Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

A friend of mine has watanabe's in that color on his white NA. Looks great :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
thanks :chord: Those are old track tires and they're coming off tomorrow for a new set of NT-01's 205/55-14

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Took a whole can of aircraft remover to get the ridiculous amount of paint off of my lip. After I spent 3-4 hours scraping the poo poo off and sanding it to perfection, I gave it 3 coats of adhesive promotor, 3 coats of plastic primer, 4 coats of colormatched color which looked great. Waited for everything to flash and then sprayed 2k clearcoat with hardener in it. WOOPS - just turned my lip from a perfect color match to grey. I guess the clear mixed with unflashed color and diluted it or some poo poo. Boo :(

How terrible would it be if I gave it coats of color on top of the clear, and then clear'ed it again.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Finally got some pictures up of my blown headgasket. Somehow there is sand in my coolant. Not sure how exactly or why the HG blew in the first place. I'm banking on assembly error and and going to slap a new one in there without touching the head or block.

http://imgur.com/a/kWafD

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.
I took my first ride in a Miata in a long time today. It was an SCCA ITA prepped Miata. It was also around Barber Motorsports Park with my HPDE instructor who is a god damned demon behind the wheel of that thing. He was getting point-bys from E92 M3s upon corner exit. I have a new definition of 'how do u made apex?'

Moral of the story: :hawaaaafap: That is positively the fastest through the corners I have ever been around that track.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Paging CommieGIR to this thread. :haw:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I've started seriously considering painting the stock wheels on my '99. I don't really like any aftermarket wheels (or want to spend any money) but want something a bit different.

Car is black, so I'm thinking black wheels. Would white look stupid?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Granite Octopus posted:

I've started seriously considering painting the stock wheels on my '99. I don't really like any aftermarket wheels (or want to spend any money) but want something a bit different.

First Time Caller posted:

Here's what stock NB wheels look like after a rattle can respray. Pretty good I think. Don't hate. Too broke for real wheels right now.

I think it looks good! :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Granite Octopus posted:

White would probably look cool. I am in the process of rattle canning my wheels flat black. They are lovely Saab style three spoke aftermarkets. Today I did the center caps and some time in the next week I'll finish them off.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Wow, they look really good. Guess I should have clicked one page back in the thread :doh:

I'd probably need to get them done professionally, as I don't really have a garage or anywhere to spray anymore :(

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

Black disappears and generally just looks like you're running on steelies. Since you have a neutral colored car, anything pretty much works. White, bronze, gold, green, etc. I think a darker bronze would look pretty neat.

Also if you have a pack of playing cards and a flat surface you can pretty much paint anywhere, don't pay someone to do it for you. A scotchbrite and a can or two of spraypaint is all you need.

destructo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 29, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm painting two sets of wheels this year. I'm painting the 94-97 14x6 7 spokes bronze and my set of daisies white or lime green.

I don't know what to do with 3 sets of wheels, though.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Anyone have a miata as their only car? I'd love to get one as my next car within the next few months, but it would be my only vehicle, and I'm just wondering how livable it is day to day. I live in Ontario, so I'll be dealing with a fair bit of snow. I figure I'd definitely find one with a hardtop, and get good snow tires.

Aside from that, what kind of things should I look for when buying a miata? Common problem areas and whatnot? I've read almost the whole faq on miata.net, what else should I know?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Power window died today. Just took apart the switch (again), there was a little carbon, but not much... cleaned up the switch. Still didn't work.

Motor was working great, window was fast and smooth and consistent, not slow (dying motor) or choppy (dying regulator)- just all of a sudden, nothing.

When I use the switch, I can hear the typical electrical click coming from the window motor area, and the map light dims with usage of the switch, so I know it's pulling voltage.

Instantly dead motor with no warning? What the hell? Or what?

Also mnet makes me want to murder someone, I nominate it for the most exhaustive signal to noise ratio website in the history of mankind. 30 paragraphs of useless anecdotes per 1 sentence of practical information.

edit: motor would still make some noise even with a snapped regulator, no?

Jean Eric Burn fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 30, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So I got some new sun visors for my Miata today and I think they look really good. I also polished my Nardi wood shifter and handbrake handle. As for driving, my 70000 mile all-seasons are literally the most grippy tire on the planet and if you argue with me, you are wrong. :lolemoticon:

Topic: My window regulator isn't working right

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

Anyone have a miata as their only car? I'd love to get one as my next car within the next few months, but it would be my only vehicle, and I'm just wondering how livable it is day to day. I live in Ontario, so I'll be dealing with a fair bit of snow. I figure I'd definitely find one with a hardtop, and get good snow tires.

