Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

GI_Clutch posted:

Do New Every 2 upgrades disappear when moving a line from one account to another? I know NE2 is dead, but we recently moved my wife from her old plan onto my plan. She had been eligible for an upgrade since 2008 (that little Samsung flip phone did everything she needed), so she had to have at least some sort of NE2 discount on that sucker (no idea how much it was back then) since she would have been grandfathered in.

Anyway, when we bought her a Droid Incredible 2, she didn't get any discount beyond the standard two year renewal price.

Yes, the additional NE2 discount strips off when a line is transferred from one account to another. They also strip off whenever a primary line becomes a secondary (this has always been the case, ever since NE2 launched), which I imagine happened when you took over her line.

Was your wife originally on an individual plan, or the primary on a family plan? If so, then she would have definitely had some sort of NE2 credit. If your certain about it being 2008, the NE2 would have been $50 for rateplans <$79.98, $100 for plans >$79.98. If she was the secondary on a family plan she would not have qualified for any sort of NE2.

The person who processed the assumption of liability was supposed to disclose that the NE2 would not transfer. If she had one and they didn't make the proper disclosures, I would recommend calling customer care to complain. They might be able to give you some sort of credit to your account to compensate for the lost NE2 monies. Not promising anything, but it's definitely worth a try (especially now that you're armed with more information).

P.S. If she was on a family plan and someone else on the plan used her upgrade to get themselves the phone, they would have used the NE2 credit. Probably want to make sure nobody did this before you call and throw a fit. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Hed posted:

Can I sign up for a family plan on Verizon and not activate a new phone, keeping my CDMA phone that was originally from Verizon?

I'd like to save my subsidized upgrade for a phone coming out later this year, and I think the wife would too. But of course this sounds like such a sweet deal I'm sure it won't work.

edit for clarity.

This is definitely doable. Just go to your Verizon corporate store and let them you know you want to activate a new account with your own equipment. If the salesperson does it properly, this will mean you won't be under contract and therefore will qualify for subsidized equipment whenever you feel like it. A new 2-year agreement will be signed once you eventually buy new equipment.

If you want to be a good guy, make sure you ask for the salesperson's business card and let them know you'll go and see them again when you decide to buy your new equipment (they'll be happy because they know they'll get two sales from one customer, and therefore should be less likely to "accidentally" put you under contract during the initial activation).

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone else living in a 4g area finding coverage really strangely spotty? I'm finding areas with full strong signal just a block away from areas with none, but just another block down the road and there'll be a weak signal. I'm seeing this all around Tampa.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Baram posted:

I got a text from Verizon earlier saying this: "You're eligible to upgrade EARLY to any phone w/ new 2 year agreement". Just logged into my account on their site and sure enough I can upgrade at a discounted rate. I wasn't supposed to have an upgrade until something like April 2012, anyone have an idea what causes Verizon to offer this or anyone else get it?

I wasn't planning on getting anything new because I'm 100% content with my Incredible and nothing else Verizon has interests me right now but this makes it tempting to just buy the latest 4g phone to get locked into that before tiered data comes and resell it on ebay or XDA or something. Is there anything I should worry about in doing this? Just seems a bit sketchy that I got offered this out of nowhere so close to the alleged tiered data drop.

They tend to do this to me whenever the new version of whatever phone I have comes out. I had the Droid X, and they bumped my upgrade date about a week before the X2 was released.

As for the upgrade thing, I plan on picking up a Thunderbolt or Charge on July 6th. That should give me about 13 days to see if they begin to force people with 3g into the new "tier" plan when they bump to 4g.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 22, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mighty Horse posted:

Have a feeling that "grandfathered" people will not be grandfathered if they switch from 3G to 4G or if they change platforms (BB, iOS, Android) because the system has different feature codes for each one,
There's a separate feature code for iOS? That seems kind of odd and pointless.

I mean, I can sort of understand breaking out BBs because of the server shenanigans, but from the network's point of view what's the difference between an iPhone and an Android phone?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

There's a separate feature code for iOS? That seems kind of odd and pointless.

