Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sam. posted:

I finished Fallout 2 a few days ago and really liked how open-world it was. Can anyone recommend some similar games?

Arcanum is Fallout but steampunk rather than post-apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

PlasticPaddy posted:

poo poo, I didn't do any of those sidequests.
Well, you can do them afterwards, though I think you lose on getting the Spoon (a throw item for Edge that's guaranteed to do 9999 damage). You should still be able to get the summon that's in the Sylph Cave though I think.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Goons, tell me, what is the absolute chillest RPG ever? I've been on a Harvest Moon kick but my N64 is broken.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ice Phisherman posted:

Goons, tell me, what is the absolute chillest RPG ever? I've been on a Harvest Moon kick but my N64 is broken.

I wouldn't call Harvest Moon chill considering how much rear end-busting you have to do before nighttime on any given day.

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. After all the rear end-busting where you clean up the farm and plant a giant field of grass to feed your ever growing livestock supply with, it gets pretty chill. Wake up in the morning, feed the chickens, sell eggs, feed cows, sell milk, get bitches, get money.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 29, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ice Phisherman posted:

I mean unless you're looking for Pokemon remakes, FF9 is a pretty chill RPG, but I'd say Lunar or Lunar 2 takes the cake on this. Mystic Quest is also rather roll a blunt and relax.

-- Actually yeah Mystic Quest, definitely.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ice Phisherman posted:

If you want something similar to Harvest Moon then you can't go wrong with Rune Factory 3.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Something like 2/3-3/4 of Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is basically adventure tourism. It's chill as anything.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The White Dragon posted:

I mean unless you're looking for Pokemon remakes, FF9 is a pretty chill RPG, but I'd say Lunar or Lunar 2 takes the cake on this. Mystic Quest is also rather roll a blunt and relax.

-- Actually yeah Mystic Quest, definitely.

The only problem I can see with this recommendation is that one should be rocking the gently caress out rather than chilling the gently caress out, at least to the battle music :v:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
@Post poste:

Apparently they're remaking Visions and Voices with completely different gameplay so you may want to wait and try that: http://rpgmaker.net/games/2889/

No idea if they'll actually finish it though.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

PlasticPaddy posted:

poo poo, I didn't do any of those sidequests.

There's a hidden cave in the eastern continent under the water that is the best place to grind. It's been awhile, so I might be confusing this with 3 though.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

I wouldn't call Harvest Moon chill considering how much rear end-busting you have to do before nighttime on any given day.

The GBC version didn't ever end. It just let you keep chilling out with your huge-rear end farm forever and ever. It was amazingly therapeutic to just go do a few days farming and relax.

jannik
Oct 15, 2004

The Biggest Anime
Goons, what's a good action RPG I could play with my gf?

So far we've played the first NES Zelda and A Link to the Past which we enjoyed immensely. After that we played Secret of Mana which was fun due to the 2p aspect of it, but the game itself was not very challenging (besides the last boss) and we had to look up where to go lots of times since the directions given in-game weren't that clear at times.

I suggested the newer Zelda titles but the gf would prefer something 2d if possible, plus she did not like "grown up" Link or something either. One option was Illusion of Gaia, but we both played that as kids already.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

jannik posted:

So far we've played the first NES Zelda and A Link to the Past which we enjoyed immensely. After that we played Secret of Mana which was fun due to the 2p aspect of it, but the game itself was not very challenging (besides the last boss) and we had to look up where to go lots of times since the directions given in-game weren't that clear at times.

I suggested the newer Zelda titles but the gf would prefer something 2d if possible, plus she did not like "grown up" Link or something either. One option was Illusion of Gaia, but we both played that as kids already.

If you liked Illusion of Gaia, you should try Terranigma if you haven't already, they're in the same series of games. The whole Ys series is pretty good too if you're looking for more top down action RPGs. Gun Hazard is my favorite action RPG on the SNES, though that one is quite a bit different in that it's futuristic and a side scroller.

