Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You're looking at mid august at the earliest, possibly longer if issues are found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

bull3964 posted:

You're looking at mid august at the earliest, possibly longer if issues are found.

I'm guessing that's probably going to be the Droid Bionic, too. We've had nonstop issues with her Droid X. Hoping that can be attributed to the TI processor in there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rye Bread posted:

Hoping that can be attributed to the TI processor in there.

I'm not sure what you are getting at?

At any rate, the Bionic is going to be TI OMAP as well.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Unfortunately this is the result of HTC using subpar DAC hardware in their phones. You can alleviate/bypass the problem to some extent by using higher-impedance headphones, but it'll never sound as good as an iPod (or even some other phones like the original Galaxy S, after a bit of hacking).

Do you have a recommendation for a high imedance headphone? Preferably one that is an in-ear model that fits in the ear canal?

I have searched, but all I can find are a couple giant pairs of headphones, which probably sound great but would look really weird at my job where everyone uses earbuds.

Ectohawk
Oct 27, 2010

So now I am comparing the Droid X2 and the Droid Charge.

I really like the 4.3 inch screen and the physical buttons on both. I plan to do a lot of web browsing on the phone, and want the large screen experience. I like the dual core processor on the X2. The charge comes with more memory. I am not sure if I need 4G, but it would probably be really nice. Any other big differences or opinions on these 2 phones?

Do you currently have to pay extra for 4G coverage, or is it covered in the same 30 dollar data plan?

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure what you are getting at?

At any rate, the Bionic is going to be TI OMAP as well.

Sluggishness, random reboots, phone turning completely off, screen turning off and not coming back on, unresponsive buttons, speaker (both ear and speakerphone) and microphone not working at all on calls.. battery pull usually fixes it, but we shouldn't have to do it every 3 hours.
It was even rooted to remove bloatware to see if it was memory issues.
My company uses droid x's for management, and they all have the same issues (just not to the extent of hers). So it's not just a bad device.

I was hoping for it being a tegra , but I know there were issues with the lte.

Rye Bread fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 17, 2011

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Rye Bread posted:

Sluggishness, random reboots, phone turning completely off, screen turning off and not coming back on, unresponsive buttons, speaker (both ear and speakerphone) and microphone not working at all on calls.. battery pull usually fixes it, but we shouldn't have to do it every 3 hours.
It was even rooted to remove bloatware to see if it was memory issues.
My company uses droid x's for management, and they all have the same issues (just not to the extent of hers). So it's not just a bad device.

I was hoping for it being a tegra , but I know there were issues with the lte.

This is bizarre to me.

I've had 2 droid X's since launch day(7/15/10) and both get very, very heavy use. One of them has over 80 applications.

I've never had to get a replacement. I've had power cycle issues, seen delays in the screen waking up, etc. Since 2.3, I haven't had any issues, period. For me and everyone I know that I've recommended it to, it's been nothing but a solid phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My friend has a Droid X as well and it's been rock solid for him.

Pinning any problems on the SoC rather than the software is a little silly. Tegra 2 is kind of old hat already anyways. It spent too long in the oven and still came out undercooked. If tegra 2 would have come out on time in the first place, it would be considered last gen by now. OMAP 4xxx is just flat out a more advanced SoC.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Acrolos posted:

Do you have a recommendation for a high imedance headphone? Preferably one that is an in-ear model that fits in the ear canal?

I have searched, but all I can find are a couple giant pairs of headphones, which probably sound great but would look really weird at my job where everyone uses earbuds.

Unfortunately I solved the problem by using my iPod when I wanted to use my low impedance earbuds (Etymotic ER-6i) and only using the phone for Bluetooth audio streaming (which bypasses the crappy DAC), but you should be able to alleviate the problem somewhat by getting one of those extension cables with a built-in volume control, turning it down slightly, and cranking up the phone volume to compensate.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Clowcards posted:

So now I am comparing the Droid X2 and the Droid Charge.

I really like the 4.3 inch screen and the physical buttons on both. I plan to do a lot of web browsing on the phone, and want the large screen experience. I like the dual core processor on the X2. The charge comes with more memory. I am not sure if I need 4G, but it would probably be really nice. Any other big differences or opinions on these 2 phones?

Do you currently have to pay extra for 4G coverage, or is it covered in the same 30 dollar data plan?

The X2 uses a pentile matrix LCD :psyduck: which has so far been regarded as the worst phone screen choice yet (I personally think it looks like poo poo, and I have a pentile screen already).

The charge has the SAMOLED+, which is even better than the SAMOLED that's in the current crop of SGS phones.

LTE (It's not actually 4G yet) is dependent on your area. If it's available, go for it. Speeds are ridiculous and latency is almost down to cable broadband levels.

