Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

To continue on with Nenone's statement, those Tigers can withstand 23mm cannon fire, which is likely the only thing that can probably effectively brought to bear against them. It would make sense if they're being used for close combat against infantry formations and structures while the Gazelles snipe at armor. MANPADs could as well, but the thing was designed around them, with a reduced radar and thermal signature and a chaff/flare dispenser, and anything more capable and longer range would incur the wrath of NATO's fixed-wing assets, if it hasn't been blown up already.

That, and at night, they're practically invisible, so AA guns being blind-fired is a bigger threat than shoulder-fired missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Live Blogs June 4th
LibyaFeb17.com
Feb17.info

quote:

LibyaFTW tweets: “Tripoli is alive tonight shooting can be heard everywhere without interuption these are Gaddafi last days.”

quote:

NATO employed attack helicopters to hit targets in Libya for the first time on Saturday, an alliance statement said. “The targets struck included military vehicles, military equipment and fielded forces,” the statement said, without giving details of the location of the strikes. Two targets were hit and an armoured vehicle at a checkpoint, a Sky correspondent on HMS Ocean reported. The NATO statement said the use of attack helicopters provided increased flexibility to track and attack pro-Gaddafi forces attempting to hide in populated areas.

quote:

Apache helicopters, flying from the HMS Ocean, successfully targeted a military radar installation and a checkpoint around Brega using Hellfire missiles and its 30mm cannon. In the same area, Royal Air Force ground attack aircraft destroyed another military installation, whilst a separate RAF mission successfully attacked two ammunition bunkers at the large Waddan depot in central Libya

quote:

French Apache helicopters also participated in last night’s strike and hit a dozen military vehicles, including two armed pickup trucks. A spokesman said several helicopters had to respond to small arms fire from the ground, but managed to remain unharmed.

quote:

A Russian presidential envoy for Africa, Mikhail Margelov, said he would go to Libya’s Benghazi on June 6 for talks with the Libyan opposition.

At a Group of Eight (G8) meeting in France last week, President Dmitry Medvedev said he expected Margelov, who also heads the foreign relations committee of the Russian upper house, to meet both with the Libyan opposition and authorities during his visit.

“We value relations with Libya and the Libyan people,” Margelov said. “The Russian president firmly supports sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of Libya.”

Speaking after the G8 summit of seven European countries and Russia in Deauville on May 27, Medvedev said Muammar Gaddafi’s regime had lost its legitimacy and the Libyan leader must leave his post.

Medvedev said Russia would not grant asylum to Gaddafi adding that the international community no longer considered him the Libyan leader.

quote:

Japan has frozen $4.4bn of assets belonging to Gaddafi and his inner circle.

quote:

On June 3rd, NATO aircraft flew 144 sorties, including 56 strike sorties. Some of the key targets included:
In the vicinity of Hun: 1 Ammunition Storage Facility.
In the vicinity of Qaryat: 1 Ammunition Storage Facility.
In Brega: 1 Command & Control Node.
In the vicinity of Brega: 2 Command & Control Nodes, 1 Military Camp comprising 14 Vehicles, 2 Shelters and 12 Tents.

quote:

In Misrata, rebel leader Abdelsalam reported fighting in Dafniyah to the west of the city that is now in rebel hands.

He said revolutionaries in Zlitan had been supplied with weapons and telecommunications equipment from Misrata and Benghazi, and had been waging attacks at night, “but not on the scale that threatens Gaddafi’s forces’ iron grip on Zlitan”.

Zlitan is the next town to the west of Misrata, and one of only three between there and Tripoli. A rebel spokesman there, Mabrouk, said security in the town was tight.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Caro just posted this on GiP:

Kevin Dawes posted:

I'm still alive. Made it to Misrata. Doing good. Check the youtube station. Permaban me if you want. The videos have to get out.

My procedure is good. I actually practiced before leaving san diego. I made it to misrata on a fishing boat loaded so full of munitions that it almost loving sank in a storm.

We ignored the NATO blockade. Scary loving radio challenges. There is video of a frigate cruising up to us and glassing our deck. We had a ZSU and a twin 12.5 MM towed gun of some kind (to match the cargo hold full of 12. MM ammo) on our deck.

For some reason the frigade frigate decided not to blow us out of the water with its italian made autocannon.

