Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My thoughts on this series as it currently stands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onWNxvSLVk&t=43s

Ippo vs Miyata. Then end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU, MORIKAWA.

:wtc:

That just happened. He really drew out TWO loving PUNCHES over seven chapters then ended the fight. I'm honestly not sure if that is better or worse than Woli or GODMODE.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 11, 2011

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Ippo is a murderer. No way that guy isn't dead. Ippo shall never fight again. End manga. Start on new baseball manga in which the main character is a fishermans son and has arms that throw 500mph fastballs. Only problem he was hit in the head with a fish as a kid and blind. Can Ippo pitch his team to koushien?!?!?!?

surgical scar
Nov 8, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hope everyone's looking forward to the 30-50 chapters it'll take for Ippo to overcome his guilt from having killed someone.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I'm just gonna make my prediction that by the time we hit chapter 1000 (and we will hit it) that nothing will have changed. Ippo will still be the Japanese champion and he will not have fought Miyata or anything like that, just one or two more local goombas and maybe a sideshow fight from Takamura or Aokimuragaki.

Also, why are they flipping out about the two weight classes thing? The guy has to burn away a lot of muscle just to reach Featherweight, so being able to flip him has nothing do with his former weightclass.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
If you kill someone in the ring in "professional" boxing does that even mean you'll get a lifetime ban?

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
There have been a few cases of damage from a fight leading to death, but they were never treated as murder or manslaughter.

Hey, I just got it. Ippo is so down because he just realized what a sham this whole fight was.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked that chapter.

Took too long leading up to it though.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This chapter was exactly what I was hoping it would be, a one hit KO. Anything else would have been atrocious and it was fairly satisfying as well. I don't see why you guys hate this chapter so much?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mori feeds on hate. He loves the taste, and will do anything to harvest the bitter tears of his fans.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Nilbop posted:

If you kill someone in the ring in "professional" boxing does that even mean you'll get a lifetime ban?

Nope, because everyone involved knows that's one of the risks, and that's the reason there are doctors, a referee and trainers that can stop the fight at any time, if it even looks like one of the fighters will end up badly injured.

Then again, not many people can go on living knowing they killed someone with their own hands :smith:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Hahaha, Oh SNAP! Thats the sound of his neck...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kal-L posted:

Nope, because everyone involved knows that's one of the risks, and that's the reason there are doctors, a referee and trainers that can stop the fight at any time, if it even looks like one of the fighters will end up badly injured.

Then again, not many people can go on living knowing they killed someone with their own hands :smith:

Huh? It isn't as though murder or even accidental manslaughter is some bizarre aberration virtually unknown throughout human history. Humans have killed humans for as long as there have been humans. Most of them live with it just fine.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Woot, a thing happened.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey coach! It's obvious Ippo has the biggest defensive and offensive power in the whole Island. He also has the biggest Japanese spirit (and dick!). Would you kindly let him fight somewhere else?

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!

WeaponBoy posted:

Also, why are they flipping out about the two weight classes thing? The guy has to burn away a lot of muscle just to reach Featherweight, so being able to flip him has nothing do with his former weightclass.

Yeah seriously if anything that just means that he's way weaker than Ippo

OH MAN THAT GUY USED TO BE SIX FOOT FIVE AND BUILT LIKE A BRICK SHITHOUSE OH MAN except now he's six foot five and 128 pounds and built like a concentration camp inmate

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Well I guess the spirit bomb punch finally paid off.

This is also the quick, Ippo dominating fight that we were all clamouring for. Doesn't feel that satisfying though.

Hortism fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 11, 2011

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
This was the best chapter and it's why I read this stupid comic. I hope Ippo becomes stone cold now and is like, "Stop feeding me this trash and let me fight a real opponent."

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sir Lucius posted:

This was the best chapter and it's why I read this stupid comic. I hope Ippo becomes stone cold now and is like, "Stop feeding me this trash and let me fight a real opponent."

Haha, the optimism is hilarious.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
The chapter previous said something about a color counterattack.

WHERE IS MY COLOR COUNTERATTACK.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sir Lucius posted:

It's almost like you're expecting the characters to somehow... develop?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Haha, yeah and then maybe he'll gently caress Kumi and beat Miyata and take on Ricardo Martinez!!! (None of this will happen within out lifetimes)

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
None of you love boxing enough :colbert:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't get why everyone is mad. This is exactly what I was kinda hoping would happen because it would mean the fight is over.

Seriously, you wanted another 40 chapter slogfest for a loving title defense? He hit the dude so hard it looked like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Ippo actually decisively put someone down for once instead of ending the fight looking like he fell into a wood chipper.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Sir Lucius posted:

None of you love boxing enough :colbert:

You misunderstand, we all WANT that to happen, but we know it wont.

Fabricated posted:

I don't get why everyone is mad. This is exactly what I was kinda hoping would happen because it would mean the fight is over.

