Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

2508084 posted:

God I wish you lived near me. I don't care how on the ball I am, math still kills me. Id saw through my right arm first.

Links for coping skills? I only know what I know and it isn't enough apparently. I know the basics. Maybe I should just go back to sitting in an ihop with a cup of (decaf) coffee till my poo poo is done like I did before

After work it's hard because my drugs have worn off by then. But, I've done some tweaking of my drug regimen, and now I'm taking a dose on Sundays. Because it turns out that I like to get poo poo done on the weekends, and that's justnot happening. Plus, I don't like how spacy and socially awkward I feel when unmedicated.

Saturdays is my 'fun' day; I do maybe a little studying, but most of the day is devoted to hanging out with friends and watching soccer matches. Sunday I generally spend in the local coffee shop, studying and churning out problems.

While the Algebra is going better now, it's still not that intuitive to me. I'm getting through it by doing a massive load of problems. Also, due to the oddness of my particular job, I'm doing basic Algebra in my head 8 hours a day. So that also gives me a lot of exposure to it. (Basically, I work on drug software. So, I have to take scenarios like "Little Diego gets 3 doses of Ritalin a day. But, he only has 17 pills total. How many days worth of :catdrugs: does he have?" Then, I have to calculate it out by writing a SQL script, make sure the app does the math and dispenses the right amount of drugs using that SQL, and then do the math by hand to make sure it actually calculated correctly.)

All I can recommend on the math front is to take advantage of all the resources and tutoring that you can, and try to do at least a little bit every day. I work on mine some 6-7 days a week. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

I paid money to type stuff here.
Just want to throw this out there for math (and other subjects as well I guess):

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Saw this guy on the Colbert Report a few weeks ago. It's basically tons of short lessons on different subjects. I guess he started it to help out some family members with their schoolwork and then it just grew into this huge catalogue that he has now.

It's nice for those of us with short a attention span. Instead of having to read a whole chapter or sit through a long lecture, you can just pick one topic/sub-topic and spend 10 minutes watching a short lesson on it. How I wish I had this in high school...

-----

On another subject, do the Dexedrine tabs go by a different name than the spansules? My doc originally tried to prescribe the tabs but they wouldn't come up in her machine while she was typing out the prescription, so she just went with spansules. I'm seeing her again next week and thought I might try for the tabs as I'm finding the spansules to be really inconsistent in how they release day to day. I know she tried Dexedrine and Dextroamphetamine and neither had an IR option... maybe her software just sucks.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I just now read through the latest posts and it's interesting to look at newcomers to the medication game and their experiences. I started out thinking that if I don't feel that honeymoon effect from my drugs, then clearly they aren't working.

But the more I use the drugs to help, the more I realize that even if I don't feel anything, they are still working. It's just that I have to trust that they're working. But the minute I kick myself in the rear end to get started on my tasks (not hard on Adderall), I don't realize that I've been working like mad until I look at the clock.

Some days though, I'll get that 'Everything's alllll riggghtttt' feeling from my pills. Not every day, just some days. But even on the days I don't get that feeling, I can still bang out poo poo I need to get done. At work, I can plow through assignments and develop some cool poo poo. On the weekends at the house, I can knock out my chores and still manage to teach myself programming poo poo.

But one thing I don't get: I hear of people taking little drug holidays by not taking the meds on the weekends. I never do that since I love being able to be productive (new baby plus trying to teach myself skills to get out of my dead end job) on the weekends. Is there any particular reason to not taking the drugs on the weekends? In my case, I haven't noticed building up a tolerance to the meds - at least not yet - taking them everyday.

It's true about the drugs helping to teach you what it's like to truly be productive. Once you clean the house, knock out extra chores, run errands and STILL have time to eat breakfast, that memory sticks with you forever. So when the meds wear off for the day, I can still tell myself to get to work. And I now know what 'work' really feels like.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I take little weekend drug holidays for two reasons:

1. To give my body a rest from the side effects. No matter what drug I try, the side effects eventually get to me, especially if it's depression and/or increased spasticity. Giving my mind and body a 'day off' has been necessary, and very beneficial, for me.