Aside from that, what kind of things should I look for when buying a miata? Common problem areas and whatnot? I've read almost the whole faq on miata.net, what else should I know?

My miata is my only car. Granted I live in Florida so I don't have to deal with snow. I've never really had a space issue however more than once a bulky item had to sit shotgun with the top down. You can pick up a lot of trunk space by leaving behind the useless spare and getting AAA.

Stay away if you have to do a lot of highway trips. Cruising at 4000+ for a few hours really gets annoying. I do sometimes get tired of having to wring it out stop light to stop light to keep up with traffic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TrueChaos posted:

I've had a Miata as my only car for 3 years now and just completed my first "real" trip in it. Had a fullsize spare, 3 bags, a bowling ball, and a small suitcase that rode under the hardtop but on top of the rollbar. Saying it was "fun" would be a stretch, but there was nobody to give me looks at the Philadelphia International Airport at 1am when I was taking off the hardtop to fit poo poo into the car that wouldn't fit in the trunk.

Resources: Miata.net, miataturbo

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Miata is my only car as well. I do fine, although sometimes I do want for a bit more space. I never have any problems hauling groceries, a mini fridge, small TVs, office chairs, etc. I even used it to haul an old futon to the dumpster. The dumpster...in my apartment complex. I obviously couldn't drive for long like this, but it took it all in one trip:

As far as snow: I live in Arkansas so we only deal with snow once or twice a year at most, but I have gotten stuck in a parking space. Once we shoveled snow out from around the car it did fine on the roads. I don't have an LSD but I'm sure one would make it even better in snow.

Blackdawgg posted:

I do sometimes get tired of having to wring it out stop light to stop light to keep up with traffic.

I don't. :dance:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It's not my only car but I rarely use my wife's so I've loaded tons of poo poo in that Miata. You have plenty of space, you just can't throw groceries in there indiscriminately and sometimes have to use a little creativity. But I've brought home plenty of 300 dollar shopping trips from Sam's Club before.

If you're really hardcore, take the passenger seat out. It makes a neat gaming seat, you have a nice cargo area right there, and the best part (and reason I did it) is that your sorry-rear end co-workers can't bum rides.

"Ooohhhhhhhhhhh, I'd love to bring you home, but I only have the one seat"

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Blackdawgg posted:

I do sometimes get tired of having to wring it out stop light to stop light to keep up with traffic.

So just let them roll past and then glance over all :smug:-like when you pass them later because you're a better driver who knows how to pick his lanes.

Or just drive and don't worry about other people.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Piano posted:

edit: motor would still make some noise even with a snapped regulator, no?

Hit the motor with a hammer. No, seriously. Hit it with a hammer.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

TrueChaos posted:

It'll rust. That's about it.

I do just fine 100% stock with snows and a hardtop. If anything I like driving the Miata in the winter more because of how balanced it is.

It has been my only car for 6 years now I think. I end up borrowing another vehicle 1 or 2 times a year for oversized items. I also take my Miata camping and on 4 hour trips.

It works when you're young and a bachelor.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

It'll rust. That's about it.

I do just fine 100% stock with snows and a hardtop. If anything I like driving the Miata in the winter more because of how balanced it is.

It has been my only car for 6 years now I think. I end up borrowing another vehicle 1 or 2 times a year for oversized items. I also take my Miata camping and on 4 hour trips.

It works when you're young and a bachelor.

Wonderful. I don't know why, I just never considered it as an only car. I guess this would be the time to get one!

Thanks to all for the responses.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Well I guess I'll go take this door apart, in the dark, at midnight, while a little bit drunk.

If this motor is broken, I guess I'm gonna have a manual window on the driver side, and a power window on the passenger side, mostly because I don't want to give mazda $200.

I'm converting my car into a lowercase 'r' package.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My NA was my only car for 4 years up until last week. I'm in Seattle so lots of wet days and infrequent snow. It definitely worked great as an only car as a young single guy living in the city. I could borrow/rent a truck when I needed one (rarely), and other than that it was practical enough for me 9 times out of 10

Changes in my lifestyle finally forced me to upgrade to a slightly bigger car (e46 330), but I still love that Mazda. I'll be sad to see it go. :( If you have a lifestyle that supports it, it's a super fun car to buzz around in.

