Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Hamburglar posted:

If Verizon drops my employee discount (it's like 26%) I'm officially jumping ship.
To clarify, the article implied that *only the feature discount would no longer apply* (and only for the $30 data plan), not the access discount for your plan.

That is, the part that goes away is just the discount percentage applied to your $29.99 data plan, which for most people is 20%, or $6.00. The 26% (in your case) discount would still apply to your voice plan cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

To clarify, the article implied that *only the feature discount would no longer apply* (and only for the $30 data plan), not the access discount for your plan.

That is, the part that goes away is just the discount percentage applied to your $29.99 data plan, which for most people is 20%, or $6.00. The 26% (in your case) discount would still apply to your voice plan cost.

Alright, that's livable. I really, really wish I knew for sure if they'd consider going from 3g to 4g some sort of data change. Bleh.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Quick question... Is there no way to remove insurance from my plan on the website? It isn't listed in the change features section.
No, call 611.

I did it today, the girl was quite pleasant; though clueless about the data changes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Interestingly enough, I had Asurion mysteriously appear on my bill. I in no way asked for it, in fact I've had my current phone for 8 months now and never had Asurion. I didn't even get my phone through Verizon. No loving clue how it happened.

My friend has poo poo like that happen so often with Verizon Wireless (and FiOS) that he jokes they probably do it on purpose when they need to report earnings and then refund a month later.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I'm currently on the shared 1400 minutes, unlimited text unlimited data plan special that went around last fall.

Here's what my account looks like online:

quote:

NATIONWIDE TALK & TEXT FS 1400
Contract Ends on 12/20/12

Plan Details
Monthly access charge: $91.30 ( 17% off of $110.00)
Monthly allowance minutes: 1400 general
Per minute rate after allowance: $0.40 peak , $0.40 off-peak

Promotion details
17% ACCESS DISCOUNT
17% - FEATURE DISCOUNT
TALK & TEXT PLUS DATA $20 DISC

My understanding is that the 17% won't apply to my data package anymore, but what about the Talk & Text Plus Data $20 Discount? If they touch that I can skip on Verizon with no ETF, right?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Hamburglar posted:

Interestingly enough, I had Asurion mysteriously appear on my bill. I in no way asked for it, in fact I've had my current phone for 8 months now and never had Asurion. I didn't even get my phone through Verizon. No loving clue how it happened.

My friend has poo poo like that happen so often with Verizon Wireless (and FiOS) that he jokes they probably do it on purpose when they need to report earnings and then refund a month later.

The opposite happened to me, as it mysteriously disappeared from my account. When I called and inquired about a replacement, she told me that Asurian was cancelled the week before with no notes on the account explaining why it happened or who requested it.

I ended up having to get a manager approval for a warranty replacement, even though I was technically not eligible.

Very shady.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Acrolos posted:

The opposite happened to me, as it mysteriously disappeared from my account. When I called and inquired about a replacement, she told me that Asurian was cancelled the week before with no notes on the account explaining why it happened or who requested it.

I ended up having to get a manager approval for a warranty replacement, even though I was technically not eligible.

Very shady.

Yep. She couldn't even tell me who requested it or on what date. The difference here is I was being hosed out of money because I wouldn't even be eligible for a replacement under Asurion since I bought my phone on eBay. Cute how yours was mysteriously gone when having it would have benefited you, and mine was mysteriously there when it wouldn't be benefiting me.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Asurion is pulling a weird promotion. I got the following text:

quote:

Protect your Thunderbolt. Sign up for equipment coverage during this special enrollment opportunity. Protect your device from theft, loss, damage and mechanical/electrical defects after the manufacturer's warranty for a low monthly fee and applicable deductible. Choose the coverage option that is right for you by visiting https://www.vzwphoneprotection.com or call 877-298-2065. Limited time offer ends July 20, 2011. Reply "X" 2 Stop. To "Opt-Out", Reply with "Q".

