Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casque
Mar 17, 2009
The f650 didn't work out.

Any thoughts on the following for a first bike?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2415201426.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2428790881.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

casque posted:

The f650 didn't work out.

Any thoughts on the following for a first bike?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2415201426.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2428790881.html

Clearly for a first bike you should buy my awesome Ninja when I have to sell it to get a Honda CB hahaahhaah

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Following this thread really chokes me up about how much cheaper bikes are in the US compared to Atlantic Canada. Right now some guy in my area is expecting to get $3000 for a newish Ninja 650 that's been dropped, scratched and dented, and missing front fairings. Meanwhile any bike from the last 15 years is going for $4000+ regardless of age, size or mileage.

HammerOfHope fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 9, 2011

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just picked up the SV650! I'm in love. It's so much faster than my 'Hawk that it makes my eyes bleed (and I think it has an aftermarket exhaust, unless the '99 SV's came with yoshimura ones). There's a problem with the shift linkage lever, but I posted about it over in the SV thread and I'm hoping to fix it up tomorrow. :dance: I have a big-boy bike now...kind of!

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
I am totally new to riding and will be taking a motorcycle safety course in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty cautious and don't intend to go crazy off the bat. I'm going to wait until after the class to buy a bike, and I intend on practicing in a parking lot before taking it out on the street. Even then, taking it out on early mornings to get a feel for everything while traffic is low.

I'd like a Harley. But it looks like they have a lot of big bikes. I am guessing the 1200 sportster is considered too big for a beginner?

I intend on buying used. I'd like a cruiser type of bike, not a crotch rocket. I prefer a more traditional look. I'd like to spend under 7,000 initially.

I'm 6'1" and 175lbs, if that matters. Something super low would probably not work very well for me.

Any recommendations?

*edit*
It looks like the 1200 is about 60-65 HP, depending on the year. This is right on the threshold listed in the OP. A lot of beginner websites don't recommend anything over 600cc. What are some thoughts on that? Is that pretty conservative, or should you really stick to something small?

Stryguy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 9, 2011

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Stryguy posted:

I am totally new to riding and will be taking a motorcycle safety course in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty cautious and don't intend to go crazy off the bat. I'm going to wait until after the class to buy a bike, and I intend on practicing in a parking lot before taking it out on the street. Even then, taking it out on early mornings to get a feel for everything while traffic is low.

I'd like a Harley. But it looks like they have a lot of big bikes. I am guessing the 1200 sportster is considered too big for a beginner?

I intend on buying used. I'd like a cruiser type of bike, not a crotch rocket. I prefer a more traditional look. I'd like to spend under 7,000 initially.

I'm 6'1" and 175lbs, if that matters. Something super low would probably not work very well for me.

Any recommendations?

*edit*
It looks like the 1200 is about 60-65 HP, depending on the year. This is right on the threshold listed in the OP. A lot of beginner websites don't recommend anything over 600cc. What are some thoughts on that? Is that pretty conservative, or should you really stick to something small?

There's a 99.9% chance that you're going to drop your first bike. Buy something cheap that you won't mind dropping. I can't give you any specific examples because I don't originate from America so I don't know what's good and what's not.

Most 250s would be nice, though. :keke:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stryguy posted:

*edit*
You could certainly do a lot worse, but you could still do better. The newbie guides are generally geared towards sport riders, but even then, going by displacement is not really the best idea. At any rate, you'd probably be better served looking for an older 600-800cc cruiser (obviously this will almost certainly be Japanese) if that's what you're looking for. As noted, you won't feel as bad if you drop it. There's tons out there in good condition for cheap since every Japanese manufacturer makes something that fits that description.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I rented a 883 in Maui last year. It was seriously one of the most difficult to handle bikes at slow speeds I'd ever ridden. In my opinion it's not a beginner bike because of the weight/top heavy nature of the bike. It's also just an ill handling piece of poo poo when moving too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Stryguy posted:

Any recommendations?

