Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

If the president himself is near enough assassinated in his own compound then you have to wonder how much control his family will actually have left to wield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

quote:

Reuters reports that minutes after at least six blasts were heard in Tripoli, Libyan television alerted the following written news flash:

The city of Tripoli is undergoing attack now by the colonialist crusader aggressors.

I wonder if they are talking about the planes flying sorties or if they mean revolution in the streets.

vvv I dunno.. if the city hears clashes in the streets, the regime would want to tell everyone that they are "colonialist crusader aggressors" rather than freedom fighters bringing down the regime.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 5, 2011

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I wonder if they are talking about the planes flying sorties or if they mean revolution in the streets.

It would be unlikely they'd announce a street revolution.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax
Oh my god they're doing donuts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPV-ZJxjGU&feature=related

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Okay, assuming Saleh is in fact in Saudi Arabia, the real question is what the Saudis will do now. The failed GCC plan is evidence that they've never treated the protests in Yemen like they did the protests in Bahrain. I.E. they're more willing to accept a change of government in Yemen. The government could decide it's in its best interest not to let Saleh back into Yemen (if he recovers) and to negotiate a good position for itself with a new government.

Slave posted:

If the president himself is near enough assassinated in his own compound then you have to wonder how much control his family will actually have left to wield

The rumor is that it was actually someone in his family who planned it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xandu posted:

Jeez, with family like that, who needs enemies?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

You'd think that the foremost concern would be ensuring he lives to see tomorrow, not trying his best to hold on to power that's rapidly slipping from his grasp.
As Nenonen alluded to, he could have signed the GCC/US-backed agreement -- legal immunity/freedom from prosecution (not sure which it is technically) and safe exile in return for bowing out and not getting in the way of a transition to a stable Yemen without him in charge? But as Namarrgon said, he was probably too wedded to the idea of himself as President-for-life, though there is speculation as to whether Mubarak's persistence was really to buy time to smuggle riches out of Egypt.

Brown Moses, what's "Kohl" in the case of this translation of the video?

Young Freud, "toss the public face to save the regime"? (i.e. what some may be wondering about Egypt's ruling military council and Mubarak's "departure")

Namarrgon posted:

Yeah, people really are either that dumb or completely utterly convinced of their invulnerability and brilliantness never to get caught.
To me it seems less "dumb" than "the idea that there'd be a problem never occurred to them" (that is, the Syrian military probably hasn't had a "Wikileaks moment").

Has it ever been acknowledged by the US government whether inside-the-compound helmet cam footage of the Abbottabad "kill bin Laden" raid actually existed?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Pictures are said to be from the presidential mosque where Saleh got hit.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Celebration after news of Saleh's departure came out in Sana'a.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XzofHAAaD0

And the NYT reports the use of gunships in Syria.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/world/middleeast/05syria.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=globaleua2&pagewanted=print posted:

Syrian tanks took up positions outside the city of Hama on Saturday, where tens of thousands of people took to the streets to mourn the deaths of at least 65 protesters gunned down by security forces there the day before.

The government’s violent crackdown against a three-month-old popular uprising continued, with helicopter gunships killing 10 people in a neighboring province and residents of Hama bracing for a military assault that would be the first on the city since the government bombed it in 1982, killing at least 10,000 people.

With memories of that massacre still vivid, Hama had been slow to join the uprising against the government of President Bashar al-Assad.

But on Friday, protesters poured out of mosques and marched in record numbers toward the city’s main square, said a 27-year-old resident who gave his name as Hassan, many carrying roses to give to security forces. Before they reached the square, Al Aasy, security forces opened fire.

“They didn’t warn us with speakers or fire tear gas at us,” Hassan said. “They began shooting directly at us. They wanted to kill all of us, not frighten us back to our homes.”

As the gunshots rang out, clouds of tear gas filled the streets and throngs of protesters scrambled for cover. A few stood their ground and hurled stones at attacking security forces, according to YouTube videos provided by the Local Coordinating Committees in Syria, an activist group documenting the protest movement and the crackdown.

“God is great!” protesters shouted as they pulled one man, shot in the head, into a blood-soaked alley, the constant rattle of gunfire sounding behind them.

So many were treated for gunshot wounds at local hospitals that blood supplies ran low, residents said. Throughout the night, loudspeakers on mosques normally used for calls to prayer urged people to donate blood.

