on her own?

If you want to be proactive about preventing fur from getting everywhere, you could use a slicker brush. They're always in the cat section of a pet store, usually dog area too.

Is short-haired bunny shedding similar to a dog with a short coat, in terms of how it sticks to your clothes and carpet? I have a fuzz bucket and his stray fluff looks like cotton wisps

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Furminator!!

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
Oh my god!!! If anyone's bunny starts riding a roomba, you are now obligated to provide us with video. That would easily be the most adorable thing yet. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Ham Pants posted:

Oh my god!!! If anyone's bunny starts riding a roomba, you are now obligated to provide us with video. That would easily be the most adorable thing yet. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YyDWViV7-Y