How are Stop and Opt-Out two different things? Did they sign me up and expect me to opt-out?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Ok, reading the email posted on Android Central, It looks like the discount not applying to the $30 plan is what will happen if you sign up after July 7th, not what will happen to people with the $30 unlimited plan retroactively. It's all to get you to go to a higher plan. The Family plan is similar, you need at least the $45 plan to get the discount there. Again, this is just how I'm reading it, it would be nice if anyone can confirm it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Is there a 4G phone out now that compares to the Incredible? That is what I have now and I might be willing to give it to the wife if I can get a similar handset that does 4G.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

kensei posted:

Is there a 4G phone out now that compares to the Incredible? That is what I have now and I might be willing to give it to the wife if I can get a similar handset that does 4G.

The Thunderbolt is basically the Incredible with a 4G radio duct-taped to the back, a bigger screen, and some extra RAM.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Aurium posted:

I very well could be wrong. I know that many sellers refuse to let you walk out the door with service without a contract, regardless of whether you brought your own phone. It could be a training issue. I also know that it is official policy for some companies but perhaps not Verizon's.

This is generally a strong-arm tactic of premium retailers who are selling Verizon service and hardware but are not literally Verizon stores. These stores are always shady as hell. I used to work for a chain in Ohio and the owner was screwing employees out of commission, charging the customer more money for phones and accessories, and basically being a terrible person overall.

If you see a Verizon store that has anything under the VERIZON name and logo, it's pretty much a guarantee that you aren't going into a corporate location.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Aurium posted:

In short, yes. It's Verizon's policy, along with at&t and Sprint, that new customers cannot sign up for month to month service.

This is not true at all. You can sign up for Month to Month for over a year now.

I just had another meeting today, and they are saying that 3G > 4G will not force you to lose unlimited data.

BUT, having been in this game for 15 years, I will believe it when I can process the transaction and have it work, and even then I want to see that scenario in writing specifically.

Another thing I took from this meeting is they really are going to push the whole "exchange requires $44.99" bullshit on platforms other than blackberry.

Its stupid though...if like they claim 90% of users use less than 2GB, why do this in the first place? There aren't any issues with capacity anywhere..

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mighty Horse posted:

Its stupid though...if like they claim 90% of users use less than 2GB, why do this in the first place? There aren't any issues with capacity anywhere..

Apparently they are not satisfied with :10bux: * 1 billion per year profit

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
If I had to take a guess, it's because over the next two years or so they are going to start using VoLTE which is wholly data transmission. So, if people aren't going to need cell signal then cell minutes becomes non-existent, and it's all just data. Suddenly paying 80/mo for 10 gb that covers both my phone use and data use isn't so bad.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

AppleCobbler posted:

If I had to take a guess, it's because over the next two years or so they are going to start using VoLTE which is wholly data transmission. So, if people aren't going to need cell signal then cell minutes becomes non-existent, and it's all just data. Suddenly paying 80/mo for 10 gb that covers both my phone use and data use isn't so bad.

No phone company will likely ever make a change from calling minutes, minutes and data, data if only because minutes is something that people have a tangible idea of it in their mind. About the most you can expect is someone advertising improved sound quality, maybe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mighty Horse posted:

Another thing I took from this meeting is they really are going to push the whole "exchange requires $44.99" bullshit on platforms other than blackberry.

Yeah, good luck with that. ActiveSync uses HTTPS. So, unless they are going to start breaking connections with long TTLs (potentially breaking a whole lot of stuff that uses push), there's no way to enforce that.

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
I guess I'm going to have to jump to Verizon before 7/7 then.

If I have a corporate discount, but I want to buy my phones from Amazon wireless, how can I get my corporate discount added? Do I have to go into a Verizon store after I get my phones?

Another weird question. Amazon doesn't sell the Iphone 4 for Verizon. If I buy 2 phones from Amazon Wireless, then go into the store to activate a 3rd line, will the 3rd line get the subsidized price for the Iphone?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

fnkels posted:

If I have a corporate discount, but I want to buy my phones from Amazon wireless, how can I get my corporate discount added? Do I have to go into a Verizon store after I get my phones?

