Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'll throw out the dissenting opinion...it seems as good as the HF stuff I use. I don't use the center post thing, just tire irons, so that'd work out nicely and looks like it wouldn't require any drilling into the ground. $100 is a bit expensive, but only $20 more than the HF setup. If it breaks the bead and can hold the tire, that's all you really need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So what equipment does it take and how hard is it to replace ones own tire? I need to change my rear tire and wanted to know if it's cheaper to just buy the equipment now. I plan to ride bikes my entire life, so I'm assuming learning would save me some bucks.

I can remove the wheel easily, but I've never tried changing a tire.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

americanzero4128 posted:

I am signed up for a motorcycle license class (beginner level) through the great State of Illinois. It is a 3 day class and at the end I am supposed to have passed the test and will have my motorcycle license. I'm kind of nervous and a little scared because the last time I rode a motorcycle was ~10 years ago and it was a dirt bike on my farm. I don't even remember how to shift gears :ohdear: outside of hold in the clutch, move your foot up to shift up one gear, then let out of the clutch. I feel like I might be missing something there though.

If anyone has taken a class like this, what can I expect when we start getting on the bikes on Saturday? All that the class description gives is either classroom or riding, so I'm hoping that since it says beginner we start at the very beginning and go over shifting and stuff as opposed to the instructor thinking we've all ridden before and don't need to go over the very basics.

poo poo, maybe I'm getting worried over nothing but I haven't been able to find someone that took a course like this and can tell me what to expect.

My MSF class started out with walking the bike in a straight line, then practicing the clutch in a straight line in 1st gear. It's a very slow progression. Only hard part was the figure 8 at the end.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Spydre posted:

Any recommendations for a decent, cheap(ish) rear motorcycle stand?

In what country?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've changed my tires with three tire irons (spoons?) and a car tire as base. And an air compressor. And loads of reading/youtube. I looked at the videos for the No-Mar tire changer, looks like I can use their techniques with the center axle for leverage. Don't think I'll need tires this season though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

americanzero4128 posted:

I am signed up for a motorcycle license class (beginner level) through the great State of Illinois. It is a 3 day class and at the end I am supposed to have passed the test and will have my motorcycle license. I'm kind of nervous and a little scared because the last time I rode a motorcycle was ~10 years ago and it was a dirt bike on my farm. I don't even remember how to shift gears :ohdear: outside of hold in the clutch, move your foot up to shift up one gear, then let out of the clutch. I feel like I might be missing something there though.

If anyone has taken a class like this, what can I expect when we start getting on the bikes on Saturday? All that the class description gives is either classroom or riding, so I'm hoping that since it says beginner we start at the very beginning and go over shifting and stuff as opposed to the instructor thinking we've all ridden before and don't need to go over the very basics.

poo poo, maybe I'm getting worried over nothing but I haven't been able to find someone that took a course like this and can tell me what to expect.

hehe I took it in IL last summer, I'd never sat on a motorcycle before taking the class! (nor did I really know how to drive a manual car) I was pretty drat nervous but really the pace ends up being so perfect I never felt uncomfortable. You'll be fine, just remember to relax and have fun with it :)

Spydre
Mar 21, 2007

Saga posted:

In what country?

United States. New England if that helps.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Spydre posted:

United States. New England if that helps.

...because different brands are available in different places. I was going to offer some UK or European suggests if relevant, but I suspect the US goons have it covered.

If your bike has a swingarm drilled for bobbins, hook-type stands and bobbins are kinder to paintwork that swingarm cups, and usually more secure. But a stand that has both as an option (reversible/replaceable) is handy.

More (solidly attached) castors on each leg and cups/hooks that are width adjustable by bolt rather than by bending the stand are also both good things.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

I'll throw out the dissenting opinion...it seems as good as the HF stuff I use. I don't use the center post thing, just tire irons, so that'd work out nicely and looks like it wouldn't require any drilling into the ground. $100 is a bit expensive, but only $20 more than the HF setup. If it breaks the bead and can hold the tire, that's all you really need.

If you're gonna use tire irons, no need to buy much more than the irons and a big c-clamp for breaking the bead. Last tubed tire I changed I slapped the wheel on the new tire, pushed the bead in with my hand and the tire irons were used from there.

