Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

I'm almost legendary four, I've been playing since day 1, and I still don't understand some poo poo.

How come this gently caress I was just playing against can just run around the corner and kill me, but doesn't show up on my map? I'm creeping around like a dumb rear end while he just jogs around and gets the jump on people. Is it only when you are sprinting?

Also, how the hell do people roll multiple times in a row? Is it a glitch?

In hardcore you only appear on radar if you're sprinting or shooting. You're running (not sprinting) by default so crouch walking everywhere will do you no good unless you're purposely trying to remain unseen. I'm still not entirely sure if crouching while you shoot makes you appear on radar or not. I'd swear I've seen a few people take potshots at me while crouched just a few feet away and remain invisible, not wholly sure on that though.

Oh, riding horses pings you on radar as well. It doesn't seem to always be constant, people intermittently fade away on your map when riding - I'd wager that's more of a connectivity issue though. Oddly enough the most effective weapon to use stealthily online is probably dynamite. I absolutely love dropping a stick in the middle of a road when I have a posse of pubbies galloping after me. Seeing a puff of smoke in the distance behind you as you rack up 3 kills is intensely satisfying.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

fennesz posted:

In hardcore you only appear on radar if you're sprinting or shooting. You're running (not sprinting) by default so crouch walking everywhere will do you no good unless you're purposely trying to remain unseen. I'm still not entirely sure if crouching while you shoot makes you appear on radar or not. I'd swear I've seen a few people take potshots at me while crouched just a few feet away and remain invisible, not wholly sure on that though.

Oh, riding horses pings you on radar as well. It doesn't seem to always be constant, people intermittently fade away on your map when riding - I'd wager that's more of a connectivity issue though. Oddly enough the most effective weapon to use stealthily online is probably dynamite. I absolutely love dropping a stick in the middle of a road when I have a posse of pubbies galloping after me. Seeing a puff of smoke in the distance behind you as you rack up 3 kills is intensely satisfying.

So the default jog doesn't make you appear on the map? Ugh...I've been crouching everywhere no matter what.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

fennesz posted:

Thats the first thing I've read that makes me want to try multiplayer. Last time I looked Gold was too expensive here for constantly running away from 12yr olds with 1000+ hours clocked on sniping from watertowers, but I may give it a try now.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Am I the only one to dislike the undead nightmare? I just met rickets in Mexico, and I can't push on any further. I've had the ending spoiled and the gameplay doesn't do anything for me.

The original game isn't fun for me anymore either. I've finished the game, and jack isn't as fun to play as as John. Although when he says "you taught me well, pa", I tear up.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Apparently this has some more DLC coming.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Spawny0908/Rockstar_Announces_Fan_Appreciation_Red_Dead_DLC_%28and_it%27s_FREE!!!%29

Now how about a drat PC port already :( Also the first comment there suggests another three hour triple XP tomorrow. Why they won't do a proper drat weekend of it is beyond me, but oh well whatever.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Capn Beeb posted:

Apparently this has some more DLC coming.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Spawny0908/Rockstar_Announces_Fan_Appreciation_Red_Dead_DLC_%28and_it%27s_FREE!!!%29

Now how about a drat PC port already :( Also the first comment there suggests another three hour triple XP tomorrow. Why they won't do a proper drat weekend of it is beyond me, but oh well whatever.
Uh do you have an actual source for this? I mean wikipedia is kind of suspect without a source but an unsourced post by a random guy that's not even on an article makes me question it's legitimacy.

Crayfish
May 7, 2009

doctor 7 posted:

Uh do you have an actual source for this? I mean wikipedia is kind of suspect without a source but an unsourced post by a random guy that's not even on an article makes me question it's legitimacy.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/16621/free-fan-appreciation-dlc-for-red-dead-coming-soon.html

There ya go.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

GreatKesh posted:

Am I the only one to dislike the undead nightmare? I just met rickets in Mexico, and I can't push on any further. I've had the ending spoiled and the gameplay doesn't do anything for me.

The original game isn't fun for me anymore either.
If you aren't a fan of the Wild West backdrop in the first place, then you're not likely going to enjoy the game for an extended period of time. If you're like me and still enjoy watching and re-watching movies like Clint Eastwood's Man-with-No-Name series, then yeah, it's still pretty awesome playing as a badass gunslinger. Playing that role is fun and we don't have a lot of games based around that situation.

I actually just bought Undead Nightmare a couple of weeks ago. Just got to Mexico last night and I'm still having fun. But I also like to force myself to run into hordes of enemies/zombies and take them out at close range for fun, too. I found out the hard way that taking on cougars on foot with the torch is a bad idea, though. I like this game too much to hate it for long, and I'm typing too much about it so bye.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Oh man oh man, one last glimmer of hope for undead freeroam :allears:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Capn Beeb posted:

When I first got 100% I debated whether I would bother rebuying it on PC like I aways do with GTA games. Then once I realized they weren't making it I kind of wanted it more just because I couldn't have it. Now that I've upgraded my video card I'm practically foaming at the mouth for one.

Woodsun
Jan 26, 2007
Would also love to get in on some multiplayer co-op. GT: Woodsun

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Anyone but me hope the FREE DLC is the ability to finally dual wield pistols and rob trains in free roam?

:clint:

Yeah it'll never happen but man it would be sweet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Now how about a drat PC port already :(
Rockstar San Diego gives the PC no love.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

Anyone but me hope the FREE DLC is the ability to finally dual wield pistols and rob trains in free roam?

:clint:

Yeah it'll never happen but man it would be sweet.

quote:

UPDATE* 6/21/11 In response to a commentor Rockstar gave us a few hints as to what the DLC is: "As previously stated, we will not be adding a train into multiplayer for Red Dead Redemption or Undead Nightmare. It's great to see so many of you are stoked for more Red Dead Redemption DLC though. This free DLC will open up some new multiplayer locations and add additional multiplayer characters for you to choose from."

