Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ippo got punched in the face. What an unexpected twist in this story.

Whelp, I cut out mid Woli fight, I think it's time to leave again. See you all in a year folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

Fabricated posted:

Congrats challenger no one likes, you get 40 chapters to slog it out with Ippo instead of getting mercifully crippled in 2-3.

I like him. He accurately called Ippo's weakness, taunted him to make sure he wasn't thinking straight, and had the balls to follow through. He's already crippled. He can only fight with one hand. He's also all hosed up from the weight loss. It's a bout time Ippo got seriously loving wrecked because he has no initiative, and just follows the same drat pattern in every fight. "I will rush forward and beat the enemy to death with my retard strength and burning nippon spirit!". No, you'll charge straight into a counter and spend the next three months pissing into a bag you moron. Learn to fight.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I think everyone's missing the big picture here.

Get ready for... dozens of chapters of burning rehab! It's perfect, he gets to do the same burning spirit rehash, but with the legitimate excuse of a cripple Ippo to justify boring panels! And he can string it along forever!

Ippo getting his rear end knocked out felt good tho.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress that. I WANT Ippo to get pissed and wreck people.:mad:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Calling it that Ippo uses the Date head twist and isn't hurt at all.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

They've been telling us that he's going to get punched in the face for HOW many months? I mean jesus christ this was the most telegraphed punch in the history of the universe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gils posted:

I don't know why everyone's complaining, at least something happened.

Something stupid happened. Going from poo poo to a slightly different kind of poo poo doesn't constitute an improvement.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ippo has recovered from far worse head trauma. Actually, being hit in the head only makes him stronger! I wouldn't want to be in what's-his-name place in the next chapter.

I will kill Morikawa if, after Ippo's imminent recovery from that megaton punch, challenger-san forfeits the match because "welp, I did what I came to do, I bet my son is proud and poo poo"

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 29, 2011

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Ippo is dead guys. His neck has been snapped from a 2 ton punch.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kuai posted:

Ippo is dead guys. His neck has been snapped from a 2 ton punch.
This makes Itagaki the new main character.

The remainder of the manga takes place in bullet time and is filled with awful puns.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Sindai posted:

This makes Itagaki the new main character.

The remainder of the manga takes place in bullet time and is filled with awful puns.

Why wouldn't Takamura become the new leading man, he is obviously the coolest.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Hajime no Ippo means First Step. The past 22 years have been building up to a heart-warming story about a quadriplegic ex-boxer struggling to regain the use of his legs.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

frabba posted:

Also wasn't a large part of his pre-match training focused on strengthening his neck? Wouldn't be surprised if the next chapter was just a dust cloud for several pages and then ended with Ippo being unaffected after the smoke clears.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

frabba posted:

Dropped in the first round, gets up at a 8 count. Fight continues normally.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

frabba posted:

He twists his head too far and his head is on backwards but he still fights with his super-sharp elbows.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Why wouldn't Takamura become the new leading man, he is obviously the coolest.

Morikawa has no idea of how to write a Takamura fight any more. The only way Takamura has any trouble is if he completely forgets how to box for no real reason.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Morikawa has no idea of how to write a Takamura fight any more. The only way Takamura has any trouble is if he completely forgets how to box for no real reason.

He's done that at least once in the past hasn't he? I think it was the fight where he just kept doing his stupid beetle uppercut or something.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Just out of curiosity so I can hit up the anime, what're the most flat-out awesome fights in the manga/anime? I've heard good things about Takamura vs Hawk/Eagle~

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Just out of curiosity so I can hit up the anime, what're the most flat-out awesome fights in the manga/anime? I've heard good things about Takamura vs Hawk/Eagle~

I'd vote for Ippo vs Sendo for the championship (last arc of 1st season) or Takamura vs Hawk (last arc of 2nd season). They're both fantastic.

Unfortunately, Takamura vs Eagle goes past the point that the anime covers, but it is a pretty sweet fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

He's done that at least once in the past hasn't he? I think it was the fight where he just kept doing his stupid beetle uppercut or something.

That's right. It was his last fight, his only somewhat recent fight. When Takamura turns into Aoki for no reason, you should probably stop hoping for the manga to recover.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

That's right. It was his last fight, his only somewhat recent fight. When Takamura turns into Aoki for no reason, you should probably stop hoping for the manga to recover.