The entire Harbor Freight jobber, which they don't sell any more, was a steal for $100. Chincy but if you're only changing a couple tires a year, good enough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Skier posted:

If you're gonna use tire irons, no need to buy much more than the irons and a big c-clamp for breaking the bead. Last tubed tire I changed I slapped the wheel on the new tire, pushed the bead in with my hand and the tire irons were used from there.

The entire Harbor Freight jobber, which they don't sell any more, was a steal for $100. Chincy but if you're only changing a couple tires a year, good enough.

My problem with C-clamps is that they're time consuming and they have a tendency to punch little round holes in the bead of the tire, especially a stiff sidewall tire. I also reuse a lot of the tires I swap, so a dedicated bead breaker that keeps the beads nice is worth it. Probably not a factor for most people though :)

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Some two-by-fours and bolts make a nice bead breaker, as I understand.

Reusing tires is a weird concept to me since mine usually get changed when they are paper thin or have a nail hanging out of them. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Skier posted:

Some two-by-fours and bolts make a nice bead breaker, as I understand.

Reusing tires is a weird concept to me since mine usually get changed when they are paper thin or have a nail hanging out of them. :v:

Selling/reusing my track takeoffs is what makes racing affordable! :downs:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
So when I get my bike to England, I intend to fix some things about it that I haven't been able to do here.. So some questions..

This is the back wheel:

As you can see it's got a loving car tire on it, and it's a shaft drive and must have had some custom work done to get whatever that big grey thing is called attached to the wheel.

It also has disc brakes that don't work at all.

I've got the original frame and I want to put a motorcycle wheel and tire back on it, but I don't think the original Dnepr wheel would be appropriate since it's spoked and has a horrible lovely drum brake on it.

How much work am I looking at to put Unnamed Grey Shaft Drive Thing on a new motorcycle wheel with decent brakes? I assume not a huge amount.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I was riding my '07 CBR600RR for the first time in a couple months and as I was resting, I noticed a small ~1 cm diameter soft rubber hose with an ~3mm opening hanging off under the lower fairing under the engine. All the brakes work, the bike isn't overheating, and nothing comes out of it or has been coming out of it.

I've got the bike garaged at a friend's house until I can strip the side off and figure out where the hell the thing was supposed to go.

I'm hoping it's an overflow hose.

That or my bike is magic and doesn't need critical hoses.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Overflow hose. Older ones will have a couple, one for overflow, one for straight-to-atmosphere crankcase ventilation, the way it should be.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Backov posted:

So when I get my bike to England, I intend to fix some things about it that I haven't been able to do here.. So some questions..

This is the back wheel:

As you can see it's got a loving car tire on it, and it's a shaft drive and must have had some custom work done to get whatever that big grey thing is called attached to the wheel.

It also has disc brakes that don't work at all.

I've got the original frame and I want to put a motorcycle wheel and tire back on it, but I don't think the original Dnepr wheel would be appropriate since it's spoked and has a horrible lovely drum brake on it.

How much work am I looking at to put Unnamed Grey Shaft Drive Thing on a new motorcycle wheel with decent brakes? I assume not a huge amount.

What is going on here, my god.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Latvian engineering. Because a motorcycle is too much like a motorcycle.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Z3n posted:

What is going on here, my god.

Ya, the PO put a loving car tire on the back. Why? "Because it looks cool."

Any insight on the mechanical questions?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Backov posted:

Ya, the PO put a loving car tire on the back. Why? "Because it looks cool."

Any insight on the mechanical questions?

It's really hard to say what is going on without a good idea of how it looked to begin with. Definitely some redneck engineering going on though...is that rear spacer design the stock one? I'd try and find stock parts and recreate that, lovely drum brake or not, because I can't imagine it's going to be cheap to swap a complete wheel assembly on to a shaft drive. At least with a chain you could mess with spacers and probably get it somewhat close, but with a shafty I have no idea what's going to happen there. Looks like they machined an adapter plate for the car wheel that clamps through the lugnut holes, but I'm not sure how it maintains it's spacing.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Is it normal for a motorcycle clutch to not fully disengage?

When I rev the engine in 1st with the clutch in, I can feel that the bike wants to move a little. I don't think I could get to any speed, but I do feel some drag. Up on the center stand, clutch in, idle throttle makes the rear wheel move.

