Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Wow. Thank God I have unlimited data. I can't imagine how lovely it will be for Verizon sales reps to try and recruit new customers.

Customer "I saw a Verizon commercial that featured the Netflix app. Cool, I want service"

Sales rep "Cool, let's get it set up. BTW, you are limited to two gigs for $30/month. Okay?"

Customer "WTF? How much bandwidth does Netflix consume?"

Sales rep "Honestly, you are pretty much hosed. I recommend you run out of this store unless you want your phone to bankrupt you if you use it per our advertising, however I'm behind on my quota this month and truust me, you will be fine with 2 gigs!"

Wireless in the US is quickly becoming very hosed. Mobile innovation will suffer due to carrier hunger for dolla$$$ ya'll.

If you have an unlimited plan, death grip that bitch as you are a rare species...

Honestly selling for mobile stuff like that is easy, just explain wifi. If people are handling it on att then they will handle it. And honestly, I do have to say wireless right isn't Frickin cable internet. Verizon has great coverage, but they don't have the spectrum to support unlimited internet for a customer base that large. So really, either they cap internet, or we have daily outages.

My big complaint is the buckets, I think that is a ripoff. Just throttle like they do in Europe. Unfortunately buckets is way more money for them , so that is how it will have to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok, here's some stats for you.

I monitored a 22 minute episode of Arrested Development from netflix over 3G. I did it at my house because I pretty much get ideal EVDO speeds here to make sure netflix isn't scaling back the quality.

That 22 minute episode took 51mb. That doesn't sound like a lot right?

One hour of streaming would take approximately 140mb. 2gb (so allowing for not other data use) would mean 14 hours of streaming.

Wow, that sounds like a lot. But remember this is per month. To put this in perspective, if you just watched an hour long episode of something on your lunch break at work, you would only make it through 14 business days. That's also with no other network use.

So, that's utter crap. You can't tell me that streaming 1 hour of video a day could be considered "heavy" use for phones with 4.3 inch screens, kickstands, and 20mpbs internet connections.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

Ok, here's some stats for you.

I monitored a 22 minute episode of Arrested Development from netflix over 3G. I did it at my house because I pretty much get ideal EVDO speeds here to make sure netflix isn't scaling back the quality.

That 22 minute episode took 51mb. That doesn't sound like a lot right?

One hour of streaming would take approximately 140mb. 2gb (so allowing for not other data use) would mean 14 hours of streaming.

Wow, that sounds like a lot. But remember this is per month. To put this in perspective, if you just watched an hour long episode of something on your lunch break at work, you would only make it through 14 business days. That's also with no other network use.

So, that's utter crap. You can't tell me that streaming 1 hour of video a day could be considered "heavy" use for phones with 4.3 inch screens, kickstands, and 20mpbs internet connections.

Well it's not like they make 10 billion annual profits or anything. Oh wait.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
yeah, great, make it so that you have to use netflix on wifi.

Lets get this right: we have a phone with a 4 in screen, I have to be connected to wifi to use, and I'll also need to be plugged in to a charger because the battery dies after 2 hours. :thumbsup: this is way better than a laptop or tv!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Bob A Feet posted:

Jesus H Christ. How can streaming games even be 7 gigs? I don't even use that much on a COMPUTER let alone a cellphone. I'd imagine that you are tethering torrents or something.

I used 8GB on my Revolution last month, purely streaming videos and music on the phone. We're talking about an hour or so a day of video alone, then I stream HQ music for 3-4 hours a day.

Tethered for maybe 15 minutes, browsed the forums from my notebook, that's it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

hotsauce posted:

Wow. Thank God I have unlimited data. I can't imagine how lovely it will be for Verizon sales reps to try and recruit new customers.

Customer "I saw a Verizon commercial that featured the Netflix app. Cool, I want service"

Sales rep "Cool, let's get it set up. BTW, you are limited to two gigs for $30/month. Okay?"

Customer "WTF? How much bandwidth does Netflix consume?"

Sales rep "Honestly, you are pretty much hosed. I recommend you run out of this store unless you want your phone to bankrupt you if you use it per our advertising, however I'm behind on my quota this month and truust me, you will be fine with 2 gigs!"

Or rather it'll actually go:

Customer: I saw a commercial that says I can run Netflix on a phone! I want one!

Sales rep: OK cool. You'll get 2GB for $30 a month!

Customer: OK! Great! Can't wait to watch!!