And before that, he made a super "look away".

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
His look away was one of my favorite moments in the manga, though. Especially when he blamed Aoki for him being an idiot.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Ippo better be dead, I'm so tired of this poo poo. An entire chapter spent on one punch built up from chapters of powering up. It's poo poo pay off, this comic is poo poo. I guess the fact that ippo grew up on a fishing boat means he has really good stamina and balance. Oh yea, he also is a loving moron so no number punches he takes to the head can make him any more retarded than he already is.

Looking forward to the next chapter where every character has 20/20 hindsight and explains what Ippo should have done.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vagrancy posted:

Also wasn't a large part of his pre-match training focused on strengthening his neck? Wouldn't be surprised if the next chapter was just a dust cloud for several pages and then ended with Ippo being unaffected after the smoke clears.

also that didn't really need a spoiler tag I think.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
We now know that even 5 light taps from Ippo can wreck an ape man. All this past discussion just assumes that brain damage pic was Ippo's brain. Perhaps it isn't? That would be sooo cooool :downsbravo:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

trucutru posted:

We now know that even 5 light taps from Ippo can wreck an ape man. All this past discussion just assumes that brain damage pic was Ippo's brain. Perhaps it isn't? That would be sooo cooool :downsbravo:

Haha, yeah, maybe its the brain of the reader and is supposed to show how retarded we are for diligently following a manga that has been in decline for years :smith:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

All that's happened is the guy broke the Limiter Release in Ippo's brain and we're about to see Dempsey Roll 3.0 where he just doesn't stop punching until a charred, torso-less pair of legs hit the ground.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rei_ posted:

All that's happened is the guy broke the Limiter Release in Ippo's brain and we're about to see Dempsey Roll 3.0 where he just doesn't stop punching until a charred, torso-less pair of legs hit the ground.

Yes, but who wants to see Ippo's charred, torso-less pair of legs hit the ground? Having the other guy just sort of stand off to one side and win by default doesn't sound very entertaining.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, I'm sure we'll all find out all the details in the next 30 chapters of this fight. Of course, win or lose, this fight will make Ippo realize he still isn't ready for "the world".

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Well, I'm sure we'll all find out all the details in the next 30 chapters of this fight. Of course, win or lose, this fight will make Ippo realize he still isn't ready for "the world".

*smiles into the middle distance*
"Guess I still ... have a lot to learn!"
*goes home and never changes a thing in his entire life*

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

After the fight, we'll get a Kumi chapter or two.

Why are we even still here?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Highest Cactus posted:

The hate, it makes us strong!

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

trucutru posted:

The problem with that is that we rush into each new chapter with a head full of hate, and then we get counter punched and get our necks broken.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009

Nilbop posted:

*smiles into the middle distance*
"Guess I still ... have a lot to learn!"
*goes home and never changes a thing in his entire life*

*Yuuzora no Kamihikouki plays in the background

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Highest Cactus posted:

Stockholm syndrome.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

Stockholm syndrome.

Not true. I want to break Mori's fingers nurse him back to health and re-break them. I have no love for him.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

KidDynamite posted:

Not true. I want to break Mori's fingers nurse him back to health and re-break them. I have no love for him.

Misery's-fat-Lady syndrome then?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
What I don't get is that Ippo is ranked like 6th in the world or some bizarre poo poo. How can he not be considered ready for the world stage when he's one of the top ranked boxers in his weight class. On top of that, Sendo and Miyata are both above him, right? And he's beaten both of them. This is retarded.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

trucutru posted:

See it starts with you just using hate to make yourself stronger. but then you start bleeding from your eyes, and losing touch with reality.

Instead of hate. Finding entertainment in how bad and drawn out it is, is better for your long term health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tbp posted:

What I don't get is that Ippo is ranked like 6th in the world or some bizarre poo poo. How can he not be considered ready for the world stage when he's one of the top ranked boxers in his weight class. On top of that, Sendo and Miyata are both above him, right? And he's beaten both of them. This is retarded.

He beat Sendo very early in both of their pro careers so it doesn't mean much when one of them is fighting against other top competitors and the other is fighting Japanese cans. Miyata and Ippo never officially fought so their sparring session at the beginning of the manga wouldn't count towards either of their records or ranking.