2. I don't want to build up a tolerance. Because I can't take any higher doses of the drugs than I'm already on, because the side effects are horrible. 5 MG of Adderall, when it wears off, merely makes me moody - 10 mg makes me nearly suicidal. I don't want to imagine what a higher dose of Dex would do to my spasticity. And Adderall and Dexedrine are the only two ADHD meds out there that I can even tolerate - I've tried the rest - and then only in very small doses. I would rather have the weekends of flightiness than risk gaining a tolerance, because then I'd be really screwed. It sucks, but I cope.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I take the holidays on most weekends because I don't *truly* need it. It would be nice, but nowhere near as necessary as while at work.

I'm afraid of tolerance buildup as well, and I've found that if I do take it on the weekends, after about 10 days in a row of being medicated I start to feel messed up, so the break prevents that.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG
I tried taking a weekend break but it seems that not being on it makes me sleep continuously. I slept for 18 hours straight, no waking up at all when I skipped it.
Edit: went for my psych appointment wednesday, the doctor told me hes never used daytrana on anyone but agreed to let me try it since I can't do time release medications. Just waiting til monday for it to come, the pharmacy had to order it.

fagalicious fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 16, 2011

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.
So I'm a newcomer to this thread. I did my best to skim through all the other pages, so if this has already been brought up, I apologize.

I saw a lot of people were saying they wished they'd been diagnosed earlier in life. I kind of have the opposite wish. I wish they would have waited longer.

I've wondered if being prescribed methylphenidates(i.e Ritalin and Concerta) at such a young age disrupted my psychological development, maybe to the point where I cannot function well without them. I started taking Ritalin at age 6 or so, and I recall the dosage being bumped up higher and higher all the time, until the doctor told my mother they couldn't go any higher. I was switched Concerta when it first came out. I think I was around 12. I took that daily til age 18, from ages 20-23(with a switch to Vyvanse and Strattera thrown in), and back on them now. So about 2/3 of my life, the majority during the time that my brain was still growing.

What effect did it have on my personality? The way I think? The way my brain works on a biological level? . And could I have out-grown my bad behaviors or learned to control them? How different(or not) would I be?

Every time I stop taking meds, my life becomes chaotic and I feel like I've lost control - and when I get back on them, I do well. There is a chicken vs. egg argument going on in my brain.

Has any one else ever had this, or am I just paranoid? I got stuck on it when I was pregnant, wondering what course I would take if my child was like me.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

pixie delights posted:

Every time I stop taking meds, my life becomes chaotic and I feel like I've lost control - and when I get back on them, I do well. There is a chicken vs. egg argument going on in my brain.

Based on everyone's posts, I'd say that's how everyone feels off of the medication.
Doesn't really matter if you were diagnosed earlier in life, though it does sound suspicious that they kept ramping up your dosage until you hit the maximum. Did you ever get put into therapy to learn how to cope with all these issues? Or did they just give you pills and send you off? That would explain why you have these issues a lot more than just taking the medication you needed earlier.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Aculard posted:

Based on everyone's posts, I'd say that's how everyone feels off of the medication.

Yeap. if I don't take my pills, everything goes to poo poo again. If I could manage without I'd be saving $30/month

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

Aculard posted:

Doesn't really matter if you were diagnosed earlier in life, though it does sound suspicious that they kept ramping up your dosage until you hit the maximum. Did you ever get put into therapy to learn how to cope with all these issues? Or did they just give you pills and send you off? That would explain why you have these issues a lot more than just taking the medication you needed earlier.

Yes, to give my parents credit, they put me in in therapy before I even began the medication, continued it after. They say(though I don't remember it myself) that they even tried the special, no additives/food dyes diet before they resorted to medications.

