Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

I've been working on a bmp creator. The plan is to use this to output images for a ray tracer I'm going to start when this is done. It's done entirely in C using standard libraries. A good exercise. Now to fix problems with alignment buffers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
If you haven't done it yet, go ahead and write a program that changes the color of one random pixel to a random color in an infinite loop. :catdrugs:

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

poemdexter posted:

If you haven't done it yet, go ahead and write a program that changes the color of one random pixel to a random color in an infinite loop. :catdrugs:

Waaay ahead of you buddy. Pretty much what already happens. It's now adding the 4 byte alignment and in the process I worked out my find buffered width function was completely wrong and worked only through magic and witchcraft :S. Last thing is actually checking that everything is malloced correctly, and correctly falling out if it is not. I expect this to double my code :argh:

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Dolex posted:

I'm using genetic algorithms with fractals.

Tell me more :allears:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I'm slowly figuring out this whole 'game engines in Forth' deal.

gwar3k1: Thanks for the interest! I don't have a blog, but I do intend to put together a postmortem/tutorial once I finish a nontrivial game in Mako. For the time being you can always follow my Github for the project- I try to make my commit messages informative. If there's anything in particular that you're curious about I'd be more than happy to answer your questions here or in a PM.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Antinumeric posted:

I've been working on a bmp creator. The plan is to use this to output images for a ray tracer I'm going to start when this is done. It's done entirely in C using standard libraries. A good exercise. Now to fix problems with alignment buffers.

I'm crossing my eyes and nothing's happening :colbert:

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

At the end of last year, I posted in this thread about a C++ library I was working on that emulated the postponed C++0x concepts features. Back in May of this year, I gave a talk on this library at BoostCon and that talk is now online. This was my first time presenting for an hour and a half straight, so I was a bit nervous in the first few minutes, but it picks up.

Anyway, you can watch the talk here and the slides are here.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

That Turkey Story posted:

At the end of last year, I posted in this thread about a C++ library I was working on that emulated the postponed C++0x concepts features. Back in May of this year, I gave a talk on this library at BoostCon and that talk is now online. This was my first time presenting for an hour and a half straight, so I was a bit nervous in the first few minutes, but it picks up.

I can't watch tonight because I'm goin hiking with a friend tomorrow and she wants to be on the road by five in the loving morning but: I'm looking forward to seeing how your project turned out, and I hope you appear in a star trek uniform like you did in that other video

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I can't watch tonight because I'm goin hiking with a friend tomorrow and she wants to be on the road by five in the loving morning but: I'm looking forward to seeing how your project turned out, and I hope you appear in a star trek uniform like you did in that other video

I did, and I whisper catchphrases into the microphone every once in a while if you listen carefully. There's also a single frame of goatse in each slide transition.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Sweet, I was actually wondering about this the other day.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

All of the questions at the end got cut off, which is unfortunate. IIRC, I went into some of how the preprocessing works behind the scenes.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

That Turkey Story posted:

This is pretty awesome (both the project and the talk once you relaxed).

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

This is pretty awesome (both the project and the talk once you relaxed).

Thanks. Concepts own. :banjo:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
http://llvm.org/viewvc/llvm-project?view=rev&revision=133103

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Just realized I can do per-pixel effects pretty easily in Mako even though I didn't originally intend it. Here are some bitwise operations mashed together and animated:

(source)

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 16, 2011

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

I love you.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I'm working on a planetarium project and just worked out how to translate right-ascension and declination into Cartesian space.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Woodsy Owl posted:

I'm working on a planetarium project and just worked out how to translate right-ascension and declination into Cartesian space.

Many Bothans died to bring us this information.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

I code stupid poo poo when I am burned out, so I give you WubClock the alarm clock that plays dubstep.fm (or really whatever pls file you give it).

edit: updated image.

clockwork automaton fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 22, 2011

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I'm working on a little system for visualizing arbitrary data structures:

It can crack apart an arbitrary tree of maps, collections, arrays and leaves as anything with a toString() method- so basically JSON. Thoughts?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That's pretty neat. If you want to completely munge it up I suggest throwing some of the old arbitrarily defined white space delimited formats at it, e.g. EDI. I made a similar app about a year ago but it's trapped in .NET 2.0/WinForms and I'm too lazy to update.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Currently working on a little program I call poo poo - the Simple Human Instance Tracker (Get poo poo Donetm). I have borderline OCD when it comes to tasks, getting stuff done, and tracking it, so I decided I'd make a small desktop app to track metrics without the standard things you find in these kind of tools (namely, it's not a bug tracking tool, but rather something geared toward manager reviews). I figure all of this work will pay off when I have my yearly review and I can submit a cool list of what I've done for the year with graphs and stuff.

