Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Excuse my not knowing much about Pokemon, but when he kills that entire team of legendary Pokemon, are they completely dead and the defeated guy has to go out and catch them again, or have they just lost that battle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Semprini posted:

Excuse my not knowing much about Pokemon, but when he kills that entire team of legendary Pokemon, are they completely dead and the defeated guy has to go out and catch them again, or have they just lost that battle?
I don't know much more than you, but no. I think it's just that he's beaten a team of legendaries with what is possibly the shittiest pokemon in the game.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

That seems like less greifing and more mindgames and tactics

It's pretty much that. It's only griefing if the other party thinks their team of legendaries are unbeatable. For people who just never delve into the strategies and depths of the game, it can be a huge shock when your team of ___Gods get killed by a Magikarp.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Semprini posted:

Pokémon never die in battle, they faint. You can just go to a Pokemon Center and have them fully recover.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Don't charmander die if their tail gets extinguished?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
But that never happens even in the background so whatever.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
With practically any other pokemon, that strategy would simply be an excellent tactic. From what little I know of the competitive pokemon scene, Baton Pass builds are one of the widely-accepted means of buffing already-optimized pokemon that you've spent literal weeks fighting ONLY specific enemies with.

So it's griefing, but the guy spent around fifty tries until he got that sweep, and spent weeks on his digital murderbeasts to do it.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

That seems like less greifing and more mindgames and tactics
It's close enough to griefing to me when similar trickery in the newest edition will make people purposely disconnect in random wifi matches. You know that total stranger has no counters to your unstoppable rape train when he suddenly loses connection.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Also it's a giant slap in the face considering magikarp is basically the worst pokemon you can use in battle.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Maybe you're just not using him right.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

You probably only needed the last two of those to make your point.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
Am I the only one here who thinks this thread was awesome until it turned into the Pokemon Tactical Discussion Center for Goons?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

zygotesix posted:

Am I the only one here who thinks this thread was awesome until it turned into the Pokemon Tactical Discussion Center for Goons?

The thread was griefed again into taking pokemon seriously.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

zygotesix posted:

Before that it basically hadn't been posted in for months. So I'm not too torn up about it, even if I can't relate.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

zygotesix posted:

I don't mind the griefing stories about Pokemon (they're funny because people sperg over this game so you can imagine the sperging when you gently caress with someone).

I don't like the actual sperging about it in this thread though!

Anyway, that's my opinion on what's acceptable to post in a thread that nobody is bothering with anyway.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

zygotesix posted:

What's wrong with talking about Pokemon? When you kill an entire opponent's team using the weakest Pokemon in the game, it's funny. Then there are some strategies that are just downright assholish and are griefing in and of themselves, because it goes against the commonly accepted "standard" of play.

It's like thinking up new ways to be a completely dick in Starcraft. Only it's Pokemon.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

What's wrong with talking about Pokemon? When you kill an entire opponent's team using the weakest Pokemon in the game, it's funny. Then there are some strategies that are just downright assholish and are griefing in and of themselves, because it goes against the commonly accepted "standard" of play.

It's like thinking up new ways to be a completely dick in Starcraft. Only it's Pokemon.

BEcause Starcraft is a REAL game! :smug:

Gustavus
May 27, 2008

Lock up your sons and daughters.

zygotesix posted:

It's not any worse that all the "This one time in WoW, I PoF'ed this dude until he zinkoed. And then I split flined him until he DFG'ed. It was made all the better because he didn't even have a TPG to FME."

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Gustavus posted:

It's not any worse that all the "This one time in WoW, I PoF'ed this dude until he zinkoed. And then I split flined him until he DFG'ed. It was made all the better because he didn't even have a TPG to FME."
None of those are valid WoW terms except zinko

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
It is still a better derail than ones we have had in the past.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Quantify! posted:

Technical accuracy notwithstanding, I'm sure you got his point.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I once griefed a kid good back in the day.

The game was C&C Red Alert, now like most RTS the C&C franchise made most of their games so that a win condition was set upon having 0 buildings. Not Red Alert 2.

