Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dr Dskie posted:

Any chance we will be seeing the Droid Bionic released on Verizon before July 7th?

Zero chance.

It probably won't be out till mid to late Aug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Does the corporate discount going away aspect also apply to the hotspot data plans? I am currently getting 22% off my 5GB hotspot plan and I will be pretty sore if they take it off.

So I got a letter from Verizon in the mail yesterday, that apparently I was getting the corporate discount on my hotspot plan by mistake from day 1, and they'll be taking it off in the next billing cycle or two. They made sure to note "rest assured we will not retroactively bill you for our mistake."

Doh.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Thanks, everyone who replied to me about smartphones. I think I'm gonna pick up a Droid Incredible 2 and a cradle to charge it every night.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Welp, my wife and I bought two Droid Charges from Costco today. $400 OTD, much cheaper than paying over $600 at Verizon.

So far, we like them. Wife is an iPhone junky and I am worried she will grow frustrated with Android. Then again, she isn't a power user at all...she typically uses like 4 apps and that's it.

I use everything possible, all the time. This is why LTE and VZW's superior network (unlimited) were of interest to me. I do have a question, however...I listen to SiriusXM on my Moto Atrix daily. Unfortunately, it does not appear in a marketplace search on the Charge. Neither does Netflix (but we knew that already). Is there a particular reason this phone is restricted from seeing/downloading the Sirius app from the marketplace?

If it's restricted and I have to sideload, etc, this app (as well as others) just to use the phone that may be a deal-breaker. Also, all the Verizon crap and TouchWiz are not sitting well with me so far. I don't mind Motoblur and actually kind of miss it.

But alas, 4g is fast. And it works in our house ~70% of the time. It does fall back on 3g quite often.

We have 13 days left to make our decision. It didn't help that our bill is going from $115 to $150. I guess the network is worth it? We'll see as I will be in rural Eastern Washington state this week with both the Atrix and Charge powered up...

Edit: somehow the Sirius app just showed up.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 27, 2011

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I've been following this thread for a while now. I really want a smartphone. However, with the new data plans coming soon, I'm really paranoid that verizon will decide that they want to take away my unlimited plan and replace it. Plus, I don't think any verizon smart phones are really worth paying that much for, from what I understand most every other carrier has better phones, and I can't afford to get off a family plan and start my own individual line.

Anyway, I can upgrade now and I think I want to replace my env2 as it's getting a bit old. My question is if it's a good idea to get a certified used phone? I know there has been some discussion about this, and I was wondering if anyone has as specific experience with the lg octane or en3, new or used. At this point, from the reviews and such that I've read, it would seem a better choice to get a used env3 than a new octane. But my understanding is that these phones were most likely returned because they had issues, I don't want a phone that makes me go to the verizon store and argue with the people there every month or whatever. I just really wish that verizon had some not lovely feature phones :smith:

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I can't afford to get off a family plan and start my own individual line.
You do not need to switch to an individual plan to get a smartphone, it would be 30 a month on top of what you have now. I have 3 smartphones on my family plan, I pay 90 bucks a month for 15 gigabytes of internet.

I cannot argue with you about the selection of phones, though. The only phone I want (that is available now or in the foreseeable/leaked/rumored future) is GSM only ... but ma bell would have to pay me for me to even think about using their horrible service.

edit: I miss the VIP deal they had going ... think I can get at least 1 of my 2 $35 activation charges from this past week reversed if I get someone awesome on the phone? I expect to have a heart attack when my next bill comes in, it will likely be ~400 bucks.

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 27, 2011

KaneOfNod
Nov 15, 2000
Stranger in a Strange Land
Yet more data plan questions!

I'm largely jumping on the smartphone bandwagon for work e-mail on the go, since I've been both traveling and doing city commuting lately. I've just ordered a Droid Charge as my first smartphone (and also one for my wife), since I'm in an LTE area. My ideal phone would have been a keyboard phone with LTE; for example, something with the Droid 3's form factor.

1. Is the corporate data plan required for Exchange/Good for Enterprise e-mail use on an Android phone? I've ordered with this for now. Would it work with the personal plan?
  2. Will switching between the corporate data plan and the personal data plan after 7/7 result in winding up on the new tiered plans?

I expect my firm to reimburse me for data, but the policy is complicated enough that I'm not 100% positive. I'd hate to wind up without unlimited use because I dropped from corporate to personal after the fact. Thanks if anybody can clarify these two!