I suppose the issue I have with it is that having to take medication left me with a feeling that was something inherently wrong with me. I've never managed to shake it. I was constantly reminded that without them, no one could handle being around me. At that age, it pretty much devastated my sense of self-worth. Now obviously there were benefits(for the adults) to my taking them, but for me? I remember being pretty happy up til that point, I was too hyper to notice anything else.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

pixie delights posted:

Yes, to give my parents credit, they put me in in therapy before I even began the medication, continued it after. They say(though I don't remember it myself) that they even tried the special, no additives/food dyes diet before they resorted to medications.

I suppose the issue I have with it is that having to take medication left me with a feeling that was something inherently wrong with me. I've never managed to shake it. I was constantly reminded that without them, no one could handle being around me. At that age, it pretty much devastated my sense of self-worth. Now obviously there were benefits(for the adults) to my taking them, but for me? I remember being pretty happy up til that point, I was too hyper to notice anything else.

Ignoring how everyone else felt about it, how did you feel about it aside from thinking something was wrong with you because you had to take them? I'm guessing you were doing better as far as schoolwork and not accidentally saying your immediate (potentially rude) thoughts etc.

Also, compare it to wearing glasses. Is there something wrong with someone because they wear glasses for poor eyesight? Try not to get bogged down in thinking it is morally wrong to take medication just because there's a stigma to offsetting the effects of ADHD unlike the general lack of stigma from wearing glasses to correct poor eyesight.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

pixie delights posted:

I saw a lot of people were saying they wished they'd been diagnosed earlier in life. I kind of have the opposite wish. I wish they would have waited longer.

Has any one else ever had this, or am I just paranoid? I got stuck on it when I was pregnant, wondering what course I would take if my child was like me.

I think most people feel this way that have ADD, I know I do for sure. I have been on meds something like 3 months and goddamn, if I don't take my adderall I'm useless and frustrated and everything is horrible and chaotic like it was for 26 years until I was diagnosed.

So be glad you were diagnosed early instead of stuck in the prison of your unmedicated mind for 26 years without knowing there was a way to make it better. Even now if you don't take your meds you don't feel as bad as someone who is in their late 20's and undiagnosed because you know that better exists, and you have it in a bottle when you need it. Just the feeling of thinking that "something has to be wrong, but apparently not because no one has caught it yet, so I guess I'm stupid..." can really dent your psyche. For 26 years. Or more for some people.

pixie delights
Mar 31, 2005
oy.

Kylra posted:

Ignoring how everyone else felt about it, how did you feel about it aside from thinking something was wrong with you because you had to take them? I'm guessing you were doing better as far as schoolwork and not accidentally saying your immediate (potentially rude) thoughts etc.

Also, compare it to wearing glasses. Is there something wrong with someone because they wear glasses for poor eyesight? Try not to get bogged down in thinking it is morally wrong to take medication just because there's a stigma to offsetting the effects of ADHD unlike the general lack of stigma from wearing glasses to correct poor eyesight.

I looked at as both a blessing and a curse. They made my live smoother, which is why I take them still. At the same time, I felt like they made me less...me. But in time, I guess the me on medication became me.

Thank you very much! I haven't had anyone to bounce that off of, and your responses helped me see it a little more clearly and move the thought process along.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

pixie delights posted:

So I'm a newcomer to this thread. I did my best to skim through all the other pages, so if this has already been brought up, I apologize.

I was diagnosed at around 19 or so, when I was two years into college. Up until that point I could manage, although it was really hard and there were a couple of bad years in there. Ever since I was pretty young I wanted to program video games, so I did what I could to reach that goal. I knew math was important, but history, not so much. So when I could, I would take all easy classes for everything but math and science, even though technically I was qualified for the more advanced ones. I didn't know anything about ADD at that point but I knew my limitations and what I wanted to focus on.

When I started failing and dropping required college classes, I realized I had to fix the problem because my ways of coping were not enough. I couldn't afford to take meds regularly, so it was still a big struggle after I was diagnosed. Eventually I managed to graduate, and when I got a job with benefits I started seeing shrinks and getting meds.

Now that I've been off meds for 2 or 3 years, I'm grateful that I can still cope. My life is chaotic, so I just try to focus on what's the most important and let the other things go. Interestingly enough, having a kid seems to work well with ADD. I have pretty much no time for anything but her and work. It's kind of an excuse to have a messy house, look constantly disheveled, and not do stuff that will get me into trouble.

