Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

So, if at all possible, I'd like to get some advice.

Currently my setup is as follows:

Guitar -> Crybaby Wah -> TC Electronics tuner -> Rocktron Guitar Silencer (in the effects loop of this a TS808 Tube Screamer) -> Amp

Effects loop -> EQ -> Boss PH-2 Phaser -> CE-2 Chorus -> DD-3 Delay -> Return

So, the issue I'm having, is that I use the Tube Screamer as a boost for leads (cutting the tone mostly, I'm hard pressed to push the tubes in the amp harder at this point) however a common complaint when we play out is that I don't cut through quite enough.

I'm also fairly certain that this is a sub-optimal board build.

Is there any recommendations y'all can make to shore that up some?

For reference I'm playing through an Orange Rockerverb 100 and usually through either a Epi SG with a DiMarzio SD in the bridge, or an ESP/LTD KH-602 with EMG 81 in the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
An equalizer is a good way to shape your tone into a more distinct lead sound.

spammy davis jr
Mar 21, 2009

junyatwin posted:

Is there any recommendations y'all can make to shore that up some?

What genre/guitar tones are you going for? Are you simply looking for a clean volume boost? Or are you looking to add extra Gain on top of the distortion for your leads?

Also, do you currently have the amp dimed all the way up? Or do you normally play with it quieter than that. If I remember correctly, the Rockerverb has 2 channels. Maybe the way to think about this is to start using those two channels for this. Have the clean channel setup with a distortion pedal in front of it for your rhythm tones, and use the distortion channel for leads. Or is that not practical here?

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

We play metal, and the gain channel is pretty high up. I want to say I keep the gain on it at about 9 o'clock or so. I want to add the extra distortion and some tone changing for the leads, so that it stands out a bit more.

Maybe just some help getting the settings on the TS right. :confused:

Really what it comes down to is that I'm not exactly sure how to set things for the sound I want. Basically I'm trying to get that mid 80's thrash boost for the leads over what we play, which is effectively a cross between 70s era metal and NWOBM.

Edit: If it helps, I can link to a recording of us playing live so you can see what I'm going for. We're not that good though, so I'm a bit nervous to do that.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I have been looking at the SYB-5 (for my bass), I am running Guitar Rig 4 Kontrol (which I am loving) but am thinking if I can't get the same as what the SYB-5 is offering (which I'm sure I could if I spent about 2 years trying to emulate it) I might just buy it. But in terms of simplicity and speed, the GR4 is so simple to use and swapping effects around in the chain is effortless, although I have heard a lot of people say 'it just isn't the same as the real thing', I am no pro and the sounds I am getting seem awesome enough to keep me happy for a long time.

If anyone has any advice on the syb-5 that would be good, I'm reading a lot of mixed reports, a lot of guys dislike the temperament of the expression pedal and get rid of the whole thing straight away, others love it.

Psychedelay ftw!

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 12, 2011

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

xkem posted:

I have been looking at the SYB-5 (for my bass), I am running Guitar Rig 4 Kontrol (which I am loving) but am thinking if I can't get the same as what the SYB-5 is offering (which I'm sure I could if I spent about 2 years trying to emulate it) I might just buy it. But in terms of simplicity and speed, the GR4 is so simple to use and swapping effects around in the chain is effortless, although I have heard a lot of people say 'it just isn't the same as the real thing', I am no pro and the sounds I am getting seem awesome enough to keep me happy for a long time.

If anyone has any advice on the syb-5 that would be good, I'm reading a lot of mixed reports, a lot of guys dislike the temperament of the expression pedal and get rid of the whole thing straight away, others love it.

I haven't had any experience with the SYB-5, but I owned an SYB-3 for many years, only recently selling it because I just don't use much of a synth sound in my current playing. What I've always heard was that the 5 is very similar to the 3, but with improvements on the tracking/triggering of the effect. Honestly I never had much trouble getting the 3 to track/trigger well, but I understood its limitations off the bat. But the 5 was/is still far from perfect in that regard from what I hear.

Honestly, if I was in the market for another synth pedal (which I kind of am), I'd save up a bit more money and look into the Markbass Super Synth. Though it has its own presets, you can hook it up to your computer via USB and through provided software, you can have control over the presets by changing pretty much all of the parameters. I think total it can save 12 presets to the pedal itself, but you can save as many to your computer as you want, and simply switch them out. Best of all it's got full octaver functions as well.