I once had a kid absolutely raging at me because I'd took an alliance stealth tank and hid it somewhere on the map, most people would have thought "gently caress this" and just quit but not this kid. The best bit I can remember about the whole thing was him saying his ride home had just left because he was taking too long.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

What's wrong with talking about Pokemon? When you kill an entire opponent's team using the weakest Pokemon in the game, it's funny.

It's pretty drat clever strategy, I have to admit that.
I think that this falls into same category as killing someone equipped with Redeemer using pistol in Unreal Tournament. Except they are different genres.

Whatever, ignore me!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

AceClown posted:

The game was C&C Red Alert, now like most RTS the C&C franchise made most of their games so that a win condition was set upon having 0 buildings. Not Red Alert 2.

I once had a kid absolutely raging at me because I'd took an alliance stealth tank and hid it somewhere on the map, most people would have thought "gently caress this" and just quit but not this kid. The best bit I can remember about the whole thing was him saying his ride home had just left because he was taking too long.

This strategy would go on to be the reason none of my friends will touch Eldar in WH40k: Dawn of War.

Eldar are big magic space douchebags of some sort. Someone on the development team has a deep, deep love of them, possibly someone on the balance team. Possibly the entire balance team.

One example of them being ridiculous is their tanks. They have one tank that can do anti-vehicle work, and it also makes any unit they hit take 75% more damage from anything else that attacks them. They also have another tank that pretty much stops anything in its tracks that's hit, so the combination can melt most targets.

Now, another thing about them is that certain buildings of theirs are stealthed. In Dawn of War, unless you're the Sisters of Battle, getting any sort of anti-stealth thing you can move around quickly's a pain and honestly not something anyone sane's going to do, and Sisters of Battle are gonna get crushed by Eldar anyway. So they have a building that's essentially a Nydus Canal from Starcraft, except it can build two units: the previously mentioned tanks. And it's invisible. And it's hiding more builder units, so if you don't find them all, you can't win. It's referred to as Hide the Webway Gate.

Also, did I mention their BUILDER UNIT can take shut down one of the other races? Like, the whole production line? Augh.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
My new trick on GMod RP servers is to ask someone to follow you promising some kind of business deal, lure them into a room with only one exit, and lock it shut. The PMs you recieve are absolutely hilarious and I have never been banned or even reprimanded for it yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People actually play Gmod RP servers? Any time I've ever tried I just end up murdered every time I spawn. Usually someone who is an admin or the police or something with too much power just kills anyone and if you kill them you get kicked or jailed or whatever.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Quantify! posted:

Haha you got the joke good work.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Bloody Good Time, basically the more action-oriented, ADHD-addled little brother to The Ship, didn't have a ton of room for griefing except for one mode: The Hunt. In it, you have to take down one player while another anonymous player is trying to get you, and you won't know who it is until they start attacking.

You see, in The Hunt, everyone has their name above their head in a blue box. While this box is blue, killing them penalizes you, and if it's red, killing them is fine. The box won't turn red unless they've already directly hurt you.

What I did was get a reasonably accurate ranged weapon (rifle, revolver, laser gun) and shoot at random people, just barely missing them to make it seem like they were my target. Without fail they'd end up shooting back at me, at which point they'd either A) kill me and get penalized (I've gotten someone banned from an official server this way :v:) or B) get killed by me since, as far as the game's concerned, they hit me first so I have every right to retaliate.