Do I bleed the clutch? Adjust clutch lever throw? Accept it as normal?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Edit: nevermind

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Is it normal for a motorcycle clutch to not fully disengage?

When I rev the engine in 1st with the clutch in, I can feel that the bike wants to move a little. I don't think I could get to any speed, but I do feel some drag. Up on the center stand, clutch in, idle throttle makes the rear wheel move.

Do I bleed the clutch? Adjust clutch lever throw? Accept it as normal?

How badly does it want to move? If it drags quite a bit and you don't think you could stop the wheel with your hand, it's probably the clutch not fully disengaging. A little bit of drag is normal with wet clutches, but it shouldn't be able to move the bike with you on it.

I don't know what kind of bike you've got, if it's a hydraulic clutch, you may want to check for a slow leak, bleed the system, top it off, whatever. I've only done this in cars but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. Never had a bike with a hydro clutch. If it's a cable just adjust it at the engine side and the lever side, follow your shop manual, it should tell you what you need to know.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I think I asked before, but I've got a `00 GS500E, and it looks like the speedometer is connected to the left side of the front wheel...my speedo's off by about 8-10% (it ready 70, I'm going 60ish). Aside from mounting a GPS, is there a way to get a more accurate speedo? It's not a big deal, it's just really annoying to have to do the math in my head each time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I think I asked before, but I've got a `00 GS500E, and it looks like the speedometer is connected to the left side of the front wheel...my speedo's off by about 8-10% (it ready 70, I'm going 60ish). Aside from mounting a GPS, is there a way to get a more accurate speedo? It's not a big deal, it's just really annoying to have to do the math in my head each time.

You can run a taller front tire, but besides that, there's no easy way to make it more accurate. Don't go up more than one size on the second number (ie 120/60 to 120/70).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I finally figured out my previous oil leak problem, but a bout of idiocy consumed me shortly after. I went out on a nice ride, and when I got home I got distracted by a neighbor when I was getting off my bike. Cue me forgetting to cut the lights and walking inside. By the time I had the gut-wrenching realization that I had left the keys in the bike and lights on all night, I came out and the bike was dead.

I bought a 1amp trickle charger and charged the battery for the suggested time (it is a 12A-A and told me to charge it for 9 hours and let it sit for one) and hooked it up but when I turned the key the headlights and gauge lights didn't come on. I knew the battery was at least a year old, but didn't know how long the previous owner had kept it, so I went out and bought a replacement battery. I filled all of the chambers of it and charged it for 9 hours again, let it sit for an hour and installed it. Same thing: the bike is still completely dead. At this point I'm guessing it's not the battery (unless I'm doing something completely wrong during the charging process) and it could be something else--could the alternator or something get fried from a complete drain on the battery? :saddowns:

EDIT: Bike is a 1985 Honda CB450sc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Do you have a multimeter? What's the sitting voltage of the battery?

Ducks
Oct 11, 2005

Coming to a pond near you
My bike has a few deep scratches so I picked up some touchup paint from Color Rite. Is there a secret to applying this paint for it to not look like poo poo? They match the paint colour specifically to my bike. I also bought primer and clearcoat. I haven't used the clearcoat yet as I want to put on a couple layers of the colour. The problem is that the brush strokes (brush is included with paint) really show and the spots where I painted the scratches just looks stupid. It isn't smooth and really doesn't blend well. Will clearcoat make much difference? Is there something I'm missing?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Z3n posted:

Do you have a multimeter? What's the sitting voltage of the battery?

I don't have a multimeter, but I'm guessing I should pick one up. I figured I wouldn't need one since I was testing it out with a new battery; I just used the (probably wildly inaccurate and foolish) alternate method listed on the battery instructions that said to charge for the recommended time and then listen for bubbling to know it was charged.

EDIT: I'm picking up a multimeter tomorrow morning (local shop was out and are getting one in on the morning truck), but in the meantime I checked the ground wire and it doesn't look like there is a short there. The service manual says that a potential cause for this is a blown Main Fuse. Is it at all probable that the main fuse would blow from leaving the lights on all night?

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 28, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Welp, what better way to start off a three day weekend than stripping the threads in the oil drain hole?

What's the recommended mend for this boneheaded move? Heli-Coils? Something else I found called TimeSerts? Are either of these products something that I'me going to be able to find somewhere in SoCal today?

