Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Do you mean in the story, side missions or the challenges? Don't get me wrong I'm really enjoying Undead, but I would say it's not spectacular on it's own. The missions are mostly go somewhere, shoot something, ride back. It's good for people who enjoyed RDR enough that they just wanted more.

OK, thanks. I do want more, but I was hoping there'd be at least a few nice side missions not involving flowers or pelts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Underflow posted:

OK, thanks. I do want more, but I was hoping there'd be at least a few nice side missions not involving flowers or pelts.

There's more treasure hunting, you don't get pelts, and only a few of the flowers are worth looking out for. The Journal challenges also only go up to Level 5 in UN, so it doesn't take quite as long.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Does anybody know a fool-proof way to get Pestilence to spawn in Undead Nightmare? I know it resides mostly around Tall Trees but I've only managed to trigger it twice and have wondered for a few hours there in total. First time I wasn't on horseback when I arrived at the area and the horsie got away. Next time I came prepared just to be loving KILLED BY A COUGAR WHEN MARSTON IS RAGDOLLING AROUND LIKE A RETARD FROM THE FIRST ATTACK. If I screw up once more, I'll let that loving horse be. :argh:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

These Loving Eyes posted:

Does anybody know a fool-proof way to get Pestilence to spawn in Undead Nightmare? I know it resides mostly around Tall Trees but I've only managed to trigger it twice and have wondered for a few hours there in total. First time I wasn't on horseback when I arrived at the area and the horsie got away. Next time I came prepared just to be loving KILLED BY A COUGAR WHEN MARSTON IS RAGDOLLING AROUND LIKE A RETARD FROM THE FIRST ATTACK. If I screw up once more, I'll let that loving horse be. :argh:

Your best bet is to forget all about Pestilence until he just spawns. There's no way to make any of them spawn from what I can tell, it's purely chance. At least he didn't drown you both in a river while you were breaking him. :D

niff
Jul 4, 2010
multiplayer is so much god-drat fun with friends, i can't believe it, i wasn't expecting such a fun multi component. does anyone else think R* was wrong to nerf hideout XP and not buff PVP XP in a bid to encourage more PVP events?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is Son of Icarus and Flowers for a Lady the only stranger quests that need animal components? And is there really any point to selling the components in different parts of the country? I read in a tooltip that you'd get better prices in places that didn't have the animal.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

Is Son of Icarus and Flowers for a Lady the only stranger quests that need animal components? And is there really any point to selling the components in different parts of the country? I read in a tooltip that you'd get better prices in places that didn't have the animal.

I've gotten better prices selling things like bear skins down south, if I remember correctly. So yes, if you're trying to make as much as possible from your skins et al, sell in areas that don't see that animal. Same with the plants, I think.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

Selling bear, beaver, buffalo, fox and raccoon pelts and meat in Mexico will net you more dough in the long run. Selling bobcat and jaguar pelts in West Elizabeth and New Austin will go further to help you maximize profits.

A good rule of thumb is this: if you can't kill it in that territory, it'll sell well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

niff posted:

finally got on the boat with this game. i can't pry myself away from it. i have never played a game where it just feels so satisfying to kill a dude.

If you are just now getting started in this game, learn how to use the campsites for fast travel. I don't think the game did a good job of explaining this mechanic.

That's not to say use fast travel every time, as it really takes away from all the random encounters and wild animal attacks. If you are running errands for stranger missions it helps cut down on time some.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Are any of the DLC packs still free? I only ask as I'm going to pick this game up on Monday and I want all the content that I can snag without spending too much.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Are any of the DLC packs still free? I only ask as I'm going to pick this game up on Monday and I want all the content that I can snag without spending too much.
Some of the DLC is free. For 1200 XBL points you can nab all the DLC including Undead Nightmare. I usually hate DLC for being too expensive but that is hands down the best buy you will ever make. Tons of extra stuff to do.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
plus, you'll have 800MSP leftover, which allows you to buy a whole bunch of stuff in xbla - unlike a ton of other DLC that leaves you with some awkward number of points leftover. loving microsoft and their fake currency.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Have there been any rumblings of Rockstar announcing a sequel at E3 this year?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

fennesz posted:

Selling bear, beaver, buffalo, fox and raccoon pelts and meat in Mexico will net you more dough in the long run. Selling bobcat and jaguar pelts in West Elizabeth and New Austin will go further to help you maximize profits.

A good rule of thumb is this: if you can't kill it in that territory, it'll sell well.

