Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

aventari posted:

w00t track day on Friday :)

Gonna be a little cramped for the 4 hour drive.. each way

:stare:

That is some impressive packing. You didn't even have to use the deck.

Could you put the top up if you needed to?

Edit: Yeah, I don't see anything in the way. Goddamn.

What size wheels/tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My 94 burns way too much loving oil. I just did a change today, and after only 5000 miles or so, there's only two quarts of oil left in the engine. Where's it all going. Are there any particular seals I can have my mechanic look at, or common issues?

He took a brief glance today because he said it sounded like I had a truck engine in the thing, but he usually does old Chevy stuff so he's not overly familiar with the 1.8 mazda. Any tips to help point him in the right direction?

edit: The car has about 143,000 miles on it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

mobn posted:

My 94 burns way too much loving oil. I just did a change today, and after only 5000 miles or so, there's only two quarts of oil left in the engine. Where's it all going. Are there any particular seals I can have my mechanic look at, or common issues?

He took a brief glance today because he said it sounded like I had a truck engine in the thing, but he usually does old Chevy stuff so he's not overly familiar with the 1.8 mazda. Any tips to help point him in the right direction?

edit: The car has about 143,000 miles on it.

When's the last time you replaced the PCV valve. My 95 burned about half a quart a month until I did that and almost none since.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

While 2qt burned in 5000 miles is not exactly healthy, that really isn't all that excessive, either - that's under half a quart every 1000 miles. Check the oil every other tank of gas and you'll probably end up topping it off every four to eight tanks.

The most common seals would be the cam and/or crank seals. The front cam and crank seals can only be done if you pull the timing belt off, and the rear crank seal can only be done if you pull the clutch. I honestly don't recall if the Miata has seals on the back end of the cams, I don't think it does.

With that many miles on the car and that relatively low consumption, I'd live with it unless it gets significantly worse or if it's causing another problem (front seals will eventually cause a timing belt failure, rear crank would ruin the clutch)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You didn't check the oil over 5000 miles? Running it a bunch low on oil probably will make it burn oil :).

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Got P0402 the other day.

Took my upper intake manifold off today and cleaned the poo poo out of it with TB cleaner and reset CEL. Drove about 50 miles yesterday and it hasn't come back yet.

Fingers crossed.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I'm getting a p0421 :( I have a raceland header on my CA 99 model with the o2 sensors relocated to the rear cat. I'm 99% sure I don't have an exhaust leak. No ideas when the o2's were replaced and the cat looks original at 80k miles.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

First Time Caller posted:

Fingers crossed.

100 miles. I'm good.

aventari posted:

and the cat looks original at 80k miles.

Warranty is up at 80k I believe.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 6, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Welp, I just don't think I can bring myself to sell my 95M. I took it out for a spin for the first time in 2 weeks since I bought my E46. I'm getting it detailed tomorrow, and I was doing it with intent to sell it this week, but my quick spin turned into almost 2 hours on several of my favorite roads. I just don't know that I can part with it. :3:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Guinness posted:

Welp, I just don't think I can bring myself to sell my 95M. I took it out for a spin for the first time in 2 weeks since I bought my E46. I'm getting it detailed tomorrow, and I was doing it with intent to sell it this week, but my quick spin turned into almost 2 hours on several of my favorite roads. I just don't know that I can part with it. :3:

If you make the poor decision to sell it (don't) I know of a few good people who won't beat on it, rice it out, and generally really appreciate the car the way it deserves to be. PM me if you ever do decide to sell.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

First Time Caller posted:

Got P0402 the other day.

Took my upper intake manifold off today and cleaned the poo poo out of it with TB cleaner and reset CEL. Drove about 50 miles yesterday and it hasn't come back yet.

Fingers crossed.

I keep getting a P0470 that will come for a week, and disappear for a week.

I should go and clean my EGR valve but :effort:.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Ziploc posted:

I keep getting a P0470 that will come for a week, and disappear for a week.

I should go and clean my EGR valve but :effort:.

It only took me like an hour, and I have a strut tower brace that needed to come off. I only did the upper intake manifold. I'll probably get the code again in a year or two and have to clean the entire egr tunnel.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

If you make the poor decision to sell it (don't) I know of a few good people who won't beat on it, rice it out, and generally really appreciate the car the way it deserves to be. PM me if you ever do decide to sell.

It's really going to depend on whether I can figure out a good place to keep it. I only have one spot in my apartment, and the street parking is atrociously bad (in terms of availability and likelihood of bumper damage) and patrolled by meter maids constantly.

I've got a short-term arrangement for the time being, and I'm moving in about two months but no guarantees I'll have space for 2 cars wherever I land, either. So we'll see. If I can make keeping it feasible, I will.

On a related note, I dropped it off at the detailer this morning and I'm looking forward to the results!

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

My front lip separated from the bumper today :v:
I think this earns me a ricer merit badge?

