Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

RadicalR posted:

I hear the 360 version is better - the PS3 has screen tear problems. But that's going off what other goons have said.

OK, after a little research (Wikipedia) this totally makes sense. Japan got two versions - Nier Gestalt which was exclusive to the 360 and has the older protagonist that we know, and Nier Replicant which was PS3 exclusive and has a femmy teen boy protagonist instead. We, of course, got the 360 version, but here it was also ported to PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I was at a local game store today, and I found a copy of Skies of Arcadia for twenty bucks. The problem is that it's a Euro import, but given all the rave reviews I've heard about it, I have to ask, is it worth getting a boot disk for? What are the general viewpoints on the game before I go and dump cash on it?

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

S-Alpha posted:

I was at a local game store today, and I found a copy of Skies of Arcadia for twenty bucks. The problem is that it's a Euro import, but given all the rave reviews I've heard about it, I have to ask, is it worth getting a boot disk for? What are the general viewpoints on the game before I go and dump cash on it?

I remembering it being a really cool game, exploring and battling with your airship is really neat. The biggest problem with the game is the random encounter rate is ridiculously high, I'd say go for it if stuff like that usually doesn't bother you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh man, I've been playing DQV (I'm at the third act now) and I gotta say, it has the best story. It really makes you care for these characters. Also, everything is done "in-engine" which raises immersion through the roof - the scene at the end of act 1 where your father gets brutally beaten down, in the battle system itself, is a highlight.

The only thing I can't stand is the traditional DQ grinding before every boss. Thankfully I can cheat my way past that with an exp multiplier. I figure if I'm just gonna do the same thing over and over, why not speed it up?

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I don't really feel that the DQ games require as much grinding as people say they do. The buffs are really powerful/useful in combat, and you'll get a lot of equipment that can be used for amazing effects (often duplicating some of the more useful spells to save MP).

Tempbot
Nov 22, 2005

by angerbot

SpaceDrake posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 is an objectively bad game, though. :colbert: I will not be persuaded otherwise. It was Bioware's first RPG, and it showed in so many ways. BG2 is infinitely better and I will not tell anyone who played BG2 to go back to BG1.

Low level D&D combat is an acquired taste without doubt. Personally I enjoy challenging low level combat in nearly all RPGs or strategy games, because in the good ones it often involves intelligent gambles with no guaranteed outcomes. Baldur's gate 1 is the examplar of this.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

pyromance posted:

I don't really feel that the DQ games require as much grinding as people say they do. The buffs are really powerful/useful in combat, and you'll get a lot of equipment that can be used for amazing effects (often duplicating some of the more useful spells to save MP).

In the recent DS remakes they certainly don't, but people who recall the old ones aren't wrong. (And DQVI, tweaked or not, still had a brick wall or two.)

Also gently caress DQVII for that too. That was awful.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Really, DQ 4-6 were just really solid games on the original systems (haven't played the remakes, but I'm glad to see them get recognition finally). I-III were definitely grind heavy (especially II; that one had some bullshit fight possibilities, particularly around Rhone), but I'm not really sure they were any worse a grind than any of the other RPGs that were released around the same time, which is something I think other people overlook when they look back at them.

I haven't played VII, but I've heard things about it that make me feel alright for missing it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

pyromance posted:

I haven't played VII, but I've heard things about it that make me feel alright for missing it.

Between PS1 load times for battles/transitions, the sheer linear MESS of the game for most of it, and how some sections drag on for an hour or more past where you want them to end, you're totally in the right for that. I've sworn to myself the only way I'm ever gonna replay/finish it is if they do a portable remake or something that'll let me take care of the miserable bits on the can or the train.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Between PS1 load times for battles/transitions, the sheer linear MESS of the game for most of it, and how some sections drag on for an hour or more past where you want them to end, you're totally in the right for that. I've sworn to myself the only way I'm ever gonna replay/finish it is if they do a portable remake or something that'll let me take care of the miserable bits on the can or the train.