Currently, $30/month covers 3G or 4G, they haven't announced if/when LTE plans will go tiered, but it will likely happen eventually.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

AlexDeGruven posted:

The X2 uses a pentile matrix LCD :psyduck: which has so far been regarded as the worst phone screen choice yet (I personally think it looks like poo poo, and I have a pentile screen already).

What kind of screen does the Evo 4G have (that's what I have)? I really don't know what the difference is between screens besides LCD/AMOLED. Why is it regarded so poorly?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pizza Club posted:

What kind of screen does the Evo 4G have (that's what I have)?
Regular TFT LCD I think.

Pizza Club posted:

I really don't know what the difference is between screens besides LCD/AMOLED. Why is it regarded so poorly?
LCD screens consist of a backlit light source with pixels that darken to produce color, whereas AMOLED the pixels themselves produce light. The main difference is that AMOLED screens are known for having deeper blacks and much more vibrant color.

A related, but ultimately separate issue is the arrangement of subpixels. Traditionally, an LCD pixel is actually made of three differently-colored subpixels, a red, green, and blue triad. However, the first-generation AMOLED screens ditched this for a PenTile arrangement where red and blue pixels alternate on each side of green ones.

One of the things about subpixels is that the individual pixels contribute to the actual resolution of the device. So on a 480x800 traditional LCD, there's actually 1440 pixel columns, of different colors, which contributes to making black & white text look much sharper than if it were a 480 column black & white display.

However, a Pentile 480x800 AMOLED display only has 961 (?) pixel columns, so black & white text looks considerably less sharp than a traditional LCD. Some folks may futher notice the bizarre color pattern. Long story short, it pisses some folks off and the benefit of AMOLED displays, in their opinion, don't outweigh the nasty Pentile pattern. Other folks either don't see it, or aren't bothered by it.

Now we have Super AMOLED Plus displays out (i.e., in SGSIIs) with the traditional subpixel triad layout. And apparently the X2 has a PenTile LCD, which is a bizarre combination that combines the worst of LCD and AMOLED display properties.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On the fipside, the apparent argument for the PenTile LCD in the X2 is that it's considerably brighter (better outdoor visibility) and that it consumes less power. I have no idea if these translate to the real world or not.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I can't seem to find them now, but in the closeup comparison shots of the Droid X and the Droid X2 screens, the WVGA Droid X screen actually looks considerably sharper than the higher res. qHD screen in the X2. I mean if it improves power consumption then great, but personally I don't think that would be worth the image quality tradeoff.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Other folks either don't see it, or aren't bothered by it.

Yeah I don't see it on mine. It's a phone, not my home theater system.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

I mean if it improves power consumption then great, but personally I don't think that would be worth the image quality tradeoff.
I'm skeptical about the claims of improved power consumption without numbers. Traditionally, most of the power consumption in LCD displays is the backlight. I don't see how using fewer, larger subpixels improves energy consumption unless the pixels themselves are more transmissive (so the backlight doesn't have to be as bright), or by using a PenTile arrangement they can increase the tranmissive area.

Which could be the case, but it wasn't an obvious conclusion to me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Super Dude posted:

It's a phone, not my home theater system.
You read a bunch of tiny text on your home theater TV?

I do see it, I understand it's inferior, I'm just not particularly bothered by it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Super Dude posted:

Yeah I don't see it on mine. It's a phone, not my home theater system.

I see it, but it's not enough to bother me. Even then, I only really notice it with text, particularly in high-contrast situations. The vibrancy of the colors and the depth of the black (effectively total) are more than enough to compensate for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm skeptical about the claims of improved power consumption without numbers. Traditionally, most of the power consumption in LCD displays is the backlight. I don't see how using fewer, larger subpixels improves energy consumption unless the pixels themselves are more transmissive (so the backlight doesn't have to be as bright), or by using a PenTile arrangement they can increase the tranmissive area.

Which could be the case, but it wasn't an obvious conclusion to me.

The X2 uses a PenTile RGBW matrix. Since it adds a white subpixel, it can basically display the backlight directly. That's what leads to both the brighter display and less consumption claims. Since pure white is added to boost the luminance of the display, the backlight can be turned down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family#PenTile_RGBW

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You read a bunch of tiny text on your home theater TV?

I have a computer hooked up to it, so yes, I browse the internet and read a bunch of tiny text on my tv.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The X2 uses a PenTile RGBW matrix.
Ah, I assumed it was RGBG. Yes, this would definitely reduce power consumption for a given brightness.

