Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Xandu posted:

Would you bring your family to a protest against the government if you knew that was going to happen to your child?

No. I would be bringing whatever guns and homemade bombs I can get my hands on to the protest instead. Actions like that are a good way to speed up the trip to full on civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Isn't Yemen the society with the most firearms per person after the US?

poo poo could get real nasty real quick. Already is, I spose.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

automatic posted:

It's either Yemen or my sweet home Neutralistan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_gun_ownership

PS: the Swiss technically don't own their rifles - they're just borrowed from the government.

Warthog fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 30, 2011

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've heard that Yemen also has significantly more firepower, due to the fact that fully automatic weapons are relatively uncommon in the US and....not so uncommon in Yemen.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

automatic posted:

poo poo could get real nasty real quick. Already is, I spose.

If this continues, they could very well surpass USA as army depots get looted.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

May 30th Live Blogs
Guardian
LibyaFeb17

Fighting

quote:

Additional commentary by FunGuerillaz:

In the last couple of days, there was some discussion on whether my map was correct regarding the Dafniya frontline. I always pointed out my maps were not an exact representation of the truth but rather sketches. Also, I pointed out that ‘front lines’ are not really lines but zones 5 to 10 km wide.

Taking this into consideration, I have pointed out todays video evidence of fighting in the open terrain AROUND rather than IN Tawergah to demonstrate that my map was or is relatively precise.

Today I got a hint that this is also the case for Dafniya; In this AJE report the reporter mentioned the front being 35 km from Misrata and 8 km from Zliten, which (calculating from the city centers) leaves a gap of about 8 km. Of course this gap depends on whether you count from the city centres or city limits, but 8 km is coincidentially also the distance bridged by one of the most used weapons, the anti aircraft guns. If you take this in account, the outer limit of the front zone Is indeed just at the city limit of Zliten near Suq Althulata. All of this explains why Dafniya, Suq Althulata (and less often Naima) are all mentioned in battle reports, and it shows that my map is generally correct

BTW: Suq Al Thulatha is not labeled on the map but would be smack dab where the green and red lines meet the Desert Road on my map. So it is important to note that the often used labels ‘Dafniya’ & ‘Tawerga’ do NOT designate the respective villages but rather the wider AREA respectively front sectors AROUND it. For reference: this is the mentioned video labeled ‘Tawergah’ but showing fighting in the open area AROUND Tawergah. I hope I could remove some confusion with these explanatory remarks.

quote:

Fierce clashes between Misrata freedom fighters and Gaddafi forces in Tawargha. At 5:10, a freedom fighter is seen talking with a group of elders from the city of Tawargha. The freedom fighter tells them that “no one will lay a finger on you. We are not against Tawargha, we are against the ones with guns. Tell your sons to give up peacefully and surrender. Please go and solve this problem, we do not want to hurt any civilians. We have people fighting on our side from Tawargha. I never said Tawargha was useless. And you’ll never hear that from me. Please go inside Tawargha and tell them to surrender.

*Incoming Missile* You see! They are hitting from there and from inside the city. Tell them to surrender peacefully. I swear to God there is over 100 cars coming in the direction of Tawargha. And the whole army is here. Please, go solve this problem. Somebody give him a car.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IjCkOO0tLo

Talking

quote:

The South African president, Jacob Zuma is expected to arrive in Tripoli today with other Africa Union leaders for what is being seen as a last-ditch attempt to broker a diplomatic end to the fighting in Libya. Zuma will meet Muammar Gaddafi ahead of an expected escalation of the conflict this week when British and French attack helicopters join the fray.

quote:

The South African president will raise the death of photojournalist Anton Hammerl's death during Zuma's visit to Tripoli for talks Gaddafi, South African news organisation the Mail and Guardian reports, citing the South African Broadcasting Corporation reported.

Hammerl, who had joint South African and Austrian citizenship, was killed during an incident in which three other journalists were captured, it was revealed 10 days ago.

Hammerl's has urged to help locate the photographer's remains and have them returned home.

Zuma said:

quote:

[The issue of Hammerl's death] is going to arise. Firstly, because we hear that the journalist in fact died and was never arrested. That brings the question why we were told information which was not accurate ...