Several people got pretty uptight in the voice chat about it including a server admin, but I hadn't broken any rules so :smug:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Kind of wish Bloody Good Time still had servers that weren't completely empty. Last time I checked there were literally no populated games.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
On the topic of GMOD RP servers, I have extensive history griefing them. The trick is to join so-called "Serious" roleplaying servers. Not "DarkRP" but anything like: "Cakescript", "Kuroscript", etc. You can either be a huge poo poo head (hard to do at first because of many anti-shithead measures in place) or wait until they accept you to pull poo poo. Case in point, there was an rear end in a top hat on this server that no one liked. The admins liked me for whatever reason (all I really did was gently caress people over so they got killed, and when you get "PK"'d in these servers your character IS DEAD FOREVER) so I had free reign to do as I pleased. This involved talking to people who ran the police force and having him publicly executed, and then assassinating him during his "escape". I then player killed the rest of his characters. The rage and drama that followed was some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen in my entire life, and because it was "RP'd" and not just some random shooting for no reason, like it was all planned out and roleplayed within their rules, his characters remained dead forever.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
On the original Xbox was Conkers Live and reloaded, a remake of Conkers Bad fur day on the 64. This game was very unbalanced, but I still had alot of fun playing if they weren't being exploited. For those who don't know, it was a standard 3rd person class based objective team game. Each class had its own unique weapons and vehicles etc. Many of the class had really cheap weapons or tactics to exploit.

The pilot character was weak in all area's except one, he is the only one who can use the flying vehicles, with which he can ruin a match. His smaller armed VTOL having unlimited missiles in which he can rain down at his leisure, absorbing hits like like crazy. There was an option to set down anti-air missile auto-turrets, but they weren't very effective. His other plane was a bomber which could carry the entire team, but none of the maps were big enough to make it worth while. It was nearly indestructible, and could sometimes drop bombs directly on spawn points in some maps. Thankfully, most matches choose to block that character.

The assassin had the ability to disguise her self once upgraded, and she also had a access to a transportation device that was invisible to the enemy. So she could drop the exit by her flag post, and place the entrance at the enemies flag. This is one exploit i took advantage of, and it was really hard to defend against. you could watch your flag get stolen and watch them disappear before you have a chance to stop it.

The hit boxes around the vehicles were messed up, seeming twice the size of the vehicles themselves, with clean ATV misses killing you.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 1, 2011

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
This one is pretty funny.

Metal gear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOR3snVKW0E

Super Incredible
Aug 20, 2010

big duck equals goose posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOR3snVKW0E

I'm hoping that it's staged, if not that first guy is really goddamn nerdy.

Also, I found it amusing when he backstabed the scout on hydro and then backed up into the sentry gun's range, rather than hiding behind the dispenser, disguising, then sapping both.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
So maybe people in this thread are too cool for text games but I dunno, logs from HellMOO were received well earlier. So now we all play Hell: After the End (aftertheend.org) and people are still just as ragey as ever.

SA player Tannhauser killed a guy. Guy wanted to complain to him about this injustice. Tannhauser just replied every few minutes with the same phrase:

"da haus always wins B)"

results:

http://pastebin.com/mYKPxw9R

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

asylum years posted:

So maybe people in this thread are too cool for text games but I dunno, logs from HellMOO were received well earlier. So now we all play Hell: After the End (aftertheend.org) and people are still just as ragey as ever.

SA player Tannhauser killed a guy. Guy wanted to complain to him about this injustice. Tannhauser just replied every few minutes with the same phrase:

"da haus always wins B)"

results:

http://pastebin.com/mYKPxw9R

Not only did this make me want to play Hell (hopefully someone can help me not suck at these games so much), I'm fairly certain I know this guy IRL. It isn't his exact handle, but its very similar, he always does the *nods* poo poo, and he has the EXACT pathetic lifestyle he was attributing to the Goon. He is also really into MUDs.

So, I'm gonna see if he plays Hell. :)

Erak_Erakson
Mar 11, 2011
A couple months after Wrath of the Lich King was released, somebody discovered a glitch with Death Grip that would send the target flying away from you if you were on the Booty Bay boat when you used it. Instead of being pulled to you, they'd fly through and below the game-world terrain all the way to Alterac Mountains, which was a ~5 minute flight, and stop on a boat that was sitting under the terrain. If they jumped off they would fall to their deaths and (I think) be unable to recover their corpse, which meant they had to take the extra durability damage and resurrection sickness from the spirit healer.