Also, I had a $50 loyalty credit (new every 2 holdover - I've been using a W385 since 2007) credit on my account. The going price for the Droid Charge seems to be $249.99 on Verizon's site. I bought two of these phones on the same bill online; mine rang up as $299.99 - $50 credit = $249.99. My wife's rang up as $249.99 right off the bat, no credit applied. Looks like I'm getting screwed out of my credit (not sure if this was intentional or an item setup goof) - any recommendations on the best way to get this back? I will be calling the big V about this once I get everything activated.

KaneOfNod fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 27, 2011

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
1 - No*
2 - Yes

*Unless your company runs a Good server, I think - in which case, you have larger problems, namely that you're using Good.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I know that we all pretty much got the idea that you can upgrade from 3G to 4G and keep unlimited data after the switch, but it looks like VZWSupport on twitter validated it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/27/verizon-support-3g-customers-upgrading-to-4g-after-july-7-can-keep-unlimited-data/#more-38235

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Acrolos posted:

I know that we all pretty much got the idea that you can upgrade from 3G to 4G and keep unlimited data after the switch, but it looks like VZWSupport on twitter validated it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/27/verizon-support-3g-customers-upgrading-to-4g-after-july-7-can-keep-unlimited-data/#more-38235

More confirmation here as well:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...tml#post1601493

quote:

More info was posted in our intranet as of 6/25:

Existing lines of service that have the smartphone data plan of $29.99 are grandfathered in on or after July 7th, even if they are going from a 3G smartphone to a 4G smartphone (great news IMO).

The new data plans are for new lines of service (which includes an existing account adding an additional line{s}) activated on or after July 7th, or existing lines that are activating a smartphone on a line that has a feature phone on it (the $29.99 data for non-smartphones is not grandfathered to the unlimited smartphone feature), whether via upgrade or customer provided equipment.

Of course things can change by July 7th, however this is the most recent info gleaned from the VZW intranet, less than 2 hours ago. TBV

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Is there a nice list somewhere of what places are getting 4G and when (at least, the dates we know of)? The 4G phone selection is pretty small and homogenous but I ended up going with the Thunderbolt anyway after I found out that the place we are moving to, Portland, is getting 4G in July.

It's OK though because it's a sweet-rear end phone.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

For those of you that have 4G in your area, how far away can you get and still retain coverage?

Greensboro, NC is getting it in July, and that will be great for me because I work there. I actually live about 30 miles south of the town though. Will I have coverage at home as well?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Is there a nice list somewhere of what places are getting 4G and when (at least, the dates we know of)? The 4G phone selection is pretty small and homogenous but I ended up going with the Thunderbolt anyway after I found out that the place we are moving to, Portland, is getting 4G in July.

It's OK though because it's a sweet-rear end phone.

I'd like to know this as well. I've decided to go with the Thunderbolt solely because I'd want a 4g phone if my area got 4g before my next upgrade.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Acrolos posted:

For those of you that have 4G in your area, how far away can you get and still retain coverage?

Greensboro, NC is getting it in July, and that will be great for me because I work there. I actually live about 30 miles south of the town though. Will I have coverage at home as well?

The 4G rollout is kinda location-dependent, but the short answer is "Probably not" if you're in Asheboro. Verizon just rolled out 4G in a few Michigan areas, though they usually only extend about 10 miles outside of the city limits (mostly along highways and primary roads). The furthest "Extended 4G Coverage" zone is usually about ~20 miles away here. But it all depends on which towers Verizon chooses to upgrade and the topography of where you live.

I'm not quite sure what "Extended 4G Coverage" is supposed to mean, perhaps that if conditions are perfect and you're standing on a roof with a clear line of site to a distant tower that you can get LTE connection, maybe?

As I've said before, I'm quite content with my choice of the Thunderbolt, it's not perfect by any means but it's better than any other phone I've used so far even with its "quirks". The UI differences are basically just a personal choice, but I don't have many complaints about Sense. Just get an external battery pack for $40-50 and you don't have to worry about battery life -- it's a good thing to have anyway, in case of power outages and long vacations where you might not be able to leave your phone plugged into a power outlet for an hour or three.

For example, I used my phone pretty heavily to record & upload some video during a U2 concert yesterday (with 70,000 in attendance) and mostly I was surprised that I could just get a Verizon cellular signal, let alone upload at nice speeds to facebook and send/receive some texts immediately. Used GPS navigation, the camera flash LED as a flashlight, streamed music, all pretty heavily all day long -- got down to 20% battery life at one point, then plugged my phone into the battery pack in my pocket and just kept cruising along.

Usually when I go to college football games I just forget about being able to use my phone within a 2-mile radius of the stadium because the networks are so clogged that they're unusable -- my Sprint and AT&T experiences.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon's coverage map on their site has pretty fine grained info about network coverage.