Activists warned that the number of fatalities was likely to rise as bodies were identified. Rami Abdelrahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said doctors at three hospitals had reported a total of 80 deaths.

On Saturday, funeral processions drew as many as 100,000 mourners into the streets, said Razan Zeitouneh, an activist. That pattern — protest, crackdown, mourning and protest — has been repeated hundreds of times across the Middle East since a season of revolution dawned six months ago in Tunisia, reshaping the region’s political order.

The funerals were “like a protest,” said Abu Abdo, a resident reached by telephone. Security forces were absent from the town and both the police station and the local headquarters of the governing Baath Party were empty, he said. Residents declared a general strike and barricaded the streets out of town with garbage bins, bracing for whatever the government had in store.

“We will continue to protest,” he said. “No more fears.”

By sunset though, dozens of tanks had massed at the city’s southern entrance, said activists from the Coordinating Committees.

The gathering forces have a special, chilling resonance in Hama. In 1982, President Hafez al-Assad, the current president’s father, responded to another popular uprising there with a bombardment that leveled much of the town and killed at least 10,000 people.

edit: It's also the Naksa anniversary today, but the Lebanese Army has warned Hezbollah to keep the protests away from the border this time. Something could happen on the Syrian border again though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Chortles posted:

Brown Moses, what's "Kohl" in the case of this translation of the video?

Kohl is the dark eyeliner stuff that some Afghan men wear, I've never seen anyone wearing it in the parts of the ME I've been to (Egypt, Lebanon.) It's probably meant as a dig, like the dead guy was wearing makeup because he's gay or something. lovely banter by war criminals at least.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chortles posted:

Young Freud, "toss the public face to save the regime"? (i.e. what some may be wondering about Egypt's ruling military council and Mubarak's "departure")
To me it seems less "dumb" than "the idea that there'd be a problem never occurred to them" (that is, the Syrian military probably hasn't had a "Wikileaks moment").

I hadn't thought about that. I would assume it was a power grab by one of his allies, but a member of his own family killing him so that their clan may be able to survive was a thought I hadn't considered.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Xandu posted:

Where did you see that? I'm not too terribly surprised, just wanting to know more.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I honestly can't remember, it was probably from twitter. I think the thought process is that nobody can get that close to the presidential mosque without being really close to Saleh, and most of his close associates are related at this point.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

suboptimal posted:

Kohl is the dark eyeliner stuff that some Afghan men wear, I've never seen anyone wearing it in the parts of the ME I've been to (Egypt, Lebanon.) It's probably meant as a dig, like the dead guy was wearing makeup because he's gay or something. lovely banter by war criminals at least.

Can you school me on the alcohol/ al-kohol/kohl thing? I tried to trace it but :smith:

Ogive posted:

Oh my god they're doing donuts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPV-ZJxjGU&feature=related

Please tell me that can actually be a slightly useful tactic for rebels to avoid incoming.. anything? It could confuse incoming small-arms fire at least, yes?

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 5, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol#Etymology

This goes into it, but I'm still not clear how Kohl is related to alcohol.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Xandu posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol#Etymology

This goes into it, but I'm still not clear how Kohl is related to alcohol.

I was told the phrase came about because over-indulgence (or any at all) can result in darkening of the eyes, hence the name.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

More celebratory pictures from Sana'a, via Facebook.

We so excited

edit:

http://almasdaronline.us.to/index.php?page=news&article-section=1&news_id=20341

It says that Saleh left with most of his family, indicating that he doesn't plan to return. He still has some sons and nephews in charge though, and who knows what they might do.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 5, 2011

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
yep, dancing in the streets, called it.

Wow, and this means Gadaffi outlasted Saleh, I don't think anyone would have bet on that happening.

Sneakums
Nov 27, 2007
MAXIMUM.SNEAK.
Israeli troops just fired on peaceful protesters at the Golan border. (Al-Jazeera Channel)

The protesters were commemorating Nakba Naksa.

Edit: 4th casualty just now.

Edit2: vvvv sorry for the typo, i got the two words mixed up.

