Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
So what worries should we have about corgis on (a) stairs (b) sofas, chairs and beds?
The breeder said that the downward pressure on the puppies front joints when going downstairs is something to avoid if possible for the first 6 months, but hopping up and down off of the sofa is not something to worry about. we live on the second floor so this is something I want to know if I should be concerned with or if I'm just worrying for no reason.

Is there a general consensus on this? It sounded more like controlling their weight would help more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

he1ixx posted:

So what worries should we have about corgis on (a) stairs (b) sofas, chairs and beds?
The breeder said that the downward pressure on the puppies front joints when going downstairs is something to avoid if possible for the first 6 months, but hopping up and down off of the sofa is not something to worry about. we live on the second floor so this is something I want to know if I should be concerned with or if I'm just worrying for no reason.

Is there a general consensus on this? It sounded more like controlling their weight would help more than anything.

When Josie was little, we tried to avoid stairs, in favor of taking elevators, ramps, or picking her up. Even now, while we don't totally avoid stairs, we're a little paranoid about her putting too much strain on her legs. She had a soft tissue injury in her foreleg last year (apparently from playing too rough at doggy daycare) and I don't want her to re-injure herself.

Hopping on the couch seems fine though. The bed might be a little high for her, but I don't know... she isn't allowed on the bed anyway.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

as halfway crooks posted:

Corgis are the most smug of all dogs. They know exactly how adorable they are :swoon:

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
For the two people earlier looking for breeders around VA, here is where Gizmo is from http://www.cloverhillfarm.com/Clover%20Hill%20Farm/PWC.htm (do any breeders have a decent website? god drat)

its in Kensale VA and they are very knowledgable and careful with choosing owners. We loved them and she still checks in on Gizmo.

Speaking of Gizmo, here he is waiting to enjoy a baseball game with his mom

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Lola had her second series of shots yesterday, so she should be parvo-proofed! To celebrate we took her on a 10 block walk, her longest yet.

Im still blown away at how drat fearless this dog is. She isnt put off by other people, dogs, or anything. Shes only 15 weeks old but drat has she got swagger.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

streetlamp posted:

For the two people earlier looking for breeders around VA, here is where Gizmo is from http://www.cloverhillfarm.com/Clover%20Hill%20Farm/PWC.htm (do any breeders have a decent website? god drat)

its in Kensale VA and they are very knowledgable and careful with choosing owners. We loved them and she still checks in on Gizmo.

Speaking of Gizmo, here he is waiting to enjoy a baseball game with his mom

Who are gizmo's parents? I ask because our two puppies are from her too.

We have a litter from 3 years ago and about a year and a half ago

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Walnut Creek Bogart and Enchanted Willa

We have run into a few of his half brothers / cousins around Richmond. Gizmo will be 3 in August.

:3:

he1ixx posted:

We were told no jumping for a year. Gizmo eventually learned stairs at about 6 months. But we blocked them off as much as possible. We still attempt to avoid the jumping off the bed (he's almost 3). But it happens.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 5, 2011

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I think I wore my dog out :3:

Shes gotten bigger too :)

I really hate how crappy this picture is though

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Just got a response back from the breeder and my girl is coming home! I decided that I'm gonna call her Pirate :3:

Now the fun (and expensive) part- Getting ready to house another living creature in my home. Anybody know where I can get dog supplies on the cheap? I'm pretty tapped out from buying her :-p

bakahentai
Nov 3, 2003
kuso atama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ygmNsTsHAM

Biggest, baddest dog in the park comes across a turtle. I'm almost ashamed at how jumpy she is.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Crunk Abortion posted:

Just got a response back from the breeder and my girl is coming home! I decided that I'm gonna call her Pirate :3:

Now the fun (and expensive) part- Getting ready to house another living creature in my home. Anybody know where I can get dog supplies on the cheap? I'm pretty tapped out from buying her :-p

We have been buying everything from Amazon. Jeff has Amazon Prime which is a flat rate you pay once a year and then you get free next-day shipping and no tax-- we've DEFINITELY gotten our money's worth. Not everything is cheaper on Amazon, but we found a furminator brush (last year's model) for $18 when the same model was at Petsmart for $80 !

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

aliceamadee posted:

We have been buying everything from Amazon. Jeff has Amazon Prime which is a flat rate you pay once a year and then you get free next-day shipping and no tax-- we've DEFINITELY gotten our money's worth. Not everything is cheaper on Amazon, but we found a furminator brush (last year's model) for $18 when the same model was at Petsmart for $80 !

I have amazon prime for free since I'm a student. I've already found the fornicator and I'm getting that, honestly the only big expense I'm concerned with is getting her a crate. Which one did you guys end up going with?