We are hoping we will be able to discover something for the family.

quote:

As the African Union delegation is due in Tripoli to try to broker a ceasefire, Nato's secretary-general Anders Fogh Rasmussen has said the military campaign in Libya is achieving its objectives and pressure will be kept up until all attacks on civilians have stopped.

There is no indication as to whether Rasmussen was asked about Zuma's diplomatic mission.

Speaking at a Nato forum in Bulgaria, Rasmussen said:

quote:

Our operation in Libya...is achieving its objectives. And we are preventing Gaddafi from achieving his ...

Gaddafi's reign of terror is coming to an end ...Even those closest to him are departing, defecting or deserting ...it is time for Gaddafi to go as well

It is not clear whether the Nato head was asked about the African Union mission but he said the crisis could not be solved through military means alone:

quote:

If we are to see genuine peace in the country, then a political solution will need to be found one that responds to the legitimate aspirations of the Libyan people.
If negoiations fail then NATO will almost certaintly respond in a very forceful manner.

In Yemen:

quote:

Hundreds of soldiers loyal to Yemen's embattled president Ali Abdullah Saleh have stormed a protest camp in the southern city of Taiz killing at least 20 people, according to medical official and witnesses. Witnesses said that troops fired on the crowds indiscriminately, AP reports. The city of Taiz has been a hotbed of anti-government protests since crowds began calling for Saleh to stand down in early February.

Security forces first tried to clear the square in Taiz with water cannons, tear gas and sound bombs, sending thousands rushing for shelter. Forces from the Republican Guard, which is commanded by one of Saleh's sons, then moved in before dawn with tanks and bulldozers, said Sadek al-Shugaa, head of a field hospital at the protest camp.

Republican Guard soldiers along with security forces and armed men in civilian clothes attacked the protesters. Some set fire to dozens of tents used by the protesters, and bulldozers ran over hundreds of other tents without checking whether any protesters were still inside, two witnesses said.

One of them, Mohammed al-Zarafi, said he saw tents being set on fire while injured protesters were still inside. The other witness, protester Boushra al-Maqtali, called the attack "a real massacre." She said:

quote:

The square and the (field) hospital are in ruins. The tanks took the place of hundreds of tents that were set up there. The artillery units are occupying the whole space to make it impossible for the youth to return to the square.

Troops also attacked the Majeedi Hotel overlooking the square, where journalists were detained, al-Shugaa said. Then snipers took over the top of the building to shoot at protesters. Al-Shaga said "most of the injuries are critical in the head, chest and neck."
He said several dozen of the injured were dragged away by security forces and vanished.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zuma has landed in Tripoli:

quote:

Reuters reports the arrival of the South African president in Tripoli:

quote:

Zuma walked down the red carpet at Tripoli's airport to meet assembled dignitaries to the sound of a band and children chanting "We want Gaddafi!" in English, while waving Libyan flags and pictures of the leader. There was no sign of Gaddafi.

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010
When responding to my posts please keep in mind you are dealing with a mind that has yet master the art of the paragraph
Why does the west want Gaddafi gone?

quote:

Gaddafi offers oil and power to people
Philip Pank in Tripoli
Forty years into the revolution he unleashed on Libya Muammar Gaddafi has announced plans to dismantle the Government, hand the riches from Africa's biggest oil reserves to the people and nationalise foreign oil operations that have recently been allowed back into the country.

“The administration has failed and the state economy has failed. Enough is enough. The solution is, we Libyans take directly the oil money and decide what to do with the money,” he says.

To end the corruption that has sapped the vast oil wealth, bundles of cash should be delivered to the poor, three quarters of the ministries should cease to exist and the workers should run hospitals and schools.

The announcement has left diplomats and the 40 overseas oil companies operating in the country on edge.

RELATED LINKS
Gadaffi accuser fears for his brother
Eat, drink and be wary, Blair, when Gadaffi is host
Colonel Gaddafi, once derided as a “Mad Dog”, is basking in a new-found friendship with the West but anything is possible in a land that reflects the quixotic nature of its leader.

Across the country, from the smallest desert oasis to campuses and state companies, thousands of people are taking up his proposals at official public gatherings. Never before have the annual Libya's Basic People Congresses - in effect the country's top executive and legislative bodies - been invited to consider such reform.

