Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Everyone should just start reading RRR. Its nice reading something where the characters might have a chance at actual development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
RRR is a good manga with a lot of heart, even if I'm not entirely sure where it is headed.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Jose posted:

Everyone should just start reading RRR. Its nice reading something where the characters might have a chance at actual development

How about Tough? Sure the main character is somewhat of a Mary Sue, but at least the fights don't stretch into 5 chapter staring matches.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I keep up with that, but its more MMA and is slightly over that line of realistic that I feel it should more go in the seinen thread. That and the first 42 volume series only has like 13 volumes scanned so you have to skip massive amounts.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I just imagined that morikawa's editors told him to start wrapping up the series. He accomplished it by having Martinez retire, and a tournament at the world level to crown the new champion. Fights that would occur are:

Miyata v Sendo
Ippo v Vorg 2
Ippo v miyata in the finals

What other fights do you think there should be?

igotbored
Mar 29, 2010
Takamura has some title fights that aren't complete gimmicks. Hawk and Eagle were some of the high points of the series.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is there a list anywhere of all of the good fights and what chapters they're covered by?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Soth posted:

How about Tough? Sure the main character is somewhat of a Mary Sue, but at least the fights don't stretch into 5 chapter staring matches.
Wow, Tough is pretty good. It's about every martial arts cliche ever rolled into one though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love Tough. It's like a slightly more realistic Baki but without the somewhat unsettling art.

My favorite part of the current arc is that it's not enough that that guy was just raised by monkeys, oh no. He also needs chameleon eyes for no apparent reason.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 15, 2011

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Sindai posted:

I love Tough. It's like a slightly more realistic Baki but without the INCREDIBLY HOMOEROTIC art.

Agreed, it's a fun, somewhat grounder series. Whereas Baki went rapidly into :wtc: territory.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hey, want a good fighting manga that's incredibly depressing?

Try Shamo.

Smart kid cracks under pressure and murders his parents, gets sent to jail-like juvie reform school, has exactly the quality of experience you would expect there, learns martial arts from old crazy guy, then the series follows the incredibly lovely trajectory his life takes as he becomes obsessed with fighting. It's okay though because nobody else gets a good ending either.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Fabricated posted:

Hey, want a good fighting manga that's incredibly depressing?

Try Shamo.

Smart kid cracks under pressure and murders his parents, gets sent to jail-like juvie reform school, has exactly the quality of experience you would expect there, learns martial arts from old crazy guy, then the series follows the incredibly lovely trajectory his life takes as he becomes obsessed with fighting. It's okay though because nobody else gets a good ending either.

Yeah, except Shamo ends half way through a story arc and is never coming back. So be prepared for that dissapointment. Still great, though!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
You can also go read Holyland. That's pretty good, if slow to update.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

shamo was alright then it sort of went off the deep end. So... not really a great replacement for ippo all told.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

New chapter out.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's a good comic again! We'll see how long this lasts.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
This chapter just proves that this manga had reached the point where it is better at doing gags while talking about boxing rather than actual boxing. And honestly, if it just stuck with the former and continued doing it well, I wouldn't mind.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Unlike some of the other aspects of the manga, I think the humour has always been pretty good and hasn't declined at all during the years.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Hortism posted:

Unlike some of the other aspects of the manga, I think the humour has always been pretty good and hasn't declined at all during the years.

Who wouldn't enjoy this manga if it had more penis jokes and Takamura pooping out bugs :allears:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo, Kamogawa's face was PERFECT. I laughed alot too during this chapter, hopefully the Takamura match will make up for the weeks of lovely training and buildup chapters, but I really doubt it. Takamura doesn't really have "good" fights unless they are built up beforehand.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Goddamn; at the risk of overplaying this joke, I think I know how a battered wife feels like right now. Chapters and chapters of treating your readers like poo poo, then you come out with one chapter that made me laugh out loud. 'He's not all that bad, I mean, look at this one chapter!'

Whatever. I'm gonna relish this laugh out loud chapter, and keep on hoping this manga keeps pulling up from the nosedive that it's been in.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

okay this once again proves that this manga is much better every time Takamura is more directly involved.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ilifin posted:

okay this once again proves that this manga is much better every time Takamura is more directly involved.