And that's not going into the fact that not every Android phone can stream Netflix.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

Well it's not like they make 10 billion annual profits or anything. Oh wait.

Not to mention my friend who worked for Verizon got laid off 1 week before his wedding because, as they claimed, they were on "hard financial times". He was a union worker, too, and his union was strong-armed into an agreement that they can fire anyone at any time for any reason if they were hired after 2003. Kinda defeats, you know, the point of being in a loving union, doesn't it?

I swear, if AT&T wasn't such poo poo I would have left this company eons ago.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Well, looks like I'm going to have to keep my Pixi forever. I actually have it on the $15 150MB data plan and get a free 5GB mobile hotspot. Even if I never used anything but the hotspot again, it's turning into a hell of a value at $25 a month on the family plan. (Cheater option: If I absolutely have to use more than 150MB on the mobile web, turning on the hotspot will cause it to tap the 5GB instead.)

Bad phone justified. :smug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

NofrikinfuN posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to have to keep my Pixi forever. I actually have it on the $15 150MB data plan and get a free 5GB mobile hotspot. Even if I never used anything but the hotspot again, it's turning into a hell of a value at $25 a month on the family plan. (Cheater option: If I absolutely have to use more than 150MB on the mobile web, turning on the hotspot will cause it to tap the 5GB instead.)

Bad phone justified. :smug:

I'm probably going to have to stick with my poo poo WinMo 6.5 phone until the end of time because of the unlimited bandwidth and I'm not risking switching to a 4g Android phone because it's considered a different "plan" or whatever.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The rates are still utter bullshit no matter what. Data is costing them less and less over time but they are charging us more and more.

Yes and between the small selection of companies available and the fact that many people don't really have a grasp on what a given amount of data actually equates to, they can continue to get away with it. :toot:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

yeah, great, make it so that you have to use netflix on wifi.
Customer: Well, if I have to use Netflix on WiFi then, can I just forego the data plan and use a smartphone with voice service and WiFi data only?

Sales rep: No, of course not!

Love them options ....

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Customer: Well, if I have to use Netflix on WiFi then, can I just forego the data plan and use a smartphone with voice service and WiFi data only?

Sales rep: No, of course not!

Love them options ....

Ha very very true.

Torael_7 posted:

Yes and between the small selection of companies available and the fact that many people don't really have a grasp on what a given amount of data actually equates to, they can continue to get away with it. :toot:

This plus with AT&T buying the only carrier that throttles instead of by the bucket, means America is screwed. Sprint is nice, but there are just a ton of people in rural areas that will only have one option.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Holy crap those plans are oppresively small. I've got a Thunderbolt and 4G isn't turned on in my area until later this summer, but I was on a business trip for work recently and was in a 4G area and blew through about 10gb in 11 days, mainly from watching netflix in the hotel.

What's the point of going 4G if you can't use it for less than $100 a month?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Thoguh posted:

What's the point of going 4G if you can't use it for less than $100 a month?
Lower latency, greater spectrum capacity, the whole "network of the future" stuff.

Even if you're just browsing web pages, it's nice to have them load consistently faster if the 3G network is overloaded. The problem is that, instead of LTE being a behind-the-scenes evolutionary upgrade, there's a lot of marketing hype behind "4G" and Verzion is charging a subsidy premium ($50-100 more than 3G) for 4G devices that are otherwise arguably-inferior to the latest 3G ones.

So yeah, folks expect to do lots of Netflix.

Teh z0rceror
Dec 14, 2004

well unless I pull the trigger now and jump to verizon I dont think i'll be switching over. I work in downtown detroit and we have LTE coverage here. However i'm waiting for either the Bionic or the Galaxy S2. i really dont want to buy a phone now and be stuck with it. I'm still unlimited with att but who knows how long that will last or if they will try to gently caress me on that. This sucks.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Well, guess one of my justifications for going ahead and getting an iPhone 4 was justified. Two more years of unlimited data (assuming they grandfather existing plans). :unsmith:

Not to say this isn't bullshit in any way, though. The minimum plan still costs $30 and only buys you 2 GB? That's ridiculous.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh I hope this info is accurate.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21/current-verizon-customers-wont-be-affected-by-tiered-data-only-new-customers-and-lines/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Sounds too good to be true, but I really hope it's legit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That would be nice, especially since there are no attractive phones coming out for the foreseeable future. (Droid 3 lacks LTE, Bionic lacks a keyboard)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

There has been a whole lot of retard alarmist poo poo in the thread by you dude. Why didn't you think it would work like it does on AT&T where existing customers are grandfathered in with their unlimited data?