Super Dude posted:

I have a computer hooked up to it, so yes, I browse the internet and read a bunch of tiny text on my tv.
I envy your distance vision, television size, or possibly both.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

you should be able to alleviate the problem somewhat by getting one of those extension cables with a built-in volume control, turning it down slightly, and cranking up the phone volume to compensate.

Thanks. It isn't ideal, but this did the trick. It should be fine for listening to stuff at work.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Heard some rumblings on twitter (@p3droid) that Verizon is switching to tiered data on July 7. I have an upgrade but none of the 4g phones seem that enticing right now especially since getting cm7 on my X. Really hoping these rumors don't pan out as I can't see the Bionic being out by then.

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury
Would it make sense to just get an acceptable 3G phone and just do some crazy returns until something comes out?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

jfreder posted:

Heard some rumblings on twitter (@p3droid) that Verizon is switching to tiered data on July 7. I have an upgrade but none of the 4g phones seem that enticing right now especially since getting cm7 on my X. Really hoping these rumors don't pan out as I can't see the Bionic being out by then.

This is nothing but speculation based on the free hotspot ending July 6.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 18, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

serewit posted:

As a former Verizon employee who had to fix the innumerable issues that chucklefucks from Cellular Sales caused for customers, I would advise anyone thinking of working for them to run far, far away. Everything Mighty Horse posted is 100% spot-on from my conversations with them, and on top of that, they practice incredibly shady practices with their customers - anything to close a sale. I can't count how many times they would resell equipment that had been returned as new, for instance.

That answers that then. Weird thing is my friend loves working there, and is a pretty ethical Guy. He insists the best part is commissions getting split between everyone working at the time, so even if you have bad luck and get service questions all day, you still make money. That's how I loosely have my sprint store run, that way people just take care of the customer. Meh, sprints been taking care of me fine anyway.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

serewit posted:

I can't count how many times they would resell equipment that had been returned as new, for instance.

Biggest pet peeve, right here. Many agent stores are notorious for this. Since the manufacturer's warranties explicitly state that used/resold equipment is not covered, Verizon won't process warranty replacements for these devices. It always turns into a fight over something that is neither mine nor the customer's fault. :argh:

Duckman2008 posted:

Guy
Why does Android insist on autocorrecting "guy" to "Guy"?

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

That answers that then. Weird thing is my friend loves working there, and is a pretty ethical Guy. He insists the best part is commissions getting split between everyone working at the time, so even if you have bad luck and get service questions all day, you still make money. That's how I loosely have my sprint store run, that way people just take care of the customer. Meh, sprints been taking care of me fine anyway.

Are your reps fairly motivated? I would hate working in a split commission setting. I would imagine it would allow too much dead weight and not properly reward people for their individual work.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

SpacedOut posted:

Why does Android insist on autocorrecting "guy" to "Guy"?

I guess Google is a fan? :tinfoil:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So I see the Droid 3 is right around the corner and poo poo am I excited for it. The only worrisome thing is that it seems the Chinese version only has 512 megs of RAM, and this seems to be a big deal I guess? A lot of comments on various articles online seem to think this is a deal breaker and that at least 1 gig of ram was expected. Being an Ally owner, I'm sure the phone will still be a significant improvement, but, if the US version has the same specs, is that something I should be concerned about?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

jfreder posted:

I thought we would only lose unlimited data if we had to change our actual calling plans. Upgrading your phpne and extending your contract would allow you to keep the unlimited data even after they announced the tiered data plans wouldn't it?

Unless they decide that you can only buy an iPhone 5 or a Droid Bionic without selecting the new plans. For example they did that before when you could no longer choose the pay per MB data plan. I think the XV6700 was the last phone to have that option. Hopefully a Verizon store rep can clear this up.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Marketing Shill posted:

I thought we would only lose unlimited data if we had to change our actual calling plans. Upgrading your phpne and extending your contract would allow you to keep the unlimited data even after they announced the tiered data plans wouldn't it?

Unless they decide that you can only buy an iPhone 5 or a Droid Bionic without selecting the new plans. For example they did that before when you could no longer choose the pay per MB data plan. I think the XV6700 was the last phone to have that option. Hopefully a Verizon store rep can clear this up.

Changing your rateplan generally wouldn't be related to your data plan. You should be able to switch to rateplan at any time without penalty.

Once you have unlimited data, you will keep it, unless:
A) Verizon requires one of the speculated tiered data plans with devices launched after the new plans take effect. This is similar to your XV6700 example.
B) Verizon requires one of the speculated tiered data plans for any smartphone activated after X date. This is similar to when they created the 3G Multimedia Phone category of devices (which they later reneged on).
C) You, after the speculated tiered data plans launch, voluntarily switch to one of said plans, you won't be able to switch back to unlimited data (assuming it's no longer offered).
D) There is a possibility that the speculated tiered data plans may be somehow built directly into some sort of new rateplan offering (e.g. family data plans). This was mentioned as a distinct possibility by Verizon's CFO. If you switch to one of these new rateplans, you won't be able to switch back to unlimited data (assuming it's no longer offered).