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Crunk Abortion posted:

I have amazon prime for free since I'm a student. I've already found the fornicator and I'm getting that, honestly the only big expense I'm concerned with is getting her a crate. Which one did you guys end up going with?

ahahahaha

Also, I bought this crate:

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Life-Stages-Double-Door-Folding/dp/B0002AT3M4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307562238&sr=8-1

Still expensive but cheaper than the pet store.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

iPhone autocorrect rules! I get all the best amazon deals for my fornication needs!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

haha fornicate away! :)

we got the same exact crate that kerafyrm did.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Corgi death stare

OH HELLO

Brandy and a cigar please

ITCHES MAKE ME ANGRY

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Crunk Abortion posted:

make sure you put some money away for emergencies!

we are keeping a spreadsheet (NERDS) on googledocs to keep track of expenses like food, leashes, toys, crate, treats, etc. and its remarkable how fast it all adds up. Then there's the vet bills for shots, well check-ups, the unavoidable sick pup visits, getting the dog fixed, microchipped, etc etc.

There are some posts on the puppy thread about expected expenses so take a look just so you don't get caught with you pants down while you're fornicating your dog.

on an unrelated note, aliceamadee won't stop running around saying "puppy, corgi puppy. puppy who's a corgi..." over and over. the 20th is going to be epic for us.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

he1ixx posted:

make sure you put some money away for emergencies!

we are keeping a spreadsheet (NERDS) on googledocs to keep track of expenses like food, leashes, toys, crate, treats, etc. and its remarkable how fast it all adds up. Then there's the vet bills for shots, well check-ups, the unavoidable sick pup visits, getting the dog fixed, microchipped, etc etc.

I like the spread sheet idea, I might fall over and die if I ended seeing how much I've spent on Gizmo... He had lots of tummy issues (Giardia ALOT) and then he's allergic to everything under the sun except tobacco and feathers.

If you're worried about the cost of microchip and fixing. Check with your local SPCA. Ours offers microchipping clinics for 10$ and getting your dog fixed, plus a year of flea and tick meds was like 50 bucks for me. A lot cheaper being a student.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Our clinic here does a full blown 'get it ALL done here' special for new puppies. Vaccinations, fixing, really the works, PLUS a discount on any emergency care over the puppies first year for $300 flat. After learning about that, it removed some of my 'initial puppy expenses' anxiety.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!

anachrodragon posted:

Don't worry about the DM test. It's more for dogs that will be bred, because you want to make sure you don't breed two carriers together. You could still do the genetic test of course, but I don't think it would be that useful. Even if your dog came up with two copies of the mutated gene, I don't think that's a guarantee that she would develop the disease, just a much higher risk.

I absolutely WOULD still test for DM, so you know if you can just enjoy yourself until your dog is ancient, or if you have to start watching for symptoms as they age. If I had known about DM and that Jade had a double gene for it, I could have slowed the progression via supplements and taken measures to extend her physical capabilities for longer than I had with physical therapy. She had symptoms for a year longer than her legs started going, and if I had known, you know? I just thought she was being a belligerent bitch of a dog making GBS threads in my house, but that was the DM breaking down her bowels :(

edit: also what the research facility told us that we sent Jade's initial blood and later spine to said that a double copy almost always will manifest at some point in the dog's life. So, UGH DM sucks

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Uggggh

So, got a call today. The puppy I picked has something off with him and the breeder is unwilling to sell him. He's been really wobbly and having what her and the vet think might be mini seizures. It developed suddenly so she said the vet told her it could have been accidental (such as hitting his head while playing) or neurological, but either way she's uncomfortable with selling him, which I respect her for, but man, puppy. :(

I'm going to look at the little girl she still has available tomorrow, so I may still get a puppy. But man, this knocked the wind out of my sails. :(

She's had both sire and dam tested and it's nothing genetic and all other puppies from this pairing have been fine. They just don't know quite what's wrong with him.

Edit to say that no, it's not distemper or anything.

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 10, 2011

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ugh, what a bummer! Best of luck and let us know what happens! We were so excited to have you a week ahead of us figuring everything out :)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Click for Corgi singing:

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Well, here's how it went!

I went to the breeder's, and we discussed options. I decided that I wasn't ready to tackle a puppy with possible health issues, and so I was introduced to the girl that she hadn't sold yet (the people who were going to get her backed out).

Long story short, she was a super sweet, sociable little puppy, and I decided to go with her.

Car ride home went great, she slept most of the way aside from a few wake-ups to play and beg for attention.

Sorry for crappy cellphone picture, I'll get better pictures later when lighting is better and I'm not dog tired. She's dealing okay in her crate after a few minutes of whining.

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 12, 2011

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Congrats! Post everything so we can live vicariously through you until we get our little guy next Monday!

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Here's some better photos. :)

First night actually went remarkably well. She had one accident right when I got her home, but then she slept most the night. I woke up around 4:30 AM and took her out, she went quickly and then cried for about ~20 minutes before settling down and going back to sleep. My boyfriend is a patient dude, he offered to stay the night and wasn't put off at all by puppy crying, heh.