If you guys read the poo poo by the OP he usually answers any concerns we have and the answers tend to be accurate

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Can confirm pricing thats out there is whats going to be.

Have a feeling that "grandfathered" people will not be grandfathered if they switch from 3G to 4G or if they change platforms (BB, iOS, Android) because the system has different feature codes for each one, and traditionally grandfathering only works if none of the feature or plan codes change..

In other words, if you are holding out for something 4G, you better just suck it up and get one now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Marketing Shill posted:

There has been a whole lot of retard alarmist poo poo in the thread by you dude. Why didn't you think it would work like it does on AT&T where existing customers are grandfathered in with their unlimited data?

Because Verizon has a history of forcing you on to new plans if you want to upgrade devices.

Mighty Horse posted:

In other words, if you are holding out for something 4G, you better just suck it up and get one now.

Too bad I can't because my upgrade is after July 7th.

Their loss, if they won't let me go 4G and keep unlimited data, I'm no longer a customer. Since my VZW account is bundled with my FIOS, I may have to re-evaluate packages there as well...

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Yaaay!

Mighty Horse posted:

Have a feeling that "grandfathered" people will not be grandfathered if they switch from 3G to 4G or if they change platforms (BB, iOS, Android) because the system has different feature codes for each one, and traditionally grandfathering only works if none of the feature or plan codes change..

Fuuuck!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
"Semi-rumor". What would be more reasonable for me to do? I have a Droid X (3G) and 4G won't be live (albeit there's regular signal in some parts) in my area till later this summer. I'm not due for an upgrade till next April. Should I get a 4G phone on Craigslist or something before July 7th? As far as keeping my unlimited data, does doing that ensure anything? Or should I just hope that semi-rumor is true? Or does any of the little information we have now matter at all?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

bull3964 posted:

Because Verizon has a history of forcing you on to new plans if you want to upgrade devices.

Too bad I can't because my upgrade is after July 7th.

Their loss, if they won't let me go 4G and keep unlimited data, I'm no longer a customer. Since my VZW account is bundled with my FIOS, I may have to re-evaluate packages there as well...

You should. I work for a VZW dealer and think these prices stink. Its greedy and overpriced. Only way anything will change is a customer revolt. People should get on planet feedback and twitter and start complaining.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Uh, is there going to be any decent carriers/plans left 2 years from now? :(

We are all going to be anally raped by Verizon/ATT from now on. Sprint will be the only option, and gently caress Sprint.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
I assume there's basically no chance that the rumor of the Bionic coming around July 4 is true?

Teh z0rceror
Dec 14, 2004

Bambi posted:

I assume there's basically no chance that the rumor of the Bionic coming around July 4 is true?

It'll probably get released on the 7th to coincide with this "great" new plans that have the customers best interests in mind. ftge

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Bionic isn't going to see the light of day till mid August, it's not even in user testing yet.

The Droid 3 is likely going to launch that week.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 21, 2011

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So if I run and sign up to get a verizon iphone next week I stay with unlimited data? I was waiting for the new one but I'd rather have the data plan.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Do New Every 2 upgrades disappear when moving a line from one account to another? I know NE2 is dead, but we recently moved my wife from her old plan onto my plan. She had been eligible for an upgrade since 2008 (that little Samsung flip phone did everything she needed), so she had to have at least some sort of NE2 discount on that sucker (no idea how much it was back then) since she would have been grandfathered in.

Anyway, when we bought her a Droid Incredible 2, she didn't get any discount beyond the standard two year renewal price.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I sure hope the latest Droid life story is true. Or carries over for a while. At least I have my Thunderbolt. I have enjoyed the free mobile hotspot but I haven't hear one way or the other whether there will be some sort of option to pay for the hotspot after the 7th besides going on one of the new plans. I use it enough where I would pay for it, if I can keep my unlimited data.

I doubt whatever the new iPhone turns out to be (5 or 4GS) will be as earth shattering as the 4. Dual core, better camera, maybe that NFC credit card chip.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

low-key-taco posted:

So if I run and sign up to get a verizon iphone next week I stay with unlimited data? I was waiting for the new one but I'd rather have the data plan.

yes.

Hamburglar posted:

I'm probably going to have to stick with my poo poo WinMo 6.5 phone until the end of time because of the unlimited bandwidth and I'm not risking switching to a 4g Android phone because it's considered a different "plan" or whatever.

