Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Why oh why did I finish this game.

Have you seen the credits yet?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Have you seen the credits yet?

Yeah, one in the balls, seven in the head :argh:. I'm now dithering at 98% completion, not sure what I'm missing. Got all outfits, challenges, weapons and hideouts. I just want that bureau uniform then I'm done.

Gotta say that I thought the ending was really good and a nice departure from a lot of games. Red Dead in general has been a hugely satisfying experience and I can see myself picking it back up again sometime. Undead Nightmare didn't come today as expected, should be having more Marston fun tomorrow night.

e: Guess there must be one or two jobs I'm missing.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 24, 2011

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Yeah, one in the balls, seven in the head :argh:.

Where'd you put the other seven? :clint:

(MauZer4lyfe :whatup:)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, one in the balls, seven in the head :argh:. I'm now dithering at 98% completion, not sure what I'm missing. Got all outfits, challenges, weapons and hideouts. I just want that bureau uniform then I'm done.

Gotta say that I thought the ending was really good and a nice departure from a lot of games. Red Dead in general has been a hugely satisfying experience and I can see myself picking it back up again sometime. Undead Nightmare didn't come today as expected, should be having more Marston fun tomorrow night.

e: Guess there must be one or two jobs I'm missing.

If you're a member of the rockstar social club, you can go to the website and check out a list showing exactly what you're missing for 100%.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Morter posted:

Where'd you put the other seven? :clint:

(MauZer4lyfe :whatup:)

My tablecloth was stowed for my next poker game in Blackwater. :colbert:

Yeah I'm like 1.4% off now, it's all bounty missions. Boring as hell but I might try whip through them for the bureau outfit.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Yeah I'm like 1.4% off now, it's all bounty missions. Boring as hell but I might try whip through them for the bureau outfit.

The bounty missions are all based on location, so just check to see where it's supposed to take place and you'll do them easily enough. No problems.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Yeah before the game came out I was REALLY hoping the bounties would be more than just a waypoint.

I was hoping it would be like you get a picture of him and a last known location then you actually investigate. It would have been cool to walk into a saloon and kinda poke around til you find the guy, maybe even be able to ask the bartender if he's seen him (just quick back and forth, no L.A. Noire interrogation expected).

At least we got the kick rear end treasure maps.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Piece of advice.

If you have a friend who thinks he might like the game but wants to try it out, DO NOT LET HIM RIDE A HORSE WITH THE EXPLOSIVE RIFLE.

God drat, he must have killed 4 horses in about 20 mins trying to shoot rabbits and other little critters, only to detonate the back of his horses head.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Is there a completion bug or something? I thought I'd just snap up the last few percent and get the bureau uniform before starting the expansion, but it's stuck on 99.5%. I've went down the list of everything required and checked it against my stats and there isn't a single thing I'm missing. :spergin: Like, I've double checked and even redone a few things just to make sure. I'm about ready to just drop it but it's annoying to leave it there, especially after I wasted time doing more bounty missions just for the completion. I don't have live so I can't check the social club list, I've been checking against the wiki.

e: The loving lists specifically say only 18 stranger missions are required but apparently there's a 19th tucked away. I guess I got trolled.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 26, 2011

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Piece of advice.

If you have a friend who thinks he might like the game but wants to try it out, DO NOT LET HIM RIDE A HORSE WITH THE EXPLOSIVE RIFLE.

God drat, he must have killed 4 horses in about 20 mins trying to shoot rabbits and other little critters, only to detonate the back of his horses head.

Why would you not do this? Sounds goddamn hilarious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Just knowing there's some hosed up ending makes me really want to buckle down and finish the game, but i'm deep into LA Noire right now.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

e: The loving lists specifically say only 18 stranger missions are required but apparently there's a 19th tucked away. I guess I got trolled.

Yeah, "I Know You" doesn't count for 100% as it can't be done after the endgame. All the others do. So basically it's not a case of "Any 18" stranger quests, it's all of them EXCEPT "I Know You".