Also on the subject, what's the consensus about Seiken Densetsu 3 anyway? I remember playing it a LONG time ago and thinking it started strong but got to be a gigantic slog by the end of the game. I've heard though, that the three different paths differ in difficulty quite a bit, is that true? If so, what's the "order" of difficulty?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
maybe play Alundra, it's a very good Zelda like game for the Playstation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtnuMYYd6Ok

fun game, puzzles can be quite challenging at times but never overly difficult. The plot is pretty good too

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ice Phisherman posted:

FFT Advance and Advance 2 are really chill and as a bonus it's nearly impossible to lose in them. I'd recommend FFTA2 over the first one if you had to pick though.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Also on the subject, what's the consensus about Seiken Densetsu 3 anyway? I remember playing it a LONG time ago and thinking it started strong but got to be a gigantic slog by the end of the game. I've heard though, that the three different paths differ in difficulty quite a bit, is that true? If so, what's the "order" of difficulty?

I pretty much agree with your assessment, though the endgame is a lot less tedious if you knew what you were doing re: class changing and stat distribution. The paths don't vary in difficulty at all until the endgame and I guess for the two midgame bosses which vary based on who your first character was. If you're running Hawk or Lise the final boss is balls hard.

Seiken 3 is probably the strongest Mana game IMO. Legend of Mana was absolutely incredible-looking but stumbled a bit on mechanics and felt really floaty to me.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Seiken 3 is most fun with a friend, that makes all the grindyness at the end getting that 2nd promotion a lot less tedious.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Paperhouse posted:

maybe play Alundra, it's a very good Zelda like game for the Playstation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtnuMYYd6Ok

fun game, puzzles can be quite challenging at times but never overly difficult. The plot is pretty good too

It's not chill and the puzzles are balls hard and will make you want to tear your hair out why would you recommend this

jannik posted:

How about one of the Crystal Chronicles games? I don't know how good the recent ones are, but I really enjoyed the gamecube one. I think you need GBAs o play it multi though.

He wants to play it with his girlfriend
VVVVV

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 29, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
i wasn't recommending it to the guy who wants a chill RPG, dude who wants an action RPG should like it though since it is a very good one

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Brannock posted:

I pretty much agree with your assessment, though the endgame is a lot less tedious if you knew what you were doing re: class changing and stat distribution. The paths don't vary in difficulty at all until the endgame and I guess for the two midgame bosses which vary based on who your first character was. If you're running Hawk or Lise the final boss is balls hard.

Seiken 3 is probably the strongest Mana game IMO. Legend of Mana was absolutely incredible-looking but stumbled a bit on mechanics and felt really floaty to me.

Yeah I was running Lise. :I

I keep thinking of playing again, so I'll probably look up what are some good builds so it doesn't drag so bad.

Hows the English translation patch actually? I've heard it causes some weirdness but I don't know if it's anything real serious or not.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
GameFAQs has some decent FAQs for Seiken 3. I played with the English patch a bunch of times and never had any issues - I also played with the French patch once and didn't have issues with that either.

I think my favorite cheese combo was Ninja Master, Star Lancer, and whatever you want for your third character (I went with Swordmaster the first time) - multi-target stat downs, multi-target stat boosts, and multi-target elemental sabers. Made dungeons a breeze.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 12, 2014

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Not an action RPG, but Kirby Superstar is like the best multiplayer SNES game ever and it's about as long as an RPG.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Not an action RPG, but Kirby Superstar is like the best multiplayer SNES game ever and it's about as long as an RPG.

You are so right. There's even an RPG boss battle in it! Such a great game. I still bust out my copy for Samurai Kirby. That's the essence of videogaming, in its purest form.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brannock posted:

GameFAQs has some decent FAQs for Seiken 3. I played with the English patch a bunch of times and never had any issues - I also played with the French patch once and didn't have issues with that either.

I think my favorite cheese combo was Ninja Master, Star Lancer, and whatever you want for your third character (I went with Swordmaster the first time) - multi-target stat downs, multi-target stat boosts, and multi-target elemental sabers. Made dungeons a breeze.

