Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The next chapter will start with Ippo just getting dropped like a sack of bricks and then everyone sitting around going WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rei_ posted:

The next chapter will start with Ippo just getting dropped like a sack of bricks and then everyone sitting around going WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
That would be an original plot twist. I highly doubt it.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Literally any other boxing manga more engaging at this point. 10,000% more interested in what would happen next in RRR than Ippo. Man, I can not even remember the last meaningful thing that happened in this manga. Must have been *years* ago.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Wong Dongson posted:

Literally any other boxing manga more engaging at this point. 10,000% more interested in what would happen next in RRR than Ippo. Man, I can not even remember the last meaningful thing that happened in this manga. Must have been *years* ago.

I can't even remember the last time Takamura did something awesome, oh god what happened to this manga :smith:

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Wong Dongson posted:

Wish that someone would pick up Boys on the Run so I could have some form of boxing manga that wasn't terrible :(

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Soth posted:

Wish that someone would pick up Boys on the Run so I could have some form of boxing manga that wasn't terrible :(

Man why did you do this to me. It got me all pumping and ready to go like Ippo used to and there was only one boxing scene!

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
This is terrible. Reading this makes me want to die.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009
At this point in time, I don't read Ippo. I read this thread. Much more entertaining and better for my blood pressure.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wong Dongson posted:

Is RRR father than chapter 7 anywhere? Because that and Boys on the Run seem really good. It's sad I'm ready to drop Ippo for either of those if they get on any sort of reliable release schedule.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Nah, 7 was just released the 23rd. They've been pretty solid putting them out every 6/7 days since they started doing it though. So....30th for the next one.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wong Dongson posted:

Nah, 7 was just released the 23rd. They've been pretty solid putting them out every 6/7 days since they started doing it though. So....30th for the next one.

Ah I didn't look at the dates they were released even. Good to have something to look forward to besides One Piece.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Can't remember how long it's been, but I bailed on this series after the Woli story arc ended. Came back a few months ago to get the gist of his next opponent (browsed a few chapters). Just scanned through the previous 2-3. I really haven't missed much, it seems :( God drat.

Geop fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 27, 2011

Scravo
Oct 6, 2008
Man, I think I made the mistake of getting into Ippo way too late in the game. I started reading from the beginning when Morikawa was writing the Woli fight, so I had around 900 chapters of boxing goodness to read. I didn't really notice the absurd buildups, since I didn't have to wait for the next chapter. As much as I still love the series, I can't really imagine reading this thing for 20 years, waiting patiently for each new chapter, only to have the Japanese champ and main character get nervous because some nobody is acting tough. It's still one of my favorites, but drat is it frustrating.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Scravo posted:

Man, I think I made the mistake of getting into Ippo way too late in the game. I started reading from the beginning when Morikawa was writing the Woli fight, so I had around 900 chapters of boxing goodness to read. I didn't really notice the absurd buildups, since I didn't have to wait for the next chapter. As much as I still love the series, I can't really imagine reading this thing for 20 years, waiting patiently for each new chapter, only to have the Japanese champ and main character get nervous because some nobody is acting tough. It's still one of my favorites, but drat is it frustrating.

Well if you were reading in English I don't think we were caught up to current release up until 2007 or 2006? So you had a comfortable buffer generally because the groups doing it would release a few chapters at a time.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
No one sticks with it weekly forever. After this fight a lot of us will bail on the series and check back in a year or two later to see if it's still around.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ya, this series benefits from yearly catchups. Not defending Morikawa's current writing, because it's terrible. But reading a fight all in one go at least eases the frustration a bit.

Trying to read this weekly is an exercise in aggravation as witnessed in this thread every week.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
When this fight is done, I am probably going to wait a few months to read any more, I think that would be best for my sanity.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

Get it?

So you mean in a few months, you'll take a few months break? You'll have forgotten to take a break by then!

And here we see the secret of Ippo's continued "success".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'll tell you the secret of HnI's continuing success: Nostalgia and discernment are mutually exclusive thought processes.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Wong Dongson posted:

So you mean in a few months, you'll take a few months break? You'll have forgotten to take a break by then!

And here we see the secret of Ippo's continued "success".

You see, the brilliance of my plan is that I have given myself enough time to change my mind.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 937

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

That just happened

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
the worst possible result.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Ippo got his neck broke. The end.

Kolos
Jul 19, 2009

Hortism posted:

Ippo got his neck broke. The end.

i hope that this manga gets renamed to Hajime no Takamura or hajime no mashiba

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Amazing twist! Ippo will now never be able to fight again, heck he might not even be able to move again.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

You know, it all the excitement of something actually happening, Ippo getting his brain exploded, it still took the whole chapter for that to happen. Still had pages upon pages of the same explanations. Tricky Morikawa.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ippo gets brain damage from that punch what a twist! Morikawa what the hell are you doing with your manga!?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
We are going to have eight shots over the next one hundred and thirty four chapters of ghosts grabbing that brain and slowly turning it into pesto sauce.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Exactly how many chapters of "Ippo's about to get countered!!" leading up to "Ippo got countered!!" was that, anyway?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

Slippery Tilde
As tedious as the buildup to this chapter was, I am somewhat suprised that Morikawa had the balls to do that to Ippo, I guess now we are going to have to suffer through a 10 round fight of Ippo getting smashed before turning it around at the last second with a tap to the other guys face.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey Ippo rear end in a top hat you've been boxing for a billion years you do know that you can throw a punch while still defending with your other arm right? gently caress you. gently caress Mori too.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
gently caress this manga, I'm done with it.

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cool, like a 15 line monologue from the announcer in the time it took Ippo to dash forward four feet. hopefully he's dead

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hahaha that last page is wonderful.

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
Cool. Some nobody comes out of nowhere and kills Ippo. Great writing.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Poke posted:

Cool. Some nobody comes out of nowhere and kills Ippo. Great writing.

But he's originally from 2 weight classes higher! Because that's both unusual and significant!

KidDynamite posted:

Hey Ippo rear end in a top hat you've been boxing for a billion years you do know that you can throw a punch while still defending with your other arm right? gently caress you. gently caress Mori too.

Hey man, Ippo's angry so he's totally not thinking straight :colbert:.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
"But wait! Ippo is still gathering strength in his fist for a counter-counter punch!"
*15 page discussion about how Ippo took the punch, see you next week*

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Congrats challenger no one likes, you get 40 chapters to slog it out with Ippo instead of getting mercifully crippled in 2-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I don't know why everyone's complaining, at least something happened.