Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hamburglar posted:

It would suck to miss an exit because your GPS wouldn't keep a data connection while you talked to your dad on speakerphone
I was under the impression that Navigation caches the actual route, so it'll still tell you when to turn, you just might not have a pretty picture of it.

But wait a minute, who the gently caress talks on speakerphone while driving and exiting an unfamiliar-enough freeway to demand using Navigation? That's an accident waiting to happen and I imagine most (sane) folks wouldn't attempt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, google maps caches your route so unless you have to recalculate or get too far off course you will be fine.

And yeah, I would echo your statement. The last thing I would want to be doing while trying to navigate somewhere unknown is talk on the phone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, it's not common, but on 5 hour long car trips your bound to get a few phone calls. I mount my phone to my windshield and talk on speakerphone. Igo8 will make a nice PING! noise when there's a maneuver coming up so it's hard to miss.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

So I received my new Incredible 2 as a warranty replacement and I love almost everything about the phone. The battery life isn't quite what I hoped it would be, based on the excellent reviews, but it's about at the same level as my previous Droid X.

With that said, there is a background hiss whenever I use headphones (I have the in-ear kind) that drives me insane. If there is a quiet point in a song or even if I adjust the sound of the phone with the headset in and no music playing all, I will hear a "white noise" kind of sound that is just enough to bug the crap out of me.

So my question for those of you that have the Incredible 2, is this a common thing? I have called Verizon and they are sending a warranty replacement, but I have a fear that the new phone will have the same issue.

If this doesn't work and it's simply an issue with the Incredible 2's, I have a feeling that they will give me the Droid X2, which would be fine...but I am kind of digging the style of the HTC and would like to keep it.

On the GPS subject, I've never had an issue at all. I usually have my car bluetooth on, and when I'm on a phone call, it will speak my driving instructions over the speaker during the call.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 14, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hamburglar posted:

Eh, it's not common, but on 5 hour long car trips your bound to get a few phone calls.
I do too. I guess I pay enough attention to the "you have to do poo poo in N miles" counter on my Garmin that I won't take a call if there's any question of what I should be doing road wise during it. Never occurred to me that this might be an actual problem for folks.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Acrolos posted:

With that said, there is a background hiss whenever I use headphones (I have the in-ear kind) that drives me insane. If there is a quiet point in a song or even if I adjust the sound of the phone with the headset in and no music playing all, I will hear a "white noise" kind of sound that is just enough to bug the crap out of me.

So my question for those of you that have the Incredible 2, is this a common thing?

I was using my work PC speakers for about 2 hours today listening to Pandora and had no problems whatsoever, sounds like defective hardware to me. Good luck with the replacement though.

edit: I have only briefly used my actual earbud headphones to listen to stuff since I got the phone, but I definitely don't remember hearing any weird static/interference

frest fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 14, 2011

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Is there any indication of when Verizon is going to push out Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt? I know that there was a leaked GB build that several custom ROMs are now based off of (and which apparently caused bricking issues with the radio), but I'm wondering when the official release was planned.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

frest posted:

I was using my work PC speakers for about 2 hours today listening to Pandora and had no problems whatsoever, sounds like defective hardware to me. Good luck with the replacement though.

edit: I have only briefly used my actual earbud headphones to listen to stuff since I got the phone, but I definitely don't remember hearing any weird static/interference

I was able to get them to send me a replacement device, but I am still worried that this problem will persist with the new version. It's worth a shot though.

For the record, I tested the plug-in on my car stereo and heard the same thing (only when listening very carefully). I tested with some apple earbuds and a standard pair of actual headphones and didn't hear it. The sound is definitely the worst when using in-ear earphones though. Using them, the sound is unbearable...but unfortunately I have some tiny little ears that standard earbuds don't work with, and I prefer not to use full headphones at work.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Gonkish posted:

Is there any indication of when Verizon is going to push out Gingerbread to the Thunderbolt? I know that there was a leaked GB build that several custom ROMs are now based off of (and which apparently caused bricking issues with the radio), but I'm wondering when the official release was planned.