There is no :sigh: big enough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Welp, what better way to start off a three day weekend than stripping the threads in the oil drain hole?

What's the recommended mend for this boneheaded move? Heli-Coils? Something else I found called TimeSerts? Are either of these products something that I'me going to be able to find somewhere in SoCal today?

There is no :sigh: big enough.

Depending on how much meat there is on it, you could also tap it out one size larger. Id probably shoot for a helicoil/timesert though.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Z3n posted:

Find the recommended settings on TT, seriously. Eddie is the man for drz stuff, and he's posted jetting recommendations for just about every drz config available.

I got pretty far with this, 160 main jet solved the problem but now it is bogging when I give it the goose but only at idle. It idles fine, and I can WOT if I do it slowly and it "catches up" if that makes sense, but if I go full throttle at idle it sputters and dies. I have tried several of the recommended settings (apparently nobody has a setup exactly like mine, hmm) with the clip at 2nd, 3rd, 4th position and the fuel screw at settings of 1.5, 2, 2.25, 2.5, 2.75 and it's either too rich or too lean. I'm not good at this stuff but I'm assuming if it's popping thru the exhaust it's rich and if it's popping thru the carb it's lean. Is it possible to pop thru the carb if it's rich? When I take the carb off sometimes it's smoking and looks like there's gas in the intake side of the engine. Yeah I obviously have no idea what I'm doing but I didn't think I was this bad. :bang:

Also there are no air leaks anywhere.

Would adjusting the float height help with this? How do I tell if the thing is bogging because it's too rich or too lean? Is there a basic strategy to dialing one of these things in because I've just sort of been using a trial and error sort of game plan and it's really not getting me much of anywhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Have you done the accelerator pump oring mod?

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Z3n posted:

Nope but I'm about to try it! :sweatdrop:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ducks posted:

My bike has a few deep scratches so I picked up some touchup paint from Color Rite. Is there a secret to applying this paint for it to not look like poo poo? They match the paint colour specifically to my bike. I also bought primer and clearcoat. I haven't used the clearcoat yet as I want to put on a couple layers of the colour. The problem is that the brush strokes (brush is included with paint) really show and the spots where I painted the scratches just looks stupid. It isn't smooth and really doesn't blend well. Will clearcoat make much difference? Is there something I'm missing?

Wet sand it before you clear.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Depending on how much meat there is on it, you could also tap it out one size larger. Id probably shoot for a helicoil/timesert though.

Thought about going larger, though once you're past the wall thickness of the case it looks like there's just little flanges that extend the threads into the case more. Suzuki! :argh:

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Z3n posted:

No dice, same issue. FWIW the exhaust smells really rich but there's definitely a very loud bang coming through the air filter a lot of the times when it dies.

FakeUsername
Dec 16, 2007
Musicians Duet Better
I'm just now getting into bikes, and I've stumbled across a 2007 Ninja 250 for $2500, and it only has 300 miles on it. He kept it running and checked up to make sure fluids were good despite the low miles, and it's in stunning showroom condition. Anything I should be wary of?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
If he kept running it without getting it to operate temp for at least a few minutes he brought water into the oil. Why people still do this is beyond me.

I have no idea if this can do damage over a 3 year period, but I would have a mechanic look it over as a part of the sale. Assuming that's what you mean by running it.

Otherwise just get the usual oil change intervals, look it over and get a test ride in.

FakeUsername
Dec 16, 2007
Musicians Duet Better

Bondematt posted:

If he kept running it without getting it to operate temp for at least a few minutes he brought water into the oil. Why people still do this is beyond me.

I have no idea if this can do damage over a 3 year period, but I would have a mechanic look it over as a part of the sale. Assuming that's what you mean by running it.

Otherwise just get the usual oil change intervals, look it over and get a test ride in.

From what I was told, he'd take it on the weekends and go on multiple-mile rides, so I don't believe it was just sitting there idling for 30seconds. A mechanic friend of mine may go with me to see it, but if he can't go, are there particular things I should keep an eye out for during a visual inspection/test ride? I don't know motorcycles barely at all, so this is still foreign territory for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

No dice, same issue. FWIW the exhaust smells really rich but there's definitely a very loud bang coming through the air filter a lot of the times when it dies.

Try choking it and seeing if that makes it better or worse.