Videos going to youtube. Oh, and that surgery? I performed it under some watchful eyes. The benghazi hospital is in the same building. I'm medic qualified. Treated two cases of dehydration on the boat. While the frigate was sniffing us. And the boat was pitching. I challenge your best corpsman to a stick-off, but only after I get back to San Diego alive.

Watch the videos. They are more important than you realize. Uploading now. Satellite internet here is slow.

The fishing boat was making about 7 knots on a heading of 271 when the frigate arrived.

edit:
I want you to remember that the rebels would get instantly crushed by Quidaffi if those arms didn't get through. We left from the benghazi naval base. Think hard.

All uploads done in a few hours. All marines to Tripoli. We're taking the beach.

Understand me now. I'm linking to a picture I took on the boat. This kid.. I went to gradeschool and middleschool and highschool with this kid. His name is gugan. I need to get him back to his wife, Kathy Dasovich, in San Diego. They don't know each other are alive. They got separated in Africa.

I am not loving leaving anybody behind. I last saw him on the docks of Misrata leaving with a team of fighters. He had an AK-47. He doesn't know how to fight. When he tried to qualify with this crazy rear end lewis-gun that fired 7.62x54r on the boat he nearly decapitated two crewmembers. He's got some bad loving ideas in his head. I have to retrieve him (or maybe SEAL team six or something? Please?) from the engagement zone 40 km northwest of Misrata.

Proof of life follows. If you went to Lindbergh and have a yearbook you know what I say is true.

All of us secret squirrels are a little nuts. :) I have to bring my friends home.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108712992959448201830/AllGoodSouls?authkey=Gv1sRgCLKPs7PEz5bITQ#5614304041753682242

While in that wheelhouse we got painted by no fewer than two search radars and one aircraft targeting radar. You can hear it on the radio set. They use those frequencies because the boat aerials are fantastic reflectors.

It's time for ground troops and one SAR mission. Who has room on their dance card?

At some point he's going to get himself or someone else killed. At least he posted some slightly interesting first hand info.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Caro just posted this on GiP:

At some point he's going to get himself or someone else killed. At least he posted some slightly interesting first hand info.

Although he has coherency problems he is at least a productive nutter. Kind of reminds me of the foreigners going to fight in the Spanish revolution, except just to watch and perform amateur surgery on people.

I do wonder about the frigate challenge though, I thought NATO would be ushering in stuff from Benghazi.

Ireland Sucks fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 4, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's probably to make sure it's not obviously Gaddafi troops trying to sneak in bombs or something.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Couple of updates:
An independence flag being painted on a Tripoli highway in the middle of the night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEwNWB9-jMU

quote:

Libya rebels helping alleged rape victim
Benghazi - Libyan rebels said on Saturday they are looking after the woman allegedly raped by soldiers loyal to Muammar Gaddafi and who fled to Qatar but was deported back to the north African country.

"We are protecting and helping (Iman al-Obaidi) ... She is a Libyan citizen," said Mustafa Abdel Jalil of the National Transitional Council in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi.

He said the council met Obeidi on Friday but was unaware of the reasons for her expulsion from Qatar, a decision which drew condemnation from the United States and the United Nations.

"We appreciate that she exposed the real face of Gaddafi's regime. She is free to travel in Libya as she pleases and we have no objection should she wish to seek asylum in another country," Jalil told reporters.

Vincent Cochetel, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees representative in Washington, said a Qatari military plane flew Obaidi to Benghazi on Thursday and that she was staying in a hotel of the eastern Libyan port city.

US State Department deputy spokesman Mark Toner on Friday said Obaidi had expressed "her fear of returning to Libya".

"There are people (in Libya) who have an interest in shutting her up... Her fear is well founded in our opinion," he added.

A Libyan rebel official told AFP last month that Obeidi had escaped from Libya to Qatar with the help of rebels.

Obeidi attracted international media attention when she stormed into the Rixos hotel on March 26, threw open her coat to reveal scars and bruises on her body to expose her ordeal.

But as she screamed: "Film me, film me, show the whole world all they did to me," she was dragged off by Libyan security guards amid scenes of mayhem as journalists were shoved aside in their effort to intervene.

Obeidi said she had been stopped at a Tripoli checkpoint because she was from Benghazi. "They tied me up and abused me for two days," she said.

quote:

Britain’s William Hague, the foreign secretary, and Andrew Mitchell, the secretary of state for international development, are visiting Benghazi, where they will meet National Transitional Council leaders including Abdul Jalil, the chairman.