(screen of part of the software)

Or hell, if you have some SERIOUS cash... find yourself an Akai Deep Impact SB-1 on ebay.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Thanks for that. Guitar Rig 4 is a USB controlled computer program, much like what you were describing. It has many effects (am still yet to find a place where you can download more patches/rigs into it...) which is great. It has a bunch of amp simulators and effects racks built in. It's raved on about by Air, Metallica, Rammstein to name a few... heaps of people use it, and a lot of people are claiming to be turfing their old effects boards and going out and buying it, if you get a chance to have a go, I highly recommend it.

I haven't explored much into the 'synth' side of GR4, but from what I can gather it's all pretty much gonna have to be set manually (ie; not many presets, it really seems to largely revolve around guitar)

If I can find a demo pedal somewhere to gently caress around with for the SYB-5, I will. The demo video they have on youtube is almost convincing of it's awesomeness enough to make just go straight out and buy one, but I'm beginning to think that software/hardware is the way to go.

screenshot of Guitar Rig 4:

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 12, 2011

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

xkem posted:

Psychedelay ftw!

I have an SYB-5 (no expression pedal mind, so couldn't comment on that)- my one complaint is that it is too loud- you have to have both the wet and dry mix knobs at about 9 o'clock, or it won't be a balanced level when it's off. This is even more pronounced when using a distortion after it- it needs to be first in your chain (except maybe a compressor) to get the most accurate tracking out of it.

You also have to be a VERY clean player to get the most out of it- if you hit 2 notes when in synth mode (which is monophonic, ie one note, whilst the waveshaper is polyphonic and can handle chords) you will get some pretty mad sounds as it tries to track two notes at once. Sound wise, it definitely benefits having some effects after it too- a bit of chorus and delay really bring it to life.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
So I've decided to build my own distortion box via an old walkman tape player, after seeing all these videos/pics about it. I figured it'd be simple, slap a jack onto where the tape head goes and one on where the audio out/speakers go, and that'd be that. However I know nothing about electronics and have become confused by what I discovered when I opened up my tape player. I was following the instructions on http://brokenpants.com/?page_id=211 but what I've got appears to be different. I'd google this sort of thing but my lack of understanding and terminology makes it difficult. My problem is:

-I figured the tape head would be connected to three wires; red, white, and black. It was not. It's just two wires, a salmon colored one and a small yellow one that goes inside the salmon jacket. They eventually both disappear into the circuit board.

-What I thought was a mono cord that I split open turned out to be a two-contact one. However, this is the cord with three red black and white wires in it. My other cable, the true mono one, has just a shielded inside wire and the wire under the black jacket. So two I guess.

Could someone knowledgeable just point me in the right direction on what I've got going on here? Greatly appreciated.

edit: I guess I should mention that I'm working with a tape player/recorder, and the output would be from some on-deck speakers.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 14, 2011

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
How'd this drop off the front page?

I'm thinking of getting a Fralin Unbucker for the neck position to replace/displace my Lil 59 mini bucker, which I may then move to the middle spot. Anyone have experience with these, or other recommendations? I'm looking for something a little more Strat-like that stays clear with overdrive.

I also recently got a Boss CE-5 chorus pedal. It sounds alright, but the stereo out doesn't work like I thought it would and I might swap it out. If I had second amp that sounded decent I'd go for the stereo setup, but I don't want to compromise my sweet Mesa tone with some crappy amp, or make my stage setup too complicated. What are some other good chorus pedals for use with a single amp?

Additionally, I'm considering a new speaker (or 2nd speaker, since I have a spare cab). The Black Shadow in my Mesa DC-5 is nice, but I think it just might be darker than I'm looking for.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

I also recently got a Boss CE-5 chorus pedal. It sounds alright, but the stereo out doesn't work like I thought it would and I might swap it out. If I had second amp that sounded decent I'd go for the stereo setup, but I don't want to compromise my sweet Mesa tone with some crappy amp, or make my stage setup too complicated. What are some other good chorus pedals for use with a single amp?

The second output on the CE-5 (and most other stereo choruses) is just the dry (and in this case buffered) signal, it needs two amps, and for the speakers to be pointed in the right direction before it sounds right.

