Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The saddest part of Hajime no Ippo for me is how Ippo's mom, who worked so hard to take care of him, won't go to his fights because she doesn't want to see him get hit and yet Ippo does nothing to avoid being a punching bag for his opponents because he's too hard-headed and only knows one way to box. She'll never see him in the ring :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
She could've gone to the fight right before Takamura's world title match, iirc Ippo just Dempsey rolled up on him and ended it without taking any damage.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He beat Sendo very early in both of their pro careers so it doesn't mean much when one of them is fighting against other top competitors and the other is fighting Japanese cans. Miyata and Ippo never officially fought so their sparring session at the beginning of the manga wouldn't count towards either of their records or ranking.

Well obviously I know that but the fact of the matter is, he's clearly loving ready to give up the title defenses for the umpteenth time. Moving on to 'the world' would only realistically pit him against like 5 new competitors because in HnI barely anyone moves weight classes like, ever it seems

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

tbp posted:

Well obviously I know that but the fact of the matter is, he's clearly loving ready to give up the title defenses for the umpteenth time. Moving on to 'the world' would only realistically pit him against like 5 new competitors because in HnI barely anyone moves weight classes like, ever it seems

Moving on to 'the world' would require Morikawa to actually move the plot.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

Moving on to 'the world' would require Morikawa to actually move the plot.

Its just nonsense. Like honestly the man cannot enjoy writing this anymore why not move it on

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The saddest part of Hajime no Ippo for me is how Ippo's mom, who worked so hard to take care of him, won't go to his fights because she doesn't want to see him get hit and yet Ippo does nothing to avoid being a punching bag for his opponents because he's too hard-headed and only knows one way to box. She'll never see him in the ring :smith:

If it wasn't for Morikawa repeatedly making everyone say "Wow, he's an amazing boxer" you could just say he's an amazingly bad boxer.

He er

Yeah!

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Do you guys have any actual favorite parts of the manga, from way back before this bullshit?

The scene where Takamura punched out that bear always sticks out in my mind as one of the best moments for him. Especially when he went into the ring in his next fight wearing the bear skin with the giant claw scars on his chest. It's exactly the kind of poo poo he would be bragging about. I'm surprised he hasn't really mentioned it since.

There was one scene like 700 chapters ago when Ippo called Kumi at home to try to invite her out, and Ryu was there, trying to find out who she was talking to. She wouldn't give up the phone, so in the next panel, he drops into his hitman stance and it looks like he takes a swing at her, but he just uses the motion to snatch the phone out of her hand. I bust out laughing that that scene when I first read it, but I haven't ever tried to look for it again.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I liked both Takamura championship fights, but a moment that's not probably as popular for others is when Vorg stayed with Ippo and trained at Kamogawa's Gym for a while. I've always liked Vorg, and he had to deal with losing that fight to Sendo in a really close (and perhaps wrong) decision, had to go back to Russia, lost his mom... the guy's been through a lot.

And I guess that Broccoli-Man poo poo with Aoki. Pretty much anytime Takamura fucks with people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I liked when Ippo trained by driving logs into an embankment with a sledgehammer. I have no idea if that would actually be useful for training, but it was pretty neat.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Highest Cactus posted:

Do you guys have any actual favorite parts of the manga, from way back before this bullshit?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I think the best part of Ippo will always been when he used the Dempsey roll to get the Japanese Title.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot all about the Kamogawa arc. That was pretty awesome. I really hope it gets animated at some point.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

This and the Bryan Hawk fight are probably the best.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite part of the manga was Ippo tricking Sawaura with the dempsey and putting his fist through his skull.

The Hawk fight is second place.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

This and the Bryan Hawk fight are probably the best.

Honestly though the first volume up to the spar with Miyata still gets me incredibly pumped for boxing.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The Hawk fight is one of my favorite storylines in any medium. It's written pretty much perfectly.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
This page is like looking through the old family photo album and aww look how cute the dog was when we got him now his bladder doesn't work too well and he has that skin condition and we're probably going to have to put him out of his misery one of these days :smith:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Rei_ posted:

They've been telling us that he's going to get punched in the face for HOW many months? I mean jesus christ this was the most telegraphed punch in the history of the universe.