In a statement released by the UK Foreign Office, Hague said before the visit:

We are here today for one principal reason – to show our support for the Libyan people and for the National Transitional Council, the legitimate representative of the Libyan people. We will discuss the situation on the ground and look forward to next week’s meeting of the Libya Contact Groupin Abu Dhabi.

Britain remains a strong and true friend of Libya. We could not and did not turn a blind eye when Qadhafi turned his forces against innocent civilians. For as long as Qadhafi continues to abuse his people, we will continue and intensify our efforts to stop him.

We are here together as part of a coordinated and strategic approach to Libya – ensuring that our military, diplomatic and development actions are aligned.

The UK is committed to this task. Colonel Qadhafi is isolated internationally and domestically. He has lost all legitimacy, continues to abuse human rights without mercy or compunction. He must go.

Andrew Mitchell, the development secretary, said:

Britain is playing a key role in helping the people of Libya who are suffering at the hands of Colonel Qaddafi. The support I am announcing today for the Mines Advisory Group (MAG) will clear areas of life-shattering mines, preventing the indiscriminate killing of many men, women and children.

We have already supported refugees on the borders, helped migrant workers to return home, and evacuated people from Misrata to protect them from the ongoing violence. Within Libya we have provided food and medical supplies. Today we are seeing our support in action, and hearing what else may be needed.

It is crucial to help meet immediate needs. But the future of Libya lies in the hands of the Libyan people. That is why we are here, to discuss with the NTC how they plan to bring peace, stability and economic development to their country.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
If the BBC reports are right the Yemeni President is alive but he probably wont be for long, he's got severe burns and shrapnel near his heart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13653884

quote:

Unconfirmed reports earlier said that Mr Saleh had flown to Saudi Arabia.

Mr Saleh had some shrapnel near his heart and second-degree burns on his chest and face, sources told the BBC.

The president aired an audio message on Friday saying he was well. But he has not appeared in public and there remains speculation over his condition.

If those injuries are true then I would imagine he has flown to Saudi as he is going to need some amazing surgeons to survive that and be in a fit state to do anything, never mind run a country.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well... at least he's out of the country.

That's good, right?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Depends who tries to take over and how.

I've seen various Tweets which suggests NATO and the Benghazi rebels are trying to convince the Gaddafi forces at Brega to surrender, apparently to the point of writing a hotline number on boulder in the desert to call if they decide to surrender. A few more nights of helicopter attacks and I think they'll really start to waver.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Apparently there's alot of bombing at the moment in Tripoli, at least 10 explosions in half an hour according to CNN, unusually early in the day as well.

AJA is also now claiming Saleh has gone to Saudi Arabia for treatment.

Also, a NATO Psyops radio message:
http://soundcloud.com/stefanazz/20110604-1412-10404-nato
They alternate between English and Arabic, this is just the English section.

[edit]Jenan Moussa just posted this :nws: :nms: video of a protester shot by a sniper in Hama, Syria, yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQR-QzJK44I&NR=1

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 4, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bit more on Saleh's condition:

quote:

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh has been left with shrapnel near his heart and second-degree burns to his chest and face after an attack on his palace, the BBC reported on Saturday.

Yemeni officials dismissed earlier reports on Arabiya TV that Saleh had left for neighbouring Saudi Arabia, where six other wounded officials have gone for medical treatment.

The BBC said it had been informed by "sources close to the president" that Saleh had a piece of shrapnel almost 7.6 cm long under his heart.

The sources added that it was unclear whether the Yemeni president would need surgery.

In an audio address on Friday, Saleh said he had suffered only minor wounds and blamed an "outlaw gang" for the attack. He has not appeared in public, raising speculation over the extent of his injuries.

Global powers have been pressing Saleh to sign a Gulf-brokered deal to end his 33-year rule. Leaving Yemen, even for medical care, could make it hard for Saleh to retain power.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

Someone just posted this on Twitter, it's a map of who controls which towns and cities:

A lot of those towns are really tiny, that's why there are so many.

Unconfirmed reports that Gayran, east of Yefren, has rebelled, with a bridgade having defected to the rebels.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
That's a 3-inch piece of shrapnel near his heart, and it's not clear whether he would need surgery? Is that code for "he might just die instead"?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mr. nazi posted:

That's a 3-inch piece of shrapnel near his heart, and it's not clear whether he would need surgery? Is that code for "he might just die instead"?