Sportsters feel pretty heavy for their size at a stop, that's not a real good thing for a new rider. Endless Mike is right, you'll probably drop it, and you want to drop something cheap until you stop dropping. The problem with Harleys is they're not cheap.

I started on a 1500cc Vulcan and I am still around, so I won't tell you to get something little or slow [although the Vulcan was pretty little]. Just get something that isn't going to break your heart when it gets all marred up.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Endless Mike posted:

You could certainly do a lot worse, but you could still do better. The newbie guides are generally geared towards sport riders, but even then, going by displacement is not really the best idea. At any rate, you'd probably be better served looking for an older 600-800cc cruiser (obviously this will almost certainly be Japanese) if that's what you're looking for. As noted, you won't feel as bad if you drop it. There's tons out there in good condition for cheap since every Japanese manufacturer makes something that fits that description.

Seconding this, there are a lot of options in the 500-650cc range for cruisers, especially used. You could probably pick up a good used low mileage for 3k. Any of the VStar, Vulcan or Shadow lines are good bikes that can be had for that much.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For a cruiser I would look at 800-1100cc to push all the chrome around. They really need the displacement. Especially if you're 6'1", a 650 will be a clown bike.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

HammerOfHope posted:

Following this thread really chokes me up about how much cheaper bikes are in the US compared to Atlantic Canada. Right now some guy in my area is expecting to get $3000 for a newish Ninja 650 that's been dropped, scratched and dented, and missing front fairings. Meanwhile any bike from the last 15 years is going for $4000+ regardless of age, size or mileage.

You and me both. Try buying vintage scooters.. I drove to Saint John from Halifax to buy a P200E. I showed up for a local scoot ride back in Halifax, everyone knew where I got it with out even asking. I just got there first with the money. That's how few vintage scoots are in A.C. though. I have noticed that the price of KLRs has gone down though.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
So other than Craigslist, Cycletrader and Ebay are there any other good online options for looking at bikes? I'm on the lookout for a Street Triple but it seems only new ones are for sale around the entire country.

Any good national craigslist search sites left? loving retarded that CL took down those sites a year or two back.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
Thanks for the input. I take my class in a couple of weeks, and after that I'll start seriously looking at bikes. I figure I'll have to see what I am physically comfortable on and then take it from there.

I've never even ridden a motorcycle before, so I am a little nervous about it. Luckily I'll be on the little 250cc bikes for the class :).

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

shaitan posted:

So other than Craigslist, Cycletrader and Ebay are there any other good online options for looking at bikes? I'm on the lookout for a Street Triple but it seems only new ones are for sale around the entire country.

Any good national craigslist search sites left? loving retarded that CL took down those sites a year or two back.

Try model and make specific forums.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm 6'2", 230lbs, taking MSF in early July. Live in Southern Arizona.
Haven't looked long, and I'm across the country right now so I can't check if they have many better options, but I'm liking http://www.ironhorsemotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=09109308X6K13K2011J8I41I55JPMQ6197R0&veh=2136&pov=2153279

Since the poster at the top of the page was looking at ~$1500 for an older version.. is $5k with all those goodies a decent price at all? Or do I need to keep looking around more?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

$5k seems expensive, but I honestly have no idea what the BMW market is like.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

$5k seems expensive, but I honestly have no idea what the BMW market is like.

It does seem like a hell of a lot for a commuter single with apparently overlander pretensions. I don't know what the supply of very smooth unsurfaced roads is like in Arizona - I guess the F650 is good if you want to tour around on those.

If you're asking whether it has $3,500 worth of extras on it - no. AFAIK despite revising it a few times, the F650 is a very average 650 single in a steel frame. It's not worth paying a premium for.