But I hate my job, and the only reason I stay is because of my impending maternity leave and inability to take meds. Somehow, between being pregnant and having ADD, I'm still one of the most competent people on my team. I really want to try out some other company, but I'm afraid of working with people smarter than me, especially unmedicated.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 18, 2012

Kuri
Jun 26, 2009

Hamburglar posted:

Oh dear God the Strattera literally stopped working over night. I'm at the max dose so I guess I can count it out, now. All the old symptoms are back, minus the depression. I futz around in bed, I can't sleep, I'm fidgety as gently caress, I can't concentrate.

Hoping to hell Intuniv works for me. Thank God it's the weekend.

Edit: Welp, Intuniv is only for people under 17, there goes that idea :negative:

I'm almost 30 and I take Intuniv. My doctor prescribed it and my insurance hasn't balked yet. Tenex, instant release guanfacine, can be taken twice a day in lieu of the much more expensive Intuniv.

Clonidine works, but not as directly, and is typically for hypertension like guanfacine (Intuniv).

By the way, the alpha-2-adrenergic agonists (clonidine, guanfacine) take approximately 3-4 weeks to reach full efficacy. The immediate effects people report come from the fact that you will be tired on either drug...I slept 14 hours a day until my body adjusted due to sheer exhaustion.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

pixie delights posted:

I've wondered if being prescribed methylphenidates(i.e Ritalin and Concerta) at such a young age disrupted my psychological development, maybe to the point where I cannot function well without them. I started taking Ritalin at age 6 or so, and I recall the dosage being bumped up higher and higher all the time, until the doctor told my mother they couldn't go any higher. I was switched Concerta when it first came out. I think I was around 12. I took that daily til age 18, from ages 20-23(with a switch to Vyvanse and Strattera thrown in), and back on them now. So about 2/3 of my life, the majority during the time that my brain was still growing.

What effect did it have on my personality? The way I think? The way my brain works on a biological level? . And could I have out-grown my bad behaviors or learned to control them? How different(or not) would I be?

I feel kind of the opposite. I was diagnosed late in life. I've failed out of 5 colleges. I've been told my entire life that I'm lazy, and worthless. My transcript reads A, A, F, A-, W, W, A, F, W, B, C, etc until was diagnosed last year. Now its 4.0 and I'm going graduate finally. I would describe my life as unsatisfied, and lonely. I can not recall a period where I could say that- life was pretty good, until the meds, and even now I have a lifetime of beating myself up built into my inner monologue. No accomplishment is satisfying or good enough to mean much. I told my mother that I was diagnosed, and her response without missing a beat- "Oh, I always thought you had something like that." So would that I could go back and be diagnosed when I started having problems in the 6th grade, I'd pay a dollar for that.

On the other hand, my non-medicated normal is just sort of a haze where not much matters. If its getting out of control- gently caress it is wasnt worth doing anyway. At a certain point, you start attempting things that are just too complicated and hard to fall prey to the procrastination bug.

Now the benefits of being diagnosed late is that I had to cope in order to get this far in life. I remember describing how my brain works was like an 8 track bus (like computers) where I can feed more information simultaneously. I've slowed down to between 2 and 4 tracks now, but it really makes it so you have more information faster than normal people who are much more linear in their input. What takes 3-5 sentences to explain to a normal person, I can pick up by hearing first 1.5 sentences, and I'm usually waiting and thinking about a critical response to their topic for the remaining 3.5 sentences. Analyzing complicated data? Recognizing trends? Predicting behavior? These are all things that I'm naturally good at because the ADHD brain is built for that, and I've managed to harness that part of it.

I suspect if you were on the other side of the fence, you'd be as pissed as I am that you had to struggle so hard for so long against something that you didn't know was your fault. Being normal and belonging is something that dominates my psychology. I'd give anything for it.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 17, 2011

Kuri
Jun 26, 2009

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks for this info. I was going to try Intuniv, but their website said for ages 6-17, and they won't even send me a free sample. I am aware it will take a few weeks to work, but that's what I actually want. Strattera was that way, too. Is there any benefit to taking Intuniv instead of Tenex ?