“Libyans, this is your historic opportunity to take your oil wealth, power and full freedom,” Colonel Gaddafi said on the eve of the five-day round of meetings.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do you take everything CQ says at face value?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

automatic posted:

Do you take everything CQ says at face value?

Does anyone really take anything he says at any value?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's meaningless anyway, as Gaddafi has lost half of the oilfields, foreign workers have left the country and nobody is going to give a dime to Gaddafi even if he could export oil. He has no oil money to give to the people anymore. Maybe he should have made those offers a few months earlier? :q:

Meanwhile, BBC's Andrew North comments:

quote:

One of Col Gaddafi's advisers admits the South African president's visit may be their last chance of a diplomatic way out, but says there's no possibility of the man they call the Brother Leader stepping aside - as both Nato and the rebels are demanding.

There is support for the alliance, though, on the streets of Tripoli, even as life gets tougher. Petrol shortages are now so severe that people report queuing for up to five days.

No-one likes being bombed, said one resident and anti-Gaddafi campaigner, but we need Nato to get rid of him.

But his opponents are still too scared to protest openly in Tripoli.

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010
When responding to my posts please keep in mind you are dealing with a mind that has yet master the art of the paragraph
Read the article.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article5776215.ece
The Sunday Times.
Gaddafi offers oil and power to people

The announcement has left diplomats and the 40 overseas oil companies operating in the country on edge.

You can be sure greed and oil were behind the western imperialists decisions to forment demonstrations.
They've been doing it since 1953 in Iran.
The rioters would have been dealt with and Libya would again be a stable country. With the highest standard of living in Africa, and less poverty than many western countries.
Only a small percentage of Libyan's supported the rebels, and the rebellion has only lasted this long because of western interference.
It's time NATO stopped killing Libyan's.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

His idleness posted:

You can be sure greed and oil were behind the western imperialists decisions to forment demonstrations.

In which way has the war improved the lot of western imperialists? The oil companies that had lucrative deals with Gaddafi are now unable to make profit. No one is getting any oil from Libya. Meanwhile there is uncertainty about the future and whether the new government will respect old contracts. I'm sure you can explain what makes this situation better for western imperialists than status quo?

And since you say 'you can be sure', I suppose you also have clear evidence showing this, rather than mere speculation? Thank you!

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010

Nenonen posted:

It's meaningless anyway, as Gaddafi has lost half of the oilfields, foreign workers have left the country and nobody is going to give a dime to Gaddafi even if he could export oil. He has no oil money to give to the people anymore. Maybe he should have made those offers a few months earlier? :q:

Meanwhile, BBC's Andrew North comments:
The article was from 2009.
This is why the oil companies used the British and French secret service to start a rebellion.
This is why the leaders of the rebellion are being paid vast sums to take over Libya.
By western governments and their masters the oil companies and international bankers.
The exact same tactics were used to oust Mossadegh in 1953 in Iran, and what was he replaced with, a megalomaniac with the most brutal secret police in the middle east.
Look at the trouble western imperialism caused for Iran and it's people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'%C3%A9tat
The same is happening to Libya.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

His idleness posted:

The rioters would have been dealt with

You're horrible. Just glance over the last page of this thread and see how exactly these dictators "deal with" rioters.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
So the West created the uprising in order to get Libya's oil? You know, the oil which Gaddafi was already giving to them? :psyduck:

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

His idleness posted:

This is why the oil companies used the British and French secret service to start a rebellion.
This is why the leaders of the rebellion are being paid vast sums to take over Libya.
By western governments and their masters the oil companies and international bankers.
The exact same tactics were used to oust Mossadegh in 1953 in Iran, and what was he replaced with, a megalomaniac with the most brutal secret police in the middle east.
Look at the trouble western imperialism caused for Iran and it's people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'%C3%A9tat
The same is happening to Libya.

So uh...other than Mossadegh 58 years ago do you have any solid proof that "oil companies, the British and French secret services and international bankers" are in cahoots to bring down the majority supported dictator Qadaffi?

How about any legitimate polling that says that most people want to live under him?

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Finlander posted:

Does anyone really take anything he says at any value?

Apparently his idleness does.

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010

Ballz posted:

You're horrible. Just glance over the last page of this thread and see how exactly these dictators "deal with" rioters.
There'd have been a couple of dozen deaths.
You try and burn the Whitehouse down and see how long you survive for.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

His idleness posted:

Ah, I missed that. So, did Gaddafi actually follow his words?

