Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ragequit posted:

Woah now, they each took 6 hours for me. 15 hours might be a little much.

It's been a long, long time since I played them. You're probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

what's wrong with you :colbert:

Nothing. I've just already finished Persona 3 (FES edition) and Persona 4.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ChuckDHead posted:

I loved Just Cause 2, though I never got round to finishing it simply because it's so insanely huge that I can't even try to head for a mission without getting massively distracted.
It is also one of the few games that gets even more awesome once you mod/cheat it up for more mayhem.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Morpheus posted:

The Penny Arcade Adventures is a great couple RPGs that clock in at about 10 hours each, max, but they stopped making them after the second :(.

I'm still pissed off at Hothead for deciding to focus on the "hilarious"-looking Deathspank over making the last in the PA Adventures series, and I just can't be bothered to read the prose stuff on the PA site that concludes it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

This Jacket Is Me posted:

And God bless it for that! The biggest barrier to me getting into RPGs anymore is the fact that I can't keep the story straight in my head over the months it takes me to complete a thorough playthrough of 80 plus hours. At some point, I wake up, weeks into a game, not knowing what the gently caress is going on and trying to remember how what I'm currently doing relates to anything at all, never mind trying to carefully guide a story in some of the more open-ended RPGs. This was true even to an extent when I was a kid, but it's even worse now.

That's what weekends and sick days are for :colbert:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

ChuckDHead posted:

I'm still pissed off at Hothead for deciding to focus on the "hilarious"-looking Deathspank over making the last in the PA Adventures series, and I just can't be bothered to read the prose stuff on the PA site that concludes it.

If it's any consolation, Deathspank is awful. :haw:

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

UselessLurker posted:

It's not even that it's awful, it's just boring. Oh, wait yeah it's pretty awful.

When is the last time someone made a good action rpg, besides the newer Ys games? Dang.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

UselessLurker posted:

I don't know whether that makes me feel better or worse.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any other games out there recently like Alpha Protocol, ME2, or anything else that could be probably pigeonholed as an action RPG? The pickings feel kinda slim for some reason. :(

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Divinity II could count. (Get "Dragon Knight Saga" and not the original version if you do.)

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Ledneh posted:

Are there any other games out there recently like Alpha Protocol, ME2, or anything else that could be probably pigeonholed as an action RPG? The pickings feel kinda slim for some reason. :(

I'm hesitant to mention it since you specifically listed AP and ME2 (guns!), but The Witcher 2 recently came out and it's fantastic. If you have a decent PC and don't mind playing a very difficult game, I highly recommend it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

TooManyUzukis posted:

I'm hesitant to mention it since you specifically listed AP and ME2 (guns!), but The Witcher 2 recently came out and it's fantastic. If you have a decent PC and don't mind playing a very difficult game, I highly recommend it.

I second this. It's really good, with a shitload of stuff to do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooManyUzukis posted:

Not that its tutorial is very bare bones and easy to miss as it consists of windows that pop up without pausing the game. Often things like "hey you should dodge dragon fire like this" while you are being attacked by a dragon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I tried to get into Witcher 1 recently but the overall play style/style of combat failed to do it for me. Is Witcher 2 any different?

phreaky
Nov 4, 2009

What I find more disturbing than a guy saying he's not going to buy a game is the set of comments by people who instantly project their own insecurities and assume the individual is white, male, and ironically, a bigot.

Ledneh posted:

Divinity 2, Risen. I'd recommend against Gothic 4 or Two Worlds 2.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Ledneh posted:

I tried to get into Witcher 1 recently but the overall play style/style of combat failed to do it for me. Is Witcher 2 any different?

The Witcher 2 is based in an entirely different (and fairly well-designed) engine. The combat only resembles that of the first game in that you are hitting things with swords.

Keep in mind, its fairly difficult and the tutorials flash by in an instant. A lot of people get stuck on the first fight for a while before things start to click. Hint: Use Quen. Use Quen a lot. And try NOT to get hit. You're as mortal as anyone else in the world, just faster and more skilled, so swords and monsters can kill you FAST.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Can anyone recommend me a good jrpg along the lines of SaGa Frontier? I loved both the sheer number of side characters available to the player and the large amount of customization fit into every nook and cranny.

Basically what I'm asking is if anyone can suggest a game with plenty of customization both in terms of party and/or mechanics?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Basically what I'm asking is if anyone can suggest a game with plenty of customization both in terms of party and/or mechanics?