No, but there are rumors it would be next quarter. That would make sense. The leaked build was not even close to ready.

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer

Acrolos posted:

For the record, I tested the plug-in on my car stereo and heard the same thing (only when listening very carefully). I tested with some apple earbuds and a standard pair of actual headphones and didn't hear it. The sound is definitely the worst when using in-ear earphones though. Using them, the sound is unbearable...but unfortunately I have some tiny little ears that standard earbuds don't work with, and I prefer not to use full headphones at work.

I've never noticed it before, but I use it with Apple earbuds in places with a lot of existing ambient noise to begin with, so I may not be the best judge

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Hey guys, taking a shot in the dark here cuz I'm pretty sure I'm poo poo out of luck but might as well ask the experts.

I have an original Droid on Verizon. My house is in an area with pretty crappy reception, and in some rooms almost none at all. Depending on where I stand in the room, sometimes texts don't come through to me for a LONG time. Once someone was texting me every so often for over 45 minutes and I received them all in one burst after not getting any the entire time.

My question is, is there any way to receive texts over wifi or 3g or anything like that? I know that the verizon reception extender device thingy would be great but I'd like to see if there's any other option before I go that route. Honestly the 3G coverage is better than the normal reception, it's dumb.

I doubt that there's anything like this (verizon probably wouldnt like it for some reason) but no harm in asking. Thanks for reading, and gently caress my neighborhood for its terribly reception!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
So Verizon says they are planning on rolling out 4g service in my area by the end of the year. I was really looking to get a new phone in the next week or so because my piece of crap env2 is about to die, and I've been off contract for about a year. It looks like the 4g phone selection is pretty crappy right now, but I feel like having the ability to use the service in the next year or so would be nice. What is the best 4g capable phone they offer now? Would it be better for me to wait another month or so to see if new phones come out?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

zeldadude posted:

Hey guys, taking a shot in the dark here cuz I'm pretty sure I'm poo poo out of luck but might as well ask the experts.

I have an original Droid on Verizon. My house is in an area with pretty crappy reception, and in some rooms almost none at all. Depending on where I stand in the room, sometimes texts don't come through to me for a LONG time. Once someone was texting me every so often for over 45 minutes and I received them all in one burst after not getting any the entire time.

My question is, is there any way to receive texts over wifi or 3g or anything like that? I know that the verizon reception extender device thingy would be great but I'd like to see if there's any other option before I go that route. Honestly the 3G coverage is better than the normal reception, it's dumb.

I doubt that there's anything like this (verizon probably wouldnt like it for some reason) but no harm in asking. Thanks for reading, and gently caress my neighborhood for its terribly reception!

You could try something like Google Voice for a third party solution.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Super Dude posted:

So Verizon says they are planning on rolling out 4g service in my area by the end of the year. I was really looking to get a new phone in the next week or so because my piece of crap env2 is about to die, and I've been off contract for about a year. It looks like the 4g phone selection is pretty crappy right now, but I feel like having the ability to use the service in the next year or so would be nice. What is the best 4g capable phone they offer now? Would it be better for me to wait another month or so to see if new phones come out?

Nothing is coming out within a month on the 4G front. Of the 4G phones currently:

Thunderbolt has abysmal battery life, but a lot of people like Sense. Best dev support currently.
Charge has the best screen and camera, lightest, best battery life. Decent dev community so far. Built like poo poo, you'll need a case. Most seem to hate Touchwiz.
Revolution operates similarly to Tbolt, with slightly improved battery life. LG's UI is OK, nothing significantly impressive. Almost no dev support at all.

I think the best overall experience is currently the Charge.

Krittick posted:

You could try something like Google Voice for a third party solution.