I mean, I can sort of understand breaking out BBs because of the server shenanigans, but from the network's point of view what's the difference between an iPhone and an Android phone?

There isn't. Android, iOS, WiMo 7, & WebOS all use the same feature code, RIM has it's own code for BIS & yet another one for BES, & dumbphones also have their own unlimited data feature code.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

SpacedOut posted:

There isn't. Android, iOS, WiMo 7, & WebOS all use the same feature code, RIM has it's own code for BIS & yet another one for BES, & dumbphones also have their own unlimited data feature code.

descriptions the same, but I see a different 5 digit vision code in eroes for iOS.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

descriptions the same, but I see a different 5 digit vision code in eroes for iOS.

Hmmm, perhaps I just never noticed the data plan change when activating OS -> OS.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the reply SpacedOut.

I'm crossing my fingers that if I activate with my own equipment but an unlimited dataplan before 7/7 then I should be able to keep grandfathered data even after signing a 2-year agreement upon getting a subsidized device.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

SpacedOut posted:

This is correct. Only RIM has the different feature code.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Hed posted:

Thanks for the reply SpacedOut.

I'm crossing my fingers that if I activate with my own equipment but an unlimited dataplan before 7/7 then I should be able to keep grandfathered data even after signing a 2-year agreement upon getting a subsidized device.

If you activate your own 4G equipment before the data plan changes it should work. There's a single feature added to phone plans to distinguish 3G devices from 4G devices which would trigger a plan change.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kstatix posted:

If you activate your own 4G equipment before the data plan changes it should work. There's a single feature added to phone plans to distinguish 3G devices from 4G devices which would trigger a plan change.

Meaning that if you want both LTE and to retain unlimited data, you need to upgrade by the 7th?

What a pile of poo poo.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I've got an OG Droid. I've been holding out to upgrade because I've been waiting for the Droid 3 to come out. From what I'm reading, it looks like that'll happen on July 11th. My current contract with unlimited data ends in 2/2012. I've been eligible for an upgrade for a while now, with the VZW website telling me I'm eligible for an discount. If I buy the Droid 3 on the 11th, will I be able to keep my unlimited plan? I shouldn't be changing anything other that that. Maybe an upgrade on minutes for my family share plan. I don't care for 4G and whatnot, I just want to keep my unlimited plan without rocking this droid for another year. :qq:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

SpacedOut posted:

Yes, the additional NE2 discount strips off when a line is transferred from one account to another. They also strip off whenever a primary line becomes a secondary (this has always been the case, ever since NE2 launched), which I imagine happened when you took over her line.

Was your wife originally on an individual plan, or the primary on a family plan? If so, then she would have definitely had some sort of NE2 credit. If your certain about it being 2008, the NE2 would have been $50 for rateplans <$79.98, $100 for plans >$79.98. If she was the secondary on a family plan she would not have qualified for any sort of NE2.

The person who processed the assumption of liability was supposed to disclose that the NE2 would not transfer. If she had one and they didn't make the proper disclosures, I would recommend calling customer care to complain. They might be able to give you some sort of credit to your account to compensate for the lost NE2 monies. Not promising anything, but it's definitely worth a try (especially now that you're armed with more information).

P.S. If she was on a family plan and someone else on the plan used her upgrade to get themselves the phone, they would have used the NE2 credit. Probably want to make sure nobody did this before you call and throw a fit. :)
That information was not disclosed. The only disclosure was that the warranty wouldn't transfer. Not that a phone from 2006 would still be under warranty. Her phone had been the primary line on the account (three line family share plan). Her father and I got on speakerphone and called to start the procedure (make his line the primary and tell them we want to move it to my account). They said I'd get something in the mail within 7-10 days and then I could call the assumption of liability department or whatever, but nothing ever came. I ended up calling in and they sent me over to the department to go through all the stuff.

So, yeah, I'll give them a call later and see what can be done.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SpacedOut posted:

Hmmm, perhaps I just never noticed the data plan change when activating OS -> OS.

