Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
Hey, Bryan played (and then didn't get) my Nicki Minaj/Vince song on B&V today!

Also the TNA review in the Figure Four newsletter this week is not to be missed.

An excerpt:

quote:

TE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Bikeage posted:

Also the TNA review in the Figure Four newsletter this week is not to be missed.

An excerpt:

nice to see someone channeling Kefka in wrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Holy poo poo, the facebook/math debate from this week's show was amazing.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Vinnie is my new favorite person ever. He finally said what I feel about all the music Vinnie plays. They all sound the same.

Haller
Jan 29, 2008

The first five minutes of B&V have been throwaway so far.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

On today's Figure Four Daily, Bryan and Todd talk discuss the physics of a time traveling steel chair going 88mph with a flux capacitor.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Bikeage posted:

I thought that was extremely clever compared to most of the songs played on there. It was great.

Unfortunately that Yappapai Strap Match song after yours completely ruled and overshadowed it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mega GIRL posted:

On today's Figure Four Daily, Bryan and Todd talk discuss the physics of a time traveling steel chair going 88mph with a flux capacitor.

Is it actually entertaining? Todd could make that pretty dull...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

Is it actually entertaining? Todd could make that pretty dull...

Bryan: Did you hear about this angle ROH is doing? RD Evans wrote about a steel chair moving at 88 mph having the potential to send someone back in time!!!!

Todd: *needlessly shits on the idea for 20 minutes*

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I found it hilarious. The whole taking it seriously made it amazing.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

gently caress todd martin

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, the Yappapi song fuckin killed, but thanks for liking mine Neodoomium.

I too have very little patience for Todd Martin. But I am excited for the Konnan show on Friday because he's always a tremendous guest and a whole lot has happened in lucha since he was last on.

My favorite (and first) Konnan show was right after his huge bio in the Observer came out and he, Dr Lucha, and Dave were all on the show running down his whole career.

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS

Bikeage posted:

I too have very little patience for Todd Martin. But I am excited for the Konnan show on Friday because he's always a tremendous guest and a whole lot has happened in lucha since he was last on.

My favorite (and first) Konnan show was right after his huge bio in the Observer came out and he, Dr Lucha, and Dave were all on the show running down his whole career.

Best part about Konnan is at the end of the interview he pulls out a list of questions for Dave and Brian to answer.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bikeage posted:

Was this the Yappapi song they played?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbgAbhHSseM

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It totally freaked me out how they played it dead straight with the ROH angle. Really un-nerving. I thought it was like the 50s and I was reading a pro rasslin mag.

On B&V:
I swear to god, someone has to turn Vinny singing the Nitro theme into a thing with him singing it then "WEEELCOME TO MONDAY NITRO! I'm your host Tony Schiovane and with me is the Living Legend, Larry Zybysko" (cue the world imagining Larry doing that stupid bow he always did during "Living legend.")

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Was this the Yappapi song they played?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbgAbhHSseM

Yes.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

Oh man, the fellas on the LAW are doubling down on the Kia Stevens ranting and it gets uncomfortable.
Agnew should have just said he was sorry.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Sue Denim posted:

Agnew should have just said he was sorry.

I was already starting to get really annoyed with Jason Agnew but this hardheaded poo poo is just ridiculous. That said, it was fun hearing him ask Meltzer's opinion and Meltzer pretty much saying "it's her decision so whatever" was awesome.

At this point I think Agnew is just heeling it up honestly and it's kinda pathetic. Also pathetic is the way this story dominated the show for two weeks. The first week the show was all about Agnew tearing Kong a new one and then the next week the show was all about talking about Agnew tearing Kong a new one. Talk about wrestling you assclowns.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Listened to my first Art of Wrestling podcast this morning with guest Tyson Dux. The only other wrestling podcast I've listened to is Formerly Creative, but as far as podcasts in general go, Colt's has some really good production values + is an entertaining hour. If you aren't listening to it, definitely start. Gonna have to download the previous episodes tonight.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I've been listening to Live Audio Wrestling/Review-a-______ for awhile now and I'm getting tired of some of the relentless negativity. I mean sure, Impact is terrible. WWE is doing a lot of dumb poo poo. But I feel like the positive feedback from them making GBS threads on old lovely PPVs is bleeding through to the point that they feel obligated to find things to 'rant' on every single review.

