Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Phenix Rising posted:

Listened to my first Art of Wrestling podcast this morning with guest Tyson Dux. The only other wrestling podcast I've listened to is Formerly Creative, but as far as podcasts in general go, Colt's has some really good production values + is an entertaining hour. If you aren't listening to it, definitely start. Gonna have to download the previous episodes tonight.
Yeah, Colt's show is what got me into wrestling podcasts (after a brief flirtation with the Rabblecast years ago). These days I pretty much only listen to Lagana's stuff and Colt's podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

If you want the other side of the coin there is always Wrestling Weekly as Les usually sees things differently than Dave and Bryan.

Yeah, but what I wish for is actual debate, not just a different echo chamber. There's no way I put myself through the ordeal of listening to the dead air/stale banter/tired "jokes" that is wrestling weekly, even if there had been potential for spirited discussion. It's just awkward as all hell (and I really did listen to it, way past week 5/6)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

impact review is ace, one of the better in a while

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

The Shaman of Cum posted:

impact review is ace, one of the better in a while

Yeah, drat great stuff. I love how, after recapping the first 45 minutes of the show (which Bryan said were pretty good per Impact standards), Bryan realized it was all total poo poo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that impact review is classic.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I seriously wonder how many people subscribe solely to hear Bryan lose his poo poo at bad Impact is on a weekly basis.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

KIDNAPPING AN AUDIENCE MEMBER!?!? 10 POINTS!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Just letting you know that in the not too distant future there may be a PSPodcast. Help the couple of us that are working to put this together: what are YOU looking for in a wrasslin podcast?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
No one should agree on anything. Debate every point.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

weekly font posted:

Just letting you know that in the not too distant future there may be a PSPodcast. Help the couple of us that are working to put this together: what are YOU looking for in a wrasslin podcast?

A point scoring system ala QI.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

weekly font posted:

Interviews/discussions with wrestlers, or impressions of wrestlers you could not get.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

weekly font posted:

:spergin: about wrestling.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I can sperge about wrestling all day every day.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

HulkaMatt posted:

I can sperge about wrestling all day every day.

420 sperg wrestling every day :catdrugs:

Font, make sure you get Todd Martin on your show. All of them.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

weekly font posted:

Get Captain Charisma to do a weekly short segment on why WWE sucks. Also when discussing the divas, do it in the creepiest way possible.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Grant DaNasty posted:

Get Captain Charisma to do a weekly short segment on why WWE sucks. Also when discussing the divas, do it in the creepiest way possible.

I seriously want this. Him & Cococono should have a segment.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

weekly font posted:

Brent Kremen.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
But seriously I don't know what I would want in a wrestling podcast that I'm not already getting elsewhere.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Grant DaNasty posted:

Or have CC and Jefforsonlives debate different PSP'ers each week. The meltdowns would be great.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

triplexpac posted:

But seriously I don't know what I would want in a wrestling podcast that I'm not already getting elsewhere.

If it's a goofy PSP-centric podcast with people here calling in to talk about stuff like embarrassing wrestling confessions or guilty pleasures, it could be fun. But if it's a serious attempt to be a real wrestling podcast with a couple guys talking about this week in wrestling, it would probably get old quick.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

A segment called "Which Wrestlers Have Stairs In Their House?"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Have someone record a drop for when anyone says something good about WWE.

OH I SEE WE'RE SUPPOSED TO JUST LOVE 100% OF WWE AND ACT LIKE EVERYTHING'S PERFECT I GET IT

And then record a drop for when anyone says something bad about WWE.

YOU JUST CAN'T ADMIT THAT WWE CAN EVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM

Play them after every qualitative statement made.

You'll have an hour a week in no time!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Real answer: I think that most people here are kinda witty and funny, so as long as it doesn't turn into people getting on air and calling other PSPers dicks or jackaninnies, it should be okay.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Capsaicin posted:

Real answer: I think that most people here are kinda witty and funny, so as long as it doesn't turn into people getting on air and calling other PSPers dicks or jackaninnies, it should be okay.

I had never before in my life encountered the word "jackaninny". Urban Dictionary tells me it has something to do with "Massachusetts drivers who have no right to have a drivers' license, usually preceded by various 4 letter words".

I think I would be interested in a podcast centered around calling people jackannnies and other colourful insults.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I live in Mass and I never heard anyone use "jackaninny". I thought it was some type of insult someone like Steven Regal would use.

Jenzar El
Aug 16, 2010

by angerbeet
The two podcasts with Les Thatcher are the best listens. Wrestling Weekly and Ringside Rap.

It's funny that people don't like Les Thatcher because how he views things. You do realize he's not some idiotmark like 99% of the IWC podcast hosts. Dude has been in the business for 50 years and constantly gets praise from Lance Storm for his rants and articles. He's also the reason that wrestling got on TV back in the late 60's and 70's. It's really awful to hear fans do a wrestling podcast and make fun of actual wrestlers opinions who've actually been in the business and have taken real bumps.