The best way to replay it is in epsxe, with the your graphics settings turned way down and the framerate limiter off any time you're grinding. That way you can grind at 10x normal speed or faster and get on with your life. Hell, I do that for most any psx rpg.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Also gently caress DQVII for that too. That was awful.
Every fourth boss or so was a goddamn brick wall :argh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

U.T. Raptor posted:

Every fourth boss or so was a goddamn brick wall :argh:

Until you get a Godhand, then few bosses stand a chance to your UltraHit spam.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

dis astranagant posted:

The best way to replay it is in epsxe, with the your graphics settings turned way down and the framerate limiter off any time you're grinding. That way you can grind at 10x normal speed or faster and get on with your life. Hell, I do that for most any psx rpg.

I don't think that you need to grind in FFVII, unless you want to kill the optional bosses or do Chocobo breeding. The final boss is actually easier if you don't grind and are below a certain level.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Konstantin posted:

I don't think that you need to grind in FFVII, unless you want to kill the optional bosses or do Chocobo breeding. The final boss is actually easier if you don't grind and are below a certain level.

Think they're talking about the DQ series, not FF.

Also random battles in general are a grind. After my childhood just the feeling of the screen freezing and battle music kicking in makes me feel annoyed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Konstantin posted:

Who said anything about FFVII? We're talkin DQVII, one of the grindiest fuckin games ever. The fastest path to an advanced class takes around 1500 battles starting ~12-20 hours in and that's not even touching monster classes, living and breathing lucky panel or getting any abilities not directly related to beating the piss out of things. Sad thing is, you can actually get that by the end of the game without doing anything the game would consider excessive grinding.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

What were the good RPGs for the Wii?

Or hell, has anyone played every RPG on the Wii and can give a quick review? There's only like 12 for what I figure.

The Fire Emblem game was decent, and the Phantom Brave game is pretty good as well.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

dis astranagant posted:

Who said anything about FFVII? We're talkin DQVII, one of the grindiest fuckin games ever. The fastest path to an advanced class takes around 1500 battles starting ~12-20 hours in and that's not even touching monster classes, living and breathing lucky panel or getting any abilities not directly related to beating the piss out of things. Sad thing is, you can actually get that by the end of the game without doing anything the game would consider excessive grinding.

Don't forget that grinding TOO much in an area would actually make it so that you didn't level up in your jobs anymore, but it would not tell you this.

Dragon Quest VII was the death of that series for a reason and I'm glad they really reworked it from VIII onwards.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Don't forget that grinding TOO much in an area would actually make it so that you didn't level up in your jobs anymore, but it would not tell you this.

Dragon Quest VII was the death of that series for a reason and I'm glad they really reworked it from VIII onwards.

To be fair, it would have been passable if they hadn't tried to stretch DQVI into a 150 hour slog and just stretch everything out to fit that time frame. And you really only have to worry about those caps if you go metal hunting heavily. Or sit in disc 1 areas til endgame levels.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Have you guys been thinking about what you're posting? Jobs stop getting points when you are too high a level for the area you're at... and this is an example of how grindy DQ7 is? No, I'm pretty sure it's an explicit anti-grinding measure. Not that it's a great thing that they don't tell you about it, I wouldn't defend that, but it's a way to punish grinding none the less.

The entire series after a certain point early on moved away from grinding as a strategy and DQ7 is no exception. Levels give poo poo for attributes and next to nothing in the way of skills (at least in the case of DQ7), with the focus instead being on equipment. Grinding barely helped in DQ7, to the extent that I feel very sorry about anybody who required and practiced it to overcome a difficult boss, instead of, you know, changing their strategies.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nene. posted:

Have you guys been thinking about what you're posting? Jobs stop getting points when you are too high a level for the area you're at... and this is an example of how grindy DQ7 is? No, I'm pretty sure it's an explicit anti-grinding measure. Not that it's a great thing that they don't tell you about it, I wouldn't defend that, but it's a way to punish grinding none the less.

The entire series after a certain point early on moved away from grinding as a strategy and DQ7 is no exception. Levels give poo poo for attributes and next to nothing in the way of skills (at least in the case of DQ7), with the focus instead being on equipment. Grinding barely helped in DQ7, to the extent that I feel very sorry about anybody who required and practiced it to overcome a difficult boss, instead of, you know, changing their strategies.

In DW7, grinding is often a requirement for changing your strategy. You don't grind levels, you grind hundreds of battles in order to get the skills you want/need to get the job done.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

dis astranagant posted:

In DW7, grinding is often a requirement for changing your strategy. You don't grind levels, you grind hundreds of battles in order to get the skills you want/need to get the job done.

