Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Morpheus posted:

Phew, I'm not crazy.
That makes 3 of us I guess. I thought I was alone in the world too.

Amppelix posted:

I tried Radiant Historia and got maybe three hours in. I don't know what it is, but it didn't grab me, at all. I couldn't even have been bored with JRPGs, since soon after I picked up DQV and Chrono Trigger and am well over 30 hours combined into them. I just... the premise was interesting, but they didn't seem to do anything really interesting with it right at the start, and the battle system felt like busywork rather than strategy. I just don't know.
For me it was purely the characters. The ones that join you in particular are not very interesting mechanically or personally.

The combat never really grabbed me in the way it grabbed others either. It's a terribly easy system to abuse as a human player while the CPU consistently struggles with it. They compensate for this by mixing in status attacks that just drags things on.

I'm still playing through it myself, but it's a slow forced crawl that I only do when I'm away from my usual stuff. I can definitely say the game is pretty lackluster for the first 5 hours. It improves after that but then it nose-dived again for me when some little girl (who seems completely broken as gently caress thanks to the traps mechanic) started tagging along, forcing me to collect wood for a fire. It's picked up for me since, but it definitely has those really slowboat moments.

WarLocke posted:

Guys, can you recommend any good DS/DSi RPGs? I just got moved to graveyard shift at my job and I might need something to do when it gets loving boring. I've never had a DS though so I have no idea what kind of RPGs you can get for it.
Infinite Space is a good one if you enjoy Space Opera. The gameplay can be a little weak at times, but it's sort of fun customizing your ships into an engine of destruction. The real soul is the plot/characters though. It starts off as a science fan-fic for the first hour but it does get good/enjoyable. Watch the youtube tutorials on this game if you do decide to play it, the game does not explain the fundamentals very well.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I don't know how anyone can play TOEE long enough to find out it's good cause low level D&D combat is completely terrible

I mean I guess I'd be mad that my guys can't hit anything if on the other hand the enemies could ever actually hit them

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

WarLocke posted:

Guys, can you recommend any good DS/DSi RPGs? I just got moved to graveyard shift at my job and I might need something to do when it gets loving boring. I've never had a DS though so I have no idea what kind of RPGs you can get for it.
Infinite Space is an RPG set in space with a crazy amount of customization.

Midorka posted:

Are you open to GBA games as well? Final Fantasy 1/2 and a few other classics were ported to that.
Also, Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1 and 2 are good SRPGs.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Infinite Space either has a pretty decent plot or is the single longest, most convoluted, and most Japanese excuse possible to have a plot passing off a dude who wants to bone his sister. It's a testament of how actually pretty decent I considered the former case that I didn't write the plot off for the latter case.

Also the gameplay is really boring after the early bits.

UselessLurker fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 24, 2011

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
As far as DS RPGs go, the Etrian Odyssey games need to be mentioned. The third one is still widely available new, and you don't need to have played the previous ones to dive right in. It's a Wizardry-style dungeon crawler, but they're more or less the finest Wizardry descendants currently available on the U.S. market. I'm loving Etrian III so far.

RadicalR posted:

So basically, the PC-98 versions are better than the PSP ports, eh?

Sadly enough, yeah. Aside from somewhat improved graphics, the PSP versions are really poor in every regard, especially in English.

The grand arc of the plots in the Gagharv games isn't really that much to write home about, but the PSP versions we got still managed to surgically remove what charming and unique points the games had originally, especially back in the mid-90s (remember, that was real-time tactical RPG combat with menu interrupts as early as 1994 - only Ultima VII had tried to go real-time at that point, and things that worked more or less exactly like the LoH Gagharv games did, such as Baldur's Gate, were nearly half a decade away.

They aren't the best games in the world, but the early LoH games got a raw deal.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

As far as DS RPGs go, the Etrian Odyssey games need to be mentioned. The third one is still widely available new, and you don't need to have played the previous ones to dive right in. It's a Wizardry-style dungeon crawler, but they're more or less the finest Wizardry descendants currently available on the U.S. market. I'm loving Etrian III so far.
If I found Etrian Odyssey 1 boring as hell do you think it would be worth giving 3 a try?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zereth posted:

If I found Etrian Odyssey 1 boring as hell do you think it would be worth giving 3 a try?