Another weird question. Amazon doesn't sell the Iphone 4 for Verizon. If I buy 2 phones from Amazon Wireless, then go into the store to activate a 3rd line, will the 3rd line get the subsidized price for the Iphone?

New lines always get subsidized prices. Corp discounts can be added online or in store.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does Verizon still limit GPS ability in their phones without the purchase of a monthly service like VZ Navigator? I keep seeing this on less-techy forums and anything in the news about it seems like it's from 2009.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hed posted:

Does Verizon still limit GPS ability in their phones without the purchase of a monthly service like VZ Navigator? I keep seeing this on less-techy forums and anything in the news about it seems like it's from 2009.

Verizon hasn't locked out GPS on their smartphones for years.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hed posted:

Does Verizon still limit GPS ability in their phones without the purchase of a monthly service like VZ Navigator?
Maybe on some dumbphones? Definitely not on smartphones, dear lord.

I think they still install VZ Navigator on their Android phones, but if it's a "with Google" device (e.g., Thunderbolt, Droid Charge) then it comes with Google Maps/Navigation out of the box, and if it's a Bing device, you can download them from the Market. Or use the Bing Navigator I guess.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Hed posted:

I use google maps navigation on my phone and do not pay for vz nav. so, I guess not.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Hed posted:

Jesus christ, this will never die. :psyduck:

People have some weird ideas about Verizon, man. I had someone throw a Pre at me when I worked there because he was convinced we were blocking his GPS. He apparently had some issues understanding that GPS doesn't work too well in basements.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
The Pre has a boatload of issue with GPS on both Sprint and Verizon. Apparently VZ nav on it works fine....Some of the pre community that hasn't jumped ship like to blame Verizon.

But it works fine on WebOS 2.0, which HP elected not to offer for the Plus even though the developer units were Plusses with 2.0 and tons of hackers are running 2.0 on Pre Pluses and Sprint Pres...

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

fnkels posted:

To add your discount, you can either sign up at Verizon's Employee Discount Program registration page, or by visiting your local corporate Verizon store with a recent paystub (<60 days old) or a work ID badge which has at least your first initial & last name to show proof of employment. Do it ASAP, though, because it only takes effect once you show proof (i.e. it's not backdated).

Also, as Cozmosis said, you'll have no problem getting the iPhone for $199/$299 if you're activating the 3rd line later at the store.

Hank Killinger
Jul 13, 2008
With the new data tiers, could there also be more granular voice tiers ($20 for 100m or $30 for 200min)? I typically use less than 100 minutes a month. I'd get a smartphone immediately if I could find a plan on a reliable network that doesn't have me spending hundreds of dollars a year on voice minutes I don't need.

Right now I'm on AT&T's 10c/min prepaid daily plan; at my usage rate it's about $15 a month. It's hard to drop something so cheap, but smartphones are so enticing I'd quadruple my current costs to get one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
How's Sprint coverage in your area?

Virgin Mobile has a 300 min / unlimited data plan for $25/mo, and offer the decent Optimus V for $150.

Hank Killinger
Jul 13, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

How's Sprint coverage in your area?

Virgin Mobile has a 300 min / unlimited data plan for $25/mo, and offer the decent Optimus V for $150.

Baltimore area, so pretty good actually. You're right that the VM $25 Optimus plan is the best option for me right now (I've been keeping an eye on the Hobo Android thread); however I'd pay more per month for the ability to roam and have more smarthpone options.

I can't tell if the $40-$60 sweet spot for Data+Minimum Voice is going to ever happen with major carriers. I wonder who will crack first, me or my old rear end Razr V3 (almost 5yo now).

Hank Killinger fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 23, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Verizon hasn't locked out GPS on their smartphones for years.

...unless they run webOS (aGPS anyway). :v:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Yeah, Palm devices got shafted on GPS.

There is a hack that runs vznavigator before launching google maps, there seems to be no GPS without it.