The "Kia Stevens is STUPID to get pregnant" thing is just the latest iteration of this. There's a lot of willful or actual ignorance -- from their assumption that a joke this week about dick pics on Twitter is 'obviously' a rib on Matt Striker for some nude pic of him leaking a few years ago, to insisting no one has ever heard of Sun Tzu, to being "disgusted" at the "implied rape" involved with Beer Money claiming they will "steal" Matt Hardy's girlfriend. Ric Flair (and more recently the Rock) talked about "kiss stealing" for decades, and by their metric they've been bragging about sexual assault for over thirty years. But James Storm makes a similar comment, and it's a digusting promotional tactic that TNA should be ASHAMED OF.

That said, they still come off as the Smartest Wrestling Fans in the World compared to most of their callers.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Bryan: Did you hear about this angle ROH is doing? RD Evans wrote about a steel chair moving at 88 mph having the potential to send someone back in time!!!!

Todd: *needlessly shits on the idea for 20 minutes*

Todd took it seriously while pointing out the holes in RD Evans' case. It wasn't him making GBS threads on it so much was it him pointing out the holes in the case. If you ever listened to like legal analysis on CNN, they would always have someone who just tore the case apart viciously. Todd was just playing that angle and I thought he was pretty drat good at it.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I still don't get the Todd hate.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Beeswax posted:

he sucks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beeswax posted:

He's boring, he has an annoying voice and is often wrong about really basic things that he rants about. It does not make for enjoyable listening when you hear a guy go on a rant with a premise that is factually false.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

He's boring, he has an annoying voice and is often wrong about really basic things that he rants about. It does not make for enjoyable listening when you hear a guy go on a rant with a premise that is factually false.

he also loves to go on rants where he doesn't even believe or agree with the stance he's taking. he's there to play devil's advocate to bryan and it wears really thin and gets obnoxious as hell after about 2 shows

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I guess you might be right about that. I just find it refreshing to have someone disagree with Bryan about anything from time to time. I mean it's not like Dave/Bryan/Vinny/Lance are ever gonna disagree about... well, anything of significance. After hearing Bryan make some point to Dave on the sunday show, Vinny on the tuesday B&V and then do the same goddamn routine (complete with high pitched shouting) to Lance on Wednesday I'm unironically happy to have someone, anyone, even Todd come in and disagree just so Bryan won't just do the same tired rant for a fourth time.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yeah there have been times where bryan is an annoying idiot too, and i agree with the same rant on multiple shows thing, but todd would disagree with his grandma if it meant he could hear himself talk

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

The Shaman of Cum posted:

yeah there have been times where bryan is an annoying idiot too, and i agree with the same rant on multiple shows thing, but todd would disagree with his grandma if it meant he could hear himself talk

Exactly. Bryan can be annoying as hell from time to time; Todd Martin is an annoying shitbag ALL the time. I cannot stand auto-contrarians.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Vinny and Bryan disagree pretty often and Bryan and Lance often disagree on major things. Especially Divas matches. I think you get a much different perspective on things from Dave and Vinny, with Bryan shifting his views a bit towards Dave because you just can't disagree with Dynamite Dave.

If you want the other side of the coin there is always Wrestling Weekly as Les usually sees things differently than Dave and Bryan.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
Todd pseudo-intellectually playing devil's advocate to Bryan's rants isn't nearly as satisfying as a good Dave-ing.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

If you want the other side of the coin there is always Wrestling Weekly as Les usually sees things differently than Dave and Bryan.

Les sees things differently than most human beings. Do you actually listen to that show?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Les sees things differently than most human beings. Do you actually listen to that show?