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

His idleness posted:

Hahahha. Ok I guess you're just trolling.

Widespread protests against a long standing dictator with no problem using violence for 41 years= a couple dozen deaths.

Alright.

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010
There's too many people believe the lies from the western media, embedded with the rebels, that are killing civilians that oppose them.
This is about oil and western imperialism.
Not protecting the Libyan people.
You must be stupid if you believe it is.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

His idleness posted:

Um, what? A couple of dozen deaths? And you're trying to say that western democracies are just as brutal as these regimes by comparing an act of outright terrorism to simple protesting?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

His idleness posted:

There's too many people believe the lies from the western media, embedded with the rebels, that are killing civilians that oppose them.
This is about oil and western imperialism.
Not protecting the Libyan people.
You must be stupid if you believe it is.

We'd really appreciate it if you bothered to actually back up your claims instead of making vague comments about imperialism and expecting us to take Gaddafi's words at face value.

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010

automatic posted:

Hahahha. Ok I guess you're just trolling.

Widespread protests against a long standing dictator with no problem using violence for 41 years= a couple dozen deaths.

Alright.
Where have you been since 2000?
It's still the oil stupid.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

Um, what? A couple of dozen deaths? And you're trying to say that western democracies are just as brutal as these regimes by comparing an act of outright terrorism to simple protesting?

Don't you remember that time when a million black men tried to march to Washington D.C. and the national guards just gunned them all down? Potomac ran red :911:

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

His idleness posted:

Oh ok. Don't provide any facts, or proof or anything like that.

1. Back up your claims that the rebels are killing civilians in any appreciable number

2. Please provide proof for oil company involvement

3. Please provide proof of international bankers being involved

4. Please provide proof that the insurrection was started by the west

If you can't, please shut the gently caress up.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

His idleness posted:

Yes, and we have challenged you repeatedly to explain how this war benefits the participating western nations with regards to oil in particular. You have been completely unable to do so.

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010

Crameltonian posted:

We'd really appreciate it if you bothered to actually back up your claims instead of making vague comments about imperialism and expecting us to take Gaddafi's words at face value.
You seem to be taking your governments word at face value.
What do you know about Libya, did you know the US has a higher level of poverty.
Do you know they have free universities, hospitals, subsidised food and housing.
This is about money.
Don't you know there's hundreds of billions held in western banks, Gaddafi was going to give much of this money to the people, because the Libyan government were corrupt.
Putin is again the only politician that sees this as a grab for oil.
The rebels want control of the oil and money for themselves.
Not to help the Libyan people.

Wsobchak
Mar 28, 2011

by elpintogrande

Nenonen posted:

Don't you remember that time when a million black men tried to march to Washington D.C. and the national guards just gunned them all down? Potomac ran red :911:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army#U.S._Army_intervention

Wikipedia posted:

The Bonus Army was the popular name of an assemblage of some 43,000 marchers—17,000 World War I veterans, their families, and affiliated groups—who gathered in Washington, D.C., in the spring and summer of 1932 to demand immediate cash-payment redemption of their service certificates. Its organizers called it the Bonus Expeditionary Force to echo the name of World War I's American Expeditionary Force, while the media called it the Bonus March. It was led by Walter W. Waters, a former Army sergeant.

<...>

On July 28, U.S. Attorney General William D. Mitchell ordered the veterans removed from all government property. Washington police met with resistance, shots were fired and two veterans were wounded and later died. President Herbert Hoover then ordered the army to clear the veterans' campsite. Army Chief of Staff General Douglas MacArthur commanded the infantry and cavalry supported by six tanks. The Bonus Army marchers with their wives and children were driven out, and their shelters and belongings burned.

Four died, over a thousand injured. Nothing compared to Libya in terms of magnitude, but still

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010

ChaosSamusX posted:

Yes, and we have challenged you repeatedly to explain how this war benefits the participating western nations with regards to oil in particular. You have been completely unable to do so.
Are you stupid.
How has the destruction of Iraq benefited the western nations?
I hasn't, it's benefited the western oil companies immensely though.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
4 people died 87 years ago, what's your point?

