Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Untitled by LJ., on Flickr

I'm not usually one for 'Topaz filter = dignity' portraits, but the texture this guy is getting has blown my mind.

I think it's the eyes that seal the deal for me, at least. Just incredible detail.

Also, that Kenna work is loving astounding. I love seeing work that makes me want to run out the door and immediately start shooting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm not usually one for 'Topaz filter = dignity' portraits, but the texture this guy is getting has blown my mind.

Yeah that's unreal. His face looks like a dirty rock.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I am not sure if he has been posted before, but I like TJ Scotts photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tj_scott/sets/72157605672626680/

b0nes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 1, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

b0nes posted:

I am not sure if he has been posted before, but I like TJ Scotts photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tj_scott/sets/72157605672626680/

atomic vagina

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Paragon8 posted:

atomic vagina

:raise:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

:raise:

The sun is framed where her genitals are. The sun is comprised of atomic fusion..

It's well taken but the concept/subject just are a bit off

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Paragon8 posted:

The sun is framed where her genitals are. The sun is comprised of atomic fusion..

It's well taken but the concept/subject just are a bit off

Stare at it too long or not wear sunglasses and you will damage your eyes?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I hate to sy it, but it's been done before. And by Terry Richardson. Such a specific concept only works the first time you see it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Stare at it too long or not wear sunglasses and you will damage your eyes?

Pretty much

e, oh god his wide angle picture of a model dressed as a griever in a mausoleum is pretty awkward. barrel distortion on people's grave slots. Lovely

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 1, 2011

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, it's been done by every 2-bit 'sexy girls at sunset' poster sold at walmart for the past 20 years.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

that said, it's a great landscape!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Amazing portrait. An easy way to get that effect is with some orthochromic film, never EVER take a shot of your gf with it, brings out every wrinkle you can and can't see.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Ric posted:

Terrible isn't it? Who knows if there'll be a reprint.
It's being reprinted by Aperture in September and is currently available for pre-order.
[/quote]

I couldn't find the place to pre-order, would be able to provide a link?

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Thanks for the heads up Ric!

@ Spedman - Not sure if it's the cheapest place but photo-eye has it.

Edit: Long exposure, IN SPACE.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110602.html

East Lake fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 5, 2011

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Spedman posted:

I couldn't find the place to pre-order, would be able to provide a link?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1597111945/
http://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Davidson-Subway/dp/1597111945/

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Every now and then when I am doing a flickr search for film types, I bump into this image of Mary Ellen Mark. I didn't know who she was. But today, I finally decided to look up her work... and wow, is it nice! This exemplifies the kind of photography I really love.

Of course, if you poke around a little you see she's pretty famous and well-established. I did not know this. Anyway, I think it's pretty good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The best picture I've come across from the Vancouver riots last night:

http://imgur.com/XgbQT

(mildly NSFW, is a couple getting amorous in the street, no titties)

I like the contrast of the riot police and smooching.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

xzzy posted:

The best picture I've come across from the Vancouver riots last night:

http://imgur.com/XgbQT

(mildly NSFW, is a couple getting amorous in the street, no titties)

I like the contrast of the riot police and smooching.

This led me to: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/16/photos-riots-fire-destruction-after-vancouvers-loss/

What the gently caress, Canada?

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

This led me to: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/16/photos-riots-fire-destruction-after-vancouvers-loss/

What the gently caress, Canada?

We're not all bad...

But seriously, gently caress Vancouver last night (I know it's not everyone in Vancouver, but it sure wasn't a "handful" of people). They were essentially representing the whole country last night, and they pull this poo poo. It's disgusting.

grayscale
Feb 27, 2009

CarrotFlowers posted:

It's disgusting.

I've always been pretty aware of it, but it still is a little jarring to get a reminder how easily a crowd can turn into a murderous hive-minded mob. Its just a bit ominous to me. This was a loving hockey game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boston was a lot more cautious about it.. they closed off parking lots downtown, told bars to not let anyone in after the second period, stuff like that. They also got off easy because their team won.

Vancouver sank itself by setting up mass viewing areas downtown, which attracted massive crowds. It was pretty much inevitable that something was going to go wrong.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm pretty convinced Vancouver was going to riot, win or lose. But yeah, they could have been a lot smarter about trying to diffuse it from the start.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Glass Knuckles posted:

I've always been pretty aware of it, but it still is a little jarring to get a reminder how easily a crowd can turn into a murderous hive-minded mob. Its just a bit ominous to me. This was a loving hockey game.