(To be honest, I think it's more about the fact that I can be lazier at year-end.)

Here, have some screenshots:

It has been a fun project for me because I'm mostly a web guy and I get to play with winforms. The program was originally named poo poo because I started it in Ruby with Shoes, but the table rendering I came up with was so lovely I just decided to start over and went to C#. The database is compactSQL and all the configuration options are stored in an XML file.

I just got the database location stuff implemented so I'm toying around with the idea of using multiple clients on a central, network db in future versions.

Since this is a side project (and how I 'relax') I'm usually working on it at night while drinking homebrew. I haven't really researched the effectiveness of programming while drunk and listening to music, but I imagine it's some sort of bell-curve.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

benitocereno posted:

I haven't really researched the effectiveness of programming while drunk and listening to music, but I imagine it's some sort of bell-curve.

http://xkcd.com/323/

How come winforms over WPF?

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

fletcher posted:

http://xkcd.com/323/

How come winforms over WPF?

I'm putting that on my wall next week. :)

No reason in particular really on the WPF note. My understanding is that WPF is great for things that are going to be a bit more graphically intensive and for templating apps, but since the controls are cross-compatible and I don't need to template I didn't really give it that much thought. I'm on VS2008, so maybe it didn't suggest WPF as strongly to me as VS2010 when I popped it open out of frustration. I've also read that WPF will probably be excellent in about 5 years, but for now winforms are still much more mature and offer more "bang for the buck." Am I misguided about this? I'm definitely open to new things if it has other cool features.

All that said, now that I'm this far along I'll finish this out in winforms and maybe try WPF next. I've already restarted once from Shoes, no way am I going to do it again :suicide:

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
I am an admin for a Star Wars MUSH with a heavily modified WEG d6 system. At the moment our character sheet code is very resource heavy in softcode (PennMUSH) for which we've just been hacking work arounds to get working without crashing the MUSH (hosting limits). So I've decided to port that softcode to hardcode (C) to reduce memory consumption by getting rid of all the softcode parsing necessary to run the commands.

Don't really have screenshots, but I figure I'd share.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

benitocereno posted:

I'm putting that on my wall next week. :)

No reason in particular really on the WPF note. My understanding is that WPF is great for things that are going to be a bit more graphically intensive and for templating apps, but since the controls are cross-compatible and I don't need to template I didn't really give it that much thought. I'm on VS2008, so maybe it didn't suggest WPF as strongly to me as VS2010 when I popped it open out of frustration. I've also read that WPF will probably be excellent in about 5 years, but for now winforms are still much more mature and offer more "bang for the buck." Am I misguided about this? I'm definitely open to new things if it has other cool features.

All that said, now that I'm this far along I'll finish this out in winforms and maybe try WPF next. I've already restarted once from Shoes, no way am I going to do it again :suicide:

Stay with WinForms so you don't hang yourself.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I've been teaching myself the Sencha Touch mobile app framework. Here are some screen shots from a little app I made featuring the local college football team:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Got sick of looking at the same forums stylesheet for the past five or so years, so decided to experiment. Took the header and gutter from the frontpage and tried to clean up the place. It's currently implemented as a Chrome extension.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Anal Volcano posted:

Got sick of looking at the same forums stylesheet for the past five or so years, so decided to experiment. Took the header and gutter from the frontpage and tried to clean up the place. It's currently implemented as a Chrome extension.

that's extremely clean looking. I like it.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Anal Volcano posted:

Nice, I'd like to try it out when you get it in a place to send it to other people :)

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
This (http://terrariviewer.codeplex.com) is a character/inventory editor for the game Terraria.

It's actually turned out to be pretty popular and ended up getting included in a PC Gamer article. Since this is my first project of any kind, I'd call that a personal success.

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 29, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Anal Volcano posted:

You should show this to the Questions/Suggestions thread and see what they'll think about replacing what they have now with this. Seriously looks great. I guess you could also use the room on the logo strip for the current forum stats and maybe a place for the other links and list of mods/admins.

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!

Anal Volcano posted:

This looks fantastic. The current layout's kind of busy, and this simplifies it greatly. How does it look on smaller screens like tablets and smartphones?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Anal Volcano posted:

Got sick of looking at the same forums stylesheet for the past five or so years, so decided to experiment.

Please throw this up on github or something so we can play with it! Looks fantastic and I'm sure people would be more than happy to port it to other browsers and continue to improve the design.