Buy now, and you'll have unlimited. And you won't have a poo poo phone. It's not July 7th yet.

yamdankee posted:

"Semi-rumor". What would be more reasonable for me to do? I have a Droid X (3G) and 4G won't be live (albeit there's regular signal in some parts) in my area till later this summer. I'm not due for an upgrade till next April. Should I get a 4G phone on Craigslist or something before July 7th? As far as keeping my unlimited data, does doing that ensure anything? Or should I just hope that semi-rumor is true? Or does any of the little information we have now matter at all?

You'll keep unlimited data until you change your contract, i.e. a subsidized upgrade. When your contract expires you'll still have unlimited data, as you've done nothing to change it then either. Buying a used phone off craigslist does not alter your contract.

Doing what you're considering doing will not hurt you, but will likely* not help you either. In the future, buying a used phone of craigslist may be the only way to keep unlimited; depending on how true this second leaked memo is.

*Verizon doesn't consider 4g data plans to be any different than 3g data plans on phones; it's all the same plan, only matters what the phone supports. It is remotely possible that they could change this and consider adding 4g to you phone a contract change, and thus are able to tier you. They do not currently consider it to be any kind of contract change. If they do decide to change this, the first time you'll know is when people complain after the 7th.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I got a text from Verizon earlier saying this: "You're eligible to upgrade EARLY to any phone w/ new 2 year agreement". Just logged into my account on their site and sure enough I can upgrade at a discounted rate. I wasn't supposed to have an upgrade until something like April 2012, anyone have an idea what causes Verizon to offer this or anyone else get it?

I wasn't planning on getting anything new because I'm 100% content with my Incredible and nothing else Verizon has interests me right now but this makes it tempting to just buy the latest 4g phone to get locked into that before tiered data comes and resell it on ebay or XDA or something. Is there anything I should worry about in doing this? Just seems a bit sketchy that I got offered this out of nowhere so close to the alleged tiered data drop.

baram. fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 21, 2011

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
So we're basically being forced to decide what is worth more to us: a) The ability to get a subsidized upgrade, or b) keep unlimited data at $30/m. I'm fine with losing A to keep B. Especially since it looks like we're all losing A at some point.* Might as well hold on to something. Hopefully Verizon keeps it that simple and doesn't change their mind on how they view data. "Oh hey this guy just activated a 4G phone and had a 3G phone, tier 'em up."

Sorry, got New Every 2 mixed up with subsidized upgrades. Just trying to make sense of everything, not trying to fear-monger any of you. I promise to tone down the misunderstanding before I post. Please accept my deepest apologies Penguissimo.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 21, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

yamdankee posted:

Especially since it looks like we're all losing A at some point.

Whoa, what? Let's tone down the fear-mongering. These devices cost $600-800 off-contract. There's no way, in the current US mobile phone market, that subsidized upgrades are ending anytime soon.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Baram posted:

I got a text from Verizon earlier saying this: "You're eligible to upgrade EARLY to any phone w/ new 2 year agreement". Just logged into my account on their site and sure enough I can upgrade at a discounted rate. I wasn't supposed to have an upgrade until something like April 2012, anyone have an idea what causes Verizon to offer this or anyone else get it?

I wasn't planning on getting anything new because I'm 100% content with my Incredible and nothing else Verizon has interests me right now but this makes it tempting to just buy the latest 4g phone to get locked into that before tiered data comes and resell it on ebay or XDA or something. Is there anything I should worry about in doing this? Just seems a bit sketchy that I got offered this out of nowhere so close to the alleged tiered data drop.

They always do an "early upgrade" thing, theyve texted and called me to tell me this. Its not near as nice of a discount as the 2 year upgrade but it works if you want/need a new phone.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

So when my OG droid broke, I removed my data plan and went with my old dumbphone to wait until my new every 2 upgrade was up (july 7th ironically). Should I put the plan back on it so when I do upgrade back to a smartphone ill have unlimited data, or since i've got an old account, can I just wait until I upgrade?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can I sign up for a family plan on Verizon and not activate a new phone, keeping my CDMA phone that was originally from Verizon?

I'd like to save my subsidized upgrade for a phone coming out later this year, and I think the wife would too. But of course this sounds like such a sweet deal I'm sure it won't work.

edit for clarity.

Hed fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

According to that article on Droid Life it looks like my area is getting 4G on July 21st. I don't live directly in Scranton, however, so I'm probably going to have to wait for them to expand coverage in order to get it at home. Regardless, this is pretty awesome news.

• Locked thread