GV would work perfectly for this. However, you'd either have to tell people to text your GV number, or just tell everyone to call that and use the GV app to make calls and texts from it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Cozmosis posted:

Nothing is coming out within a month on the 4G front. Of the 4G phones currently:

Thunderbolt has abysmal battery life, but a lot of people like Sense. Best dev support currently.
Charge has the best screen and camera, lightest, best battery life. Decent dev community so far. Built like poo poo, you'll need a case. Most seem to hate Touchwiz.
Revolution operates similarly to Tbolt, with slightly improved battery life. LG's UI is OK, nothing significantly impressive. Almost no dev support at all.

I think the best overall experience is currently the Charge.

Is 4g really that important? I've never owned a smartphone so I'm not really sure what 3g speeds are like. What's the best 3g phone? The X2 and Xperia Play looked nice.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Is 4g really that important? I've never owned a smartphone so I'm not really sure what 3g speeds are like. What's the best 3g phone? The X2 and Xperia Play looked nice.

I've seen speed test runs range from 7mbps to 38mbps with 30-90ms.

And yes I'd pick the x2 out of all the 3g phones we currently have. 4G is about to drop in my area too but I'm unimpressed with the phone selection. Not sure if I can wait until late summer for Motorola's first 4G Verizon phone.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Cozmosis posted:

The revolution is also binged.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mighty Horse posted:

No personal experence but have seen a ton of bad things about them in the Verizon employee forum over at HoFo.

You don't get a job with them. You become an "indipendent contractor" so they can dodge taxes and having to pay healthcare and unemployement insurance. You need to get a Tax ID number, and you are also on the hook to pay your taxes quarterly yourself. You will need to file as a business, since essentually you are. I'm pretty sure it 100% commission.

I have heard you can make a lot of money with them if your very good work a shitload of hours, but that is some shady bullshit right there.

As a former Verizon employee who had to fix the innumerable issues that chucklefucks from Cellular Sales caused for customers, I would advise anyone thinking of working for them to run far, far away. Everything Mighty Horse posted is 100% spot-on from my conversations with them, and on top of that, they practice incredibly shady practices with their customers - anything to close a sale. I can't count how many times they would resell equipment that had been returned as new, for instance.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Cozmosis posted:

GV would work perfectly for this. However, you'd either have to tell people to text your GV number, or just tell everyone to call that and use the GV app to make calls and texts from it.

I think they allow you to use your normal number with Google Voice now. I've never used that specific feature though.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Anyone have any experience or opinion on the Motorola Droid Pro? My wife wants a droid with a keyboard that is not too huge, and that seems like an option.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kensei posted:

Anyone have any experience or opinion on the Motorola Droid Pro? My wife wants a droid with a keyboard that is not too huge, and that seems like an option.
It's the most Blackberry like of Android devices, and if that's what she's coming from, it might be appropriate. Personally I find portrait-orientation hardware keyboards cramped to type on. At this point I find (portrait-orientation) virtual keyboards strictly superior for their prediction and correction features.

The thing that bugs me about the Droid Pro is that it has an absolutely tiny 3.1" HVGA screen. The Droid Incredible 2, is nearly the same size (DI2: 4.75 x 2.52 x 0.48) vs (DP: 4.69 x 2.36 x 0.46) but has a much bigger/better 4.0" 800x480 screen which makes virtual keyboards reasonably comfortable to type on.

If she's willing, I'd somehow figure out how to try SwiftKey, the GB Keyboard, or even Swype on a 4.0" screen and see if one of those is amenable to her, particularly the predictive stuff. But if hardware is the only way to go, the Droid Pro is a reasonable, if limited option.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

kensei posted:

I think she'd be better off waiting for the Droid 3 in a couple weeks.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zeldadude posted:

This is an interesting question because I'd like to know the answer too, but I can help you a little bit.

The network extender won't help at all. Verizon really does have the best coverage, but my block for some strange reason has almost no Verizon service at all. No exaggeration; go down a block and it works great. On my block? poo poo don't work. And I do not live in a rural area.