The EHX Small Clone is simple and sounds pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3mPmWiEQLo

or the Polychorus, that has a "stereo" output which is actually just another jack piggybacked onto the input... So it can also be used as a second input.

This also has analogue delay and flanger functions too, and can make some pretty crazy sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WepUW63bsQ

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
This looks like the right thread to post this in:

I have a Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 that seems to have some issues.

1) I believe it has a grounding problem. When I plug it in and switch it on, it hums massively, but the humming stops if I turn it off or have the back open, and am touching the components. How do I fix this?

2) I'm not sure how to describe it, but it has terrible 'sweep'(?). All the change in tone happens within the space of a couple of millimetres of turning the pot. Is there a way to remedy this and have the tone change over a larger turn, or should I get a new pot or something?

I'm also hoping to do some modifications to the circuit to change the sound and tone and bit, but I'm not too concerned about that at the moment. Just those two issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Chroisman posted:

This looks like the right thread to post this in:

I have a Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 that seems to have some issues.

1) I believe it has a grounding problem. When I plug it in and switch it on, it hums massively, but the humming stops if I turn it off or have the back open, and am touching the components. How do I fix this?

2) I'm not sure how to describe it, but it has terrible 'sweep'(?). All the change in tone happens within the space of a couple of millimetres of turning the pot. Is there a way to remedy this and have the tone change over a larger turn, or should I get a new pot or something?

I'm also hoping to do some modifications to the circuit to change the sound and tone and bit, but I'm not too concerned about that at the moment. Just those two issues.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1) Is the hum there when it's powered by battery or wall wart? what about if it's the only effect in the chain?

Try Guitar -> Wah battery powered with a NEW BATTERY -> Amp. is the noise still there?

Have any modifications been done to the pedal already?

Are the input/output/power jacks mounted on the board? The joints may need re-soldering as they can crack over several years of use.

The 220uF capacitor across the 9v and Ground lines may be bad.

2) Usually if the potentiometer is bad, you'll hear a crackle as the pedal is rocked back and forth.

Modifications? Don't bother, the 535q isn't that expensive any more and has most of the mods that people do already done to it.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 5, 2011

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010

Chalupa Joe posted:

1) Is the hum there when it's powered by battery or wall wart? what about if it's the only effect in the chain?

Try Guitar -> Wah battery powered with a NEW BATTERY -> Amp. is the noise still there?

Have any modifications been done to the pedal already?

Are the input/output/power jacks mounted on the board? The joints may need re-soldering as they can crack over several years of use.

The 220uF capacitor across the 9v and Ground lines may be bad.

2) Usually if the potentiometer is bad, you'll hear a crackle as the pedal is rocked back and forth.

Modifications? Don't bother, the 535q isn't that expensive any more and has most of the mods that people do already done to it.

Sorry, I could have spared you all that trouble and included that detail in my post in the first place haha.

I've been exclusively trying it out as guitar --> wah (w/ new 9V battery) --> amp since I've got it. As far as I'm aware, the pedal is completely stock but I can't vouch for it, since another friend owned it before me, and recently another friend borrowed it for a long while. I don't think the friend who borrowed it from me would have modified it since it's not his, but I'm not sure about the original owner.

Everything but the pot, switch and battery connector are mounted on the board, so I'll take a look at that when I have some time and re-solder anything that needs to be I suppose.

I'm guessing replacing 220 uF capacitor will be a good idea? And if ground lines are bad, how do I know and how do I fix this.

In regards to the potentiometer, I'm just wondering if it's usual for the tone to change so massively in the space of a tiny rotation. At the moment there is no crackling when it's turned. I'm just not very knowledgeable about all this electronics stuff because I spent about 6 years just playing acoustic, with no amplification/effects.

Thanks very much for your help so far, though. Really appreciate it.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Chroisman posted:

In regards to the potentiometer, I'm just wondering if it's usual for the tone to change so massively in the space of a tiny rotation. At the moment there is no crackling when it's turned.

If it's not crackling it's probably ok.

The standard pot is a black "Hotpotz II", on newer pedals, or blue Hotpotz (or Bourns) labelled pot for early 90s. Older ones with off-board jacks (pre-Dunlop?) used open potentiometers.

