Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not sure if you can port numbers between accounts on VZW, though, so that could be a snag if you want to keep your existing #s.

Can't "port" numbers between Verizon accounts. The only possibility, which I do NOT recommend, is to port to another company's prepaid service, wait 30 days, then port back. You'd have to wait 30 days, because anything less than that we would just reactivate the old account (making it look like we gained a "new" customer when we really didn't is not good business practice).

Also, you can upgrade 4 months before the end of your contract.

Cayburn:
You can move any Verizon number between accounts at any time, whether you're under contract or not, without penalty or fee. The upgrade schedule is "sticky," though, meaning it will transfer with the number.

You should be able to upgrade no problem. Be sure to assume liability, THEN do the upgrade. Reason being, when the liability change is processed the legal owner of whatever device is active on your number at that time will change from your parent to you, voiding the warranty (see my post in the middle of the previous page for more info).

As far as your wife goes, you have four possible options:
- Transfer her number now and wait for her upgrade date.
- Transfer her number later, when she's eligible to upgrade. You would just go on to a single plan, then switch to a Family SharePlan at that time (no penalty).
- Create a new number for her on your account to qualify for new equipment.
- See if anyone else on her parent's account is upgrade eligible, and (assuming that person doesn't want a new phone anytime soon) use that upgrade to get her a new phone, then assume liability of her line.

Also, are you sure you went to a corporate store? Corporate locations will be able to do all of this on the spot. If you/your wife are authorized account managers you're able to approve liability transfers. If you're not, have your parent(s) call in and pre-authorize the transfers.

If you were at a corporate store and they wouldn't do this for you, you got someone who was either lazy, incompetent, or both. Sorry.

P.S. Make sure you have them check to see if you or your wife qualifies for an employee discount (or just ask me. I may know off the top of my head if it's a larger company.). If your wife does and you don't, you'll need to put the account in her name. Be sure to have a recent (<60 days old) paystub for proof of employment.

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice

SpacedOut posted:

Thanks, that information is really helpful. I was in a corporate store I believe. I'm pretty sure they could have done it there, but I was mainly going with along my dad for information on what to do and for him to get an iPhone. It wasn't until later that I wondered about the timing of it all.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

gently caress verizon. Seriously.

"Droid Life posted:

Data plans:
2GB –$30/month
5GB –$50/month
10GB –$80/month
If you would like to add tethering on to any of those packages, you can purchase 2GB of data at an additional cost of $20 per month.

I use about 6-8GB a month (no, I don't tether).

I was planning to upgrade to the bionic.

My upgrade isn't available until August 4th.

I'm hosed.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you're on unlimited you'll be grandfathered

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

If you're on unlimited you'll be grandfathered

Upgrading your device and renewing your contract doesn't nix this?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

gently caress verizon. Seriously.

I use about 6-8GB a month (no, I don't tether).

I was planning to upgrade to the bionic.

My upgrade isn't available until August 4th.

I'm hosed.

As some other people have said, you can use your upgrade early. Naturally you won't get a bionic though.

You should probably use it now to get whatever you think is the best 4g phone, and then buy "used" bionic off ebay or something, and then sell your current. This kind of movement usually lets you keep your current plan, since you're not signing a new contract with Verizon. Other people doing this will probably drive up the price of the bionic and down the price of whatever you have though. Worst thing that happens is that you find out this would change your plan, and you settle for 2 years of unlimited 4g anyway.

Unless, of course, August is your early upgrade.

As a side note, this is $5 more than the att data plan tiering, which is already a terrible deal compared to sprint and t-mobile.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah, that $30 is surprising. It's like they're saying "here, ATT, let us hand you your advertising program for the next year".

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Can anyone give me a breakdown of voice and texting pricing?

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
There goes all possibility of having a decent amount of data with a functional phone.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Are people actually surprised? Everyone knew this was coming at least 6 months in advance, and it's pretty likely they're going to let people keep their $30 unlimited contracts they're on right now, at least until they upgrade to 4G phones.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/20/exclusive-tiered-data-plans-headed-to-verizon-july-7-packages-start-at-30-for-2gb/#more-37272

All I have to say is if they don't let me keep my current unlimited data and upgrade to a 4G phone, I will be leaving Verizon this year after 10 years. $30 for 2gb is a loving insult and there's really not even much point in getting a 4G phone then. Netflix would chew through that amount of data in no time flat.