Except... you don't? Like I said, I feel sorry for you, because it certainly wasn't a requirement from my experience.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

nene. posted:

Except... you don't? Like I said, I feel sorry for you, because it certainly wasn't a requirement from my experience.

You're a lucky man then, because I've still got a PS1 memory card sitting around with a DQ7 save on it, last spot before the endboss, party at level 49, and I could still never kill the fucker. The official guide even said "hey you should be cool at 45 or so" and I haven't killed him to this day. But it means I either need to switch EVERYONE'S jobs (so start grinding them from level 1 in a new profession for skills they don't have... and all I can fight at my level for JP is stuff in the final dungeon) or grind PERIOD for more health.

You picked all the right skills without knowing it, and I'm glad one of us did! I didn't have that going for me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heh, I was maybe 35 but I had UltraHit on 2 characters. But I can easily see someone loving up the class system bad enough to be completely screwed. Like running for things like ranger, pirate and tamer on multiple people (having one guy for that ain't a bad idea, however).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I decided to look at the Class Guide on gamefaqs just to see what the class system is like that you guys are complaining about and god drat, that looks ridiculous. Also, this was the first paragraph in the guy's intro to his guide:

quote:

##################################################
SECTION 1 - INTRODUCTION
##################################################

I won't try to lie to you. I hate Dragon Warrior VII. It is, quite
possibly, the most arduous, tedious, laborious RPG I've ever played.
I find no redeeming value in this game. It is not fun, nor is it
entertaining.

I'm a sucker for pointless leveling/grinding, but holy crap this game sounds soul-crushingly tedious.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Haha it seriously requires that you fight a flat amount of battles to master a class? That is 100% terrible.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah there's really no redeeming value to playing DQ7. It's basically a checkbox in most people's game lists, on a system that had a massive glut of RPGs on it at the time.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dragon Quest VII was the first piece of media to ever provoke the "Japaaaan!!!:argh:" reaction in me.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

VDay posted:

I decided to look at the Class Guide on gamefaqs just to see what the class system is like that you guys are complaining about and god drat, that looks ridiculous.

Yeah, let me sum this up in more detail for you, people who have not played DQ7:

There are three tiers of classes. Each class has 8 levels to it - you gain each level by fighting X number of battles. Most will give you a new skill/spell. If you master a class (by maxing out all 8 levels), combinations of some mastered classes unlock a higher-tier class to start all over with. It's basically what DQ6's system was, for those of you who played the DS rerelease, just DQ7 took around 1.5 times as long.

The awful part comes in when you realize there's an entire extra tree of these: Monster Classes. You can get some monsters' hearts as a drop from them when you kill them. Having a character hold one when changing classes consumes it but lets them turn into that from anytime further. A lot of basic monster classes suck hard, but you want to finish them since their hearts are easier to come by than later ones (where really, really good skills reside). They, too, have three tiers. And again, you need to find one heart PER character, so that's its own grind...

Yeah. DQ7 is one of the most miserable JRPGs ever.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Actually, some of the basic monster classes are way harder to get than many higher classes thanks to lucky panel. There's 2 or 3 basics that you can't get nor get descendants of from lucky panel, which means you have to farm them for a million years trying to get a heart. I want to say it's BoltRat and Lizardman. Luckily you can get a platking heart for tiny medals, so you're guaranteed that on one character (probably Gabo).

Not that it matters. The one true way to annihilate the gently caress out of the game is to rush hero and melvin to GodHand while Maribel and/or Aira go TeenIdol and Gabo picks up the shepherd and thief based jobs or random monster classes. Vacuum comes fast and is crazy overpowered til you hit RockThrow and really stop caring that random encounters exist. This breaks down postgame, but that's your problem for being enough of a worthless loving sperg to do the postgame.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 18, 2011

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Huh, I guess I didn't miss out on anything good when I got bored with DQVII. It was my first experience with DQ, too. I played through the intro (goddamn 2-hour intro where NOTHING happens :argh:), got to the first battle, and it was a bunch of stupid-looking slimes and nothing was even animated (I was conditioned by modern FFs by this point). I never looked at it again. Luckily IX came out on the DS and was sufficiently FF-ized so I could play it. You could even see your dudes!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The drat Dharma Temple is one of the biggest 'gently caress You Player' moment I have ever played through.