Depends on how you found EO1 boring. If dungeon crawls with relatively minimal plot just Aren't Your Thing, EO3 probably won't convert you (though it might). If things like the lack of strafing, fairly vanilla classes and a lack of variety ticked you off, however, EO3 basically improves on all fronts because the (all new) classes are inventive and neat, the monster designs are cool, the seafaring is a nice break from the dungeon, the sidequests are inventive and varied even early on and there's a lot of nice little interface tweaks that make the game a smoother experience. Oh and the FOE and boss music tracks are completely off the loving chain this time around.

Basically the real question is "do you like Wizardry-style dungeon crawlers"? If you do, even a little bit, EO3 should be a rocking good time because it's a great refinement on all those elements.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

As I vaguely remember, it was mostly the "Hey great! You've beaten this floor, it poses no serious threat to you as long as you aren't a moron! What? Go to the NEXT floor? hahahaha nope! TIME TO GRIND!" thing. It's been ages though, I don't remember it very clearly. Also I remember it being really assholeish about respeccing if you did something wrong.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zereth posted:

As I vaguely remember, it was mostly the "Hey great! You've beaten this floor, it poses no serious threat to you as long as you aren't a moron! What? Go to the NEXT floor? hahahaha nope! TIME TO GRIND!" thing. It's been ages though, I don't remember it very clearly. Also I remember it being really assholeish about respeccing if you did something wrong.

Ahh, the respecs are one aspect that's improved; below level 6, there's no "level reset" at all and you can respec and experiment to your heart's delight, and after level 6 it's only a five-level penalty (and tbqfh you can gain that back pretty fast).

As far as grinding goes, you'll get most of the levels you need just from exploring and doing sidequests (which now reward you with huge dollops of EXP), and if you decide to hunt FOEs, they absolutely poo poo EXP as well. If anything, I kind of overleveled without really meaning to in my game, though I suspect one's mileage on that may vary.

tldr: I used to be kind of skeptical about this sort of game but EO3 made me a believer and I love it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zereth posted:

As I vaguely remember, it was mostly the "Hey great! You've beaten this floor, it poses no serious threat to you as long as you aren't a moron! What? Go to the NEXT floor? hahahaha nope! TIME TO GRIND!" thing.

Yeah this is completely gone from EO3. If you're like me and you wanted to love the first game but ended up hating it because it was really badly balanced and paced and just didn't have enough to it, you will probably love EO3.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That being said, if you are really mediocre at the game then grinding is always an option. There was a guy in the EO3 thread who used to go on and on incessantly about how much he had to grind, it was quite painful to watch :(

EO3 is pretty balanced and the difficulty had to be pulled back substantially from its predecessors due to the nature of the main/sub job system. The class system would have been no where near as fun if the game was significantly harder as you would likely be pigeon holed into the obvious powergaming combinations. As it is, you can use most any combination as long as you cover the basic bases in your party and stick to a strategy. To be honest it's a pretty easy game most of the time (post is a bit different though without a FAQ).

Also there is a little sailing mini-game which is sort of like a big puzzle side game, that has tons of hours for you to spend in it. Doing this portion of the game gives you a lot of bonuses that help out in the main game (money, weapons/armors, rare monster parts, etc).

stfu
May 16, 2011

I think I just drooled on my keyboard a little bit.

WarLocke posted:

The World Ends With You if you're into real-time battle systems and touchscreen control nonsense. It took me a second try to really get into it. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure for you're kinda-cute, balls-easy game. Seriously, don't play this if you can't maintain interest on story/visuals/music alone. It's good for tuning out. Knights in the Nightmare is the system's token "weird" RPG with nigh unheard of levels of esotericism and complexity. I wouldn't believe strategy RPG and bullet hell shooter were two genres that could work together if this game didn't exist.

Aside from that you have you're pick from any number of 8/16-bit era remakes and/or homages like the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Amazon is doing XSeed PSP lightning deals all day today.