Except for during his last match, when he forgot how to box for no particular reason. lovely, lovely fight

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I think our husband just brought home some flowers and chocolates. He'll be different from now on right? It'll be like this always forever and ever?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Heh, maybe this time he'll have a bamboo punch or an endangered counter instead of a beetle uppercut.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

tazman posted:

I think our husband just brought home some flowers and chocolates. He'll be different from now on right? It'll be like this always forever and ever?

He even made a joke about how long and drawn out the fight was. Like he's not going to do it again or something.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tazman posted:

Ohhh Morikawa-san, you shouldn't have bothered :blush:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It will only last until next chapter, when Morikawa stumbles in late at night, drunk and angry. Please, George. Not in front of the children.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Not impressed by this chapter and I'm not sure why people would be.

If this is as good as it gets, this ain't good.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's good because instead of Ippo brooding for 20 chapters about how he doesn't know how to box anymore, he got told he did the right thing and to never do it again, and then amazingly Takamura actually left locker room. It was amazing because more than 1 thing happened in a chapter.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Sir Lucius posted:

It's good because instead of Ippo brooding for 20 chapters about how he doesn't know how to box anymore, he got told he did the right thing and to never do it again, and then amazingly Takamura actually left locker room. It was amazing because more than 1 thing happened in a chapter.

That's only good in comparison. It was, on any other scale, absolutely terrible.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Yeah, except Shamo ends half way through a story arc and is never coming back. So be prepared for that dissapointment. Still great, though!

Holy crap Shamo is amazing. Ryo is what I imagine The Boss from Saints Row would be like, all psychotic and amazingly villainous.

Ippo: I feel bad because I did not really box today, I just hit a guy I was mad at.
Ryo: I wanna fight this guy. I'm gonna rape his girlfriend to egg him on.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

BOrangeFury posted:

Holy crap Shamo is amazing. Ryo is what I imagine The Boss from Saints Row would be like, all psychotic and amazingly villainous.

I kinda want to turn this thread into a Shamo reminiscing party. Since we will never find out what happens in the Grand Cross Tournament (I was hoping for Ryo to completely and utterly crush Toma since dancing DOES NOT EQUAL fighting)

Except for a crappy mystical Kung Fu arc in China, Shamo really was an awesome example of a semi-realistic fighting manga.

Ippo: "I must get stronger for my next fight by hammering logs into a hillside."

Ryo: "I must get stronger for my next fight by TAKING STEROIDS." :colbert:

Anyway, lets get back to Ippo. Lets hope this fight gives him the motivation to move onto the World Stage. There's nothing left to do in Japan when you can one shot a guy two weight classes above you. :qq: "But its not boxing!" :qq:

p.s. Best fight would be between Ryo and Ippo. Ryo immediately disqualifies himself by kicking Ippo in his comically large penis.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Machine posted:

Anyway, lets get back to Ippo. Lets hope this fight gives him the motivation to move onto the World Stage.

Ahahhahahahaa, while we're at it we can also hope Ippo finally gets to first base with Kumi. Or that the author and artist of Shamo reach an agreement and continue the series.

Edit: What will happen first? Ippo facing the World or Guts reaching Elf Island?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 20, 2011

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

trucutru posted:

Ahahhahahahaa, while we're at it we can also hope Ippo finally gets to first base with Kumi. Or that the author and artist of Shamo reach an agreement and continue the series.

Edit: What will happen first? Ippo facing the World or Guts reaching Elf Island?

Well, Berserk is actually moving forward. It is just doing so at an incredibly glacial pace. Ippo shows no signs of ever moving on right now.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

trucutru posted:

Or that the author and artist of Shamo reach an agreement and continue the series.

I just got up to the ballet dancer. Christ Ryo, just tear the contents of his dance-belt off him and be done with it.

Oh, and Ippo needs to smash people in the face more.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, you know the latest chapter of Ippo that some people are claiming is legitimately good? Still a piece of poo poo compared to RRR- http://www.mangafox.com/manga/rrr/v02/c011/1.html. Saying a chapter is good for HnI is damning it with faint praise.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, you know the latest chapter of Ippo that some people are claiming is legitimately good? Still a piece of poo poo compared to RRR- http://www.mangafox.com/manga/rrr/v02/c011/1.html. Saying a chapter is good for HnI is damning it with faint praise.

RRR is so loving good. Is it currently running in Japan? Or is it done already?

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

trucutru posted:

A man's dreams will never die! :zoro:

RRR is pretty good, I look forward to new chapters.

Is the next Takamura fight going to be a joke match or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
There was absolutely no development of his adversary beyond a very brief appearance at a press conference so... probably.