Edit: speaking of, there's about to be a stock 95 M-edition w/ 95k miles and a glass-window top on the market in Seattle soon, if any goons might be interested.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 30, 2011

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I'm currently working on reviving my '90 Mariner Blue that I've owned for 12 years. For the last two years it's been sitting inactive in my garage, waiting for me to get around to repairing the rusty rockers, among other things.

Before long, I expect to start the car up. I plan to replace the gas, change the oil and filter, and replace the plugs and wires. Is there anything else I should be concerned about with a motor that's been inactive this long?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

TrueChaos posted:

Anyone have a miata as their only car?

I DD a 95M. So far it has met all of my cargo-based needs, but keep in mind that before I bought my miata, my only vehicle was a motorcycle.

The only real complaint I have is that when the AC is on it's very noticeable, all my cars before the miata has bigger engines, V6s and V8s, you could hardly even notice when the AC was on, but I seem to always be aware of the power-drain from it in the miata.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I DD a 95M. So far it has met all of my cargo-based needs, but keep in mind that before I bought my miata, my only vehicle was a motorcycle.

The only real complaint I have is that when the AC is on it's very noticeable, all my cars before the miata has bigger engines, V6s and V8s, you could hardly even notice when the AC was on, but I seem to always be aware of the power-drain from it in the miata.

Anyone notice their A/C compressor is LOUD when it engages? Mine has an audible THUNK when it cycles.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

Previa_fun posted:

Anyone notice their A/C compressor is LOUD when it engages? Mine has an audible THUNK when it cycles.

yeah definitely noticed that on my '99.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

Previa_fun posted:

Mine made a THUNK when it landed in the trash can. :haw:

The whole system weighed 42 pounds on my '90.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I've never noticed a noise in my 99 when I turn the A/C on, I'll pay attention next time I drive it.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Blackdawgg posted:

Stay away if you have to do a lot of highway trips. Cruising at 4000+ for a few hours really gets annoying. I do sometimes get tired of having to wring it out stop light to stop light to keep up with traffic.

Done a number of three and four hour trips in my 6-speed NC. Can't relate to either one of those complaints. But then, I'm coming from a lifted Jeep TJ so...

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I have to agree that long trips are a chore. The gearing is too short, the seats aren't great for comfort and there's not a lot of room to move your legs around and stretch out while you're moving.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I took apart the door... definitely power getting to the motor. Can hear it humming a little bit, stops humming when I disconnect it. Enhhhh assuming it's just dead, ordered new parts. Just like the saying goes, MAZDA: 'Motor Activates Zilch, Dude. Awww'.

If I took out the motor and the regulator, could I even keep the window up without them in the door? I'm guessing it will just like fall right down when I hit bumps? Anyone happen to know?

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

dema posted:

Done a number of three and four hour trips in my 6-speed NC. Can't relate to either one of those complaints. But then, I'm coming from a lifted Jeep TJ so...

I came from owning a long line of German vehicles. I was used to comfy cruising and effortless highway power. I still love my miata to death but I'm considering augmenting my garage with a Mercedes 190E for times I really don't feel like shifting, hooning, or having my back broken.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Long highway trips are kind of a chore, especially the portions with traffic. That said I've made a few "out of town" 2-3 hour drives with no trouble at all. If you insist at cruising at 80/over 4krpm your gas mileage falls to poo poo though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Ok so my GF's miata just started making a funny sound. The tranmission is making a werring sound. It cant be felt in the shifter. The sound and vibration are only present when the clutch is disengaged. It isnt related to engine RPM. Would this be a pilot bearing or something worse?
NB miata 2001 with 90k miles, 6 speed and torsion LSD.
Heres a video for reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VPhAuI9_po

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Just got a new Robbins top installed, and it is GLORIOUS. So new in its newness that I want to get a bunch of other poo poo fixed too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sadi posted:

Ok so my GF's miata just started making a funny sound. The tranmission is making a werring sound. It cant be felt in the shifter. The sound and vibration are only present when the clutch is disengaged. It isnt related to engine RPM. Would this be a pilot bearing or something worse?
NB miata 2001 with 90k miles, 6 speed and torsion LSD.
Heres a video for reference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VPhAuI9_po

Throwout/pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

w00t track day on Friday :)

Gonna be a little cramped for the 4 hour drive.. each way

aventari fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 2, 2011