Well, I like the SaGa games for the music and art direction, so that might secretly be what's compelling you to play them. I'm pretty sure it's very unique as far as JRPGs go, so you can scrounge all you want but you won't find what you're looking for. I mean I think Valkyrie Profile had something retarded like hundreds of characters, but yeah. VP. Or how about Star Ocean 2? You can break the gently caress out of that and it has tons of characters, but while the art direction and general batshit is there, there isn't too much in the way of actual character customization.

But if you for reals know that it's the customization, then I'd definitely suggest pretty much any player-centric WRPG released in the past thirty years, from Deathlord to Baldur's Gate to Neverwinter Nights to maybe even Alpha Protocol, though that one is more customization-through-choice-and-action rather than numbers and poo poo.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 28, 2011

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm on an Oblivion binge because I never really got into it before. Wondering any of you guys played it with difficulty on the harder side of the spectrum can give some types? I've been playing on Medium with a caster and plan to have a new character as a fighter because heavy armor compels me.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good jrpg along the lines of SaGa Frontier? I loved both the sheer number of side characters available to the player and the large amount of customization fit into every nook and cranny.

Romancing Saga Minstrel Song for PS2 is the closest thing to Saga Frontier

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone played Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes? Hopefully it's kosher to discuss, being a rom hack and all. I thought there was a C&D slapped on the project a long time ago, but apparently that was faked to generate publicity? It released at the beginning of this year. Any thoughts on if it's worth checking out or not?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Haven't played it, but I read that Chrono actually speaks in this version, which, I'm not that cool with.
Also I think the C&D was true, they were using the same sprites as the original.

EDIT:
Speaking of indie games, whatever happened to that "Bob's RPG" game? I remember that Nintendo wouldn't give him the dev kit so he couldn't put it onto a cart and he flipped out on a live video feed and trashed his studio. But than there was some talk of him teaming up with a cycloDS ripoff company and releasing it as a ROM on the drive, and there was alot of controversy around that. Than things just sort of died off.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 28, 2011

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
All this SaGa Frontier talk reminded me I wanted to play it on my cousin's PS1 back when I was little but the rental store didn't have it. Is it grindy like some of the jrpgs during that time? I can't stand grind anymore now that I'm older.

Of course I probably won't get to it until I finish Visions and Voices Overhaul, Tomba!, and Final Fantasy 6.

(Seriously everyone play Visions and Voices, it owns.)

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

casual poster posted:

Haven't played it, but I read that Chrono actually speaks in this version, which, I'm not that cool with.
Also I think the C&D was true, they were using the same sprites as the original.
The C&D was totally made up. Proof:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/f3n5h/never_before_leaked_chrono_trigger_crimson_echoes

quote:

You know what? You're right. This is totally stupid. I'm using my alt account for this (buu700) as proof of the validity of my admission.
Yes, I faked the C&D. Hey, it worked out well, didn't it? We got a ton of publicity, an article on MTV, and cult status. That's a win if I've ever seen one.
Obviously, yeah, I'm also buu700. Couldn't leak the game as myself, could I? ;)
The Flames of Eternity crew are good guys, but their vision for Crimson Echoes is flawed; I can't just let them take credit for my work like that.
I will be issuing a public apology on the Chrono Compendium website tomorrow morning. I now realise how foolish and uncalled for it was to be so dishonest with my fans.
Best Regards,
ZeaLitY
P.S. Keep your posts up; no sense in throwing away credit for your impressive investigative work.

As for the quality of the game itself, it's a rom hack. What do you think?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I finished Fallout 2 a few days ago and really liked how open-world it was. Can anyone recommend some similar games?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Last Remnant (PC version) resembles a Saga Frontier game.

Would definitely pickup Minstrel Song though, it's a really good game.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Lakbay posted:

(Seriously everyone play Visions and Voices, it owns.)

I've tried to play this game several times, but around day four or five I just lose interest. Any tips for making combat tolerable? And have all the lovely random crashes been fixed?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rascyc posted:

Last Remnant (PC version) resembles a Saga game.

Last Remnant was made by the SaGa team. It was effectively an attempt at stealth-relaunching the franchise.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Post poste posted:

I've tried to play this game several times, but around day four or five I just lose interest. Any tips for making combat tolerable? And have all the lovely random crashes been fixed?