The bonus army was pretty drat close to an insurrection as well. It is a testament to the political system that more weren't killed....especially in the 20s.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

His idleness posted:

What do you know about Libya, did you know the US has a higher level of poverty.
Do you know they have free universities, hospitals, subsidised food and housing.
This is about money.
Don't you know there's hundreds of billions held in western banks, Gaddafi was going to give much of this money to the people, because the Libyan government were corrupt.

That's a lot of bold assertions and not a lot of evidence. Are you able to support your claims in any way or are you planning to just scream about imperialism and oil until your theories magically come true?

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

His idleness posted:

Are you stupid.
How has the destruction of Iraq benefited the western nations?
I hasn't, it's benefited the western oil companies immensely though.

You seem.
To have a learning.
Disability.
or maybe a problem with.
reading comprehension

Instead of bringing up recent historical events please address this

quote:

1. Back up your claims that the rebels are killing civilians in any appreciable number

2. Please provide proof for oil company involvement

3. Please provide proof of international bankers being involved

4. Please provide proof that the insurrection was started by the west

Did the west also start the protests in neighboring Tunisia? Syria? Yemen?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

His idleness posted:

Yes, this is normal. Dictators all over the world collect billions into their personal Swiss bank accounts because they want to give them to their people but don't trust their own government. Too bad that they couldn't just give all of that money to their people in the first place or change the government. But it's understandable, Gaddafi has only been in power for several decades so he just hasn't had the time to share his money.

quote:

I agree. The people rebelling want the control of the oil and money for themselves, ie. the people, not for the people, ie. themselves.

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Yes, this is normal. Dictators all over the world collect billions into their personal Swiss bank accounts because they want to give them to their people but don't trust their own government. Too bad that they couldn't just give all of that money to their people in the first place or change the government. But it's understandable, Gaddafi has only been in power for several decades so he just hasn't had the time to share his money.

I agree. The people rebelling want the control of the oil and money for themselves, ie. the people, not for the people, ie. themselves.
the vast majority of Libyans want no part of the rebellion.
You are so nieve if you think this isn't about personal gain for the rebel leaders.
The Brits had to go in and find figureheads for the western media because it started as a few hgundred demonstrators.
Once they were offered money they came out of the woodwork.
Still asking for money, to pay the Al Qaeda fighters from Afghanistan and Somalia.
Mecenaries.

His idleness fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 30, 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Wsobchak posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army#U.S._Army_intervention

Four died, over a thousand injured. Nothing compared to Libya in terms of magnitude, but still

Yes, but it's a bit different than just protesting, though - the court told them to :getout: from the barrack village that they had built without permission, after more than a month had passed, then they resisted police officers trying to evict them. Just imagine if Libyans could have protested for six weeks outside Gaddafi's home without the army or police intervening.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

His idleness posted:

This is about money.

I know this is GBS, but every time I hear about how great dictatorships are because of all the free healthcare, schooling, and everything else, it's usually followed by ACTUAL FACTS rather than posts that have no links or firsthand information.

And really? A country that is 5 times larger has a higher level of poverty?

DO TELL...

His idleness
Apr 17, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Yes, but it's a bit different than just protesting, though - the court told them to :getout: from the barrack village that they had built without permission, after more than a month had passed, then they resisted police officers trying to evict them. Just imagine if Libyans could have protested for six weeks outside Gaddafi's home without the army or police intervening.
They didn't though, they burned down the capitol building, Libya's Whitehouse.
If the protesters in Washington had done that, thousands would have been killed.
As it was thousands were injured in a peaceful protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

His idleness posted:

the vast majority of Libyans want no part of the rebellion.
You are so nieve if you think this isn't about personal gain for the rebel leaders.
The Brits had to go in and find figureheads for the western media because it started as a few hgundred demonstrators.
Once they were offered money they came out of the woodwork.
Still asking for money, to pay the Al Qaeda fighters from Afghanistan and Somalia.
Mecenaries.

All that evidence that you have layed out on the table is compelling and I don't think anyone here seriously doubts any of your words. Truly, your wisdom has reversed our opinions 180º.

Now, can we get back to reporting how the King of the Kings and Dear Brother Colonel Gaddafi is getting his rear end kicked by corrupt sycophants of western oil companies?

• Locked thread