Also, my Samsung Saga (lol windows mobile) hates GPS even though it was unlocked with a firmware update. While I blame this more on lovely old rear end technology, I merely expect Verizon to cockblock devices one way or another.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 23, 2011

Pepper Potts
Jul 14, 2010
Can someone answer this for me? I didn't read back the last few pages so sorry if someone already did.

I currently have an Android phone but I want to get an iPhone. I'm eligible to upgrade. Since I already have a data plan, will I be grandfathered in with unlimited data for forever, or should I pick up the iPhone before July 7?

I asked at a Verizon store yesterday but not even they could tell me one way or the other. Maybe a Goon has the necessary knowledge.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Pepper Potts posted:

Can someone answer this for me? I didn't read back the last few pages so sorry if someone already did.

I currently have an Android phone but I want to get an iPhone. I'm eligible to upgrade. Since I already have a data plan, will I be grandfathered in with unlimited data for forever, or should I pick up the iPhone before July 7?

I asked at a Verizon store yesterday but not even they could tell me one way or the other. Maybe a Goon has the necessary knowledge.

All current signs point to yes, you'll have it forever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Forever is a strong term.

We'll probably have it until AT&T blinks and takes away the grandfathered data on their network. Then Verizon will phase it out by requiring a new dataplan code on all new devices moving forward.

I'm just banking on a big backlash over caps with respect to available services like Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and Netflix over the next two years of my contract so that I won't have to worry about it ever.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

bull3964 posted:

Forever is a strong term.

We'll probably have it until AT&T blinks and takes away the grandfathered data on their network. Then Verizon will phase it out by requiring a new dataplan code on all new devices moving forward.

I'm just banking on a big backlash over caps with respect to available services like Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and Netflix over the next two years of my contract so that I won't have to worry about it ever.

Yeah, my hope is that eventually the Proletariat will stage an uprising after AT&T and Verizon offer plans that are so restrictive that everyone is getting overage fees from standard use.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Can a carrier just yank something like grandfathered unlimited data? Is there a precedent set? (i.e. not speculation)

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Anyone looking for a cheap 4g phone before the 7th, Amazon Wireless has the Revolution for $99.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Anyone looking for a cheap 4g phone before the 7th, Amazon Wireless has the Revolution for $99.

Actually the other 2 4G phones aren't at bad prices on there either. Is there a catch to signing up over Amazon? I haven't used it before.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

Actually the other 2 4G phones aren't at bad prices on there either. Is there a catch to signing up over Amazon? I haven't used it before.

Extra etf if you cancel service with in like a year. They also charge you if you end the data plan early.

hotsauce posted:

Can a carrier just yank something like grandfathered unlimited data? Is there a precedent set? (i.e. not speculation)

Kind of depends on what you mean by grandfathering.

If you mean just being able to carry on indefinitely with what you have now with no changes, then basically no.*

If you mean being able to sign a new contract repeatedly with what you have now and receive updated hardware, then yes.**

EDIT:
I remembered an old post of someone saying that he was currently grandfathered, but if he changed anything about his plan, he'd loose his unlimited data. It took me a good 30minutes of searching, but I found it. It's not decisive, but it is evidence.

Hamburglar posted:

Verizon already got rid of the unlimited data plan for mobile broadband like 2 years ago. However, when they did it, I was grandfathered in. The Verizon rep pretty much threatened me that if I so much as broke my broadband card and had to get a new one I'd be hosed and capped.

*They can legally do this, but don't. It's bad business; it lets people out of contracts and makes them extra angry.

**The draw of new hardware is a huge killer of old plans. Look though the old sprint thread and you'll see tons of people gnashing their teeth about choosing between SERO*** and a good phone.**** Sure, eventually sprint relented and allowed the evo on SERO, with a couple of surcharges, but it had already taken a huge bite out of those subscribers.

***$30 a month for talk text and data. On WinMo 6.x

****The Evo 4G.

Aurium fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

hotsauce posted:

They can, but it also allows people to dump their contracts, since it's a price-change within-contract.

• Locked thread