Included in that is Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, the Lunar 1 remake, and all the Ys games from XSeed. Some of them are also their limited/premium editions.

EDIT: Full list from the C&D Amazon thread.

1PM EST - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky LE - was $39.99 now $27.99
4PM EST - Lunar: Silver Star Harmony LE
6PM EST - Ys Seven PE
8PM EST - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Regular Edition
9PM EST - YS: The Oath In Felghana PE
10PM EST - YS: The Oath In Felghana Standard Edition

iastudent fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 24, 2011

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ah, sounds like EO3 is much improved from EO1, I'll see about giving it a shot. EDIT: In fact, I'm planning to go shopping near a Gamestop later... wonder if they have any copies.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
PSP sales are so soul crushing, given that UMDs will not be usable on the new PSP2/Vita/etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So is there no story in EO3 if I'm reading it right?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tae posted:

So is there no story in EO3 if I'm reading it right?

There's a story but it's pretty light. There's enough events and quests and stuff to keep it interesting though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
EO3 definitely has a story. I mean don't expect a blistering party-filled narrative or anything. There's a couple of particularly important characters and some moments here and there.

Nobody really plays dungeon crawlers for the story though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You are a person! You go into a dungeon! You fight battles and sometimes leve up!

Yeah, not really as far as I know.

E: I guess I didn't play far enough.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Rascyc posted:

PSP sales are so soul crushing, given that UMDs will not be usable on the new PSP2/Vita/etc.

Hold on to your old PSP, softmod it for homebrew, then backup your UMDs and enjoy your "digital" copies. :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zereth posted:

Ah, sounds like EO3 is much improved from EO1, I'll see about giving it a shot. EDIT: In fact, I'm planning to go shopping near a Gamestop later... wonder if they have any copies.

GameStop should still have some new copies (always buy new for games like this, remember, so that the publishers see benefit).

One little warning I have to give involves the Prince/Princess class, though, if you try to use them as "main" healers off the bat. It takes a little while to wrap your head around how their passive healing works, but once you do they're really effective. You'll probably find it frustrating to dive in with one straight off the bat, though; you'll probably want a Monk too (they heal in EO3) or lots of healing items.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Since I can't find a Xenoblade thread and I don't think the Wii thread has enough readers, I'll bring this up here as well:

People are getting frustrated by Nintendo's complete lack of, well, anything to say about The Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade, so some people are organizing a mass snail mail protest thing to hopefully get Nintendo's notice and make them realize they're pissing away money by not releasing these games here.

I'm gonna pen up and send my letter soonish, just need to get an envelope and figure out postage, but what this campaign really needs is a lot of people, sending a lot of (polite) letters, asking for these games.

If you're feeling like helping out/pissed off that NoA's acting like douches/want to play an actual RPG on your Wii and don't want to resort of replaying GC RPG's again, read up on the details here:

http://www.destructoid.com/letter-writing-campaign-for-last-story-pandora-s-tower-204505.phtml

If you honestly don't give a poo poo, move along and stay classy by keeping your pessimistic comments short and hopefully giggle-worthy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They had exactly one copy, the "new" copy used for the display box. Time to poke around! EDIT: "This royalty skill regains TP with each new enhancement received". :confused:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 25, 2011

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Since I can't find a Xenoblade thread and I don't think the Wii thread has enough readers, I'll bring this up here as well:

People are getting frustrated by Nintendo's complete lack of, well, anything to say about The Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Xenoblade, so some people are organizing a mass snail mail protest thing to hopefully get Nintendo's notice and make them realize they're pissing away money by not releasing these games here.

I'm gonna pen up and send my letter soonish, just need to get an envelope and figure out postage, but what this campaign really needs is a lot of people, sending a lot of (polite) letters, asking for these games.

If you're feeling like helping out/pissed off that NoA's acting like douches/want to play an actual RPG on your Wii and don't want to resort of replaying GC RPG's again, read up on the details here:

http://www.destructoid.com/letter-writing-campaign-for-last-story-pandora-s-tower-204505.phtml

If you honestly don't give a poo poo, move along and stay classy by keeping your pessimistic comments short and hopefully giggle-worthy.