For what it's worth, when I activated my wife's iPhone 4 online, I noticed it said "iPhone data plan" when selecting a package. Not that it means internally Verizon sees a difference, but I thought it was strange because it didn't differentiate between WinMo/Android when I tried those as a test.

For anyone super paranoid or upset there will be no phones you are interested in before the switch, I'm with you. Because I'm dying for a 4g phone with a physical keyboard but it looks like I'm poo poo out of luck. So do what I do (as much as it sucks) and buy the best 4g phone you can right before the 7th, even if all of them suck, and live with that phone until whatever you want comes out. Sell it, and buy the phone you like out of contract. You'll lose a few bucks but it sure beats the gently caress out of counting your bandwidth.

Erinyes
Jun 1, 2007

the sound and the fury
So I'm a bit confused. I've been meaning to upgrade recently and have been looking at multiple plans from AT&T and Verizon. As far as I'm aware, AT&T has been tiered for a while and Verizon is just catching up. I guess the sudden shock factor of losing an unlimited plan may be the reason why people are talking of switching, but all things equal, doesn't Verizon still have a more reliable network?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Ok yesterday I was under the impression that as long as you don't make a change to your plan, you don't have to worry about losing unlimited data. This all hinged on whether or not activating a 4G phone from a 3G phone on your own changed your plan or not. Is there really a feature change of some sort?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Erinyes posted:

So I'm a bit confused. I've been meaning to upgrade recently and have been looking at multiple plans from AT&T and Verizon. As far as I'm aware, AT&T has been tiered for a while and Verizon is just catching up. I guess the sudden shock factor of losing an unlimited plan may be the reason why people are talking of switching, but all things equal, doesn't Verizon still have a more reliable network?

People are probably talking about switching to Sprint is my guess. I don't think anyone would consider AT&T over Verizon.

yamdankee posted:

Ok yesterday I was under the impression that as long as you don't make a change to your plan, you don't have to worry about losing unlimited data. This all hinged on whether or not activating a 4G phone from a 3G phone on your own changed your plan or not. Is there really a feature change of some sort?

This is what I'm a bit worried about, too. I'm probably going to order a 4g phone (drat it...none of them are remotely desirable to me) right before they switch just to be ultra safe.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kstatix posted:

This is correct. Only RIM has the different feature code.

Ill look at a couple again today, but I am 95% sure they were different. Its just the have the system smart enough to grab the right one automatically already. Not sure if they will consider that a "plan change" or regardless.
As usual, no one knows for sure inside Verizon.

I know for sure if you don't have an unlimited plan on a 4G phone before the 7th, you aren't getting one after.

It really sucks for us in the sales channels. They are already bitching about new adds, people are already bitching about pricing, this will just drive people to Sprint and TMob.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Mighty Horse posted:

I know for sure if you don't have an unlimited plan on a 4G phone before the 7th, you aren't getting one after.

Not to challenge you, but how do you know this for sure? I just want some form of documentation to this fact before I buy a Thunderbolt. I have my finger on the buy button.

Am I crazy, or is anyone else going to do like me and get a temporary 4G phone just so they can hold on to unlimited data?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hamburglar posted:

People are probably talking about switching to Sprint is my guess. I don't think anyone would consider AT&T over Verizon.

Right, Sprint would be the carrier to switch to. I know their coverage isn't as good as Verizon on the whole, but I have several friends with Sprint devices without any real issues in the Pittsburgh area so it would probably work for me.

quote:

This is what I'm a bit worried about, too. I'm probably going to order a 4g phone (drat it...none of them are remotely desirable to me) right before they switch just to be ultra safe.

I may go to a store in the next few days and see if I can't get them to upgrade me early (I'm due July 12th). If not, I may buy a thunderbolt at full retail after July 1st and "return" it after my upgrade comes due and I can get a subsidized one. It'll cost me $35 to do that, but it may be worth it if I otherwise wouldn't be locked into unlimited 4g.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

bull3964 posted:

If not, I may buy a thunderbolt at full retail after July 1st and "return" it after my upgrade comes due and I can get a subsidized one. It'll cost me $35 to do that, but it may be worth it if I otherwise wouldn't be locked into unlimited 4g.

Wouldn't renewing your contract for a subsidized phone be considered a change in your contract and lose your unlimited data?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Anyone else living in a 4g area finding coverage really strangely spotty? I'm finding areas with full strong signal just a block away from areas with none, but just another block down the road and there'll be a weak signal. I'm seeing this all around Tampa.

At least you've got 4G access. My thunderbolt is still running 3G until Verizon unlocks it in my area. =[

Any day now...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

yamdankee posted:

Wouldn't renewing your contract for a subsidized phone be considered a change in your contract and lose your unlimited data?

No, a contract renewal doesn't actually have to change the features on the account. The info so far is that renewals/upgrades will not change the state of your data. The problem, apparently, is that 3G and 4G data are represented by different feature codes in the back end even though they have the same price right now. The feature code for unlimited 4G is going away with the feature code for unlimited 3G after July 7th so the presumption is that you won't be able to be switched to unlimited 4G after July 7th. Now, it's possible that something else may happen that makes this moot. Verizon may decide that the feature codes for unlimited 3G and 4G may mean the same thing after the 7th or they may automatically change all legacy data accounts to a new feature code to represent legacy unlimited data. No one knows at this point.

By switching to a 4G phone before that point, even at full price, it will change the feature code on the account to be 4G data which should stick with the account through subsequent renewals/upgrades (until Verizon decides you need a new data feature code for a specific device.)

Now, Mighty Horse is saying that you absolutely must have a 4G data on your account before the 7th to retain 4G unlimited. I've seen indications on Howardforums of the opposite with techs telling people that it doesn't matter if you have 3G or 4G data now, you'll be free to upgrade to a 4G phone later an not lose it.

Unless Verizon releases an official statement (and they haven't even made the pricing official at this point), we won't know the true case until after someone tries after the 7th.

At any rate, the most I stand to lose is $35 if I were to buy a thunderbolt at full retail before the 7th. If I go in on the 12th and they tell me I'll lose unlimited data if I upgrade, I'll just return the thunderbolt, switch back to my droid, and then go to a Sprint store to port.

The other question I have is if you decided to switch back to a 3G phone after the 7th. Will your account retain the unlimited 4G data or will they force you to change the feature to 3G data and lose unlimited?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 22, 2011

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm not currently a Verizon customer but I'm thinking about going for it. So it'd be totally dumb of me to sign up for a 2-year unlimited data plan right now if I didn't get a 4G phone? I wanted an iPhone dangit. :qq:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

If I go in on the 12th and they tell me I'll lose unlimited data if I upgrade, I'll just return the thunderbolt, switch back to my droid, and then go to Sprint's EPRP page to overnight an Evo 3D for $10/mo less than the retail plan rate.
Shored up your plan there a bit, bud.

Also, why bother returning the Thunderbolt? Wouldn't selling the contract on SA-Mart/eBay net you some profit from folks who were too late to get in on unlimited data?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

HondaCivet posted:

I wanted an iPhone dangit.
So get an iPhone. It's one thing for folks who have been on the fence about upgrading for a while, debating between a Droid X2 and a Thunderbolt, to go with the LTE device to hedge their bets on what Verizon actually does on the 7th.

But I wouldn't massively inconvenience yourself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Shored up your plan there a bit, bud.

Also, why bother returning the Thunderbolt? Wouldn't selling the contract on SA-Mart/eBay net you some profit from folks who were too late to get in on unlimited data?

Actually, i wouldn't port right away since I would only be 20 months into my contract and would have to ride out till september to leave.

But, that brings me to my second point. If buying a thunderbolt before the 7th isn't enough to lock me into unlimited 4G, what use would the remaining 4 months of the contract be to anyone else?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
The great part about all of the crying about tiered data is that they're probably going to do the same thing they did back when they switched from ACII to NW pricing - hard cutoff dates on feature/phone pairs. Basically, when they mandated data plans for certain phones, they set it up so that any phone sold/introduced after the cutover date had to have the mandated plan even if the phone was originally not required to have data or if the user had an old data plan (like the old... ugh, what was it, premium plus or whatever)

So everyone that's buying now in hopes of getting grandfathered unlimited - you guys are probably gonna get roped into a tiered plan when you upgrade again, you realize that right?

edit - just buy the phone you want and suck it up, or switch to Sprint and watch them institute tiers a year or two down the line.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
OK, I think I've got this figured out, but I'm not sure:

I'm getting married in about a year, and my fiancee's currently on her parents' family plan, which is expiring in July. I'm currently eligible for a discount, but if I hang around until 9/12 I get an "additional loyalty discount" (NE2, I guess?) I'd like to go ahead and transition my individual plan to a family plan, and here's where I get a little confused. If we go to a family plan after 7/7, will my unlimited data be grandfathered over, or will that be considered a new contract that will be tiered? If it's tiered, I'll probably go ahead and do it before 7/7, which brings me to my next question: I really wanted to hold out for the Bionic so that I could apply that additional upgrade to it. Is there a way that we can go to the family plan, she can go ahead and get a smartphone, and I can wait to upgrade my phone in September?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Serewit, that's a good point. So you're saying that we may get away with keeping unlimited data by getting Thunderbolts now, but down the road if we want to upgrade to a Bionic or whatever, simply by activating it, even if we bought it on CL and activated it ourselves, it would automatically rope us in to tiered. You really think that will be the case?

I'm trying not to come off as panicky or whining about Verizon, because I'll never switch carriers. It's just that, to me at least, going from unlimited for years to capped at 2 GB /m for the same price seems, maybe not unfair, but certainly undesirable. I'm not going to go on a tirade against Verizon, or make tons of posts complaining about it, but I would at least like to explore/discuss possible options for keeping unlimited data. I don't see how that hurts anyone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's entirely unfair, and pussy-footing around that and being apologistic about it is why they think they can get away with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

serewit posted:

The great part about all of the crying about tiered data is that they're probably going to do the same thing they did back when they switched from ACII to NW pricing - hard cutoff dates on feature/phone pairs. Basically, when they mandated data plans for certain phones, they set it up so that any phone sold/introduced after the cutover date had to have the mandated plan even if the phone was originally not required to have data or if the user had an old data plan (like the old... ugh, what was it, premium plus or whatever)

So everyone that's buying now in hopes of getting grandfathered unlimited - you guys are probably gonna get roped into a tiered plan when you upgrade again, you realize that right?

edit - just buy the phone you want and suck it up, or switch to Sprint and watch them institute tiers a year or two down the line.

The day I'm forced in to a ridiculously low cap for the same price is the day I leave Verizon, period.

If I can put that date off with minimal amount of fuss I will for the time being.

The tiers that they are putting into place are untenable for even the next year. It's going to be the pay as you go data fiasco of a few years ago where parents are slapped with $50 overage charges from their kids streaming netflix and music.

2gb is simply not enough for anything other than email and occasional web browsing.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 22, 2011

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

yamdankee posted:

Serewit, that's a good point. So you're saying that we may get away with keeping unlimited data by getting Thunderbolts now, but down the road if we want to upgrade to a Bionic or whatever, simply by activating it, even if we bought it on CL and activated it ourselves, it would automatically rope us in to tiered. You really think that will be the case?

I'm trying not to come off as panicky or whining about Verizon, because I'll never switch carriers. It's just that, to me at least, going from unlimited for years to capped at 2 GB /m for the same price seems, maybe not unfair, but certainly undesirable. I'm not going to go on a tirade against Verizon, or make tons of posts complaining about it, but I would at least like to explore/discuss possible options for keeping unlimited data. I don't see how that hurts anyone.

Sprint did this with its smartphone fee. I had to get a replacement Palm Pre off craigslist after mine broke, and when I activated the replacement phone the $10/mo smartphone fee was added to my account. I was able to talk to a rep who waived the fee because it was an identical phone, but that was a one time only thing.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Welp, whats the current best verizon dumbphone?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

yamdankee posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing it, I just wanted to throw out that it's probably not a panacea. Your hypothetical situation is highly likely in my opinion, speaking from my experience working for Verizon.

I just wanted to inject some probable reality into the conversation. Its really the only way they can pull it off, by splitting the baby - everyone gets hosed equally after a certain point, but they can't take away what you already have.

Teh z0rceror
Dec 14, 2004

i read that the tier would be per plan. so if I have a family plan and decide to get the 2GB @ $30. That would cover both smart phones? Did I read that right?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I currently have grandfathered unlimited data on AT&T. Would moving to Verizon for their faster LTE network be a good move? I'm falling into the panic trap of making the decision before the limits go into place...

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

serewit posted:

As someone who recently switched from an original Pre on a corporate account on Sprint (pretty much the cheapest unlimited plan possible) I couldn't be happier that I'm with Verizon right now. I'm on a shared-minute family plan, so basically I'm just paying $30 for the unlimited data, unlimited texting, and enough mobile minutes to not have to worry about calls. The value & performance of our data and phone coverage are far better than I experienced with Sprint.

Most shocking, I just checked my Verizon account page and I've only used about 300 MB of cellular data over the last 22 days. Disclaimer: 4G only became available in my area in the last week, but I've used plenty of 3G data. Even though 4G is usually 2-4x faster than my available WiFi, I'd rather connect via WiFi for the majority of the day, and save some battery life. So even if I paid $30 for a 2 GB plan, it wouldn't affect my daily life at all right now. And I'm probably a heavier phone user than 90% of the people I know.

Just because goons have heavy data usage doesn't make that the standard for the average consumer, even if they do have smartphones. Most of "the rest of us" just want to do some Facebook/Twitter, play some Angry Birds, read some news, send some texts & emails, and maybe browse a few web pages per day. 2GB per month will probably be perfectly fine even if they don't have WiFi at every place they visit during a day.

I guess the million-dollar question for the future of cell-phone data plans will be "Do you plan to watch streaming video or listen to streaming audio for hours per day, every day?" If so, either you need to buy an expensive data plan, or buy an expensive home internet connection and use WiFi (or leech off other people). So yeah, I'll happily enjoy my grandfathered unlimited 4G for as long as I can stand using my Thunderbolt (or whatever might be allowed as an upgrade afterwards) and if I have to upgrade to a $30 2GB plan and use WiFi whenever possible, I won't be all that upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endor posted:

Just because goons have heavy data usage doesn't make that the standard for the average consumer, even if they do have smartphones. Most of "the rest of us" just want to do some Facebook/Twitter, play some Angry Birds, read some news, send some texts & emails, and maybe browse a few web pages per day. 2GB per month will probably be perfectly fine even if they don't have WiFi at every place they visit during a day.

Read what I posted about netflix.

Netflix only became available on android a few months ago. Netflix is not a 'goon' application. Netflix is currently the single largest source of internet traffic representing 22% of all traffic. People are going to be using netflix more and more on their phones as more devices are supported.

Data usage on smartphones has doubled from Q1 2010 to Q1 2011 and we are just getting STARTED with video streaming and video chat.

Realize that a half hour of streaming netflix a day will exhaust the 2gb data cap before the month is over.

Quit being apologetic to Verizon. This is a money grab plain and simple. 2gb was chosen to give people enough rope to hang themselves with and either charge them overages or "save them money" by making their plan $50 for 5gb. If verizon was actually concerned about spectrum use and congestion on towers they would be moving to a cap and throttle scheme rather than a cap and overage.

This is the same poo poo they did to us with text messaging. They raise the price little by little until even if you don't USE the feature often, it costs you less to buy a bigger bucket than a smaller one and pay the overage.

Above all, this stuff should not be getting more expensive as time goes on, it should be getting less expensive.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 22, 2011

• Locked thread