Having said that, I have never ever bothered to micromanage my sales like this and I've never really had a problem with money. If you're into keeping track of which animals sell the best in which territories, if that's a thing that you enjoy doing, then by all means do it, because it's an option that's available and it's technically rewarding, but if that doesn't sound fun to you, don't worry, because you don't ever really have to do it - an alternative rule of thumb is "kill a lot of animals and sell them at the closest store".

They did a good job with forcing you to actually go out and hunt if you want money in this game, but it's not so dire that you really need to carefully maximize your profits; you'll do ok with a blunt force approach too as long as you don't go hog wild with your spending.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Yeah, money is just kind of 'there' as a feature. Loot bodies and pick up weapons for ammo and you should never have to buy any. The only thing I ever used cash for was buying maps, outfit pieces, horse deeds and the occasional health items. Also, selling the gold bars from the treasure chests can bring in some good coin. You can also rake in plenty from helping out strangers, doing nightwatch jobs and bringing in outlaws.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Philip J Fry posted:

Yeah, money is just kind of 'there' as a feature. Loot bodies and pick up weapons for ammo and you should never have to buy any. The only thing I ever used cash for was buying maps, outfit pieces, horse deeds and the occasional health items. Also, selling the gold bars from the treasure chests can bring in some good coin. You can also rake in plenty from helping out strangers, doing nightwatch jobs and bringing in outlaws.

Nightwatch jobs can be pretty fun. I love the mechanic of "follow this dog around till he sniffs out trouble" while he goes through chicken coops and under fences and stuff. Really makes me want a doggy companion throughout the game. Would make the lonely wilderness travels a different experience.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Saint Sputnik posted:

Nightwatch jobs can be pretty fun. I love the mechanic of "follow this dog around till he sniffs out trouble" while he goes through chicken coops and under fences and stuff. Really makes me want a doggy companion throughout the game. Would make the lonely wilderness travels a different more heartbreaking and infuriating experience due to him getting eaten all the time by bears, cougars, and possibly getting shot for having rabies and/or standing too close to the rabbit when I am using a shotgun.

There we go, fixed that for ya.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There we go, fixed that for ya.

RDR's eventual sequel should have an Old Yeller achievement, when you have to shoot your dog after a rabid cougar gets it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Aw :(

Solution: Loyal cougar companion.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

Nightwatch jobs can be pretty fun. I love the mechanic of "follow this dog around till he sniffs out trouble" while he goes through chicken coops and under fences and stuff. Really makes me want a doggy companion throughout the game. Would make the lonely wilderness travels a different experience.

Beastmaster code. Enjoy all the companions. ALL OF THEM.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

Aw :(

Solution: Loyal cougar companion.

While riding a bear!!

Best times ever.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
why a bear isn't one of the multiplayer mounts i will never know.

also, holy poo poo. that loving ending, man. that was the best singleplayer ride i have had in a long time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think i got most of my money from doing bounties and the treasure hunting. Those are very lucrative.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Sorry if this has been posted a million times but the thread is over 200 pages so I just checked the last few...

Does anyone still play multiplayer? Or, at the very least, want to burn through all the Co-op missions with me?

GT: OldStNichols

niff
Jul 4, 2010
yeah, any 360 goons want to get in on this business? i'm starting to get my rhythm in MP. keen to roll through some co-op missions, but i am in new zealand so timezones could be awkward. GT: niffkragoth

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

I'd love to do some Advanced Co-op, I can't do it with pubbies, but I'll do regular co-op too.

GT: diesel680

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I apologize if this is a repeat question, I admit I didn't go through the whole thread.

Has anyone had any trouble with Nuevo Paraiso bounties registering? I've done around dozen, and three locations never register as completed. I've tried accepting bounties from different areas, dismounting my horse and handing the bounty in on foot, and playing as Jack and it still doesn't work. This has the side effect of locking me out of the Bandito outfit.

I tried using Rockstar support, and they never got back to me. If anyone has advice, it would be really helpful.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

I just started a 100% run a week ago and ran into the same problem. I've done about 5 bounties in Mexico but only 2 have registered in the stats menu. I remember having the same issue when I first got the game, but I eventually got them after doing the New Austin and West Elizabeth bounties first (because Mexico bounties are such a pain in the rear end with all of the meandering roads going around gulches, steep hills and poo poo with the jails a long way away).