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh, no more SP stuff? Oh well, it was a fun year. :shobon:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm wondering if Herbert Moon will be released. I can see avoiding all the racism stuff but I so want to race through towns yelling "I'M HERBERT MOOOON".

Preferable at night and on a buffalo.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm wondering if Herbert Moon will be released. I can see avoiding all the racism stuff but I so want to race through towns yelling "I'M HERBERT MOOOON".

Preferable at night and on a buffalo.

while killing Natives, Fabians, Colored, Asians, Women, Catholics, and Homosexuals.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
It says fan favorite multiplayer characters, so it HAS to be Herbert Moon...who else is there?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Don't forget the british!

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Dr.Smasher posted:

while killing Natives, Fabians, Colored, Asians, Women, Catholics, and Homosexuals.

Dual-wielding Gatling guns on a saddled bear.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
All I want is a bear mount.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
How about an armored turret mounted on a bear cart?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Is Herbert MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON playable in multiplayer yet?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Underflow posted:

How about an armored turret mounted on a bear cart?

That too.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I have a grave dilemma on my hands. I can either go through RDR again and do as much as the kid as possible, or install LA Noire, which has the huge letdown of not having 1st-person driving.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
RDR Special Edition Glitch Mounts: Rabbit, Snake, Your Wife

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Saint Sputnik posted:

RDR Special Edition Glitch Mounts: Rabbit, Snake, Your Wife

I'd love to see a lot of the old glitches come back. Donkey Woman, the birds re-skinned as people...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

davebo posted:

When I first got 100% I debated whether I would bother rebuying it on PC like I aways do with GTA games. Then once I realized they weren't making it I kind of wanted it more just because I couldn't have it. Now that I've upgraded my video card I'm practically foaming at the mouth for one.

This is how I feel as well. Now that I have a top of the line PC, I can just see how amazing RDR would look on it. The game is amazing looking on consoles as is.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Even though I've swayed back to consoles for the majority of my gaming, I'd gladly upgrade/build a new PC if RDR were released for it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Underflow posted:

I have a grave dilemma on my hands. I can either go through RDR again and do as much as the kid as possible, or install LA Noire, which has the huge letdown of not having 1st-person driving.

The solution to your grave dilemma is clearly Undead Nightmare. :iamafag:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Underflow posted:

Thats the first thing I've read that makes me want to try multiplayer. Last time I looked Gold was too expensive here for constantly running away from 12yr olds with 1000+ hours clocked on sniping from watertowers, but I may give it a try now.

Another thing I should add regarding sniping. Whenever you take a shot with a sniper rifle you'll probably see your bullet fly off in a seemingly random direction no where near where you were aiming. If you totally ignore that bullet and just pretend that your sniper rifle is a laser you'll hit what you're aiming at 100% of the time. Your bullet always fires at the exact center of your crosshair, every time. I should also mention that the Rolling Block is better than the Carcano, it does more damage and kills in 1 bullet more reliably.

I had a hell of a time with sniper rifles because I thought the bullet took a random flight path, now my favorite thing to do in free roam is sniping a dude off of his horse 300 yards away while I'm galloping up a hill.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

The voice of Ricketts died last month :(

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0353448/

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

GenoCanSing posted:

The voice of Ricketts died last month :(

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0353448/

Zombie Ricketts is now canon.

In honor of this, someone needs to make a :clint: + :zombie: hybrid. Maybe make the cigar a bleeding finger stump.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Morter posted:

Zombie Ricketts is now canon.

In honor of this, someone needs to make a :clint: + :zombie: hybrid. Maybe make the cigar a bleeding finger stump.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

His real name is Leland Lilly. What's with these badass cowboys born with wuss names? I'm looking at you, Marion Morrison.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

jabro posted:

His real name is Leland Lilly. What's with these badass cowboys born with wuss names? I'm looking at you, Marion Morrison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1BJfDvSITY

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
3X XP is still going on as of 9:45PM EST :toot:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Fuzz posted:

The solution to your grave dilemma is clearly Undead Nightmare. :iamafag:

This'll make me unpopular, but: I am not a zombielover. They're already dead and they don't seem to feel pain or anything else, so there's no great pleasure in dispatching them. Otoh, there's satisfaction in shooting insulting gangmembers and people who don't like your cheating at poker. Zombies can't even talk or play cards, so there's no feedback other than UNGHHH. They say that anyway tho.

fennesz posted:

Another thing I should add regarding sniping. Whenever you take a shot with a sniper rifle you'll probably see your bullet fly off in a seemingly random direction no where near where you were aiming. If you totally ignore that bullet and just pretend that your sniper rifle is a laser you'll hit what you're aiming at 100% of the time. Your bullet always fires at the exact center of your crosshair, every time. I should also mention that the Rolling Block is better than the Carcano, it does more damage and kills in 1 bullet more reliably.

Took me a while to realise the Rolling Block was more powerful than the Carcano, cause the stats are wrong. And I think I was allowing for bullet drift as well. When you clear a gang hideout and take careful headshots with the Winchester a certain number of shots just won't hit.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Dammit Rockstar, would it kill you to do a double/triple XP weekend :( 2k for Pike's Basin and I just reached 39.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niff
Jul 4, 2010
ha, got from level 29 to legend 1 and back up to 14 in the 20-hour period the event was on. i got the last 45-50 and 1-14 after legend while i was blackout drunk as well - was a nice surprise in the morning when i turned the game on. i am sad i don't remember riding bonzo, though.

• Locked thread