I know one of the devs has an account here, but the overhaul version was released a few months after the original release when the thread showed up here. I couldn't run it when I had vista but I suddenly could run it when I upgraded to win7. I haven't had any crashes with the overhaul.

They made it so that you can get all the characters by day 3 and everyone by day 4 I believe. For the first few days, avoid everything and try to loot as many treasure chests and find as many skills as possible. What did you not like about the combat? It's standard Final Fantasy ATB fare. Basically you want to use everything at your disposal and use as many consumables as needed. All enemies, including bosses can be debuffed and the game really encourages you to use every skill your character has.

To make the early game easier, try and buy the forcecutter from chaplin the cat in the northern cave and give it to telia or wanderer if he has high perception. It attacks all enemies and does decent damage. Also buff your squishiest character with telia's regen buff in every battle.

If you don't like having to revisit to the same nooks and crannies in the town to see if anything has changed, then the game definitely isn't for you since the game is heavily focused around exploring and you'll only find skills, loot, and feat upgrades that way. It's definitely the weakest point of the game since it gets super samey. Most of the new content has also been shoved into the endgame too.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

The C&D was totally made up. Proof:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/f3n5h/never_before_leaked_chrono_trigger_crimson_echoes

As for the quality of the game itself, it's a rom hack. What do you think?

While being incredibly cheap in certain sections (or just tedious), Parallel Worlds, the LttP romhack is actually really well done.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Last Remnant (PC version) resembles a Saga Frontier game.

Would definitely pickup Minstrel Song though, it's a really good game.

haha I've been thinking about starting up another playthrough of Last Remnant. My first impression of the game was rather lukewarm, but now that I think about it Last Remnant did scratch some of the itches I've been craving (lots of random, unique side characters, learning abilities in combat, lots of unique magics, etc.).

I'll definitely look at Minstrel Song though, thanks everyone who replied !

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Lakbay posted:

It's standard Final Fantasy ATB fare.

Basically this, I was making sure to kill most of the things in my path, so combat became tedious, because I was too lazy to play avoid all the time.
I'll give it another shot in a few days. What do you recommend the Wanderer be?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So... so I made the mistake of not reading the reviews and bought Risen for the 360 because it was quite cheap. There seem to be some interesting aspects to it, though. Should I just forget the console version and get it for PC (seems to cost even less)? If it looks like rear end on the PC as well, I may as well play through the 360 version.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jerry Cotton posted:

So... so I made the mistake of not reading the reviews and bought Risen for the 360 because it was quite cheap. There seem to be some interesting aspects to it, though. Should I just forget the console version and get it for PC (seems to cost even less)? If it looks like rear end on the PC as well, I may as well play through the 360 version.
Return your 360 version and get the PC version. The 360 version suffered really poorly and the PC version is the definitive version. I don't remember the game looking like rear end at all on the PC, but I heard about the 360 version having all sorts of graphical issues.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Post poste posted:

Basically this, I was making sure to kill most of the things in my path, so combat became tedious, because I was too lazy to play avoid all the time.
I'll give it another shot in a few days. What do you recommend the Wanderer be?

Yeah DO NOT fight everything. I think it even says in the survival you want to avoid as much as possible to conserve supplies, in the endgame where I'm at I only fight battles to steal/get money for ornate keys. For wanderer focus on bravery and perception so you can maximize the broken shooting star ability. Also don't forget that wanderer is a SF/WP battery so don't forget to use the stealing and gifting skills so you can save food and potions.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Probably a stupid question, but can anyone give me some insight on what level I'm supposed to be once I get to the Moon in FF4? I'm in the mid-40's and getting my rear end handed to me by every mob I encounter.

I checked walkthroughs but they didn't really say

Whack fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 29, 2011

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

PlasticPaddy posted:

Probably a stupid question, but can anyone give me some insight on what level I'm supposed to be once I get to the Moon in FF4? I'm in the mid-40's and getting my rear end handed to me by every mob I encounter.

I checked walkthroughs but they didn't really say

There are a lot of sidequests in the underworld that you should do first, I didn't really touch the moon until I got the summons down there and I don't remember what level, but Rosa had Reflect so that could be a way to check I guess.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I was atleast in my 50's to early 60's on the moon. Once Rosa learns reflect its alot easier.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I generally head to the moon once Rosa learns Holy. Of course this includes doing the Cave of Sylph and Land of Monster sidequests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
poo poo, I didn't do any of those sidequests.