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Is there a completion bug or something? I thought I'd just snap up the last few percent and get the bureau uniform before starting the expansion, but it's stuck on 99.5%. I've went down the list of everything required and checked it against my stats and there isn't a single thing I'm missing. :spergin: Like, I've double checked and even redone a few things just to make sure. I'm about ready to just drop it but it's annoying to leave it there, especially after I wasted time doing more bounty missions just for the completion. I don't have live so I can't check the social club list, I've been checking against the wiki.

Did you make sure you have all the locations discovered?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Did you make sure you have all the locations discovered?

Oh yeah, that's a good idea. I was missing two places, and one place was this odd area between West Elizabeth and New Austin. I think it was near the Pacific RR Camp or something

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Morter posted:

Oh yeah, that's a good idea. I was missing two places, and one place was this odd area between West Elizabeth and New Austin. I think it was near the Pacific RR Camp or something

Yeah, there was that, Tanner's Reach I think? And some bridge all in the same area that you have little reason to visit that I missed. There was also Plata Grande in Mexico.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Those of you with UN who consider it a little on the easy side, I have a little challenge for you. Try to go ON FOOT through Jorge's Gap using only firearms, no thrown items. No holy water, no bait, no dynamite. Guns only. Christ its tough.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, there was that, Tanner's Reach I think? And some bridge all in the same area that you have little reason to visit that I missed. There was also Plata Grande in Mexico.

Montana Ford. It's what I was missing too. I use it all the time now as it gives you a good shot at finding a stray beaver or two and is a ton faster than riding through Thieves Landing.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Yeah it was just that one stranger mission I'd passed over. I was burned out though so I'll do it next time I pick up vanilla RDR. Undead Nightmare's great fun so far, although I just got a message saying a survivor in Blackwater was killed, and it's dawning on me that I'll have to play whack a mole with all the places I liberate to stop them disappearing off the map I guess. I reckon it was fine that they can be overrun again, but permanently losing them seems tiresome. Only bad point so far though.

The first time I encountered War was a little anti climactic (buckarood right into the river with John yeehawing to his watery grave), but now he's rendered my torch swinging cavalry approach obsolete. When is a horse not a horse? When it's a torch. When is a torch horse not a torch horse? When it is also a battering ram.

Billy Bob FORTRAN
Nov 4, 2007

*THIS IS*
*HOW A*
*SOLDIER*
*~LIVES~*

:qqsay:
It is surprisingly entertaining to walk from Thieve's Landing to Mexico with the drunk and invincible cheats on. Seeing John get ripped up by wolves as he staggers across a rail-bridge is great.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
finally got on the boat with this game. i can't pry myself away from it. i have never played a game where it just feels so satisfying to kill a dude.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

niff posted:

finally got on the boat with this game. i can't pry myself away from it. i have never played a game where it just feels so satisfying to kill a dude.

Be sure and post about it so this doesn't become the Captain Diarrhoea Talks to Himself thread. And yeah I remember the first time I pointed a gun at a dude, who drew on me and got shot in the shoulder. Just watching him crumple clutching at it was :aaa:

Been knocking challenges on the head in Undead Nightmare. Save a town using only tomahawks? Sure I'll do it with Las Hemanas since I have to save that anyway. Oh wait it's the biggest infestation yet. John must have chopped a hundred or more throats by the end of that.

Also gently caress a guy riding past taking a pot shot at the bear you're torch jousting and killing it.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 29, 2011

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Also gently caress a guy riding past taking a pot shot at the bear you're torch jousting and killing it.

Thats when you shoot that fucker in the face for getting in the way.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

niff posted:

I thought nothing would top GTA IV anytime soon, and then came RDR. Just riding through the desert at walking speed, waiting for stuff to happen and people to shoot, is intensely satisfying. I'd pay good money for terrain and random event expansions alone.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Be sure and post about it so this doesn't become the Captain Diarrhoea Talks to Himself thread. And yeah I remember the first time I pointed a gun at a dude, who drew on me and got shot in the shoulder. Just watching him crumple clutching at it was :aaa:

Been knocking challenges on the head in Undead Nightmare. Save a town using only tomahawks? Sure I'll do it with Las Hemanas since I have to save that anyway. Oh wait it's the biggest infestation yet. John must have chopped a hundred or more throats by the end of that.

this is also what makes me real excited. regular RDR is so good, but once i finish it and load up some MSP i can have a whole new campaign. based around zombies.

currently sitting at work, itching to get back home and back into the frontier. only 9 and a half hours to go.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Underflow posted:

I thought nothing would top GTA IV anytime soon, and then came RDR. Just riding through the desert at walking speed, waiting for stuff to happen and people to shoot, is intensely satisfying. I'd pay good money for terrain and random event expansions alone.