Same here. I've been a Verizon customer since 1996, but I will be leaving if I am not allowed to keep my unlimited data...or at least be given a more reasonable option. I listen to Sirius XM's app for about 3-4 hours a day, and usually end up around 1.5gb a month. With that said, I am too close to the 2gb cap on a monthly basis...and I refuse to monitor my usage constantly to avoid overage charges.

I'm a free agent when it comes to services, because I've been getting warranty replacement upgrades for the past two years for some reason. I am not going to jump to the Thunderbolt (battery life is too important for me) or the Charge (bad experiences with Samsung) just to grandfather myself in for two years.

I'm just going to be happy with my Incredible 2 until the next great phone comes out for Sprint, and then I'm jumping.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 20, 2011

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

Can anyone give me a breakdown of voice and texting pricing?

Check the OP.

There are also three standalone messaging plans not detailed in the OP:
$5/mo - 250 messages
$10/mo - 500 messages plus unlimited M2M messaging
$20/mo - 5,000 messages plus unlimited M2M messaging

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

SpacedOut posted:

Changing your rateplan generally wouldn't be related to your data plan. You should be able to switch to rateplan at any time without penalty.

Once you have unlimited data, you will keep it, unless:
A) Verizon requires one of the speculated tiered data plans with devices launched after the new plans take effect. This is similar to your XV6700 example.
B) Verizon requires one of the speculated tiered data plans for any smartphone activated after X date. This is similar to when they created the 3G Multimedia Phone category of devices (which they later reneged on).
C) You, after the speculated tiered data plans launch, voluntarily switch to one of said plans, you won't be able to switch back to unlimited data (assuming it's no longer offered).
D) There is a possibility that the speculated tiered data plans may be somehow built directly into some sort of new rateplan offering (e.g. family data plans). This was mentioned as a distinct possibility by Verizon's CFO. If you switch to one of these new rateplans, you won't be able to switch back to unlimited data (assuming it's no longer offered).

I am gonna quote this because I knew people would start with the freak out once tiered data was announced. If you look at the droid life article they updated and said it looks like existing customers are fine and still can upgrade devices and not lose unlimited data. I don't think it's time to curse Verizon and plan on murdering their babies just yet.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

maduin posted:

Are people actually surprised?
I'm not surprised about the 2 GB $30/mo plan. $5/mo over AT&T because Verizon is (has?) "the network" definitely was to be expected.

However, I'm a bit dismayed about the lack of a 200-500 MB $20-25/mo tier. I know a good number of folks who are on the fence about getting a smartphone, but already have iPad Touches and have WiFi at work/home who would love to carry a single device around, not be heavy data users, and would somewhat grumblingly pay $15-20/mo more to do so, but not $30/mo. Granted I shouldn't be terribly surprised as they got rid of the 150 MB $15/mo option a while back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Marketing Shill posted:

I am gonna quote this because I knew people would start with the freak out once tiered data was announced. If you look at the droid life article they updated and said it looks like existing customers are fine and still can upgrade devices and not lose unlimited data. I don't think it's time to curse Verizon and plan on murdering their babies just yet.

The rates are still utter bullshit no matter what. Data is costing them less and less over time but they are charging us more and more. Their latest commercial for the revolution touts the netflix playing capabilities, but you'll be over your quota after a few hours of playback under those plans.

I could have stomached $30 for 5gb, but $30 for 2gb is beyond the pale.

Aurium posted:

As some other people have said, you can use your upgrade early. Naturally you won't get a bionic though.

You should probably use it now to get whatever you think is the best 4g phone, and then buy "used" bionic off ebay or something, and then sell your current. This kind of movement usually lets you keep your current plan, since you're not signing a new contract with Verizon. Other people doing this will probably drive up the price of the bionic and down the price of whatever you have though. Worst thing that happens is that you find out this would change your plan, and you settle for 2 years of unlimited 4g anyway.