As far as Verizon being able to handle load in general, I was able to get a mostly good signal standing in the middle of The Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear in DC last fall. 215,000 people in one place and the network still worked.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 27, 2011

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Endor posted:

The 4G rollout is kinda location-dependent, but the short answer is "Probably not" if you're in Asheboro. Verizon just rolled out 4G in a few Michigan areas, though they usually only extend about 10 miles outside of the city limits (mostly along highways and primary roads). The furthest "Extended 4G Coverage" zone is usually about ~20 miles away here. But it all depends on which towers Verizon chooses to upgrade and the topography of where you live.

Thanks. I am actually a little north of Asheboro (Randleman), so I am probably right on the border of the 20 mile range...and spend a lot of time in the 30 mile range.

I guess I can always disable 4g when I'm at home if I need to save battery life. Probably 80% of my heavy usage comes in Greensboro anyway, as that's where I stream music, etc.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Acrolos posted:

I'm west of Winston-Salem about 20 minutes, do you know if the Greensboro coverage will be expanding to Winston as well? My girlfriend lives in GSO so I guess I could utilize the 4g on the weekends if WS won't get it soon.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

nickhimself posted:

I'm west of Winston-Salem about 20 minutes, do you know if the Greensboro coverage will be expanding to Winston as well? My girlfriend lives in GSO so I guess I could utilize the 4g on the weekends if WS won't get it soon.

It looks like it's hitting Winston-Salem as well, along with High Point and Raleigh. I think Wilmington and Lumberton (for some reason) already received it. So at least we have some coverage scattered around NC.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21/verizon-announces-new-4g-lte-markets-for-july-21/

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Acrolos posted:

It looks like it's hitting Winston-Salem as well, along with High Point and Raleigh. I think Wilmington and Lumberton (for some reason) already received it. So at least we have some coverage scattered around NC.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21/verizon-announces-new-4g-lte-markets-for-july-21/

oh cool, july 21st. the verizon rep told me mid june when I bought my t-bolt. I'm glad no one ever knows wtf over there.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I ditched my GSM iPhone for a CDMA iPhone this weekend, and I noticed that the tethering option just seems to work. I can turn it on, and it creates a 3G hotspot and works. But uh, I didn't agree to tethering on my plan and it's not listed as a feature when I check my account. I got the 450 minutes + unlimited txt + unlimited data.

edit: False alarm. It turns itself off after a few moments.

gregday fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 27, 2011

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I believe they're offering Mobile Hotspot for free for a limited time. I thought the promo only applied to 4G phones but maybe I'm wrong. It's normally $20/month, latest word is that it'll go back to being a paid service July 6th.

KaneOfNod
Nov 15, 2000

serewit posted:

1 - No*
2 - Yes

*Unless your company runs a Good server, I think - in which case, you have larger problems, namely that you're using Good.

Thanks. It's a large firm, so I'd think they're probably running the server, but I'm not certain. I'm under the impression that I can just turn corporate data on and off pretty easily, so I might experiment before 7/7 to see what works.

KaneOfNod fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 28, 2011

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

KaneOfNod posted:

Thanks. It's a very large professional services firm, so I'd think they're probably running the server, but I'm not certain. I'm under the impression that I can just turn corporate data on and off pretty easily, so I might experiment before 7/7 to see what works. (Given the line of work I'm in, I should probably get to know the finer details of how security is set up on these...)

Is it Exchange or something else? Exchange doesn't need the corporate plan.

KaneOfNod
Nov 15, 2000

serewit posted:

Is it Exchange or something else? Exchange doesn't need the corporate plan.

My understanding is that it would be accessing an Exchange server via Good for Enterprise.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Question for you guys: I currently have an enV Touch, which is not a smartphone but has some sort of browser as far as I know. Is it possible to get the unlimited data plan with this phone, so I can wait a month or two on my upgrade and get the Droid 3 or Bionic? Or is the plan for smartphones only?

edit: Reading elsewhere it looks like I need a smartphone after all...

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 28, 2011

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
Quick question, just to be sure about this...

My friend is currently on his family's plan with an OG Droid, but was planning to switch to his own account once the Droid 3 came out. If he starts a new plan before July 7th to be grandfathered in, can he put his current Droid on the account for the time being, and then still get the reduced price when the D3 comes out? He won't lose that upgrade for not using it when he first signs up, right?

Edit: nevermind, he bought a Thunderbolt via Amazon.

limekle fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 30, 2011

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

HondaCivet posted:

I believe they're offering Mobile Hotspot for free for a limited time. I thought the promo only applied to 4G phones but maybe I'm wrong. It's normally $20/month, latest word is that it'll go back to being a paid service July 6th.