Seriously, you wanted another 40 chapter slogfest for a loving title defense? He hit the dude so hard it looked like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Ippo actually decisively put someone down for once instead of ending the fight looking like he fell into a wood chipper.

I think everyone is pissed because that could have happened in the second chapter and it would have been way better for it. I liked the chapter too but have been extremely annoyed by the whole thing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Because it took 23 chapters to do something that could have been done in 5.

"I know how to beat him!"
"Hey Ippo your previous opponents were chumps!"
"Annoying him was a clever ruse to pull off my actual plan!"
"AHA it worked! Oh fuuucc.." *BLAMMO*
"GIVE MY REGARDS TO THE CRIPPLE DOCTOR!"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The punch should have flipped him over to an open grave where Ippo would be waiting with a shovel to finish burying him.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
I'm pretty certain the last twentysomething chapters were all for the sake of making a huge point that counters can't beat Ippo. A while back we saw Miyata basically saying "I could beat Ippo with a counter, I'm the only one with the guts and skill to do it." Now we see that even though Ippo took a full on counter from some big dude square in the face, one that even Miyata said was "perfect", and ippo just hops back up and loving destroys him. Basically this is nothing but an extension of the whole Ippo vs Miyata thing, and now Miyata is probably going to be making GBS threads himself in disbelief.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I can't believe that all I want from the next chapter is Miyata losing his poo poo over this.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh? It isn't as though murder or even accidental manslaughter is some bizarre aberration virtually unknown throughout human history. Humans have killed humans for as long as there have been humans. Most of them live with it just fine.

Haha yeah man killing is no problem and totally a cool and easy thing to get over especially when you aren't a sociopath and didn't intentionally do it

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Also throw me in with everyone annoyed that this took 20+ chapters. Also Ippo leaving the ring like a dick was annoying too. Sour taste, the whole deal.

What fights does the series still HAVE to deliver? Ippo v Sendo III, Ippo v Miyata, Ippo v Itagaki, Ippo v Martinez are the four certain ones I see for him, with at least a filler in between each one (if we go back to the GOOD pacing of the series, god knows if we continue the current pace)

Takamura still has four weight classes to slug through, with maybe a loss thrown in there, so thats like 6 fights..

Itakagi is going to probably take the Japanese title at some point with a bunch of poo poo filler in there, same with Aokimura.

Miyata probably has some random bouts in there as well. We're still promised at least like 15+ main story arc fights, with filler. gently caress sake this is going to be a long as manga

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
New chapter, manga is still retarded. People make fun of DBZ all the time, but this manga has objectively been worse than DBZ or Bleach since Woli.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well what do you know. I'm overall lukewarm on this chapter. On one hand, it's nice that Ippo finally showed that he is good at boxing. On the other hand, this had way too much stupid buildup. Also, I don't like that Ippo's overall boxing strategy is take punches to the face.

I guess I'll keep looking at this, but I'm still not amazingly pleased with the story.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

tbp posted:

Don't worry, it'll be cancelled before any of that happens!

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Matlock Birthmark posted:

On one hand, it's nice that Ippo finally showed that he is good at boxing.

But he's not. He's just won't die. He was hit with a PERFECT counter. It looked like his neck snapped, there was even some brain damage. But he just won't die. Why won't he die?!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

But he's not. He's just won't die. He was hit with a PERFECT counter. It looked like his neck snapped, there was even some brain damage. But he just won't die. Why won't he die?!

Exactly, blocking the perfect counter with ones face doesn't make a good boxer. It just means he has a ball of cement for a brain.

If Ippo had been a good boxer, he would have taken advantage of the fact that was obvious to everyone: the guy he was fighting didn't have a prayer of surviving till later rounds because of weight management destroying his stamina. Just draw the fight out carefully for four or five rounds, and the guy would be about as ready to throw a counter as a sack of half rotten potatoes. At which point a stamina monster like Ippo could wail on him like a red headed step child without taking a single jab of return fire. And we would like it because if drawn out to the same length it would be a brutal tear down like Martinez vs Date was (if I'm remembering the names right...).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Remember that whole thing about the challenger has anyone ever typed his name had a bust up hand and everything? Remember how that went somewhere? How it later factored into the fight and we were all "oooo, how is this tasty new parcel of info going to effect the boxing match?"

What was the point of that?!

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

Nilbop posted:

What was the point of that?!

He couldn't really box anymore, because he only has one loving hand, so he decided to go out on top by having a title match with his favorite boxer. It's one of the reasons he bet everything on a counter. He literally can not box very well, because he only has one hand.

That was the point of that.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Wong Dongson posted:

He couldn't really box anymore, because he only has one loving hand, so he decided to go out on top by having a title match with his favorite boxer. It's one of the reasons he bet everything on a counter. He literally can not box very well, because he only has one hand.

That was the point of that.

Huh, you know that doesn't sound that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Fabricated posted:

A combination of this result taking way too long and fans never actually knowing what they want.