I would love to do this. But considering I can't send/receive mail right now thanks to Canada Post. Not going to happen. :(

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zereth posted:

They had exactly one copy, the "new" copy used for the display box. Time to poke around! EDIT: "This royalty skill regains TP with each new enhancement received". :confused:

A few are oddly phrased for the Prince/ess, yeah; with that one, any time they get buffed, she regains TP. This includes their own buffs.

Like I said, the royals take a little time to wrap your head around, but once you do, they're like the best support class in any game ever.

There is a dedicated Etrian III thread, too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327011

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

A few are oddly phrased for the Prince/ess, yeah; with that one, any time they get buffed, she regains TP. This includes their own buffs.

Like I said, the royals take a little time to wrap your head around, but once you do, they're like the best support class in any game ever.

There is a dedicated Etrian III thread, too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327011
... how hard is it to get them to the point where they get more TP than the buffs cost to use?

And duh, of course there is! Well, I'll check it out tomorrow. For now, I cleared out the first floor as much as I seem to be able to right now, had my B-team of farmers run screaming to a gather point, grab some stuff, and run screaming back, making it with one barely alive. :laugh:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Cross-posting this with the GOG thread.

I'm doing a story on the making of Planescape Torment for Retro Gamer magazine. I'm interviewing a number of the leads on the project, and given this awesome opportunity, I'm extending an offer out there to the goons to suggest some questions I should ask the crew.

Anyone?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BadAstronaut posted:

Cross-posting this with the GOG thread.

I'm doing a story on the making of Planescape Torment for Retro Gamer magazine. I'm interviewing a number of the leads on the project, and given this awesome opportunity, I'm extending an offer out there to the goons to suggest some questions I should ask the crew.

Anyone?

- If you could do the game over with today's modern tech, would you change anything? Do you think it would do better, sales-wise?
- What were some of the challenges with working with the Infinity Engine in such a story-driven game?
- Why did you decide to set the story centered in the city of Sigil, and do you think the setting should be explored more?
- Was there anything that you wish you could've added that you didn't have the time or funds for?
- Why do you think the game didn't succeed as well as it could've?
- What was your favourite line of dialogue or quote from the game?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
So I've started playing Exit Fate, and I have a question before I move on with the plot:

This dog has a portrait

Does this mean I can recruit it

Because I'd really like to

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

So I've started playing Exit Fate, and I have a question before I move on with the plot:

This dog has a portrait

Does this mean I can recruit it

Because I'd really like to

Yes. You need to recruit Johnny (who's at the port in the north of the Scotland analogue place) by winning 5000 in blackjack, then coming back and talking to the dog. The dog, unfortunately, isn't that worthwhile as a party member.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Vermain posted:

Yes. You need to recruit Johnny (who's at the port in the north of the Scotland analogue place) by winning 5000 in blackjack, then coming back and talking to the dog. The dog, unfortunately, isn't that worthwhile as a party member.

I don't even care. I have now decided to play Exit Fate when before I had no intention to. :haw:

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 380 days!

Jesus Christ, Nintendo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

tenderjerk posted:

Jesus Christ, Nintendo.

What 3 games?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

dis astranagant posted:

What 3 games?

Probably the Mother series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but that update in particular was referring to Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower. There was/is a drive to get them localized on twitter and blogs called Operation Rain Fall. Monado (Xenoblade's original title) was #1 on Amazon's pre-orders for a day for example.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

tenderjerk posted:

Jesus Christ, Nintendo.

If it weren't for No More Heroes 1+2 and being able to support Goichi Suda's crazy rear end ways I would regret owning a Wii.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

tenderjerk posted:

Jesus Christ, Nintendo.

Guess it's time to import.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

What 3 games?

Xenoblade, Last Story, and something else.

(Just joking don't worry.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What's the deal with the "something else" anyway? Looks second party but the reviews seem pretty mixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Xenoblade, Last Story, and something else.

(Just joking don't worry.)

Joking? It really does mean Xenoblade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

Is there really any reason for america not getting Xenoblade if it's already localized anyway?