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Saw a reference to that bug on a games forum a while ago. The required tally for 100% is 8 in NA, 8 in NP, and 4 in Blackwater, right? Some people found they had to do a 9th bounty in Mexico for the total to register correctly; apparently RS acknowledged this and said they were working on a fix - this was several months ago.

When I started my 100% run shortly after that, there was a games update as soon as I logged in to Xbox live and I didn't have the problem. So make sure you have the latest update just in case.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Underflow posted:

Saw a reference to that bug on a games forum a while ago. The required tally for 100% is 8 in NA, 8 in NP, and 4 in Blackwater, right? Some people found they had to do a 9th bounty in Mexico for the total to register correctly; apparently RS acknowledged this and said they were working on a fix - this was several months ago.

When I started my 100% run shortly after that, there was a games update as soon as I logged in to Xbox live and I didn't have the problem. So make sure you have the latest update just in case.

Doing another didn't help. In my case, it's specific locations – I think Heidura Grande, Laguna Borrego, and Rancho Polvo, if I remember correctly. I've downloaded all of the updates (I just started playing this summer) and it's still broken.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
drat that sucks. RDR finally has some real 100% completion reward compared to GTA.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Underflow posted:

drat that sucks. RDR finally has some real 100% completion reward compared to GTA.

Eh, the US Marshall outfit is way, way better looking than the Bureau uniform in my opinion. Ain't no pussy rear end bowler hats in my wardrobe pardner.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

The hunter and merchant outfits have awesome perks, it's too bad you can't unlock them until near the end of the game when they are pretty much useless.

Also, I just finished the last Blackwater mission on this playthrough and still haven't received the rosary charm. Before, I usually got it before I even made it to Mexico. :iiam:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Picked this game up yesterday and i am loving it. So drat much to do!!!

I got some code with the game that comes with unlocks. There was a couple of outfits (assassin was one of them, another was one that gives bonus to skinning things and maybe another). I also got the golden guns.

I have received the golden guns already and the game said i have unlocked/discovered the outfits, but the outfits are unavailable. I still have a massive checklist of tasks to do to actually get access to them. Is this correct? What was the point of the codes? Are these 100% not in the game if you don't have access to the codes or something?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

xcore posted:

I got some code with the game that comes with unlocks. There was a couple of outfits (assassin was one of them, another was one that gives bonus to skinning things and maybe another). I also got the golden guns.

I have received the golden guns already and the game said i have unlocked/discovered the outfits, but the outfits are unavailable. I still have a massive checklist of tasks to do to actually get access to them. Is this correct? What was the point of the codes? Are these 100% not in the game if you don't have access to the codes or something?

Correct, if you didn't have the codes, those items were completely not in the game. Except they recently made them available to everybody for a small amount of points.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

xcore posted:

That's correct, they were originally a preorder bonus that were made into DLC a while back.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

fennesz posted:

Eh, the US Marshall outfit is way, way better looking than the Bureau uniform in my opinion. Ain't no pussy rear end bowler hats in my wardrobe pardner.

Uh uh. The way his trousers bubble over his boots - just like that horrid rancher outfit - is so clumsy looking. His sweaty countenance is enough; don't need even more visuals to induce discomfort. The Derby and waistcoat are a much neater sight.

I don't like the duster and legend kits either. The former cause it hangs on him like a thoroughly sweatsoaked double layer llama hide; the latter cause it suffers from bootbulge like the rancher and marshall.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I'm almost legendary four, I've been playing since day 1, and I still don't understand some poo poo.

How come this gently caress I was just playing against can just run around the corner and kill me, but doesn't show up on my map? I'm creeping around like a dumb rear end while he just jogs around and gets the jump on people. Is it only when you are sprinting?

Also, how the hell do people roll multiple times in a row? Is it a glitch?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

fennesz posted:

Actually,
"Contrary to popular belief, it was the bowler and not the cowboy hat that was the most popular in the American West, prompting Lucius Beebe to call it 'the hat that won the West.'"

e: I'd add that the bowler hat was popular for its durability. It was like a little helmet, designed to protect your head from riding under tree branches. It was sturdy enough to stop a knife if used as a mini buckler.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Doing another didn't help. In my case, it's specific locations – I think Heidura Grande, Laguna Borrego, and Rancho Polvo, if I remember correctly. I've downloaded all of the updates (I just started playing this summer) and it's still broken.

I just noticed that it kept giving me the bandito bounty every time at those 3 locations. This time I came around to the front entrance of Chuparosa, hitched my horse at the hotel, carried the bounty over to the marker and it finally worked.

• Locked thread