More likely it means that they aren't sure which is more likely to kill him, the shrapnel or the surgery.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

mr. nazi posted:

You know how pulling an arrow out of a wound can cause as much/more damage than the wound itself? Think along those lines, except the arrow in question is a massive slice of steel next to someone's heart.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Going into surgery NOW would likely mean that Saleh would be out of the picture for weeks - his government would have a zero chance of staying in power during that time. At a critical moment like this, when he's struggling for his own position, he'd rather just take antibiotics and go to surgery later, if at all possible. That's my take, anyway.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nenonen posted:

Going into surgery NOW would likely mean that Saleh would be out of the picture for weeks - his government would have a zero chance of staying in power during that time. At a critical moment like this, when he's struggling for his own position, he'd rather just take antibiotics and go to surgery later, if at all possible. That's my take, anyway.

One of the problems with being a tyrant is that anyone who could do your job while you recover from surgery could also do it after you are killed in a palace coup tragic accident. Most dictators don't keep a number two man around unless he's immediate family, and even that's risky.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ChaosSamusX posted:

You know how pulling an arrow out of a wound can cause as much/more damage than the wound itself? Think along those lines, except the arrow in question is a massive slice of steel next to someone's heart.

Maybe he can build a palladium arc reactor to power a magnet to keep the shrapnel from getting closer to his heart?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Nenonen posted:

You'd think that the foremost concern would be ensuring he lives to see tomorrow, not trying his best to hold on to power that's rapidly slipping from his grasp.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

You'd think that the foremost concern would be ensuring he lives to see tomorrow, not trying his best to hold on to power that's rapidly slipping from his grasp.

You'd think, but in that case he would have packed up before this even happened and would be living a happy life as a wealthy, healthy man somewhere in Not-Yemen. But when you have made it your career to be the President For Life, and have killed and tortured your opponents, it's kind of hard to tell yourself that there's no point in continuing. That, and the fear of what will happen to you and your family and your fortunes, a lot of which is still in the country, if you give up.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Al-Jazeera English is reporting that Saleh has left Yemen for medical attention in Saudi Arabia, and the Saudi government has negotiated a one-week ceasefire between tribal forces and Saleh's loyalists. Let's see how long this lasts.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Pureauthor posted:

If he has really already been shipped to Saudi Arabia his power is already gone. the number of autocrats who hold onto power while being out of the country for the revolution is vanishingly small.

Even if he stays in country his reign is pretty much already over, all that's left is the fighting.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Pureauthor posted:

This is not how dictators work. Both Mubarak and Gaddafi had plenty of opportunity to gently caress off with their billions and live the rest of their lives as kings anyway (you know, except without the literal servants). It seems that power really is the ultimate drug. From what I gather only Ben Ali had the proper state of mind to leave so far and even he could have left as soon as the heat came and have enough money to find his own loving dynasty.

Dictators are insane. That's mostly why they are dictators in the first place.

Namarrgon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 4, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

:nws: :nms:
Massacre on the rooftop of Karak Mosque in Syria
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYKUZFL5qVA
Jenan Moussa is currently Tweeting a translation:
http://twitter.com/#!/jenanmoussa

quote:

00:56 -01:01 one says referring 2 dead man:"this guy has Kohl in his eyes." Another says:"this animal". Som1 mentions word "cheese".
Man shooting greets soldiers: " Long live the guys" around minute 01:05 #
01:16 soldier speaks to dead man: " your father told you to surrender, right?"
2:06 one says, "here is the weapon, keep it so committee will make picture of it. (basically he puts bullets on dead man)
2:27 - on says " And here is the brain of this pig!" while zooming on blown up brain of one guy.
2:29 - 2:35 "Look at this dog, look! Look at the canned food"

It's honestly one of the worst videos I've seen from the last few months, especially with the translation.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That video seems to have been shot by a Syrian soldier. I'm very curious how it got out.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Xandu posted:

That video seems to have been shot by a Syrian soldier. I'm very curious how it got out.

You see another taking pictures/video with their phone. I'm guessing professionalism isn't the major army requirement in Syria. So the same way these things always leak; people do hosed up stuff and then tape it and post it somewhere.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

quote:

11:13 Le Figaro French Apache helicopters also participated in last night’s strike and hit a dozen military vehicles, including two armed pickup trucks. A spokesman said several helicopters had to respond to small arms fire from the ground, but managed to remain unharmed.

French Apache helicopters? What now?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

You see another taking pictures/video with their phone. I'm guessing professionalism isn't the major army requirement in Syria. So the same way these things always leak; people do hosed up stuff and then tape it and post it somewhere.