Same here. I would kill for more terrain and towns. Even better if it captured the feel the game takes on when you just enter Mexico. You don't know where to start, you don't know the language and the terrain is totally different. That and it's so goddamn big it's hard to remember it all.

I still say Rio Bravo is the scariest area in the game. Yeah Tall Trees has bears but you can see, and hear, those fuckers coming. Cougars just sprint out of thick brush and lunge at your pretty little pony. I skin every cougar I kill on principle alone.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I was assaulted by fifteen bears the first time I entered Tall Trees. Is that par for the course?

And no, I'm not exaggerating, I counted.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I was assaulted by fifteen bears the first time I entered Tall Trees. Is that par for the course?

If you go looking for bears in Tall Trees, you will find none.

If you go looking for anything else in Tall Trees, you are assaulted by fifteen bears.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Always remember that, killing one bear spawns another to seek vengeance, and they do not know fear.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Bloodcider posted:

Always remember that, killing one bear spawns another to seek vengeance, and they do not know fear.

The best thing to do is lower the music (completely, if you want), turn up the sound volume, turn off the hud and just listen for

the breathing

Favorite way to dispatch bears?

Two sawed-offs to the face. What about you guys? :kiddo:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Morter posted:

Tomahawk to the skull :black101:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Morter posted:

Mauser to the face. Or in the case of Brumas, dead eye and a full clip of Mauser to the face.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Buffalo rifle to the face. Pussies fire at six feet or more.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

A full mag of mauser to the face is satisfying no matter the prey.

If you go looking for bears in Tall Trees, you will find none.

If you go looking for anything else in Tall Trees, you are assaulted by fifteen bears.

I also got five cougars when I was looking for a rabbit.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Throwing knife right in the eye socket. Only because I'm too cheap to buy the Tomahawk DLC.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

fennesz posted:

Same here. I would kill for more terrain and towns. Even better if it captured the feel the game takes on when you just enter Mexico. You don't know where to start, you don't know the language and the terrain is totally different. That and it's so goddamn big it's hard to remember it all.

I still say Rio Bravo is the scariest area in the game. Yeah Tall Trees has bears but you can see, and hear, those fuckers coming. Cougars just sprint out of thick brush and lunge at your pretty little pony. I skin every cougar I kill on principle alone.

When I began to understand that you don't just saunter into Rio Bravo, I started getting the real life feeling of being in critter infested underbrush whenever I rode up those hills, shotgun at the ready, swivelling in the saddle like a tank turret, spooked by anything that moved.

Also, the first time I played and didn't know I could whistle a new horse after a few minutes, I got stranded in the desert when a lucky snake downed the horse. The game feels so real that I avoided running on the long trek back; conserving energy and fluids, ya know...

I'm sure it would have been even more fun if there'd been no maps, and you had to find your way using hearsay, deduction, the sporadic signposts, etc. I'm incredibly bad at directions in real life and get lost in my own neighbourhood, so I reckon I'd still be discovering areas in the game even now.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Haha, I should have expected Undead Nightmare to surprise me. Now to find that goat sucker and give it a face full of tongues.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Been asked before, but does Undead Nightmare add interesting missions?

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Underflow posted:

Been asked before, but does Undead Nightmare add interesting missions?

Do you mean in the story, side missions or the challenges? Don't get me wrong I'm really enjoying Undead, but I would say it's not spectacular on it's own. The missions are mostly go somewhere, shoot something, ride back. It's good for people who enjoyed RDR enough that they just wanted more.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

It's good for people who enjoyed RDR enough that they just wanted more.

Also there's Zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Pozzo posted:

Also there's Zombies.

And you can hurl axes from the back of a unicorn.

• Locked thread