As a side note, this is $5 more than the att data plan tiering, which is already a terrible deal compared to sprint and t-mobile.

Sorry, no, I'm not going to stand on my head to try to get service with a decent device at an acceptable price (never mind the fact that I can't upgrade until after this date anyways.)

They either let me upgrade to any phone I choose and keep my unlimited plan, or I walk. Plain and simple.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/20/verizon-tiered-data-plans-coming-july-7-starting-at-30/

quote:

Data Pricing Evolution...The Present

Our legacy data pricing structure was designed to address a somewhat different customer need profile than what we are seeing and can expect in the future.

Consider this. Data usage has more than doubled over the last three years. Consumers and business users alike are doing more and more with their mobile devices. The notion of "send and end" has migrated to "managing multiple aspects of one's lifestyle through mobility." Whether it's social media (85%+ of Smartphone users), mobile internet (88%+ of Smartphone users), or email/applications (71%+ of Smartphone users), this usage has one thing in common-dramatically increased demand for data and media consumption.

As a result, we are evolving our approach around how we package our data solutions and pricing to our customers. Coming soon, Verizon Wireless will move from our existing pricing format to a structure designed to allow customers to choose the right data solution that best aligns with their needs.

The Value Benefit Equation...
With the new usage based pricing plans, the vast majority of our customers will be able to enjoy their typical level of data consumption for the same value that they outlay today. Additionally, for those who have greater requirements for data, we will have solutions that they can tailor to their unique needs.

Perhaps more importantly, given our strong desire to continue to provide enhanced capability and value to our customers, the new data pricing will apply to both our 3G AND 4G LTE networks. So in essence, for those customers in our ever and rapidly expanding 4G LTE network coverage footprint, users will gain the benefit of the fastest and most advanced 4G LTE network in the U.S. all for the same usage based value. More speed. More functionality. Same value.

Honestly, this doesn't sound encouraging as a far as letting existing customers keep their plan when they renew.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Wait a second, isn't this all still a rumor? Is there actually an article that is not based on other website's information (which is a rumor in the first place)?

indulgenthipster fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 20, 2011

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

VerySolidSnake posted:

Wait a second, isn't this all still a rumor? Is there actually an article that is not based on other website's information (which is a rumor in the first place)?

Are you asking if tiered data plans are a rumor? If so, the answer to that is definitely no.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Aurium posted:

Thanks for the advise but if I upgrade now I pay full price. My early upgrade isn't until August, my plan expires in December. So yeah, I could stick with my original droid and keep unlimited data until December, but it's on its last legs, the audio jack isn't working properly, and it's just slow as gently caress compared to newer devices (and even compared to what it was like when it was new). There are rumors of being able to upgrade without losing unlimited data, but I think they're bullshit. There are rumors that these data prices are for family plans, not individual. I think that's bullshit as well. At this point my best bet is switching to sprint and getting an Evo 3d or switching to a tablet, since I hardly ever make phone calls when I don't have someone else with me whose phone I could use or a land line I could use.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I knew this was coming but it still pisses me off. I listen to Sirius XM for about 8 hours a day during the week at work and I usually end up over 5gb of data per month. Getting rid of one year contracts kinda pissed me off, this really upsets me.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

Super Dude posted:

Are you asking if tiered data plans are a rumor? If so, the answer to that is definitely no.

But pricing details are a rumor. For all we know they could have an unlimited plan at the exact same price point as now, but smaller tiered plans will cost less.

Call me naive, I don't care. If I have to pay more I'm going to a different carrier that costs less. I'm not going to stick with a carrier that promotes Netflix and video conferencing, but at the same time prevents you from using those at a fair price.

I'm on this plan, paying $20 for unlimited text and data: http://community.vzw.com/t5/Voice-and-Broadband-Calling/Hooray-Family-Data-Plans/td-p/324970

I was told it was testing the market in the Mid-West area with that plan. The Verizon employees that are "tipping" everyone off right now did not even know this existed. I was laughed out of the store when I asked about it, then 10 minutes later called that number and got that price.

indulgenthipster fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 20, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know what I would have been 100% fine with?