Jenzar El fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 10, 2011

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Jenzar El posted:

It's really awful to hear fans do a wrestling podcast and make fun of actual wrestlers opinions who've actually been in the business and took bumps.
I enjoy listening to Les but just because the man was a good wrestler and possibly a good booker at one time doesn't mean he knows what's good for the business going into the next decade. I agree with about half of the stuff he says, mainly the timeless stuff that has drawn money in every decade since the 50's. The other half he's off his rocker on.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jenzar El posted:

It's funny that people don't like Les Thatcher because how he views things. You do realize he's not some idiotmark like 99% of the IWC podcast hosts. Dude has been in the business for 50 years and constantly gets praise from Lance Storm for his rants and articles. He's also the reason that wrestling got on TV back in the late 60's and 70's. It's really awful to hear fans do a wrestling podcast and make fun of actual wrestlers opinions who've actually been in the business and have taken real bumps.

Relatedly, the Honky Tonk Man has a podcast now which is pretty good, in part because for some reason he's a lot less randomly bitter than he used to be and therefore much more willing to talk shop.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Karmine posted:

I was already starting to get really annoyed with Jason Agnew but this hardheaded poo poo is just ridiculous. That said, it was fun hearing him ask Meltzer's opinion and Meltzer pretty much saying "it's her decision so whatever" was awesome.
That was amazing.

Guys there's a new Wrestlecast interview with Kurt Angle and it has crazy hilarious plugs for Angle foods in it, the interviewer asks him if he's spoken to Brock Lesnar lately and Kurt goes on about how he has a product by Angle foods that aids digestion that he really wans to talk to him about.

Wrestleast, on I-tunes, Check it out.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 10, 2011

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I want real time TNA reviews

2 hours every week

I want to hear the happiness leave your soul

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Jenzar El posted:

The two podcasts with Les Thatcher are the best listens. Wrestling Weekly and Ringside Rap.

This was a ton meaner the first time around, but I didn't intend it to be.

First things part, as far as your bolded point goes, this is irrelevant. Nonwrestlers have had some of the greatest wrestling minds in wrestling history: Sam Muchnick, Vince McMahon (Wrestlemania era), Jim Barnett, and the list goes on. Ring savvy does not necessarily translate to savvy on a creative or booking front.

Les Thatcher, it should be noted, was clearly a great mind for the business. He was a good wrestler, introduced some interesting concepts, and trained a gently caress ton of people. No one is questioning his accomplishments.

However, he has a view of wrestling done a certain way with little-to-no possible variation. Wrestling isn't wrestling if it isn't done the way he wants it done. It's similar to Bill Watts, who was at one point a magnificent booker, one of the best ever, but when Mid-South closed up and he went away for several years, the business had passed him by when he made his return. That isn't exactly apples-to-apples, as Les has still remained successful as far as his trainees go, but his opinion on modern wrestling is a bit stifled.

He once said something to the effect that Chikara was some of the worst garbage he had ever seen. I don't know the exact quote, but he outright dismissed it as legitimate wrestling. To me, that's a poor way of looking at things, because Chikara has clearly found a niche, and if you can convince people to pay for your wrestling product, you are legitimate pro wrestling.

And that's why I don't care to listen to Les. He's overly confrontational, and has a very "I'm right, you're wrong" way of looking at opinions. I'll never discredit his accomplishments, either as a wrestler, announcer, host, creative mind, trainer, etc.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A lot of retired workers really hate CHIKARA because it is really business exposing. In the sense that if you didn't know wrestling was real and you saw a CHIKARA match you'd go "Oh, wow... this is fake." Most retired wrestlers grew up being told DON'T EXPOSE THE BUSINESS and so they hate it when any company slaps them in the face with WRESTLING IS FAKE. Les and Lance Storm see CHIKARA that way, and really that is the way it is. You can't really do comedy matches without making wrestling look incredibly fake.

At this point that viewpoint is pretty outdated for any fan, but I can respect that if your entire life was pro wrestling something like CHIKARA might offend that core of your life's work.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

At this point that viewpoint is pretty outdated for any fan, but I can respect that if your entire life was pro wrestling something like CHIKARA might offend that core of your life's work.

That's very well put, but it makes me want to try to trick Les into watching and reviewing Boner Jam.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Akileese posted:

KIDNAPPING AN AUDIENCE MEMBER!?!? 10 POINTS!

I was laughing my rear end of at this. I can't believe that's really in the TNA Fantasy game.

Get The Pinfall: 1 Point
Ref Bump: 20 points
Kidnap Audience Member: 10 Points

Just loving bizarre.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jenzar El posted:

In the second episode someone on Wrestling Weekly pretty much said 'If you've never been in the ring you're not allowed to have an opinion on wrestling' and at that point I shut it off and never listened to it again.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
I can't listen to Wrestling Weekly, mainly because that whistling sound that Les makes whenever he says a word with the letter 's' in it drives me loving crazy after 30 seconds. Which is too bad, because even though I don't always agree with him, he can certainly speak with some authority about the business and I like to hear his perspective on the current product.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Deadpool posted:

I was laughing my rear end of at this. I can't believe that's really in the TNA Fantasy game.

Get The Pinfall: 1 Point
Ref Bump: 20 points
Kidnap Audience Member: 10 Points

Just loving bizarre.
I was listening to that and convinced that A) it wasn't real and B) someone had gotten a hold of our impact bingo cards.

Pipe makes an appearance? FIFTY POINTS!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The thing about the TNA Fantasy game is it isn't about picking people you think will win. It's people who clearly break the rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

weekly font posted:

Get me to read my custom title before every podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Konnan's response to Dr Lucha bringing up Granny was hilarious. "Granny? Who's granny? Your grandma?"

• Locked thread