Wah is an EQ effect (it's a narrow bandpass filter where the range can be swept up and down) , depending on how your amp's EQ is set it can seem that all the change happens at once. - Dime all the EQ knobs, see if that makes a difference.

However, a standard crybaby does kind of change abruptly in the middle of the sweep, or at least, the change in sound is most noticeable around the middle of the range. it also depends how high up on the neck you're playing.

The hum could also be noise picked up from fluorescent lights/computers/other electronics.
Or just single coil pickups.
Or playing high-gain, does it still hum on a clean amp? try a different amp (and/or guitar) if possible.

The 220uF Capacitor is the big black one next to the DC Jack, there is also a smaller 100nF capacitor, the yellow blob right in the bottom left corner that are both used for supply filtering.

Either of these could be the problem, though if they are bad the 220uF is more likely.

But it's much, much more likely that there's a bad ground.
start with the pedal with just the bottom plate removed, everything else inside should be connected as normal, and the board screwed down to the chassis.

1) Remove the battery.

2) plug a 1/4" jack into the input socket. (or a patch lead with nothing connected).

3) With a multimeter on the resistance setting check that there is a 0 (or as close as makes no difference) resistance reading between the Screw holding the board down and:

The casing of the pedal.
The black wire going to the potentiometer - if this is connected anywhere else, check those connections too.
The sleeve connections of the input and output jacks, these are along the left and right edges of the board.
The black wire of the battery snap where it plugs into the board, and the - connection of the battery snap.

Check the battery snap connections aren't corroded, or otherwise damaged.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 5, 2011

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.
I need advice on a fuzz pedal. I was thinking of getting the little big muff because I love the sound of a big muff pi, but everybody says that it doesn't cut through well in a live situation. I was wondering, if I used an overdrive pedal with it to boost it, would it be able to cut through better or should I just look for a different fuzz pedal? (I'd be using it with a strat, if that makes any difference)

I was also considering the boss fz-5 but the reviews say the only useable setting on it is the fuzz face one so that would be kind of a waste of money, and I'd prefer a higher gain fuzz anyways.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

pimpology 101 posted:

I need advice on a fuzz pedal. I was thinking of getting the little big muff because I love the sound of a big muff pi, but everybody says that it doesn't cut through well in a live situation. I was wondering, if I used an overdrive pedal with it to boost it, would it be able to cut through better or should I just look for a different fuzz pedal? (I'd be using it with a strat, if that makes any difference)

I was also considering the boss fz-5 but the reviews say the only useable setting on it is the fuzz face one so that would be kind of a waste of money, and I'd prefer a higher gain fuzz anyways.

The Big Muff has a built-in EQ curve of scooped mids in it's sound/circuitry. An OD pedal for a boost wouldn't really help, but the BMP with the Tone Wicker switch actually has a more "flat" sound to it, it should help you cut through.

pimpology 101
Aug 6, 2006
Pimpin' ain't easy.
Thanks for the advice, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Bumble Bee
Dec 21, 2005

by Lowtax
Does anyone know if the danelectro back talk pedal is worth anything? Bought one years ago and just found it again up in my loft today. I see they've been discontinued but I think there's been other pedals since then that've done the reverse delay thing as well?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a decent Noise Gate. Any suggestions?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hammer Floyd posted:

I'm looking for a decent Noise Gate. Any suggestions?

ISP Decimator G String is the god-king of "it just works" noise reduction.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

By contrast, the vanilla ISP decimator was fine for me if you can just leave it on the distortion channel, but if you're switching between clean and gain it kills too much of your sound.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Any single-point noise reduction unit is going to inevitably have that problem. You just have to stick it at one given area and decide "this is where I want it to reduce noise" and dial it in right there. The most effective use from those is probably to stick it as early in the signal chain as possible (after a compressor if you use one of those early on or it'll undo any sustain benefits); guitars are basically big antennas that are often poorly shielded and they'll pick up all kinds of noise that isn't common mode (so humbuckers won't really reject it, though single coils are even more susceptible). Gating at or near the pickups allows you to reduce the single largest noise source in the signal chain, so everything down the line has less noise to amplify. However, high-gain devices can have pretty tremendous amplification factors, and it's entirely possible that there will be enough self-noise from other stuff that you'll still get unacceptable noise levels when all is said and done.