Seiken 3 was one of those games where a lot of it was really quite fun (the main combat system), but there's just a bunch of poo poo that makes it a little too tedious to play (grinding, the whole game stopping as they play the 5-second long spell effects). Trying to go through that game with Angela/Carlie without falling asleep is impossible.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

jannik posted:

Tales of series lets you play multiplayer and it's fun. If you have 360, get Tales of Vesperia, it's probably the best game in the series so far. If not, Tales of the Abyss for PS2. If you're Wii/GC only try tracking down a copy of Tales of Symphonia.

If you're going 2D only then there's Tales of Phantasia, though I have no idea if that's two player.

I'd also look into Pocky & Rocky series. Not really an RPG but one of the most fun co op adventures on the SNES other than Goemon 1 and 2.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ice Blue posted:

Tales of series lets you play multiplayer and it's fun. If you have 360, get Tales of Vesperia, it's probably the best game in the series so far. If not, Tales of the Abyss for PS2. If you're Wii/GC only try tracking down a copy of Tales of Symphonia.

Echoing this. Vesperia is amazing fun with 2-4 people, even if they only play in battles. It's too bad they'll never translate the PS3 version since it was even more multiplayer friendly.

Haven't tried Abyss with multiple players yet, but I imagine it's the same.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ice Blue posted:

If you're going 2D only then there's Tales of Phantasia, though I have no idea if that's two player.

Pretty sure only the Symphonia team games (Abyss, Symphonia, Vesperia) have multiplayer. Graces F might but it's not out til next year.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I was running Lise. :I

I keep thinking of playing again, so I'll probably look up what are some good builds so it doesn't drag so bad.

Hows the English translation patch actually? I've heard it causes some weirdness but I don't know if it's anything real serious or not.

Dunno about the patch since I've only played SD3 on the cart, but in terms of builds as long as you have Charlotte on your team you're pretty much set, since she gets good healing magic no matter what she does. For real min-maxing you'll want one offense/support/healing character each. All you really need though for smooth sailing is one multi-target healer and you'll be OK. Relying entirely on items for healing sucks, as I learned my first time through the game. :(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you liked Illusion of Gaia, you should try Terranigma

Also Soul Blazer, the third game in the set (and first chronologically released) which came out in the US but tends to be a bit of a forgotten gem. They're also thematically similar to Actraiser, which you may be familiar with but if not is basically a 50/50 mix of action platformer and citybuilding sim and seems like another game worth trying with the girlfriend.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

In my experience, it'd be the most universally beloved Mana game if it had ever come out here. SD2 is probably more popular, but only because every nerd and their cousin played it (together!) when they were kids. I think it has some janky mechanics (playing with a caster friend can get annoying) and boring parts but so did Mana and Evermore, and the post-SNES games that I've played were all just a mess for different reasons. Being able to pick from six characters and customize them via stats and class changes is a nice RPG-like boon to Mana's really simple fighter/mage/priest setup.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Dunno about the patch since I've only played SD3 on the cart, but in terms of builds as long as you have Charlotte on your team you're pretty much set, since she gets good healing magic no matter what she does. For real min-maxing you'll want one offense/support/healing character each. All you really need though for smooth sailing is one multi-target healer and you'll be OK. Relying entirely on items for healing sucks, as I learned my first time through the game.

Hello no-healer buddy! My first party was like Dark/Dark Duran, Dark/Light Hawk, and Dark/Light Angela or something. In case you never discovered them yourself, the Secret is the group heal potions you can buy from the black market in the port town.

EDIT: On another note, does anybody know if you can play SD3 with three players via multitap emulation or anything like that? The last time I tried we couldn't figure out how and concluded that maybe the game is only two-player, and the subject has come up again with some other friends recently.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 30, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Also Soul Blazer, the third game in the set (and first chronologically released) which came out in the US but tends to be a bit of a forgotten gem. They're also thematically similar to Actraiser, which you may be familiar with but if not is basically a 50/50 mix of action platformer and citybuilding sim and seems like another game worth trying with the girlfriend.