This seems to be a fairly low-traffic thread so if you just shared it here you could probably improve it mightily before sharing your work with higher-traffic threads or the forums at large.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. I'll get a release/GitHub up in the next couple days - a few pages need special treatment (search, user control panel), but once that's done I'll package it up as a Chrome extension. It shouldn't be too hard to adapt to a userscript for Firefox. I'd also like to try styling the navigation under the header in the same way as the top menu bar on the front page.

NOG posted:

You should show this to the Questions/Suggestions thread and see what they'll think about replacing what they have now with this. Seriously looks great. I guess you could also use the room on the logo strip for the current forum stats and maybe a place for the other links and list of mods/admins.

I'll ask around, I guess, but I'm not really optimistic. I'm fairly sure there's some internal design work being done on the forums (Lowtax seems to indicate so, at least, unless he was calling me retarded for other reasons). I did manage to get 219.css added to YOSPOS, but efforts to get an updated version in there have been in vain so far.

Good ideas about how to use the logo area, by the way.

Ari posted:

This looks fantastic. The current layout's kind of busy, and this simplifies it greatly. How does it look on smaller screens like tablets and smartphones?

Because I've just been doing it as a Chrome extension and a personal project, I haven't been concerned with a tablet/phone version - it's actually fixed-width and non-responsive right now. I've thought about doing a mobile stylesheet/template for SA, but I have my doubts that it would be implemented. Suppose it would be good practice either way.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Anal Volcano posted:

I'll ask around, I guess, but I'm not really optimistic. I'm fairly sure there's some internal design work being done on the forums (Lowtax seems to indicate so, at least, unless he was calling me retarded for other reasons). I did manage to get 219.css added to YOSPOS, but efforts to get an updated version in there have been in vain so far.

Good ideas about how to use the logo area, by the way.

I think it was because you mentioned search, since the UI is being worked on apparently. Keep on improving it a bit to include most of the features it had before, and you'll have yourself something that everyone can agree is undeniably better than what we have now.

edit: For the page features, I'm not all for having redundant links for the store like it is now for us. So the way you have your design now with just the Buy Forum Stuff link is great.

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 30, 2011

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

So here's a bit more experimenting. Moved page nav to the blue bar on the thread list and in each thread:

I'm not really sure what to do about the positioning of the thread rating buttons and I know the header on the thread list looks kinda ugly with the second blue bar on top of it. I'll try to find things to do with them. Also, notice the moved Archives bar in the last picture. Definitely better than the random box on top of the forum, IMO.

(by the way, I don't really want to clutter this thread too much with discussion of this, so I'll make a new thread somewhere whenever the first semi-finished version is out. Just wanted to get some feedback before then :))

Clavius
Oct 21, 2007

Howdy!

Link to the Past engine in HTML Canvas. Hooray!

It's pretty beastly. Currently has proper collisions, diagonal tiles, speed changes, dashing, water, ice, bridges you can walk under or over, a z-index for tiles so things are on different 'floors', jumping from ledges, ladders and a whole bunch of neat little touches. I'm currently working on getting objects like rocks and signs and chests working.

I haven't put in any landscape graphics just yet, what's there is a kind of debug drawing mode that shows the behaviour of each tile. Walkable is grey (or blue for water), non-walkable is yellow, bridges are green, things higher on the z-index are lighter.

Version 0.25 in progress

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clavius posted:

Link to the Past engine in HTML Canvas. Hooray!

It's pretty beastly. Currently has proper collisions, diagonal tiles, speed changes, dashing, water, ice, bridges you can walk under or over, a z-index for tiles so things are on different 'floors', jumping from ledges, ladders and a whole bunch of neat little touches. I'm currently working on getting objects like rocks and signs and chests working.

I haven't put in any landscape graphics just yet, what's there is a kind of debug drawing mode that shows the behaviour of each tile. Walkable is grey (or blue for water), non-walkable is yellow, bridges are green, things higher on the z-index are lighter.

Version 0.25 in progress

That's fantastic!
I've been trying to get into engines like this since I started programming, but there really aren't any good tutorials or resources (that I've found, anyway). If you ever feel like writing a tutorial or releasing the source, I would be forever in your debt :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Your Computer posted:

That's fantastic!
I've been trying to get into engines like this since I started programming, but there really aren't any good tutorials or resources (that I've found, anyway). If you ever feel like writing a tutorial or releasing the source, I would be forever in your debt :swoon:

Just play with something like PyGame to make a simple game and then slowly pull the PyGame pieces out and replace it with home-made implementations and boom, you have an engine that you wrote.