First, some time before the Temple itself, you lose a party member. So you are down one man, but that is not a huge deal. Then you go to the Temple and have to play through a large (1-2 hour) dungeon, which is not bad in of itself either.

BUT THEN the game decides to take away all you magic skills, rendering your mage-like character into an item mule (I don't remember if there were any skilled weapons at that point, so I could be wrong), and reduces your Hero to half capacity. The third member mercifully keeps most of his skills, though.

It was just a horribly unpleasant segment of gameplay.

I heard that, during development, after a information leak by Famitsu on DQVII, the entire game at that point was scrapped. Honestly, I think it kinda shows in terms of pacing.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 18, 2011

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Drunken Butterfly posted:

I remembering it being a really cool game, exploring and battling with your airship is really neat. The biggest problem with the game is the random encounter rate is ridiculously high, I'd say go for it if stuff like that usually doesn't bother you.

If it's the gamecube version they reduced the encounter rate and added seven extra bosses you can fight at various points in the game, all in all it's a pretty amazing game with a lush overworld, think Just Cause 2's island levels of exploration in a ship that fires giant loving harpoons at people, in the sky. drat good game.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I had a strange breakthrough today with older games. Generally I find that I don't care much about the characters in older games that I didn't play when they were new, the lack of cinematics and graphics has really hurt. Today though in FF4 I actually had a care for the characters. This is awesome! I didn't think another old game would ever draw me in again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Does anybody wanna give me beginner (like, first 20 mins of the game) tips on starting out in Etrian Odyssey 3? It just sort of...starts, tells you to create a bunch of guys, gives them some skill points, and tells you to go. I have no idea what I should be doing with the skill points I have, for example. Should I just run around and get a feel for how the game works and then restart when I inevitably realize I hosed something up?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VDay posted:

Should I just run around and get a feel for how the game works and then restart when I inevitably realize I hosed something up?

That's what I've been doing since 1988, when playing these games. (Unless the manual explicitly tells you what's important and what's not, as was often the case.) I can't really imagine doing it any other way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VDay posted:

Does anybody wanna give me beginner (like, first 20 mins of the game) tips on starting out in Etrian Odyssey 3?

If it's anything like EO2, don't worry too much about your skills since you can just redistribute your points at a guild-like shop. I think they even let you do it for free. You will, in fact, probably be doing this a lot even if you do over-level, because you'll be passing through areas with varying primary enemy weaknesses. You just get the points in a pool, then reassign them however you need to.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's what I've been doing since 1988, when playing these games. (Unless the manual explicitly tells you what's important and what's not, as was often the case.) I can't really imagine doing it any other way.

I usually don't mind too much, but there's like a coupla dozen skills per class so I'm sort of overwhelmed and am just wondering if there's anything I should pay close attention to. I realized what Rest does though so yeah just gonna jump in since I can reset the skill points anyway.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Rascyc posted:

Yeah there's really no redeeming value to playing DQ7. It's basically a checkbox in most people's game lists, on a system that had a massive glut of RPGs on it at the time.
I recommend reading the LP at least. Some of the subplots are pretty good (that petrified town :gonk:).

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009
I didn't mind DQVII as much as others have been saying, guess I got lucky with my skills/jobs as I didn't need to grind forever. It wasn't really too bad for an old-school RPG, which I was looking for at the time.

About the monster classes: I totally didn't know about them until after beating the game, just sounds like something they put in for completionists. It could actually hurt your development of your "real" class as you have no way of knowing which ones are good ahead of time.

Funny that no one mentioned those easily missable shard pieces you needed. I think I had to hit GameFAQs for one of those I couldn't find for the life of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Butterfly
Jan 6, 2011

NO SWEETS!

Polite Tim posted:

If it's the gamecube version they reduced the encounter rate and added seven extra bosses you can fight at various points in the game, all in all it's a pretty amazing game with a lush overworld, think Just Cause 2's island levels of exploration in a ship that fires giant loving harpoons at people, in the sky. drat good game.

Oh, I didn't know it was ported to the Gamecube. Yes, absolutely get the Gamecube version then. Hell, I might have to get it now.