I listen to a bit more than half of those shows. Les has good stories and a different view point that at least comes from a lifetime of experience. The show was AWFUL when it debuted on the site a year ago but it has been pretty solid since week 5 or 6.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

I listen to a bit more than half of those shows. Les has good stories and a different view point that at least comes from a lifetime of experience. The show was AWFUL when it debuted on the site a year ago but it has been pretty solid since week 5 or 6.

I listened to a few of the earlier ones and yeah, it was a loving mess. Even with your endorsement, I just don't know if I can bring myself to listen to something featuring Les Thatcher. He is such a moaney, whiny bore on his F4D appearances.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Les is funny. It's like there is a lot of crap, and stuff I can't stand like their prediction contests (Yes I get it you all got it wrong because TNA is retarded) but everyone once in a while Les will you "Hey, this is an aspect of wrestling that I think is really important" and I'll go, poo poo, that's right no wonder I think person X is a better wrestler, because of that little thing.

Once he talked about the most important thing in a hammer lock is your face. I know it's really stupid, but if you look at Brett Hart get or take a hammer lock he's either going "Man i'm really messing with this guy" or "My god this hammer lock is going to break my arm off."

Maybe that's just me.

I've been really digging Lance Storm recently. He's really a funny guy. He just does it in a really deadpan manner. He's probably my 3rd favorite show behind Dynamite Dave and Vinny.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

In defence of the LAW guys, it sounds like since Agnew made those comments 95% of their feedback has been about the Kharma stuff. Probably can't just ignore what their fanbase is being vocal about.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Edge & Christian posted:

I've been listening to Live Audio Wrestling/Review-a-______ for awhile now and I'm getting tired of some of the relentless negativity. I mean sure, Impact is terrible. WWE is doing a lot of dumb poo poo. But I feel like the positive feedback from them making GBS threads on old lovely PPVs is bleeding through to the point that they feel obligated to find things to 'rant' on every single review.

The "Kia Stevens is STUPID to get pregnant" thing is just the latest iteration of this. There's a lot of willful or actual ignorance -- from their assumption that a joke this week about dick pics on Twitter is 'obviously' a rib on Matt Striker for some nude pic of him leaking a few years ago, to insisting no one has ever heard of Sun Tzu, to being "disgusted" at the "implied rape" involved with Beer Money claiming they will "steal" Matt Hardy's girlfriend. Ric Flair (and more recently the Rock) talked about "kiss stealing" for decades, and by their metric they've been bragging about sexual assault for over thirty years. But James Storm makes a similar comment, and it's a digusting promotional tactic that TNA should be ASHAMED OF.

That said, they still come off as the Smartest Wrestling Fans in the World compared to most of their callers.

I agree with all of this. I haven't caught up on the last couple impact/raw reviews but I remember the Sun Tzu thing being almost egregiously stupid, although at least one of the dudes called the other out on it.

I did enjoy their recent PPV review, though, because they sprinkled a liberal amount of audio clips from the PPV itself in, which got the quality across far better than their recap did.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm the guest on After Dark tomorrow. Should be fun considering how carefully I have to watch my language. Can't talk about any specifics.

This might be the worst show ever.

By the way this is a bit late but I heard it and you did good!

--

It's kind of funny because as often as Bryan and Lance Storm agreey, they go round and round for ages when they don't. I still remember how sure Bryan was that Undertaker and Triple H was going to suck and Lance sure Lance was that it was going to be the match of the night.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 10, 2011

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

I agree with all of this. I haven't caught up on the last couple impact/raw reviews but I remember the Sun Tzu thing being almost egregiously stupid, although at least one of the dudes called the other out on it.

I did enjoy their recent PPV review, though, because they sprinkled a liberal amount of audio clips from the PPV itself in, which got the quality across far better than their recap did.

Sometimes I think that Wai's job is to play the devil's advocate for Pollock's anger at the product, and sometimes I think he actually believes what he's saying.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

After Impact's main event tonight, I am looking forward to seeing how many times Brian has to repeat the finish to himself in increasingly higher octaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
Ok, after listening to that Todd/Bryan show, I'm through with this seriously analysing the pro-wrestling business bullshit. I now want all-kayfabe shows all the time.

• Locked thread