Sneakums fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 5, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some more stuff from the Guardian Live Blog on Yemen:

quote:

The next thing, of course, is what happens next in Yemen. While Saleh's departure will thrill the many thousands of Yemenis who demonstrated for an end to his rule, some vested regional power interests will have their worries. Of particular concern for the likes of the US and Saudi Arabia is whether al-Qaida and other militant groups can consolidate their influence, especially in some southern regions already beyond the control of Sana'a.

Brian Whitaker's latest thoughts on Comment is Free are well worth reading in full, but here's a taster:

quote:

A second plane followed [Saleh to Saudi Arabia], reportedly carrying 24 members of his family. This is one indication that to all intents and purposes the Saleh era is finished. He is unlikely ever to return to Yemen as president – and the Saudis and Americans will be working behind the scenes to ensure that he doesn't.

It's also worth mentioning that others injured by the explosion include the prime minister, deputy prime minister, the heads of both houses of parliament and the governor of Sana'a, the capital. Some of them have also been flown to Saudi Arabia for treatment. One of Saleh's nephews, the commander of the special forces, is said to have been killed. So, even discounting Saleh himself, what's left of his regime is in serious disarray.

Given the desperate plight that Yemen is in, this offers the best prospect of a way forward for the country (as I suggested in an article on Friday). There is now a fair chance that the armed conflict will subside. It's by no means certain – and Yemen is never totally conflict-free – but the prospects for relative calm are a lot better now than they would have been if Saleh remained in Sana'a battling to cling on to power.

Secondly, work can begin on the political transition, drawing on some elements from the plan negotiated earlier by the Gulf Cooperation Council – the one that Saleh, after agreeing to it verbally, refused at the last minute to sign.

It's over for him now.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Sneakums posted:

Israeli troops just fired on peaceful protesters at the Golan border. (Al-Jazeera Channel)

The protesters were commemorating Nakba.

They're commemorating the Naksa day, which is the anniversary of the day Israel occupied Palestine and the Golans.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Some more stuff from the Guardian Live Blog on Yemen:

It's over for him now.

Wow.

Who ever gave the intel to say all those people would be in that same place needs a major reward, as in effect they have incapacitated all the existing government and thus made the revolution succeed with relatively minimal bloodshed; which considering it was heading towards Civil war this means thousands of lives have been saved by just this one incident.

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ukle posted:

Who ever gave the intel to say all those people would be in that same place needs a major reward, as in effect they have incapacitated all the existing government and thus made the revolution succeed with relatively minimal bloodshed; which considering it was heading towards Civil war this means thousands of lives have been saved by just this one incident.

Not likely. Decapitating the head only avoids bloodshed when there is someone who is ready to step in. This is just a power vacuum. Plenty of bloodshed to come.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
http://twitter.com/#!/ibnezra

This guy is live tweeting the situation from Qalandia. I really wish news sources would specify if it's live ammunition or rubber bullets or whatever the gently caress when they say "opening fire" because most people will jump to the conclusion they're using live rounds, which isn't always the case.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 5, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A shorter NATO update for today:

quote:

Sorties conducted 04 JUNE: 130
Strike sorties conducted 04 JUNE: 54
Key Hits
04 JUNE: In the vicinity of Tripoli: 1 Surface-To-Air Missile Storage Facility, 1 Command & Control Facility, 1 Military Installation.
In the vicinity of Brega: 1 Rocket Launcher, 2 Check Points, 1 Barracks.

More pressure being put on Brega, and it's interesting check points are being targetted in strikes in Brega, it suggests they are clearing the way for a rebel advance.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
What exactly were the details of the attack on Saleh? I got the impression it was a praying session of the big chiefs and some currently unknown person fired some sort of grenade inside?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It was some sort of shelling, not sure if it was artillery or mortars.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Young Freud posted:

Jeez, with family like that, who needs enemies?

It's like the old days of kings and emperors where everyone in your family wanted you dead to succeed you. I really hope if it was inside job that they're pro-democracy and not just opportunity killers.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's like the old days of kings and emperors where everyone in your family wanted you dead to succeed you. I really hope if it was inside job that they're pro-democracy and not just opportunity killers.

And I keep hoping to come home and find my house is now made of solid gold and diamonds.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Namarrgon posted:

And I keep hoping to come home and find my house is now made of solid gold and diamonds.

Stop playing so much Minecraft.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's some reports of clashes in Al Khums, which is west of Zliten, although info is scarce.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Sneakums posted:

The protesters were commemorating Nakba Naksa.