The self tapping screws used to hold it on are ding-dongs.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Report: Mazda Targets 700-pound Weight Reduction for Next Gen Miata

Man oh man with the S2K off the market I think I know what my first (and last?) new car ever is going to be...

quote:

Nearly three years ago, Mazda announced intentions to reduce its fleet wide fuel consumption by 30 percent before the year 2015. The reduction in fuel consumption for its models would mostly come from a reduction in weight for its next generation models and reduced dimensions of its vehicles (with a few rare exceptions, when a next generation of a vehicle is introduced, it is often larger and heavier than the model it replaces).

Mazda is looking to remove an extraordinary amount of weight from the next generation MX-5 (better known as the Miata in North America). The NC (third generation) Miata isn't exactly a pig, as it weighs 2,480 pounds with a 5-speed manual and 2,511 pounds with a 6-speed manual. However, this is over 300 pounds heavier than the NA (first generation) Miata which tipped the scales at 2,116 pounds.

According to The Car Connection, Mazda's current goal for the next generation Miata is to cut weight by 720 pounds. That would put a base Miata at just under 1,800 pounds -- an almost unheard low for North American market vehicles.

For comparison, the aluminum-intensive Lotus Elise tips the scales at 2,010 pounds. The diminutive shoe smart fortwo weighs 1,808 pounds.

Mazda is also looking to make the next generation Miata narrower and will throw out unnecessary features to reach its weight goals. In addition, the company wants to downsize the engine from its current normally aspirated 2.0-liter engine to a turbocharged 1.4-liter engine.

The low weight and downsized engine should do wonders for the Miata's handling and performance; not to mention its fuel economy. The current Miata is rated at 22 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway. Although the Miata is considered a sports car, those numbers are still rather mediocre for a vehicle that weighs 2,480 and has "only" 167hp on tap.

Mazda, like all other auto manufacturers, is on a mission to increase fuel economy across the board thanks to upcoming CAFE regulations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A factory turbo 4 would sure make aftermarket power gains easy...

I'm really excited to see the next gen Miata if some of the rumors are true.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

drat, that sounds awesome.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
That sounds awesome. :)

Though my 99 could gain 20% better mileage in one fell swoop with a 6 speed that has a properly tall 6th gear. The freeway cruising RPM that Mazda gave us is just insanely high.

missed this:

Beach Bum posted:

:stare:
What size wheels/tires?

the stock 14" wheels with 205/55-14 Nitto NT01's

aventari fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 8, 2011

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

aventari posted:

That sounds awesome. :)

Though my 99 could gain 20% better mileage in one fell swoop with a 6 speed that has a properly tall 6th gear. The freeway cruising RPM that Mazda gave us is just insanely high.

missed this:

the stock 14" wheels with 205/55-14 Nitto NT01's

I had wondered, because my 15x7's with the 225 Hankooks would NOT fit in the trunk and close all the way.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I have a 99 that has had all kinds of exhaust issues since it was purchased, I've replaced O2 sensors, tried all kinds of stuff and to no avail, gas mileage is abysmal, 18 on a good day. My mechanic told me today that I should replace the catalytic converter (rear) because it's totally rattled and broken but the exhaust itself is pretty beat up so I'd rather just replace the entire thing from exhaust manifold to tailpipe. What solutions do I have? Isn't there a Borla or something similar I can just slap in there? I'd like to replace the headers as well if possible, just get all of it out of there.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

BusinessWallet posted:

I have a 99 that has had all kinds of exhaust issues since it was purchased, I've replaced O2 sensors, tried all kinds of stuff and to no avail, gas mileage is abysmal, 18 on a good day. My mechanic told me today that I should replace the catalytic converter (rear) because it's totally rattled and broken but the exhaust itself is pretty beat up so I'd rather just replace the entire thing from exhaust manifold to tailpipe. What solutions do I have? Isn't there a Borla or something similar I can just slap in there? I'd like to replace the headers as well if possible, just get all of it out of there.

Is it a California car with the front pre-cat or a 49 state car without it?

What do you mean exhaust is beat up?

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

aventari posted:

Is it a California car with the front pre-cat or a 49 state car without it?

What do you mean exhaust is beat up?

Yeah it's a cali car. I had it up on the lift and it's rusted to poo poo, he hit on the second cat and there was all kinds of dust coming out and he laughed and said this is totally used up, it probably was a long time ago. When I bought it the mechanic told me the cat was replaced but I'm pretty sure he just lied. I'm pretty sure the first cat is toast too, but he didn't look at that yet. I read that you can replace the whole exhaust with a 2001 exhaust, but could I just buy the racing beat headers and a midpipe to replace the whole thing?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

BusinessWallet posted:

Yeah it's a cali car. I had it up on the lift and it's rusted to poo poo, he hit on the second cat and there was all kinds of dust coming out and he laughed and said this is totally used up, it probably was a long time ago. When I bought it the mechanic told me the cat was replaced but I'm pretty sure he just lied. I'm pretty sure the first cat is toast too, but he didn't look at that yet. I read that you can replace the whole exhaust with a 2001 exhaust, but could I just buy the racing beat headers and a midpipe to replace the whole thing?
You could, but you ought to be able to find 2001 headers and a high flow cat for cheaper. The 01 headers were good for ~10whp IIRC.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Gave my car a bath today after installing the garage vary lip this week. i think it looks pretty good for being 15 years old. Its got year-correct M edition Enkeis with summer tires. What do you guys think it needs next? Its gonna make the cross-continental trip to "Miatas at the gap" in july, all the way from from Florida to Tennessee!