Yeah I like Soul Blazer a lot too. I don't think the games have any actual continuity, though they do reference Soul Blazer during Illusion of Gaia at some point.

Any idea if taking Kevin as Light/Dark will suffice for group healing? I was thinking of rolling Duran/Kevin/Lise to avoid having to use any sort of offensive magic.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

EDIT: On another note, does anybody know if you can play SD3 with three players via multitap emulation or anything like that? The last time I tried we couldn't figure out how and concluded that maybe the game is only two-player, and the subject has come up again with some other friends recently.

It was only 2 player apparently, but there is a patch for the rom floating around that enables 3 human players.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/179/

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Vermain posted:

Seiken 3 was one of those games where a lot of it was really quite fun (the main combat system), but there's just a bunch of poo poo that makes it a little too tedious to play (grinding, the whole game stopping as they play the 5-second long spell effects). Trying to go through that game with Angela/Carlie without falling asleep is impossible.

I feel like any animation you see regularly shouldn't be longer than a second or two, personally. It makes your game take loving forever and in that time I'm not doing anything.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I like Soul Blazer a lot too. I don't think the games have any actual continuity, though they do reference Soul Blazer during Illusion of Gaia at some point.

Any idea if taking Kevin as Light/Dark will suffice for group healing? I was thinking of rolling Duran/Kevin/Lise to avoid having to use any sort of offensive magic.

If you have Multi-target Heal Light or w/e it's called then you're fine and that group owns.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

nene. posted:

If you have Multi-target Heal Light or w/e it's called then you're fine and that group owns.

Yeah this, Light Duran and Kevin both get heal light and L/D both of them both get multi-target. Really the only time not having a multi-target heal spell hurt me was on the final boss by which point you'll have the second class change for it.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Pretty sure only the Symphonia team games (Abyss, Symphonia, Vesperia) have multiplayer. Graces F might but it's not out til next year.

That's...completely wrong? I can see where you might get that impression, though, considering how they've basically only been localizing Team Symphonia games. And Legendia, I guess. Of course, Graces F has multiplayer.

Edit: I played all the way through Eternia/Destiny 2 in the US as player 2, and that's 2D (and also a lot better than Phantasia).

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah this, Light Duran and Kevin both get heal light and L/D both of them both get multi-target. Really the only time not having a multi-target heal spell hurt me was on the final boss by which point you'll have the second class change for it.

It is worth noting that Light Kevin and Duran will only get muti-target heal until the tail end of the game when you get that second class change so if you use either one as your main healer you're going to have to rely on items for healing for most of the game. Also in the case of Light Duran if you go for his multi-target heal you'll miss out on a level 3 multi-target special attack. It's still perfectly doable though if you go for the attack instead; my first time through the game I used Duran/Angela/Hawkeye and did that, and the only time I regretted not getting the heal was against the optional boss, who's, well..optional.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Hey all, quick question. I was at a garage sale over the weekend and noticed the guy had some classic Playstation RPGs, so I picked up Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy 9, and Suikoden 2 for 50 cents apiece. I figured that even if they sucked...50 cents. Good purchases? Any of them really good? I know that there were some amazing RPG's in the old Playstation days and some really lovely ones, and I never played any of these, and can't remember if they were supposed to be any good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

A Nice Boy posted:

Hey all, quick question. I was at a garage sale over the weekend and noticed the guy had some classic Playstation RPGs, so I picked up Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy 9, and Suikoden 2 for 50 cents apiece. I figured that even if they sucked...50 cents. Good purchases? Any of them really good? I know that there were some amazing RPG's in the old Playstation days and some really lovely ones, and I never played any of these, and can't remember if they were supposed to be any good.

All of them are very good, you're drat lucky.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

A Nice Boy posted:

Vagrant Story is an amazing game with a great story, if you can get past the now-obtuse menu switching when it comes to changing your weapons around for different encounters.

I really need to start going garage sale hunting again, it would seem. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

A Nice Boy posted:

jesus, Suikoden 2 for 50 cents? People sell that game on ebay for like 100 bucks man

also they're all very good games, some of the best RPGs on the console