Woke up at around 8:30 and took her out again, had to rush her outside but she made it. The rest of this morning has been a mixture of playing, puppy napping, and taking her outside when she needs it.

I have her tethered close by me in the living room at the moment, and she's been good. My cats were actually shockingly okay with her. They're fine with her getting within about a foot of them without hissing, but if she tries to play with them they hiss and she gets the hint and leaves them alone.

She's still not eating a bunch (she eats but not very much) but I'm hoping that's just stress.

(And yes, that's a puppy pad in the pic. No, it's not being used for those purposes. I bought a small pack of them for $3 for the ride home so me or the car didn't get peed on, and now they're being used to keep her from sloshing water on the floor.)

I'm not planning on free-feeding, these are just from breakfast time.

She loves this thing.

Dubious cat is dubious.

Tired puppy flop.

Kerafyrm fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 12, 2011

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Great post! We are glad its working out for you. Keep posting pics. We are melting over here.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Oh my goodness. Makes me want to get number two! Please, keep posting pictures. She's sooo sweet!

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Here, have a couple videos.

Forgive the background mess, I just moved a couple weeks ago. Still in the process of unpacking the bedroom.

These were both taken right after dinnertime, hence the food on the bottom of the crate. She's a bit of a fussy eater and pulls out the kibble as she's eating.

She's picking up stuff so fast. I'm using sample-sized rolls of Natural Balance cut up into tiny chunks as training treats and she goes bananas over them. She's already associated clicker with 'treat' and has started picking up on sit. I've been treating her when she potties outside and she even came up to me and whined earlier when she had to go!

Mauling her stuffed lion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUz4X3rnIU

And a bit of fussing and playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heGZ99fqgkM

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
videos are awesome. puppy is awesome. 7 more days for us but the waiting will be awful especially since this week at work is going to be nightmarish.

keep us posted. we're excited for you. that little pup is amazing.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Lola has that same lion :3:

Crate question: We have been using Lolas travel kennel as her home crate, as its plenty big enough for her and theres the bonus of it being 'home' when we take her places. I see a lot of people using crates like whats seen in Kerafyrms videos.

Should we be using a crate styled like that and keep her travel kennel just for travel?

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

CORGI PUPPY!!!!!!!!!! Keep us updated!!! :) This time next Monday we'll have ours!

As for crates-- I've read that travel crates and wire crates are both good. The wire ones have better air circulation which is good in the summer but maybe not so good in the winter. We liked this one because it came with a puppy divider panel which the plastic ones didn't. If you have a crate that works, no need to get another one!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Gray Stormy posted:

Lola has that same lion :3:

Crate question: We have been using Lolas travel kennel as her home crate, as its plenty big enough for her and theres the bonus of it being 'home' when we take her places. I see a lot of people using crates like whats seen in Kerafyrms videos.

Should we be using a crate styled like that and keep her travel kennel just for travel?

What kind of travel crate? If it's a canvas/mesh one, it's not secure and really should only be used as a temp when you're out and about. If it's one of those plastic airliner crates, it really doesn't matter beyond what aliceamadee said.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Gizmo is a ram now

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

^^^ Thats cute as all get-out

a life less posted:

What kind of travel crate? If it's a canvas/mesh one, it's not secure and really should only be used as a temp when you're out and about. If it's one of those plastic airliner crates, it really doesn't matter beyond what aliceamadee said.

Yeah, its a large hard plastic one. Its pretty well ventilated and Lola enjoys it, so Im not going to worry about changing anything.

MurderouslySly
Feb 15, 2008

That Geek Chick
While talking to breeders regarding puppies, I managed to find one that had a 12 month old who she had intended to show but had grown beyond breed standards. We're going to visit him on Sunday, and if all goes well, he'll be coming home with us!

Here's a picture of him looking adorable in thanks for all the help :-)

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

MurderouslySly posted:

While talking to breeders regarding puppies, I managed to find one that had a 12 month old who she had intended to show but had grown beyond breed standards. We're going to visit him on Sunday, and if all goes well, he'll be coming home with us!

Here's a picture of him looking adorable in thanks for all the help :-)

GUUUUUU!!

Holy balls, speaking of breed standard, Corwin just weighed in at 28.8 lbs. He's 9 months old. :3:

MurderouslySly
Feb 15, 2008

That Geek Chick

Wonder Bra posted:

GUUUUUU!!

Holy balls, speaking of breed standard, Corwin just weighed in at 28.8 lbs. He's 9 months old. :3:
Yeah, the breeder figures he'll be 38-40 pounds full grown. Tall/long Corgi is tall/long.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

MurderouslySly posted:

Yeah, the breeder figures he'll be 38-40 pounds full grown. Tall/long Corgi is tall/long.

Wow! That's a big corgi. He's super cute, though. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Goodness, Butters went to the vet a few weeks ago and he was only 15 pounds. He'll be a year old at the end of the month :stare:

• Locked thread