Got the network extender, went from being able to make 0 calls to every call working perfectly and never, ever dropping one in 2 years. However, text messages are flaky, and forget about sending/receiving MMS. My wife laughed about how she can upload a 5MP photo to Facebook in 3 seconds on her iPhone but if she tries to send an MMS it will literally take hours (if it ever sends). We thought it was totally goofy that since our phones are always on wifi when in our homes, that data (like texts) wouldn't be sent that way (figured it would take the burden off of Verizon's towers, no?). So I guess the only thing I can add other than wanting to know your question too, is that I can safely say the network extender will do jack poo poo for your text message/MMS problem (but does wonders for phone calls). It REALLY sucks for my friends to send me an MMS and for me to say "hey can you resend that at 10 am tomorrow when I'm at work?".

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Krittick posted:

I think they allow you to use your normal number with Google Voice now. I've never used that specific feature though.

Only if you pay to port your number to GV, then get a new number from your carrier, which also means that people calling your old number won't get free mobile to mobile calling, since GV numbers are technically landlines.

There's also the Sprint service where you can share a number between GV and Sprint, but I'm assuming that's not a great choice in the Verizon thread. I wish Verizon would get the same service.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There is a newer extender now so it may work better for non voice stuff. It even has 3G support.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Thanks ExcessBLarg! and dominator, she wants a smaller phone with a physical keyboard, so I will have to drag her in and have her try some out. She doesn't like swype too much - I have that on mine.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kensei posted:

She doesn't like swype too much - I have that on mine.
Swype is an interesting one. I personally love it, although mostly for reasons that have less to do with "Swyping." In short, even its biggest fans admit that Swype doesn't work well in all circumstances, and a lot of folks just outright hate it. I'd show her the SwiftKey X Beta and download the Gingerbread Keyboard on your phone (if you're still on Froyo), since those cover the gamut of alternatives.

My wife had a similar experience. She wanted a smallerish phone with a physical keyboard, so that's what we got, and these days she uses the Froyo (not even GB) on-screen keyboard since it's far more convenient and works well enough. Although it was a reasonable decision to make at that time, if the same scenario were to play out with today's devices, it probably would've been a mistake for her to go hardware. Perhaps that's still the answer for your wife. I guess knowing how it played out on our end is why I'm advocating a "try it out" route.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Swype is an interesting one. I personally love it, although mostly for reasons that have less to do with "Swyping." In short, even its biggest fans admit that Swype doesn't work well in all circumstances, and a lot of folks just outright hate it. I'd show her the SwiftKey X Beta and download the Gingerbread Keyboard on your phone (if you're still on Froyo), since those cover the gamut of alternatives.

My wife had a similar experience. She wanted a smallerish phone with a physical keyboard, so that's what we got, and these days she uses the Froyo (not even GB) on-screen keyboard since it's far more convenient and works well enough. Although it was a reasonable decision to make at that time, if the same scenario were to play out with today's devices, it probably would've been a mistake for her to go hardware. Perhaps that's still the answer for your wife. I guess knowing how it played out on our end is why I'm advocating a "try it out" route.

I had not thought of trying out other kb software, and I will do so. Thanks again man!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really hope Verizon gets some Nexus phone lovin after the BGR report of the Nexus 4G.

It really sounds like a Bionic, running ICS, with a higher resolution screen, and no Moto bloatware.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I really hope Verizon gets some Nexus phone lovin after the BGR report of the Nexus 4G.

It really sounds like a Bionic, running ICS, with a higher resolution screen, and no Moto bloatware.

I will throw a god drat giant temper tantrum if this doesn't come to Verizon. Seriously, on the floor of my local Verizon store screaming and flailing.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Super Dude posted:

I think it is. I wouldn't consider Verizon if it were 3G only. It is quite slow, usually in the 1-2mbps range. Whereas, a minimum of 5-6mbps for LTE, and usual speeds in the 8-12 range.