I spent 3-4 hours sending people off, and by the time a GM told me to knock it off there were probably 5 or 6 other Death Knight alts from either faction that were doing it to each other and anything else that came in range. There's probably videos of it on YouTube.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Eonwe posted:

Not only did this make me want to play Hell (hopefully someone can help me not suck at these games so much)

Here's a thread that started right after we moved to Hell:After The End, full of the kind of boring gay drama you'd expect from a bunch of people with the free time to play a MOO, but it has some decent info in there also.

Eonwe posted:

I'm fairly certain I know this guy IRL. It isn't his exact handle, but its very similar, he always does the *nods* poo poo, and he has the EXACT pathetic lifestyle he was attributing to the Goon. He is also really into MUDs.

You'd make me a very happy man if it turns out to be this guy and you make a point of replying to any complaint he makes about anything with "the house always wins".

To put the level of rage in context for people: H:ATE is a game that expects you to die. A lot. Like, all the time. There's a ton of journals and achievements that straight up require you to die in a stupid fashion(for example, Cowcatcher: get hit by a train). A tiny baby like seebach pays a pittance to reclone, something in the area of sixty seconds of effort to cover the cost. He spent about half an hour paging Tannhauser and crying in one of the public bars because of this, then silently logged off after that pastebin was posted to the ingame *comedy mailing list. I'm not even sure if he ever came back.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

AceClown posted:

Best grief I've heard in a while. Did you do a "Youre getting warmer! Warmer! RED HOT YOU ALMOST GOT HIM" routine (except, obviously, when he was nowhere near the tank)?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Erak_Erakson posted:

I spent 3-4 hours sending people off, and by the time a GM told me to knock it off there were probably 5 or 6 other Death Knight alts from either faction that were doing it to each other and anything else that came in range. There's probably videos of it on YouTube.

Yep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkitz59M5xs

My account is no longer active, but as far as I know I have a level 60 DK on a server somewhere still parked under Alterac.

Another fun WoW glitch that showed up sometime around when ICC was opening up: There was a quest in Icecrown where you'd end up getting a "pet" abomination that you could order around. One of the commands that you could issue it was to explode itself knocking back all enemies in range a pretty ridiculous distance. This also impacted other players in range regardless of faction causing them to go flying pretty far, even taking damage when getting blasted across flat terrain. Normally the abomination pet would despawn once you left the particular area it was meant to be used in unless you used a hearthstone or similar effect. Hearthstones return the player back to a pre-selected location and when used with one of these abomination pets in tow it would fail to despawn and would appear at the target hearth location with the player.

At the time the city of Dalaran was the main hub of all player activity. The city itself sits far, far above the zone it occupies with a main landing area that players land and take off from and generally congregate within.

You can probably see where this is going.

Get abomination pet, hearth back to Dalaran, run out to the landing where dozens of of players are just sitting around, position the abomination appropriately, then KABOOM. If positioned right unlucky players would be blasted over the exterior landing wall and fall several thousand meters to their deaths. I was using a shaman with inscription so I got to make 3 kamikaze runs every half hour when I got bored. Once people started running at the sight of the incoming abomination (they're quite large as seen in the video) I started using baby spice items to shrink them so they'd be less easy to notice waddling into the crowd.

I never got nasty tells or anything, probably because I was blowing away AFKers. The most acknowledgement I got was from someone standing nearby when I blasted 4+ people off the landing at once and that was a high five, not outrage.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

Eonwe posted:

Not only did this make me want to play Hell (hopefully someone can help me not suck at these games so much), I'm fairly certain I know this guy IRL. It isn't his exact handle, but its very similar, he always does the *nods* poo poo, and he has the EXACT pathetic lifestyle he was attributing to the Goon. He is also really into MUDs.

Honestly there are tons of dudes exactly like seebach playing, so it's hard to tell, though it would be excellent if you did know him. This sort of thing happens all the time and there are hundreds of excellent logs floating around.

Join JERX if you roll a character and someone will, indeed, help you not suck.

• Locked thread