Wait, where is this? I pull up my bill on Verizon's website and try to add this in there, but it shows 20 dollars a month.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

gregday posted:

I ditched my GSM iPhone for a CDMA iPhone this weekend, and I noticed that the tethering option just seems to work. I can turn it on, and it creates a 3G hotspot and works. But uh, I didn't agree to tethering on my plan and it's not listed as a feature when I check my account. I got the 450 minutes + unlimited txt + unlimited data.

edit: False alarm. It turns itself off after a few moments.

If it turns off after a few moments, it might be because your phone's wifi turns off when it goes to sleep (a lot of phones do this). You'll have to look into how to force it to stay on.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kirios posted:

Wait, where is this? I pull up my bill on Verizon's website and try to add this in there, but it shows 20 dollars a month.
Just go to the hotspot menu on your phone and use it. Don't try to add anything to your account.

Until July 6, it'll "just work" without you having the Mobile Hotspot feature on your account (assuming the free promo applies to your type of phone, anyway). After that you'll get an error message saying you need to add the feature.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

KaneOfNod posted:

My understanding is that it would be accessing an Exchange server via Good for Enterprise.

Ahh, okay. Corporate plan then.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know offhand what class the stock (2Gig) memory card is on the Droid X? I bought a class 4 (16Gig) PNY yesterday and it's not worth a poo poo. I formatted it on my laptop then copied over all the files from the stock card and it just causes my phone to freeze and crap out constantly.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Anyone know offhand what class the stock (2Gig) memory card is on the Droid X? I bought a class 4 (16Gig) PNY yesterday and it's not worth a poo poo. I formatted it on my laptop then copied over all the files from the stock card and it just causes my phone to freeze and crap out constantly.

I know the first memory cards to be included were standard SanDisk Class 2 16GB memory cards, but after the refresh to 2GB cards? I don't know, but it's doubtful they'd go with a higher class if 2 worked well.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

SpacedOut posted:

I know the first memory cards to be included were standard SanDisk Class 2 16GB memory cards, but after the refresh to 2GB cards? I don't know, but it's doubtful they'd go with a higher class if 2 worked well.

Thanks for the heads-up; I want to use something as close to stock as possible to rule out a hardware issue if things go tits-up on me again.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Three questions:

T-bolt owners, average usage, what's your battery life looking like right now? And are there any signs of software updates to help with this on the horizon?

Also, other than the Bionic (arrival TBD) what else is around the corner for 4G Android phones from Verizon?

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I need to get a cheap Android phone in the next two days. What is a good price to buy a Motorola Droid on Craigslist for? Is $100 reasonable?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Thanks for the heads-up; I want to use something as close to stock as possible to rule out a hardware issue if things go tits-up on me again.

Maybe try formatting it from the X itself? Maybe it prefers a fat32 cluster size that's different from Windows' default or some other weird particularity? Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 29, 2011

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Nawid posted:

I need to get a cheap Android phone in the next two days. What is a good price to buy a Motorola Droid on Craigslist for? Is $100 reasonable?

Check out Swappa! https://www.swappa.com

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
This might be a stupid question, but do the replacement phones due to hardware defects come from the extra insurance that is an option, or is that insurance just for if you do damage to the phone?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

ObsidianBeast posted:

This might be a stupid question, but do the replacement phones due to hardware defects come from the extra insurance that is an option, or is that insurance just for if you do damage to the phone?

Think of it like car insurance vs a car's warranty. :iiaca:

Insurance is for things that are not the manufacturer's or Verizon's fault (e.g. lost/stolen, cracked screen, dropped it into a toilet, etc.), has a deductible, and lasts as long as you pay the monthly premium. The 1 year warranty, however, covers things that are the manufacturer's or Verizon's fault (e.g. button stops clicking, earpiece goes out, charging port stops taking a charge, etc.) and is included with any new or certified pre-owned phone.

There's also an extended warranty available which is either $1.99 by itself, or $6.99 when bundled with insurance, which works just like the regular warranty (i.e. no deductible), and last as long as you pay for it.

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

SpacedOut posted:

Think of it like car insurance vs a car's warranty. :iiaca:

Insurance is for things that are not the manufacturer's or Verizon's fault (e.g. lost/stolen, cracked screen, dropped it into a toilet, etc.), has a deductible, and lasts as long as you pay the monthly premium. The 1 year warranty, however, covers things that are the manufacturer's or Verizon's fault (e.g. button stops clicking, earpiece goes out, charging port stops taking a charge, etc.) and is included with any new or certified pre-owned phone.

There's also an extended warranty available which is either $1.99 by itself, or $6.99 when bundled with insurance, which works just like the regular warranty (i.e. no deductible), and last as long as you pay for it.

Perfect, thanks for the explanation.

• Locked thread