2gb at LTE speeds and then throttled down to 3G speeds with no overage cost.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

wandler20 posted:

I listen to Sirius XM for about 8 hours a day during the week at work and I usually end up over 5gb of data per month. Getting rid of one year contracts kinda pissed me off, this really upsets me.
I'm not really sure what to think. Except that if even 10% of Verizon subscribers listened to Internet radio from 9-5 every day the network would definitely be over capacity. I definitely think it's fair for "you" to pay more for data than someone who is extremely frugal and keeps his usage under 500 MB a month.

But I think "you" continuing to pay $30/mo for 5 GB, while the frugal-user getting a price break at $15/mo or something, is a much fairer solution.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Here's my Never Gonna Happen alternative: $20 for the first Gb + $5/Gb after that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not really sure what to think. Except that if even 10% of Verizon subscribers listened to Internet radio from 9-5 every day the network would definitely be over capacity. I definitely think it's fair for "you" to pay more for data than someone who is extremely frugal and keeps his usage under 500 MB a month.

But I think "you" continuing to pay $30/mo for 5 GB, while the frugal-user getting a price break at $15/mo or something, is a much fairer solution.

Well, yeah, the biggest issue is the tiers involved.

If they want to do tiering, at least have it make some sort of sense.

There's no use case for 2gb of data. If all you do it occasionally hit web pages and update facebook, you are going to be under even 500mb.

If you stream content in any way shape or form for any appreciable amount of time, you will blow through that cap like nothing.

I would consider this "fair" even though it would cause my bill to go up.

$15 500mb
$40 5gb (with no additional charge to tether but no additional data allowance either), overages handled by throttling down to 1mbps.
$60 unlimited mobile with 2gb tethering included

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Wasn't there some mention of being able to share data rather than having to get separate data plans per line a while back? Any idea if that will pan out with the new tiered pricing? Estimating my current usage won't change dramatically (~500-700 MB/mo), it'd be really nice to be able to get the 2gb data plan and share it between 2 people, rather than have to pay separately per line.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I just checked my bill and over the past 6 months, I've used between 1.4gb and 3.4gb every month. My fiance on the other hand (with our family plan), used between 200kb and 500kb each month. We never went over 4gb total, and paid $60 total for data each month.

With this new plan, she'll continue to pay $30 a month, while I'll pay between $30-50...even though combined we're using less than 2gb per person. Ridiculous. Also, if Verizon wants to charge based on data use, they probably should do something about the bloatware than wants to constantly run...eating away the precious data.

Sprint phone service in this area is terrible, but their data is usually pretty good. I guess I'm going to have to go with it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Well, yeah, the biggest issue is the tiers involved.

If they want to do tiering, at least have it make some sort of sense.

There's no use case for 2gb of data. If all you do it occasionally hit web pages and update facebook, you are going to be under even 500mb.

If you stream content in any way shape or form for any appreciable amount of time, you will blow through that cap like nothing.

I would consider this "fair" even though it would cause my bill to go up.

$15 500mb
$40 5gb (with no additional charge to tether but no additional data allowance either), overages handled by throttling down to 1mbps.
$60 unlimited mobile with 2gb tethering included

That would have been a reasonable way for Verizon to handle it yes. I would still be somewhat annoyed since I'd be paying more than I am, but only $10 more and even after the throttling still getting about the same data rate I am now.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm 25 days in and I'm at 7GB of data on my Thunderbolt. I dont do much tethering and the majority of my use is streaming Phillies games on MLB at Bat. Most of my use is surfing.

Edit: Compared to my wife who uses her DX mostly for business emails, words with friends, and facebook, she only has used 700 MB

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Carriers really are forcing their customers to become mega-loyal (those w/unlimited plans). I have grandfathered unlimited w/ATT and vow to never leave. My guess is those who are grandfathered with Verizon will have the same reaction. The trade-off is you may not be able to use your upgrade credit on that hot new device because the carrier can require a new data plan, etc.

This is why I never touch my account and buy my phones from amazon, Newegg, craigslist, etc. Yes it costs more but it's worth not worrying every time I fire up Netflix or Slingbox. I actually don't mind paying full price for a phone if it means my monthly bill and unlimited data stays untouched.