My doctor actually hooked me up with the initial month (since you titrate the dose up from 1mg/day to 4mg/day).

Intuniv is simply extended release guanfacine, whereas Tenex is instant release. With Intuniv, you take one pill a day (DEAR GOD TAKE IT IN THE MORNING) while you would take two with Tenex.

Obviously, the less pills you have to remember to take with a disorder that affects your ability to remember to take the pills in the first place can be helpful. That said, generic guanfacine (instant release) is substantially cheaper...it all depends on if taking one less pill is worth the extra cash for you.

Now, Intuniv helps with my impulsiveness and my organization, but absolutely nothing for my actual inattention or physical movements (foot-tapping, exagerated response to stupidity, etc). Strange, but there it is.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Hamburglar posted:

Interesting. I am going to talk about the Tenex with my doctor. My organization never improved on Straterra. And even with ADHD, I never, ever had a memory problem or forgot to do important stuff. So I can deal with the Tenex, for sure. Just out of curiosity, why the whole "take it in the morning" thing if it's not a stimulant?

I'm also confused about his morning dosing recommendation since this class of drugs (guanfacin, clonidine) typically cause sedation (especially at the start of treatment).

Kuri
Jun 26, 2009
Intuniv and Kapvay (extended release guanfacine and clonidine) do indeed cause somnolence...about 14-18 hours after you take it (more guanfacine than clonidine, as I believe clonidine hits a little faster due to the more generalized method of action).

When I started Intuniv (alongside my Adderall), I thought, "Hey! This will make me tired, so I'll take it with my vitamins right before bed." Two things wrong with that: one, as I said, Intuniv doesn't cause somnolence until much later than you'd expect; and two, guanfacine's absorption is increased when there is a high-fat environment. I had to look up the results from the FDA testing, and other first-hand reports from people taking guanfacine to isolate the timing issues.

Since I take my vitamins, including fish oil, right before bed and I don't eat anything after five or so, I was getting hit with wicked sleepiness mid-afternoon. It was horrendous.

Even though you'd think a few fish oil capsules wouldn't make a noticeable difference, that was the first thing I moved around. Although the drowsiness subsided a little, moving my dose to first thing in the morning made a tremendous difference. The peak effects (even with the titrated dosage after three months now) hit mid-morning and last until late evening.

One other mild benefit to guanfacine or clonidine? Your heart rate and blood pressure are much less affected by stimulants, so some of the more annoying side-effects aren't as bad for some people. Granted, this could also indicate that you are partially cancelling out the stimulants, but the combo has worked for me.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I have been very frustrated lately. No matter how good of a day I am having ADD-wise, lately it doesn't matter between my wife and daughter there is always chaos and it's like a huge wave I can't swim against. It's almost like there's no loving point to being better because I still can't accomplish anything in this environment.

Typing this post took a lot loving longer than it should have. constant loving interruptions.

I think I just need a loving break. My wife is either at work or "tired" so I have to be the parent 24/7 and it's making me frazzled. I feel like my nerves are exposed.

I know that there is a point to being medicated and it helps me to do better but it sure doesn't feel that way.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
My friend from university just gave me a slow-release Concerta pill to help with my study (two massive exams in a few days). Apparently it's a strong tablet.

I just ate it at 1pm my time, am I sleeping tonight?

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

PaoFerro posted:

My friend from university just gave me a slow-release Concerta pill to help with my study (two massive exams in a few days). Apparently it's a strong tablet.

I just ate it at 1pm my time, am I sleeping tonight?

Do you have ADD or ADHD?

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

Wartime Consigliere posted:

Do you have ADD or ADHD?