Pretty sure we've known about this poo poo since Sanada's fight. Not to mention Vorg actually loving did it to him once, only he didn't even throw the punch, he just sort of let Ippo ram himself into it. Admittedly, that was the Dempsey Roll specifically but his rush-duck-PUNCH pattern is virtually the same thing.

And what the gently caress ever happened to his super-duper NEW Dempsey Roll? The one where he keeps his momentum without needing the figure-eight weave? They spent like five chapters talking about how it was evolving, but that was god only knows how long ago and then it just sort of disappeared. Probably because the Woli fight was coma-inducing, but still.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just change the manga so its about Vorg or Sendo and whoever is picked make the other their rival. Might help things.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

Pretty sure we've known about this poo poo since Sanada's fight. Not to mention Vorg actually loving did it to him once, only he didn't even throw the punch, he just sort of let Ippo ram himself into it. Admittedly, that was the Dempsey Roll specifically but his rush-duck-PUNCH pattern is virtually the same thing.

And what the gently caress ever happened to his super-duper NEW Dempsey Roll? The one where he keeps his momentum without needing the figure-eight weave? They spent like five chapters talking about how it was evolving, but that was god only knows how long ago and then it just sort of disappeared. Probably because the Woli fight was coma-inducing, but still.

I figure Mashima couldn't figure out a decent upgrade and spent some time being vague before dropping the idea entirely. Alternately, he has a specific opponent in mind for Ippo to use it on, but that would mean he has a halfway decent story idea but keeps delaying it for years of filler.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009
http://somemanga.com/manga/Hajime_no_Ippo/938/

Really ... at least the neck twist would have been clever, actually now I think Ippo is probably like a stegosaurus and has a second brain in his crotch which kicks in when he's countered.

Alkaiser fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 4, 2011

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Obviously, he was able to survive that counter because his brain works on a fishing boat and has excellent balance :downs: Seriously though, what a loving cop-out.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
THERE IS NO TENSION IF YOUR MAIN CHARACTER IS INVINCIBLE

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

As poor as the action has been, I'll admit, I'm kinda excited that stuff is actually happening. Sure, it' retarded that he pretty much shrugged that hit off, but now we've covered Takamura premonition and advice, so this could be a one hit K.O to end the match.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

He's going Bleach mode, sucks to read week by week, awesome to read when you have 10 volumes in a row.

Yeah, that's what i'll tell myself :smith:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

tazman posted:

THERE IS NO TENSION IF YOUR MAIN CHARACTER IS INVINCIBLE

I think at this point this manga is more fun if you imagine what will happen instead of the canned BURNING SPIRIT crap, like Ippo stands back up, throws this monster punch and Hisato just counters him again.

And then you get depressed the next week.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
This is just loving stupid now.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
How much water can two people possibly sweat in a ten-second exchange?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

McNerd posted:

How much water can two people possibly sweat in a ten-second exchange?
There were staring at each other REALLY INTENSELY FOR ONE AND A HALF MINUTE :stare: :shepface:

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Ippo has a HUGE D*NG

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is so loving boring. If a perfect counter (in a manga were counters are the most powerful technique) done by a guy who is supposed to be 2 divisions higher can not even make Ippo fall down then what's the point?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Ippo just really loves boxing

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Maybe from the point of this punch onwards, it will be like Dallas Season 8. He will wake up in a few hundred chapters and realise it was all a coma dream.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

trucutru posted:

This is so loving boring. If a perfect counter (in a manga were counters are the most powerful technique) done by a guy who is supposed to be 2 divisions higher can not even make Ippo fall down then what's the point?
It's a little stupid but I do think it would've been stronger if he hadn't flinched.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

If challengers aren't just bringing guns to the matches at this point what the hell is the point of any of this?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

What are your favorite funny chapters? I re-read the one where they go to the beach, and Takamura feels up Tomiko and then gets dragged into the sea. That was unreasonably funny

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So we're up to like...1 punch every 2 chapters or so?

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Fabricated posted:

So we're up to like...1 punch every 2 chapters or so?

Morikawa has just been storing his power for a huge explosion of plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Kweh posted:

Ippo has a HUGE D*NG

This is it! This is the secret! Not drawn was Ippo's HUGE, MASSIVE PENIS becoming erect as he fell and propping him up! You can't knock out a tripod!

This loving manga...