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 10, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Miatas at the gap is literally the worst. I hope you like retarded amounts of traffic on 2 lane roads!!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I can't be the only one to realllllllly doubt this. I could see the small displacement turbo engine, but dropping 700lbs while still meeting today's safety standards and building a car old people want to buy (all I ever see driving NCs)? Come on. The elise is tiny, has an aluminum tub frame and still weighs a few hundred more than their target.

I can see dropping 300-400lbs maybe if they also start over with a smaller platform but airbags, AC, sound deadening material - all that poo poo adds up.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

I can't be the only one to realllllllly doubt this. I could see the small displacement turbo engine, but dropping 700lbs while still meeting today's safety standards and building a car old people want to buy (all I ever see driving NCs)? Come on. The elise is tiny, has an aluminum tub frame and still weighs a few hundred more than their target.

I can see dropping 300-400lbs maybe if they also start over with a smaller platform but airbags, AC, sound deadening material - all that poo poo adds up.

Sounds likes a spridget to me. Crank windows, no top, and no ac should do it. I think they are making it a foot narrower too and shorter. Replace the door cards with cardboard and get rid of carpeting for spray on liner. This sounds pretty good.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Sounds likes a spridget to me. Crank windows, no top, and no ac should do it. I think they are making it a foot narrower too and shorter. Replace the door cards with cardboard and get rid of carpeting for spray on liner. This sounds pretty good.
Crank windows don't save weight.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

I think it could be done, but would it actually sell? Who's going to buy a brand new ~$24k car (just a guess) that doesn't even have air conditioning? Maybe a few hundred super-enthusiasts and/or people who are going to use them as track toys? Can't make much money off of that.

Also with shrinking the dimensions the interior room is going to have to get at least a little smaller which would put off larger people that barely fit into their miatas now. I understand they could package things differently perhaps but you can't do that with the width, at least.

I'm all for a weight reduction but not rumoring to basically remove almost 1/3 the weight of the current car. Most likely it's just a poorly written or mis-interpreted rumor. Perhaps it's a special edition tracktoy that doesn't have a windshield and stuff like that, but it's not going to be your typical walk in to the dealer and test drive a sub 1800lb miata kind of thing that the rumor is implying.

I'll happily eat my words if they make it happen, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Everything I've read up until that article said 1000kg and 1.4L turbo. The 1800lbs goal is probably just pie in the sky goals that we should all strive for, but it really isn't too hard to make a car 1800lbs; just make less of one.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
I need to replace the bumper and hood on a 93 Miata, aside from going to a junk yard, are there good places online where I could maybe not just replace them, but get something a little better than stock?

If so what price range should I expect to be in?

I've seen $395 for a bumper on flyin' miata as a reference point.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Oceanlife posted:

I need to replace the bumper and hood on a 93 Miata, aside from going to a junk yard, are there good places online where I could maybe not just replace them, but get something a little better than stock?

If so what price range should I expect to be in?

I've seen $395 for a bumper on flyin' miata as a reference point.
There is nothing better than a stock hood, or bumper (that last bit is an opinion)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

So, after much deliberation I've come to the sad decision to sell my 95M. It's a tough choice, but I just don't have the space, time, or desire/motivation to own two cars at this point in my life, and unfortunately my new E46 takes precedence. I'll miss the little guy for sure. 95k miles, 2-owner, all records car.

I'm in Seattle, and another goon already expressed some interest in flying here to pick up the car. However, nothing is finalized and if any other goons are interested I haven't listed it on craigslist just yet. :)

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 12, 2011

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
New top went on today. Robbins Streamline, tinted glass window w/o defrost. Real fun job with a roll bar in there.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 13, 2011

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Not my car, but a decent deal on a miata if anyone is in the market:
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/2436315326.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

destructo posted:

Crank windows don't save weight.

I guess if I am going with no top then I don't need windows anyway. Off they go. I think I need a windscreen to keep peoples heads from getting smashed in a roll over though.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Elephanthead posted:

I guess if I am going with no top then I don't need windows anyway. Off they go. I think I need a windscreen to keep peoples heads from getting smashed in a roll over though.

No you don't. The windshield header will fold over the instant the vehicle's weight is on it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Even if the weight is only that of two American ham beasts?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

The safety standard since the mid 80s or whatever is the vehicle must support 1.5x it's own weight upside down without the A pillar deflecting more than 5 inches.

Any modern convertible won't mousetrap the A pillar if gently dropped, but obviously if the g-forces overcome 150% of the car's weight, it can.

You should be able to chill out upside down in a miata unless you weigh 1000lbs!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Rollbars that meet SCCA guidelines are a-OK in rollovers, too.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmjaaSQP08