Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ad homonym posted:

Funny that no one mentioned those easily missable shard pieces you needed. I think I had to hit GameFAQs for one of those I couldn't find for the life of me.

Actually, poo poo, since you went there, I'm gonna tell a funny story about DQ7: it is probably second only to... FF8/9 (I forget which) for worst official strategy guide on the PS1 (the FF in question relied on a website that no longer exists for most of its content, so it wins by default). I picked it up early on because those loving shards came in three flavors: given to you by the plot, findable if you looted all chests, and gently caress YOU BUDDY.

Backing up for the people who missed out on this again: there were elemental-themed shards that you used to open portals to past versions of lands from a hub in the "present". You finish saving them and suddenly, BAM, this new chunk of land appears in the present where the game begins with only your island existing. The problem comes in that you'd need as few as one to as many as... 6 or 8, I forget what the upper cap was, to get to later areas. And some of the later ones were seeded throughout a bunch of lands. And past/present had different items in places. Just to be a dick, they had a seer you could talk to (who only showed up a little while in...) who'd point you at the next plot-relevant shard to go "in order". She wouldn't do much aside from show you a blurry snapshot of where it was, loosely. Hope you can ID a place by NPCs or surroundings alone! (Yes, I believe at least two shards were just random shining spots in the middle of a town, I know the volcano town had at least one of those in the present... I remember it to this day because THAT SHARD HID FROM ME FOR A SOLID WEEK.)

So yeah, I bought the hintbook, and it turns out that it must have been based on a beta or something, because it could not even reliably lead you to plot-required items properly. Chest listings changing? This I am down with! It's just that most games don't hide poo poo you need to CONTINUE PLAYING in random corners of a dungeon. And then pick somewhere else to put them later for the hell of it.

I need to stop thinking back to this game because it was one of my favorite Christmas presents as a kid until the second disc, and now I'm just shaking my head going "what the gently caress was I smoking?" as I recall all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

If it's the gamecube version they reduced the encounter rate and added seven extra bosses you can fight at various points in the game, all in all it's a pretty amazing game with a lush overworld, think Just Cause 2's island levels of exploration in a ship that fires giant loving harpoons at people, in the sky. drat good game.

No, it's the Dreamcast version, as mentioned. And I don't own a GC.

Oh well, guess I'll pass, then.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

VDay posted:

Does anybody wanna give me beginner (like, first 20 mins of the game) tips on starting out in Etrian Odyssey 3? It just sort of...starts, tells you to create a bunch of guys, gives them some skill points, and tells you to go. I have no idea what I should be doing with the skill points I have, for example. Should I just run around and get a feel for how the game works and then restart when I inevitably realize I hosed something up?

I remember Atlus released a few youtube tutorials on EO3 for exactly what your talking about. Try googling it.

Atlus is actually pretty awesome in that they do that for almost all of their games.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

I recommend reading the LP at least. Some of the subplots are pretty good (that petrified town :gonk:).

The subplots are what kept me going until I got bored halfway through the game and quit. I'd like to see DQVII remade with a competent class system and without the shard hunting, because there was actually a pretty interesting game beneath those layers and layers of bullshit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

VDay posted:

Does anybody wanna give me beginner (like, first 20 mins of the game) tips on starting out in Etrian Odyssey 3? It just sort of...starts, tells you to create a bunch of guys, gives them some skill points, and tells you to go. I have no idea what I should be doing with the skill points I have, for example. Should I just run around and get a feel for how the game works and then restart when I inevitably realize I hosed something up?
No problem. The original SA thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327011&pagenumber=1 - which you can check the OP for some information and the online skill planner tool, and the rest of the thread has a lot of good information if you get stuck.

I usually just link this post and tell beginners to read the next few posts regarding party creation at the start. You can stop reading when the guy thanks people for the tips.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327011&pagenumber=58&perpage=40#post384818871

If you want more random info, just read the post histories of those posters (except the new guy obv) by clicking on the little ? mark in the bottom of their posts. They all have good advice in my experience.

Also targeting mechanics 101: the enemy rolls to attack either the front or back row (front more often of course). From there it USUALLY targets the person with the highest hp. So stick your Prince in the front row so other higher HP people can protect them.

Prince is pretty much the only "must have" class at the start if you're a beginner. The HP regen while walking skill reduces your dungeon wear-and-tear significantly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

FanaticalMilk posted:

The Fire Emblem game was decent, and the Phantom Brave game is pretty good as well.

I guess I'll check Phantom Brave out. Maybe.

And I'll echo that DQV is a game every JRPG fan should play. I'm only halfway through it and if it keeps going this well I'll straight up say it'll make my Top Ten all time.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So I've been playing through Nier, and it's basically what I was told to expect. Great characterisation, voice acting and music. Poor graphics and level design. Average fighting engine.

The thing I love about the game is that it's the first RPG I've played where characters behave in an entirely realistic way. When I first encountered Kaine and saw her outfit, I rolled my eyes. Two seconds later and for the rest of the game, the characters make fun of her for basically fighting in underwear. It's just so self-aware.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
A question: I know the standard warnings about translation/gameplay regarding the non-XSEED Legend of Heroes games. How does the gameplay compare to the originals, though (Song of the Ocean in particular)? Was the gameplay always supposedly lackluster, or did they switch to a new system for the PSP ports?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Blenheim posted:

A question: I know the standard warnings about translation/gameplay regarding the non-XSEED Legend of Heroes games. How does the gameplay compare to the originals, though (Song of the Ocean in particular)? Was the gameplay always supposedly lackluster, or did they switch to a new system for the PSP ports?

They switched to a new system for the PSP Gagharv games; the old system was similarly map-based like it is in Trails but worked a bit differently. Floofy made a video of it once, let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here we are, this is how combat works in the PC-98 version of Tear of Vermillion from the mid-90s, complete with notes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYVPXDWNZd0

But basically, yeah, Namco flensed every single possible facet of those PSP ports. They're basically among the very worst second-party treatments Falcom games have ever gotten.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, I see. Thanks for that; the video was helpful.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So basically, the PC-98 versions are better than the PSP ports, eh?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

This is a bit of a specific request, but can anyone recommend an RPG with decent summons (FFVII or Disgaea 2 style summons - big dragons and poo poo that look awesome) that can be gained solely through player progression and not story progression? For example, you use one summon enough and get the next one?

Also, I mentioned Disgaea, but SRPGs have never grabbed me, even though I've tried playing them, so turn based or real-time JRPGs only, if possible.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Centipeed posted:

This is a bit of a specific request, but can anyone recommend an RPG with decent summons (FFVII or Disgaea 2 style summons - big dragons and poo poo that look awesome) that can be gained solely through player progression and not story progression? For example, you use one summon enough and get the next one?

Also, I mentioned Disgaea, but SRPGs have never grabbed me, even though I've tried playing them, so turn based or real-time JRPGs only, if possible.

Tough request. Have you played any of the SMT games like the Persona series? You start out summoning pixies and angels but by the end you are summoning Gods like Odin, Lucifer, Beelzebub, etc.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Ankle-biter posted:

Tough request. Have you played any of the SMT games like the Persona series? You start out summoning pixies and angels but by the end you are summoning Gods like Odin, Lucifer, Beelzebub, etc.

I did play Persona 4 for a little while, and the timed nature of the social links and whatnot started to overwhelm me, since I find it very hard to just ignore that sort of thing (Feel like I'm missing out).

Also, are those more powerful summons story-based or purely levelling-based?

I make the request because I love it when an RPG allows me to take time out of the story and progress my characters independent of the plot. I played through Tales of Symphonia twice because you could stop whatever you were doing story wise and level your spells simply by using other spells enough.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Centipeed posted:

Also, are those more powerful summons story-based or purely levelling-based?

both, really. You can fuse some through sheer grinding, but for a lot of the more powerful ones you have to max out a social link through the various sub-plots.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I have been playing DQIX lately and I am loving it. The game has a great sense of exploration but unlike DQVIII exploring is not a huge slog because there are no random encounters. The class system is fun although grindy as hell, the translation is surprisingly well done (even the annoying fairy sidekick is endearing) and there is just a lot of poo poo to do and find. Also I love playing dressup with my characters. Very reccomended for anyone looking for a very refined but classic JRPG.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

niggapolis posted:

the translation is surprisingly well done (even the annoying fairy sidekick is endearing)

If you can get over the groan-inducing puns and some usage issues, of course.

(that's not what "transgress" means, you shits)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I'm playing Dragon Quest VI and I've gotten to be able to pick jobs for my characters. But I'm confused, why are some of my characters simply not getting credit for battles fought? I put my main character as warrior class, and Carver as martial artist, and by the time I've had people finish their 2nd jobs Carver is still stuck on 3rd level Martial Artist and the Hero is still 4th level Warrior. I switched the Hero to Martial Artist and he seems to be gaining the job requirements no problem now, but I switched Carver to sage (or mage, can't remember. It's the attack magic class) and I still think he's stuck for some reason.

Can anybody explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
If you have characters higher level than the others (which Carver/the Hero probably are at first), they won't gain XP if you fight weaker creatures.

If it's not that to blame, no goddamn idea.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Guys, can you recommend any good DS/DSi RPGs? I just got moved to graveyard shift at my job and I might need something to do when it gets loving boring. I've never had a DS though so I have no idea what kind of RPGs you can get for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Depends on what type of RPG you're looking for, but my favorites are:

The remakes/ports:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Front Mission (It's a SRPG)

SRPG:
SMT: Devil Survivor

Dungeon Crawler:
SMT: Strange Journey

No clue what category this is:
The World Ends With You

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Nate RFB posted:

No clue what category this is:
The World Ends With You

Uhh... "Experimental"? v:confused:v

Also, Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is probably the best roguelike for the DS.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

WarLocke posted:

Guys, can you recommend any good DS/DSi RPGs? I just got moved to graveyard shift at my job and I might need something to do when it gets loving boring. I've never had a DS though so I have no idea what kind of RPGs you can get for it.

Are you open to GBA games as well? Final Fantasy 1/2 and a few other classics were ported to that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Radiant Historia.

Seriously. That thing is king poo poo of RPG mountain on the DS and you need to get it. It's Chrono Trigger with more focused time-fuckery.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Radiant Historia.

Seriously. That thing is king poo poo of RPG mountain on the DS and you need to get it. It's Chrono Trigger with more focused time-fuckery.
This needs to be said every time someone asks for a DS RPG recommendation. Really great game, it's like the DS's swan song RPG.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Radiant Historia has a rather asinine bonus boss and reuses a certain boss type one too many times. These are the only things I can complain about for Radiant Historia. It's a really good game.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rasamune posted:

If you can get over the groan-inducing puns and some usage issues, of course.

(that's not what "transgress" means, you shits)

I kinda like that actually. Best one was Jack of Alltrades becoming Master of Nu'un. I mean I dont know what the original japanese was like but obviously they put quite a bit of effort into it

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

it's like the DS's swan song RPG.

That's a great way to put it.
I actually enjoyed the game so much, I stopped before (what I think to be) the final boss fight and just started grinding. I'm near level 70 and haven't touched the game in 2 months time, kind of just don't want it to be over.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Radiant Historia.

Serious?

This means that after Dragon Quest V I got another RPG to play before I ever dare entertain the idea of a 3DS?

Well poo poo.

:woop:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I dunno, I found Radiant Historia...flat? I don't know how to explain it. The story was pretty cool, but the time travel mechanics were dumb. Every choice was the 'right' choice or instant game over. I was expecting a branching storyline, not a single branch at the beginning of the game and then nothing else. The time travel didn't add anything to the game, and it didn't seem like the main character learned anything except for very specific plot points. In Chrono Trigger, they got away with this by having time travel points separated by hundreds of years, so they couldn't do much to affect things, but when Stocke sees a guy who he knows will cause the death of hundreds and does nothing about it because it isn't far enough in the game's timeline yet, it feels silly.

I also didn't like the lack of any secondary RPG stuff. There were sidequests, but they were fairly lackluster and the rewards weren't worth the time spent. And beyond progressing the story, there just wasn't anything to do. No hidden dungeons, no secret paths, no incentive to do anything except hunt down the next guy to talk to.

I liked the story and the characters, and the combat was kind of neat. Hell, I 100%-ed the game (the secret boss was a giant pain in the rear end). But I just wasn't very impressed with the package as a whole.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 23, 2011

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Lone Rogue posted:

Serious?

I am.

You play the spymaster's right hand for one of the kingdoms in a war. Around ten minutes in you're given a book that lets you start leaping through time to "key points". Shortly after that you branch the timeline for the first time as you decide whether to stick with your boss or join an old friend on the front lines. Then you start leaping through these two seperate storylines and using what you learn in each to forward the other or correct a fuckup elsewhere or...

It's consistent with its rules, makes you think about how to solve your quests, and rewards talking to EVERYONE, since dialogue changes after (I am pretty sure) every scene in the game. The combat is basically taking the turn system from FFX (the ordered list where you can see who comes up next) and mixes it with a chain system that raises damage. You can move your people up and down the order (while leaving them vulnerable to more damage- risk/reward) to aid this, and the battles take place on a 3x3 grid you can start to move enemies over with some skills to deal more damage/keep them away from you/slide them onto traps or hazards...

I cannot praise this game enough, it is so far out of the standard JRPG cliches in every loving fashion that it deserves to be played. It's a breath of fresh air.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I tried Radiant Historia and got maybe three hours in. I don't know what it is, but it didn't grab me, at all. I couldn't even have been bored with JRPGs, since soon after I picked up DQV and Chrono Trigger and am well over 30 hours combined into them. I just... the premise was interesting, but they didn't seem to do anything really interesting with it right at the start, and the battle system felt like busywork rather than strategy. I just don't know.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Amppelix posted:

I tried Radiant Historia and got maybe three hours in. I don't know what it is, but it didn't grab me, at all. I couldn't even have been bored with JRPGs, since soon after I picked up DQV and Chrono Trigger and am well over 30 hours combined into them. I just... the premise was interesting, but they didn't seem to do anything really interesting with it right at the start, and the battle system felt like busywork rather than strategy. I just don't know.

Phew, I'm not crazy.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

UselessLurker posted:

[Radiant Historia] reuses a certain boss type one too many times.
To be fair, assuming you're talking about what I think you are, that's just so you can't cheese them by spamming traps to do thousands of damage.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I can understand both viewpoints, which makes me wish to try it.

It also sounds like it's different in a way I can appreciate instead of a way I can't (World Ends with You. I tried so hard to like it. So hard. I just couldn't.)

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Lone Rogue posted:

What were the good RPGs for the Wii?

Or hell, has anyone played every RPG on the Wii and can give a quick review? There's only like 12 for what I figure.

Rune Factory Frontier is a really good action RPG and it's also Harvest Moon :D

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

S-Alpha posted:

No, it's the Dreamcast version, as mentioned. And I don't own a GC.

Oh well, guess I'll pass, then.

After a certain point in the game you can avoid encounters entirely, and it's not like they're hard or drawn out anyway, so do play it anyway, you won't regret it

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Syrg Sapphire posted:

If you have characters higher level than the others (which Carver/the Hero probably are at first), they won't gain XP if you fight weaker creatures.

If it's not that to blame, no goddamn idea.

They are slightly a higher level. But I'm not fighting weak creatures, at least I think I'm not. I just finished a dungeon where some fights would drop a good 500 exp a fight and I'd have to heal constantly and the same poo poo happened.

Oh well. I kinda wish the game would explain why something like this would happen. But it's not a big deal. They do enough damage as it is.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Jesto posted:

My World, My Way

The problem with this, as someone playing through it right now, is that it's easy, true, but GRINDY AS poo poo. Your forward progress throughout the game is very literally a series of "collect X bear asses" quests up to the second chunk of world map that I'm on now (Port Town). Yeah, you can just use the "pout to complete quest instantly", but it doesn't show up for a while unless you grind a lot (needs 99 points) and removes one of your max pout points with every use.

I've played every Atlus game and I would not recommend this with any seriousness. (Also if you play both Master of the Monster Lair and MWMW, you'll come to realize they reuse the same engine for both, assets and all. It becomes ludicrous once you begin fighting early enemies from one game three towns into the next.)