Wouldn't even the most basic, universal iota of common sense take over at this point? Even the most stupid, ethically bankrupt person imaginable should probably realise that - you know - filming yourself committing war crimes and joking about it maybe isn't the best thing you can do with your time. Just maybe?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Boner Slam posted:

French Apache helicopters? What now?

Probably some kind of wacky translation error or misconception. According to NATO there were 4 Tigers and 12 Gazelles from BPC Tonnerre and 4 Apaches from HMS Ocean. Some versions have shortened this as "British Apaches and French attack helicopters", and someone probably has then drawn the conclusion of attack helicopter = Apache. :downs:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

Wouldn't even the most basic, universal iota of common sense take over at this point? Even the most stupid, ethically bankrupt person imaginable should probably realise that - you know - filming yourself committing war crimes and joking about it maybe isn't the best thing you can do with your time. Just maybe?

:thumbsup: to that thought!

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

suboptimal posted:

Al-Jazeera English is reporting that Saleh has left Yemen for medical attention in Saudi Arabia, and the Saudi government has negotiated a one-week ceasefire between tribal forces and Saleh's loyalists. Let's see how long this lasts.

Well that's him done. Time for the power struggle.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

ChaosSamusX posted:

I was just going to point out the torture by American soldiers (not picking on them, pretty sure this happens by most if not all nations).

Yeah, people really are either that dumb or completely utterly convinced of their invulnerability and brilliantness never to get caught.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Jut posted:

Well that's him done. Time for the power struggle.

AJE and the NYT both walked back their reports and now are saying that there's Saudi doctors in Yemen and a medical plane at the airport just in case.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Brown Moses posted:

:nws: :nms:
Massacre on the rooftop of Karak Mosque in Syria
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYKUZFL5qVA
Jenan Moussa is currently Tweeting a translation:
http://twitter.com/#!/jenanmoussa

It's honestly one of the worst videos I've seen from the last few months, especially with the translation.

It's probably the worst footage I've ever seen, of anything. And I think I've seen a fair few in my time. These soldiers have no shred of humanity left in them. The worst thing is, it's easy to see all those people were shot in the head and on a rooftop; a mass execution?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Vice President + Commander of Armed Forces have taken over according to Al Jazeera.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's probably the worst footage I've ever seen, of anything. And I think I've seen a fair few in my time. These soldiers have no shred of humanity left in them. The worst thing is, it's easy to see all those people were shot in the head and on a rooftop; a mass execution?

Well, what do you expect from a dictator's army? We've seen the same thing with Gaddafi's troops and his mercenaries, with their use of rape as a weapon. Soldiers of a dictator's regime are mostly poorly trained, and only used as shock troops for controlling the population. They're basically used for murder against the populace through brute force by the government, and not anything else.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Vice President + Commander of Armed Forces have taken over according to Al Jazeera.

Do you mean Yemen? I don't think the other teetering regimes have Vice Presidents but I'm not sure.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yeah, it's Yemen.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Xandu posted:

AJE and the NYT both walked back their reports and now are saying that there's Saudi doctors in Yemen and a medical plane at the airport just in case.

Apparently the Saudis have now said he is in fact in Saudi Arabia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13658445 posted:

Yemen's president Ali Abdullah Saleh has flown to Saudi Arabia for medical treatment, a day after he was wounded when his palace was shelled, Saudi officials say.

Uncertainty surrounded Mr Saleh's whereabouts for much of Saturday.

Sources in Yemen told the BBC that Mr Saleh had a piece of shrapnel below his heart and second-degree burns.

An uprising demanding that the president leave power has brought Yemen close to civil war.

Namarrgon posted:

From what I gather only Ben Ali had the proper state of mind to leave so far and even he could have left as soon as the heat came and have enough money to find his own loving dynasty.
According to the pilot and the soldiers seeing him onto the plane his domineering wife ordered him to very reluctantly get on the plane and he spent the entire trip trying to get reassurance from the pilot that he was going to take him back to Tunisia after his family had been dropped off. I also seem to remember the plane leaving him at the airport and going back to Tunisia but I can't find any articles backing that up and might be thinking of Mubarak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A lot of people on Twitter are breathless over Saleh's move to Saudi Arabia and his transfer of power to his VP, but at the same time, what exactly has changed? If his family is still there, and in control of the security forces, it doesn't seem like everyone's just going to pack it up and go home...

• Locked thread