These data caps coupled with LTE speeds are going to cause people to eventually give up on smartphones. It's a delicate balance that will reach the tipping point when the cost vs allocation ratio gets way off. Cell providers print money...greed is an interesting thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Data plans:
2GB –$30/month
5GB –$50/month
10GB –$80/month
If you would like to add tethering on to any of those packages, you can purchase 2GB of data at an additional cost of $20 per month.

If this is the case my job at Sprint just got so much easier, even with current Verizon people getting grandfathered in.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

JayKay posted:

I'm 25 days in and I'm at 7GB of data on my Thunderbolt. I dont do much tethering and the majority of my use is streaming Phillies games on MLB at Bat. Most of my use is surfing.

Edit: Compared to my wife who uses her DX mostly for business emails, words with friends, and facebook, she only has used 700 MB

Jesus H Christ. How can streaming games even be 7 gigs? I don't even use that much on a COMPUTER let alone a cellphone. I'd imagine that you are tethering torrents or something.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bob A Feet posted:

Jesus H Christ. How can streaming games even be 7 gigs? I don't even use that much on a COMPUTER let alone a cellphone. I'd imagine that you are tethering torrents or something.

Well since I don't do it, if you're doing it, clearly it's torrents/illegal poo poo/etc.! :goonsay:

This argument is retarded.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bob A Feet posted:

You don't realize how many baseball games there are in a month, do you. :geno:

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Well since I don't do it, if you're doing it, clearly it's torrents/illegal poo poo/etc.! :goonsay:

This argument is retarded.

Not if you work for the RIAA.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Chu020 posted:

Wasn't there some mention of being able to share data rather than having to get separate data plans per line a while back? Any idea if that will pan out with the new tiered pricing? Estimating my current usage won't change dramatically (~500-700 MB/mo), it'd be really nice to be able to get the 2gb data plan and share it between 2 people, rather than have to pay separately per line.

I had heard this too. I hope that I can split the data plans. My wife and I are currently looking towards getting smartphones but wanted to wait and see what the tiered data plans looked like. If it is like our minutes and we can share the 2GB, then I am all for it. We will only use it for text based things such as emails, news and facebook (with a few things like weather/ GPS on the side). We do not want to have to spend $60 a month for unlimited data when at most we may use 2GB if we are lucky. If we could spend $30 a month for both of us, then that would be a lot easier. Also, going over the 2GB leads to only $10 per GB is not a bad set up.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Bob A Feet posted:

I've used it to connect my PS3 and/or Steam when downloading games as 4G beats the crap out of my cable internet here. But that's probably only make up 2 GB of the 7GB.

Average use for me is really around 5GB/month.

Edit: I really do a lot of streaming, Youtube and other "Adult tube" services :mmmhmm:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 21, 2011

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

If this is the case my job at Sprint just got so much easier, even with current Verizon people getting grandfathered in.

I was thinking about jumping ship but I don't think I've ever gone over 2gb and sprint is at least $5 more to get the same plan I have with verizon (not including my employee discount).

Guess I'm stuck with this.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Bob A Feet posted:

If MLB At Bat streams at 768kbps & an average game lasts 3 hours, that tips the scales at just over 1GB for a single game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SpacedOut posted:

If MLB At Bat streams at 768kbps & an average game lasts 3 hours, that tips the scales at just over 1GB for a single game.

Wow. Thank God I have unlimited data. I can't imagine how lovely it will be for Verizon sales reps to try and recruit new customers.

Customer "I saw a Verizon commercial that featured the Netflix app. Cool, I want service"

Sales rep "Cool, let's get it set up. BTW, you are limited to two gigs for $30/month. Okay?"

Customer "WTF? How much bandwidth does Netflix consume?"

Sales rep "Honestly, you are pretty much hosed. I recommend you run out of this store unless you want your phone to bankrupt you if you use it per our advertising, however I'm behind on my quota this month and truust me, you will be fine with 2 gigs!"

Wireless in the US is quickly becoming very hosed. Mobile innovation will suffer due to carrier hunger for dolla$$$ ya'll.

If you have an unlimited plan, death grip that bitch as you are a rare species...

• Locked thread