BMW dealerships aren't usually the place to find cheap, economical first bikes. They like selling $10k+ boxers to lawyers and accountants.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

I like turtles posted:

I'm 6'2", 230lbs, taking MSF in early July. Live in Southern Arizona.
Haven't looked long, and I'm across the country right now so I can't check if they have many better options, but I'm liking http://www.ironhorsemotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=09109308X6K13K2011J8I41I55JPMQ6197R0&veh=2136&pov=2153279

Since the poster at the top of the page was looking at ~$1500 for an older version.. is $5k with all those goodies a decent price at all? Or do I need to keep looking around more?

Iron Horse is a bit expensive. Advrider.com has a large meetup here in Tucson once a month, you may try out their website and see if anyone's selling their stuff. Armachan or Becktastic could probably point you toward local sellers of Adventure bikes as well if that's the market you're looking to get in to.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Anyone in the market for a scrambler? It seems to be in decent shape.
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/mcy/2439907221.html

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

NipplesTheCat posted:

Iron Horse is a bit expensive. Advrider.com has a large meetup here in Tucson once a month, you may try out their website and see if anyone's selling their stuff. Armachan or Becktastic could probably point you toward local sellers of Adventure bikes as well if that's the market you're looking to get in to.

Cool, yeah, I know both of them personally, but becktastic is easier to get a hold of nowdays. I'll do my MSF and Becktastic said she'd show me some stuff on her bike.

Yelp doesn't seem to have much on the local shops in town - are there any shops with particularly good or bad reputations?

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Cool, yeah, I know both of them personally, but becktastic is easier to get a hold of nowdays. I'll do my MSF and Becktastic said she'd show me some stuff on her bike.

Yelp doesn't seem to have much on the local shops in town - are there any shops with particularly good or bad reputations?

As far as dealerships go, stay away from CSA, Renaissance and Performance Cycle Center. CSA sells used bikes, and everyone I know who's bought from them have had issues. Renaissance is our local Ducati/Aprilia dealer and the snobbery is as strong as you might think. Performance Cycle has some of the worst customer service that I've ever experienced, and everyone I know who's bought from them is regretful they did. As with all dealers, ymmv.

As far as the local B&M gear shops, etc, go, my personal favorite is On Any Moto. The guys down there have taken care of me on numerous occasions, and they always go out of their way for the customer. I've also heard lots of good things about Evans Steel performance and Iron Horse, though don't have any personal experience with them.

If you do end up with a BMW, it's helpful to know the On Any Moto techs are actually certified on BMW's. They do work on the Marana PD police bikes, as well as Oro Valley. Actually, I can't recommend that shop enough and highly suggest stopping in there at least. Feel free to namedrop me if you do go down there (Jay).

Edit: Oh, if you ever need any help with any of the bike stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM. Happy to help with whatever I can.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yay :neckbeard: tomorrow I'll be riding a '07 CBR600RR that a friend of mine is selling. Earlier today before I found out about the CBR, I went to a local dealership and drooled over the SS's. The Yamaha's, gixxers, and ninjas were pretty cool but were just something about the CBRs.

Looking up the '07 reviews, apparently they weight 340 pounds dry, pretty impressive for such a bike. I compared the CBR hp/torque curves with those for my SV650's. Almost equivalent in torque output, and they're apparently the most "streetable" 600SS's.

My friend posted it for $7500 and is open to negotiation. He bought it new and has maintained it meticulously since then, sticking it in heated storage for the long Rochester winter and only slapping on sliders and installing a HID kit. It has 22xx miles on it. I know he isn't like the like CBR seller I saw, who had kept his CBR's revs low "all the way."

I looked up mcnews' used bike prices and '07's run for $5800. Anything to look for? What does wheelie abuse evidence include - worn sprockets?

his ad: http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2437143845.html

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Fork seals being blown can be a sign of hard wheelie drops.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

$7500 is horribly overpriced for an '07.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Impeccable bike. Test-rode it. Quite a different character from my SV650. The bike has nothing added to it except HID lighting, miscellaneous carbon fiber decorations and sliders. He has documented tune-ups at 600-1500-2000 miles (or around there) since he bought it in 2007.

He said he'd go down to $7000 for me. What should this bike be priced?