Unfortunately, the only source for that news seems to be Syrian State TV, which is trying anything to distract from the massacres in Syria. Though if they were blowing this up for distraction purposes, 11 is a pretty low number

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
CNN is reporting 'Eman al-Obeidy has left Libya and is on way to Malta, U.S. State Department source says.' So thankfully she seems to have made it out of this.

Greve
Nov 7, 2007
Theory Genesis

Spiky Ooze posted:

CNN is reporting 'Eman al-Obeidy has left Libya and is on way to Malta, U.S. State Department source says.' So thankfully she seems to have made it out of this.

Following up on this, CNN says she will continue from Malta (with her Father) to Europe for processing. Afterwards she will potentially be sent to the US to live.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's a pity about the veracity of the figures for the Golan victims, both states aren't exactly believable actors here. We'll likely never know the true number of deaths I reckon.

It's also interesting to see that Israel is on the same level of the Bahraini, Yemeni, Syrian and Libyan regimes. They're easily one of the worst, most evil regimes in the region yet because of their links to the US we in the West don't even think about it really. Just the other week their prime minister was absolutely fellated in the US senate address.

The world's a funny place sometimes.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a pity about the veracity of the figures for the Golan victims, both states aren't exactly believable actors here. We'll likely never know the true number of deaths I reckon.

It's also interesting to see that Israel is on the same level of the Bahraini, Yemeni, Syrian and Libyan regimes. They're easily one of the worst, most evil regimes in the region yet because of their links to the US we in the West don't even think about it really. Just the other week their prime minister was absolutely fellated in the US senate address.

Preventing people who are not your citizens from violently attempting to enter your borders is different from firing on a crowd of peacefully-protesting civilians.

That said, Israel better loving apologize. I am so glad I overslept the Israeli Day Parade today.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is there a source for the attack on Golan protesters besides Syrian State TV? I'm not arguing, I'm just asking for a good source.

E: Nevermind, just found about 5 or so separate sources. Although, is it really surprising we support Israel considering we also support Saudi Arabia?

Also, this is related to the thread/current conversation I think.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/government-official-who-makes-perfectly-valid-well,20499/

Lustful Man Hugs fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 5, 2011

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

ChaosSamusX posted:

Is there a source for the attack on Golan protesters besides Syrian State TV? I'm not arguing, I'm just asking for a good source.

Jerusalem Post is reporting the Syrian TV story with their own grain of salt commentary that there's no actual bodies or video evidence that anyone was killed, though some people definitely appear to have had their feet harmed. Prediction: this is called a massacre by the entire world until 2 years from now, when a comprehensive report shows that actually 3 people were just shot in the leg.

Even Ha'aretz, the most anti-Israel of the Israeli papers, is reporting that the only death reports are from Syrian TV, and may in fact be related to avoiding reporting the 25 people just shot to death in Syria by actual Syrians in the north during a protest.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 5, 2011

automatic
Nov 3, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's interesting that people are equating Syria and Israel. Israel is definitely a hosed up apartheid state but there isn't a country in the world that would let violent protestors climb their borders and riot. I mean, come on. Sweden, Norway, UK, US, whoever- if Mexicans were violently anti American you can bet your rear end they'd be getting hosed up at the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

automatic posted:

It's interesting that people are equating Syria and Israel. Israel is definitely a hosed up apartheid state but there isn't a country in the world that would let violent protestors climb their borders and riot. I mean, come on. Sweden, Norway, UK, US, whoever- if Mexicans were violently anti American you can bet your rear end they'd be getting hosed up at the border.

Palestinians also protest within PA controlled areas all the time - sometimes with guns and suicide vests on display - and Israel does nothing about it unless it turns violent on its own.

The part of Israel that is not the side that wants their own state and Israel dead is actually a stable, Western democracy with a free media and civil rights for its citizens and doesn't treat its women like poo poo. There are examples in Israel of when that's not the case, but they're exceptions to the general rule, just like people in America who are arrested thanks to the Patriot Act for stupid things they shouldn't be arrested for. People overlook things like that when they're cheering on Arab countries who are rushing to replace their oppressive regimes with honestly, some regimes that look only slightly less oppressive to their populations.

• Locked thread