However the phones aren't nearly as polished. The Xperia Play is cool for what it is, but unless you're a heavy gamer, its a bulky joke. X2 is probably the best, but the reviews are a fairly unimpressive step up from a Droid X.

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury
Is there any knowledge out there regarding how long the current unlimited data plan will last? I have the opportunity to throw a student discount on it, but I probably won't be able to buy a smartphone until July.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Cozmosis posted:

X2 is probably the best, but the reviews are a fairly unimpressive step up from a Droid X.

It might only be a small step up from the X, but it's a huge leap up from my env2.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Gonkish posted:

Earliest I've seen rumored was end of July. Don't know if the MR2 update pushed things back a bit but I'd be shocked if it isn't dropped by August.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Acrolos posted:

Incredible 2 issues.

There is a background hiss whenever I use headphones (I have the in-ear kind) that drives me insane. If there is a quiet point in a song or even if I adjust the sound of the phone with the headset in and no music playing all, I will hear a "white noise" kind of sound that is just enough to bug the crap out of me.

So my question for those of you that have the Incredible 2, is this a common thing? I have called Verizon and they are sending a warranty replacement, but I have a fear that the new phone will have the same issue.

If this doesn't work and it's simply an issue with the Incredible 2's, I have a feeling that they will give me the Droid X2, which would be fine...but I am kind of digging the style of the HTC and would like to keep it.

I received the replacement device and it has the same issue. I also stopped by two Verizon stores and their devices had the problem as well. It appears that it is a flaw with the phone, and a lot of people just don't notice it. For me, it's insanely frustrating.

I ended up keeping the phone though, because I don't want to have to deal with anything else when I'm really only keeping this until the Bionic or another good phone comes out.

volatile bowels
Sep 7, 2009

All-Star
So I just got a thunderbolt today. Are there any reccommended hacks I should do? Do the custom roms work well with 4g? Also, I just read how the Bionic is supposedly going to be released in a couple weeks. Does anyone know if the form factor is more like the Thunderbolt or the X2? The x2 just seemed to large for a phone. I'm wondering if I should return the Tbolt in 14 days for the bionic if it's going to be coming out

volatile bowels fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 16, 2011

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I really wanted to like the Droid Pro, but its an utter mess of a phone. Buggy as Hell. I've had 2 coworkers have it just up and die. Also suffers from an usually large number of blown speakers like the Droid 2 Global.

Unfortunately I highly doubt we will see the Bionic in the next 13 days.

I am very happy the free 4G hot spot offer got extended again.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Acrolos posted:

I received the replacement device and it has the same issue. I also stopped by two Verizon stores and their devices had the problem as well. It appears that it is a flaw with the phone, and a lot of people just don't notice it. For me, it's insanely frustrating.

I ended up keeping the phone though, because I don't want to have to deal with anything else when I'm really only keeping this until the Bionic or another good phone comes out.

Unfortunately this is the result of HTC using subpar DAC hardware in their phones. You can alleviate/bypass the problem to some extent by using higher-impedance headphones, but it'll never sound as good as an iPod (or even some other phones like the original Galaxy S, after a bit of hacking).

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

volatile bowels posted:

So I just got a thunderbolt today. Are there any reccommended hacks I should do? Do the custom roms work well with 4g? Also, I just read how the Bionic is supposedly going to be released in a couple weeks. Does anyone know if the form factor is more like the Thunderbolt or the X2? The x2 just seemed to large for a phone. I'm wondering if I should return the Tbolt in 14 days for the bionic if it's going to be coming out
Bionic isn't going to be out soon, not even being user tested yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Are there any dual core 4g phones coming out even remotely soon? I'm eligible next month, and my gf is now. But seeing as we have an Incredible and a Droid X respectively, I can't justify upgrading just for 4g.

• Locked thread