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 16, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the walkin dude posted:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Impeccable bike. Test-rode it. Quite a different character from my SV650. The bike has nothing added to it except HID lighting, miscellaneous carbon fiber decorations and sliders. He has documented tune-ups at 600-1500-2000 miles (or around there) since he bought it in 2007.

He said he'd go down to $7000 for me. What should this bike be priced?

5k.

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.

shaitan posted:

Try statewidelist

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I probably should buy this for $2100, right?

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 16, 2011

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

shaitan posted:

I always use crazedlist. Disable refer headers or whatever and stick to a region.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I think this is the appropriate thread to ask, but if not I'm sorry. I'll be taking my MSF soon and have been looking around for a bike. So far, I've taken a liking to the 2011 CBR250R. It seems like a nice starter bike, but since I'm new, I don't know if this is a stupid bike to go with for a newbie.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

I think this is the appropriate thread to ask, but if not I'm sorry. I'll be taking my MSF soon and have been looking around for a bike. So far, I've taken a liking to the 2011 CBR250R. It seems like a nice starter bike, but since I'm new, I don't know if this is a stupid bike to go with for a newbie.

It's a good beginner bike if you don't mind spending that amount of money, then probably scratching it up if/when you drop it. I'd probably look at spending less money, but if that part doesn't bother you, go for it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Weight and power wise, perfect. Ergonomics, probably fine but always personal.

How are you going to feel when you put dents and/or scratches on it? Because chances are, like the rest of us, you're going to drop it at zero miles per hour.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Get the ABS model and it'll hold its value better, plus, ABS is good for beginners.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I don't think I'll mind that. It seems like a natural part of life. There's an opinion somewhere that the Kawasaki 250R would be a better starter bike than the CBR I'm looking at. Is that true/false/stupid? Sorry for the mundane questions, but I don't want to make a purchase that I will regret. As far as the money goes, I don't mind spending anything below 5 grand as long as it's not a rip off.

Spiffness posted:

Get the ABS model and it'll hold its value better, plus, ABS is good for beginners.

That's the plan (if I get it). Thank you for making me feel better about that.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They'll have slightly different ergonomics, look at the handlebars or go to http://cycle-ergo.com to check out that. The way the motor makes power will be slightly different but I don't know if one is better or worse.

You'd be better buying slightly used, I think most would suggest, but in the case of the 250r it's just been released eh?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't think I'll mind that. It seems like a natural part of life. There's an opinion somewhere that the Kawasaki 250R would be a better starter bike than the CBR I'm looking at. Is that true/false/stupid? Sorry for the mundane questions, but I don't want to make a purchase that I will regret. As far as the money goes, I don't mind spending anything below 5 grand as long as it's not a rip off.

Like the bigger sportbikes, a lot of it simply comes down to "buy whichever you think looks better" and you'll probably be happy with it. The Ninja seems to have better performance, but the Honda has fuel injection and more comfort. Makes me wonder if Kawasaki is gonna fuel inject the 250r soon.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/9134/Motorcycle-Article/Honda-CBR250R-vs-Kawasaki-Ninja-250R.aspx

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Kawasaki could bring FI to the 250r in the USA, probably make it about 500$ more though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ryuga Death posted:

If you buy a CBR250, you need to buy one with ABS. That is the only reason to buy one. If you can't get one with ABS, get the Ninja 250 instead.

The ninja 250 will handle freeway better, is somewhat more powerful, (2 cylinder engine on the ninja makes better power than the single on the CBR). But if you don't do a lot of freeway, then the CBR will be a good choice, and the ABS is a HUGE incentive for new riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royale with Cheese
Jul 26, 2006

They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.

BradleyJamers posted:

The speed 4 is nice if you can stand the color and it runs good and is in good shape.

Ended up buying the Speed 4 as an afternote -

'03 model, 3 previous owners, No accidents, a little under 10,500 miles.
Frame sliders and bar end sliders installed.

It rides wonderfully and I think I got a steal at $2800.