The solution is a noise reduction loop that's side-chained with your guitar's input signal (or your early-in-the-chain compressor's output signal if you use a compressor, same reasoning as above). The ISP Decimator G-String is my favorite because I used it and all the noise went away but I can play clean and it won't affect anything. That's pretty cool. There are other options, I think MXR just released a sort of me-too version for about half the price but the vids suggest that it might be a bit aggressive in its gating. The Decimator's noise reduction algorithm itself was coded by the same people that wrote HUSH for Rocktron twenty years ago, it's good at what it does. MXR's gate is effective at chopping sound right off at a defined threshold, less good at following the signal down to the point where it meets the noise.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I just got a ZVex Mastotron (first pedal wooo) and its pretty much awesome. I was looking for some good fuzz and I got it. I was kind of on the fence with respects to whether I really needed (even though I wanted it) some fuzz or not, but this pedal just blew me away and I love it. I hope I don't get more noise complaints :ohdear:

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 17, 2011

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

If you're into fuzz, you're supposed to be into noise complaints. :rock:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Agreed posted:

If you're into fuzz, you're supposed to be into noise complaints. :rock:

I get called at like 2 in the afternoon, I don't know what these people are doing but gently caress sometimes I want to crank poo poo up and let my amp rumble the place

guess I can't

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've come to the conclusion that I can't afford a 1959SLP so I'm now looking for a stomp box that will get me in the same ballpark as this. Anyone got any ideas?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wampler plextortion/pixidrive?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Someone please buy this and report back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZGDYJ77xA

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Someone please buy this and report back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZGDYJ77xA

I feel like I need to try that on bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Narwhale posted:

I feel like I need to try that on bass.

Sympathetics can sound kind of muddy on bass if you're lower on the register... Worth a shot though!

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Not available until 9/18 and it's $240. If GC stocks it, I might give it a shot.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Scarf posted:

Sympathetics can sound kind of muddy on bass if you're lower on the register... Worth a shot though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crSi9IxPfYA

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Well yeah, when you completely fabricate an instrument especially FOR that =)

Sounds awesome though.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Scarf posted:

Well yeah, when you completely fabricate an instrument especially FOR that =)

Sounds awesome though.

To be fair, I don't expect the Ravish to be able to reproduce this, either. But it's always neat to see experimentation and have an idea what you're aiming for!

I actually used to get a passable ghetto sitar sound using some delay pedals with the feedback at 99% and the delay near 0 (using the precise delay to tune it in). Not really "authentic", but interesting.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm looking into buying a looper, so I figure I want either the Boss RC-2 or RC-3. The RC-2 is cheaper, which is tempting, and I can't honestly say I need three hours of recording time or the ability to hook it up to a computer. That said, can anyone tell me if I should sack up and drop the extra dough? Are there any other loopers I should be looking at? I doubt I'll be doing anything too complex, but I'd still like a somewhat future-proof investment.

Edit: never mind, after reading a lot of reviews, I bought a jamman solo. Really excited for it to arrive.

Manky fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 5, 2011

New God
Jun 2, 2007

It takes shades of faggotry to make an awesome rainbow
Ok weird question time. I have a clean blend loop pedal called the Barge Concepts VFB-2. I got it with the intention of being able to blend my clean signal or slight overdrive with my fuzztones. Yet whenever I blend the two, I get a huge drop in volume and bass/highs. Is this a phasing problem? if so, is their a solution? Before the looper I have an OCD overdrive, and I have a fuzz factory and a musket fuzz inside the loop.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
Hey maybe you guys can help me with this problem. I recently moved and i guess my Ibanez WD7 took some damage, because now the auto-switch doesnt work. The wah still works, but it won't stay upright. The pedal just flops around.

So, I opened it up and it appears that the screw that attaches the pedal to the spring mechanism has snapped. Any ideas on how to fix this guy? I love the wah but the auto-switch is what really makes it for me. The screw seems to be a custom Ibanez thing so i'm not sure where i could get a replacement.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
^^^^
Call whoever of these people is closest and order the part?
Though if it's a normal screw, pretty much any hardware/engineering supplies store should be able to help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

I'm looking for a decent EQ pedal, and the MXR 10 band looks awesome, but I have a couple 9V spots left on my power supply chain. Is the Boss EQ-7 or whatever a decent choice?