No, not diagnosed. I've taken Ritalin before a couple of times and it's had the desired effect of calm and concentration. I'm pretty terrible with concentration and attention spans anyway. I know this doesn't make me an ADD sufferer in any way, just trying to clarify that I'm not a super chilled person with no concentration problems.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

PaoFerro posted:

No, not diagnosed. I've taken Ritalin before a couple of times and it's had the desired effect of calm and concentration. I'm pretty terrible with concentration and attention spans anyway. I know this doesn't make me an ADD sufferer in any way, just trying to clarify that I'm not a super chilled person with no concentration problems.

So....No.

It really bugs me when people misuse ADHD meds because it makes it harder for people who actually need them to get them.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

So....No.

It really bugs me when people misuse ADHD meds because it makes it harder for people who actually need them to get them.

I'm not a smoker, drinker or a recreational drug user. My friend simply suggested I try it if I want to get a study session in. How am I misusing the drug? I'm using it to help me concentrate, which will benefit my marks. I'm very dedicated to my studies, this is simply a one-off which wasn't initiated by me at all.

This isn't an attack of any sort, I'm actually curious about how my consumption of one Concerta tablet makes it harder for other ADHD sufferers.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

PaoFerro posted:

Was your friend a doctor with a license to practice medicine? Were you diagnosed with ADHD by licensed psychiatrist or psychologist or doctor with a medical license? There's the problem.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010

TheBigBad posted:

Was your friend a doctor with a license to practice medicine? Were you diagnosed with ADHD by licensed psychiatrist or psychologist or doctor with a medical license? There's the problem.

I'm sure it was already understood my friend wasn't a doctor. I'm asking for someone to elaborate on the problems that it causes. I know I shouldn't be taking Concerta, as I'm not prescribed it. But do I think I'm personally causing trouble for other people by taking it once? No. I'd like to hear what problems are associated with misuse of ADHD medication, as I have no experience in this subject at all.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

PaoFerro posted:

I'm not a smoker, drinker or a recreational drug user. My friend simply suggested I try it if I want to get a study session in. How am I misusing the drug? I'm using it to help me concentrate, which will benefit my marks. I'm very dedicated to my studies, this is simply a one-off which wasn't initiated by me at all.

This isn't an attack of any sort, I'm actually curious about how my consumption of one Concerta tablet makes it harder for other ADHD sufferers.

Your actual illegal and irresponsible action is the very stereotype that we have to suffer and over come if we decided to disclose our condition. Whether its with friends, and employer or worse- the first thing they think about me when I say I have a problem its called ADHD is about you. And that sickens me.

I creates the perception that we need the medication, its just something kids use to cram for finals. You want to know what it does how it feels when you don't have the disorder- go to TCC.

TheBigBad fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 19, 2011

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

PaoFerro posted:

I'm sure it was already understood my friend wasn't a doctor. I'm asking for someone to elaborate on the problems that it causes. I know I shouldn't be taking Concerta, as I'm not prescribed it. But do I think I'm personally causing trouble for other people by taking it once? No. I'd like to hear what problems are associated with misuse of ADHD medication, as I have no experience in this subject at all.

Say a person in their early 20's goes to a doctor in their college town for their ADD symptoms. It will be harder for that person to get the help they need because a bunch of people in their age group misuse it as a study aid or abuse it as a recreational drug so then doctors are reluctant to prescribe them. That person is probably broke and doesn't have the money to keep trying different doctors. And that looks like you're doctor shopping, which is what someone who would abuse the drugs would do. So now you're even more hosed. And that's if you even go through with making the appointments or showing up to them.

Also the misconception that Big Bad mentioned is a bad side effect as well. The misuse and abuse of ADHD medication creates a stigma around ADHD and the medication used to treat and then some idiots believe ADHD is not even a real thing and/or ADHD meds are bad and will turn you into a reptile or whatever they believe. And we have to deal with those idiots because goddamn is it useless trying to educate someone who doesn't want to know.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am pretty sure that I could obtain ADD/ADHD medications illegally, but it's very difficult to get them legally unless I have a thorough examination and diagnosis that comes from an 8 hour battery of tests that costs 500 dollars. That's the dollar value I'm willing to put on the misuse of ADHD medication that many actual sufferers have to pay for.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Hi guys,