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

KingSlime posted:

So I see the Droid 3 is right around the corner and poo poo am I excited for it. The only worrisome thing is that it seems the Chinese version only has 512 megs of RAM, and this seems to be a big deal I guess? A lot of comments on various articles online seem to think this is a deal breaker and that at least 1 gig of ram was expected. Being an Ally owner, I'm sure the phone will still be a significant improvement, but, if the US version has the same specs, is that something I should be concerned about?

Deal breaker? No. Letdown? Yes, especially considering the Droid 3 has top-tier specs in every other category. There are no 1GB RAM Android devices currently offered by Verizon, but I would have expected at least 768MB of RAM, which is what the Thunderbolt and Incredible 2 have.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So how do you think the lackluster amount of ram might translate to the phone's performance? Is 512 still enough for the average user?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

KingSlime posted:

So how do you think the lackluster amount of ram might translate to the phone's performance? Is 512 still enough for the average user?

It's probably not a huge problem this month, but future OS updates could easily make it a big problem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/20/exclusive-tiered-data-plans-headed-to-verizon-july-7-packages-start-at-30-for-2gb/#more-37272

All I have to say is if they don't let me keep my current unlimited data and upgrade to a 4G phone, I will be leaving Verizon this year after 10 years. $30 for 2gb is a loving insult and there's really not even much point in getting a 4G phone then. Netflix would chew through that amount of data in no time flat.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
I recently got married and want to pull my phone and my wife's phone off of our parent's plans onto a family plan together. I am also an idiot when it comes to cell phone plans, so I really don't know what I am doing. I went and talked to the guy at Verizon and he gave me a number for Assumption of Liability. I gathered from him that the process is that each of our parents calls to release us and then I call to pick her line up. What I am curious about is how to do this and get new phones and contract for us. Ideally, I would like to pick us up smartphones while Verizon still offers the unlimited data and get the two of us together on a family plan. I know I got the email the other day that I could get a new phone, but I don't think she is quite due for one yet. What I am assuming I have to do is something like:
1. My dad releases me
2. I sign new individual contract, get new phone
3. Wait until she can get a new phone
4. Her dad releases her
5. I pick her line up
6. We get a family plan
7. She gets a new phone

But can I even do that? Will they let me go from an individual plan to a family plan and we both get the discounted phone upgrades?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

clayburn posted:

I recently got married and want to pull my phone and my wife's phone off of our parent's plans onto a family plan together. I am also an idiot when it comes to cell phone plans, so I really don't know what I am doing. I went and talked to the guy at Verizon and he gave me a number for Assumption of Liability. I gathered from him that the process is that each of our parents calls to release us and then I call to pick her line up. What I am curious about is how to do this and get new phones and contract for us. Ideally, I would like to pick us up smartphones while Verizon still offers the unlimited data and get the two of us together on a family plan. I know I got the email the other day that I could get a new phone, but I don't think she is quite due for one yet. What I am assuming I have to do is something like:
1. My dad releases me
2. I sign new individual contract, get new phone
3. Wait until she can get a new phone
4. Her dad releases her
5. I pick her line up
6. We get a family plan
7. She gets a new phone

But can I even do that? Will they let me go from an individual plan to a family plan and we both get the discounted phone upgrades?

Where are the both of you in your 2 years under your parents' contracts?

If you're not bound with ETF, it might just be easier for you to start a completely new family plan with you and your wife, canceling/porting the old lines afterward. Not sure if you can port numbers between accounts on VZW, though, so that could be a snag if you want to keep your existing #s.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice

AlexDeGruven posted:

Where are the both of you in your 2 years under your parents' contracts?

If you're not bound with ETF, it might just be easier for you to start a completely new family plan with you and your wife, canceling/porting the old lines afterward. Not sure if you can port numbers between accounts on VZW, though, so that could be a snag if you want to keep your existing #s.

I think mine is up in August and hers is up in September. I do know I got an email from them the other day saying that I could upgrade my phone now, although I don't know what exactly that means for my contract. I can check the email after work to see exactly what it says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

clayburn posted:

I think mine is up in August and hers is up in September. I do know I got an email from them the other day saying that I could upgrade my phone now, although I don't know what exactly that means for my contract. I can check the email after work to see exactly what it says.

You can upgrade 2 months before your contract is up. You'd still have to wait to port off, though.

Sounds like you're better off doing the liability transfer.

• Locked thread