I was in Chicago when the White Sox won the world series, it was an AWESOME riot. I wish I still had pictures from it... So fun. Everyone was friends, even the police. People were crowd surfing on sidewalks, and the police would push kids back on top before they fell into flower gardens impaling themselves. Man what a fun riot that was.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

A lot of the people in those pictures are going to be in some deep poo poo when police find them. This guy is going to be in some really deep poo poo.

http://i.imgur.com/9XbDz.jpg

RizieN posted:

I was in Chicago when the White Sox won the world series, it was an AWESOME riot. I wish I still had pictures from it... So fun. Everyone was friends, even the police. People were crowd surfing on sidewalks, and the police would push kids back on top before they fell into flower gardens impaling themselves. Man what a fun riot that was.
That's not a riot, that's a party.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Well at least you guys showed us States guys that you aren't the pussies we've stereotyped ya as.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Well at least you guys showed us States guys that you aren't the pussies we've stereotyped ya as.

Only pussies gets that upset about a hockey game.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I saw these linked and thought, "Photos? Architectural graphics renders, surely..."

Then read the description :o:

brad industry
May 22, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

A lot of the people in those pictures are going to be in some deep poo poo when police find them. This guy is going to be in some really deep poo poo.

I think there's an appropriate time and place for civil unrest, but hockey games... come on.

After the Oscar Grant riots in Oakland, the police department was using Flickr photos to track down and convict people.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Also kind of frustrating that sports riots are getting more coverage than the riots in Greece which are about something a touch more serious.

Although there have been so many riots there recently photojournos probably have all the coverage they need.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Paragon8 posted:

...riots in Greece which are about something a touch more serious.

Does anyone really believe this?

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Mightaswell posted:

Does anyone really believe this?

That rioting about the dire situation of your government's finances and impending austerity measures is slightly more serious then rioting about your sports team's loss? Yes, I'd say I believe that.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

That's not a riot, that's a party.

Funny you say this... a bit of old news by now, but relevant anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQOQsLUW60

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Not sure if this is the right place to post this (and not sure if they've been posted before), but I had to share these photos. And I usually don't like insect/reptile photography.

by Blepharopsis on deviantArt

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I saw these linked and thought, "Photos? Architectural graphics renders, surely..."

Then read the description :o:

i always did this as a kid, so i feel a little let down i didn't take photos of em :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

plasmoduck posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this (and not sure if they've been posted before), but I had to share these photos. And I usually don't like insect/reptile photography.

hahahah IT JUST LOOKS SO HAPPY!!!

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

plasmoduck posted:

by Blepharopsis on deviantArt

There are some (i.e., a huge loving bunch) of incredible photos in the rest of that gallery. I'm trying to figure out what it is about them that makes them all so unique looking, but I can't put my finger on it.

EDIT: Maybe it's the lighting.
EDIT2: Or maybe the DOF; it looks different than most macros.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 26, 2011

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

William T. Hornaday posted:

There are some (i.e., a huge loving bunch) of incredible photos in the rest of that gallery. I'm trying to figure out what it is about them that makes them all so unique looking, but I can't put my finger on it.

EDIT: Maybe it's the lighting.
EDIT2: Or maybe the DOF; it looks different than most macros.

Yeah, or the colours/tones/postprocessing? Either way, the pictures look a lot more "conceptual" than most "hey it's an insect in front of blurry leaves/stones"-type shots. There's also many nice ones with somewhat unusual composition.

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 26, 2011

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

plasmoduck posted:

Yeah, or the colours/tones/postprocessing? Either way, the pictures look a lot more "conceptual" than most "hey it's an insect in front of blurry leaves/stones"-type shots. There's also many nice ones with somewhat unusual composition.

It's like he's really making the narrow DoF you get with macro work with him instead of against him, and just totally nailing the focus.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

I'm convinced he's doing some pretty complex focus stacking (and maybe boosting the background blur in post), because there's no way in hell you get both eyes tack sharp like this on things less than an inch long. Unless you sell your soul to the devil.

Also, some of it seems to be the fact that he made a point to illuminate and expose the background properly, whereas with most macros it's just an inky void. Maybe he's using a backdrop.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

No backdrops, just good lighting. I think he's actually shooting a wider DoF and narrowing it down in post.

• Locked thread