I have this weird thing going on where I decide that new activity X is the most engrossing, interesting subject in the world and then completely dropping it a couple of days later with almost a feeling of wondering why I was interested in it in the first place. It's a chronic problem; I've changed degree courses three times on what, looking back, were basically whims and I tend to jump in both feet first. It's a really strong feeling that I've only half-learned to ignore, but its getting depressing simply being unable to do anything worthwhile with my time. For example, in the last few months it's been (off the top of my head): Chef, write a book, landscape architect, design a Rube-Goldberg machine, draw, learn guitar, create a business, brew own beer, learn to code, become a malt whisky connoisseur, pick up watercolours, get into classic lit.

Anyway, does anyone else get this? Any idea if its an ADHD thing or perhaps some other disorder? After typing it out I could see it maybe having something to do with depression? I'm not diagnosed but it does run in the family. Or can I just chalk it up as a personality quirk that I have to deal with on my own?

I'm currently un-medicated, I'm guessing that may have something to do with it.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

strange posted:

Hi guys,

I have this weird thing going on where I decide that new activity X is the most engrossing, interesting subject in the world and then completely dropping it a couple of days later with almost a feeling of wondering why I was interested in it in the first place. It's a chronic problem; I've changed degree courses three times on what, looking back, were basically whims and I tend to jump in both feet first. It's a really strong feeling that I've only half-learned to ignore, but its getting depressing simply being unable to do anything worthwhile with my time. For example, in the last few months it's been (off the top of my head): Chef, write a book, landscape architect, design a Rube-Goldberg machine, draw, learn guitar, create a business, brew own beer, learn to code, become a malt whisky connoisseur, pick up watercolours, get into classic lit.

Anyway, does anyone else get this? Any idea if its an ADHD thing or perhaps some other disorder? After typing it out I could see it maybe having something to do with depression? I'm not diagnosed but it does run in the family. Or can I just chalk it up as a personality quirk that I have to deal with on my own?

I'm currently un-medicated, I'm guessing that may have something to do with it.

That by itself wouldn't be ADHD, but a lot of ADHD people do things just like that.

Look at the traits/symptoms and see how much of it fits, then if you have that Holy poo poo moment, go see a doc.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

That by itself wouldn't be ADHD, but a lot of ADHD people do things just like that.

Look at the traits/symptoms and see how much of it fits, then if you have that Holy poo poo moment, go see a doc.

I'm recently diagnosed with ADHD, but waiting times to see my doc are quite long and I keep getting given 2 week "trials" of concerta at different strengths. Is what I described in the above post likely to become less of a problem under correct medication, do you think? I will bring this up at my next appointment for sure.

Thanks.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

strange posted:

I'm recently diagnosed with ADHD, but waiting times to see my doc are quite long and I keep getting given 2 week "trials" of concerta at different strengths. Is what I described in the above post likely to become less of a problem under correct medication, do you think? I will bring this up at my next appointment for sure.

Thanks.

Well for me it has helped me be able to actually learn about things more in depth. Maybe things I had a passing interest in before are things I have a bigger interest in now. I can enjoy and appreciate these things so much more now.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

strange posted:

Thanks.

It will become less of a problem in that you wil get pas to some resistance in getting things done when you start on something. Bouncing from new thing to new thing is part disciple, part ignorance of what it takes to get into it. You get help with half of one of those two with meds. It's better than nothing.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Blame the fact that meds are hard to get on the government's misguided drug policies, not individuals' decisions about what to put in their bodies.

Or better yet, why don't we keep all discussions about the drugs in a non-ADHD context in TCC? This thread is about ADHD, which only makes it tangentially about ADHD meds. (Not trying to backseat mod, just a suggestion)

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande

Socket Ryanist posted:

Or better yet, why don't we keep all discussions about the drugs in a non-ADHD context in TCC? This thread is about ADHD, which only makes it tangentially about ADHD meds. (Not trying to backseat mod, just a suggestion)

Yes please. It's not like they don't have a whole thread just for that prupose.