Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

I think it was too long and that one guy needs to shut up

Reported for mod sass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

I have always heard Elgin pronounced with a hard g, as in girl, not ell-gin (like gin, the booze). Including from Michael Elgin, the dude whose name it is.

Actually, the dude whose name it is is Elgin Baylor.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The next one may not go an hour and a half but if we're approaching an hour and still have life in us we probably won't stop.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Honestly an hour and a half isn't that weird for wrestling podcasts anyway, although there will always be a segment of the podcast listening audience that likes podcasts to be exactly an hour, no longer or shorter.

Zaqtaro
Apr 12, 2011
Just listened to the Podcast with the rest of C&C, I got a name drop! :D

It sounded really good, and I'd love to get on and talk about NWA:MS. I about died when you all were talking about Styles, lol.

and yes, Jacque's story of how he got to be the ring announce of NWA:MS is as epic as you'd think.

Edit: You should feel bad for banning me Hulkamatt :D

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Finally sat down to listen to the podcast. Great stuff guys, the "free ax" slipped in at the end killed me.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Zaqtaro posted:

Edit: You should feel bad for banning me Hulkamatt :D

gently caress.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I finally got around to listening to the Batista interview, and man he sounds like such a humble, mellow guy. I always thought he was meant to be a dick but this interview really changed my impression of him. Strangely enough that's exactly the opposite of what happened when I read Jericho's book

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

We'll be doing another episode tonight. Thanks for all the support guys. Hopefully after a few episodes we'll be comfortable enough to have some of ya'll on.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

weekly font posted:

We'll be doing another episode tonight. Thanks for all the support guys. Hopefully after a few episodes we'll be comfortable enough to have some of ya'll on.

Are you doing another 5 man gangbang?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Are you doing another 5 man gangbang?

Fourgy.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
How'd the podcast go?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

How'd the podcast go?

Great! Then we realized weekly font hadn't recorded it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Great! Then we realized weekly font hadn't recorded it.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

That was actually a lie, he recorded one minute and thirty five seconds of it. I told him to post it but he has not. Hopefully it was my great ROH history lesson on why Nigel turning heel at 6th Anniversary was the right move given his opponent.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

lol

i can talk about stuff on a future one but not much

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Double C on this weeks AOW.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Double C on this weeks AOW.

Sweet I was wondering what Chris Chetti was up to these days.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

KungFu Grip posted:

Sort of. I have no idea what happened. I was watching the tracks be created as we talked and then I clicked stop at the end and nope. Just gone. Take 2 tomorrow.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really wanna hear about Nigel turning heel.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

"Have I ever mentioned they should just play this through all of Impact?"

Or even better than that.."GIRLS DON'T HAVE BALLS!"

Akileese fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 24, 2011

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That run about the low blow in the girls' match is pretty uncomfortable, because it makes Bryan sound dumber than usual. It's a 35 year old man using school playground logic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When Granny introduced her lotto scheme I thought it was going to make boring segments even more boring. I was wrong. It has made them a confusing mess and provided extra joy for me as a PITR poster. Trainwreck Radio. Coughlin, you were beaten to the concept!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRayPer posted:

When Granny introduced her lotto scheme I thought it was going to make boring segments even more boring. I was wrong. It has made them a confusing mess and provided extra joy for me as a PITR poster. Trainwreck Radio. Coughlin, you were beaten to the concept!

I've never skipped a granny segment until this one and it turns out to be awesome. I almost went back and listened to it after the rest of the show because of how confused B&V were in discussing it.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Wow, listening to Observer Radio really makes PWR sound like an amateur effort. Damien Nelson and David Hero are two of the least engaging/entertaining broadcasters around.

Both their content and delivery are mediocre, I should really get out of the habit of listening.

I think it's just Hero's self absorbed and obnoxiousness that really makes me want to stop listening, although he certainly excels at having the radio look.

It's also really uncomfortably whenever they get a collective nerd boner over Linda.

I wasn't a huge fan of 'Meathead' when he was non the show but he was really important for balancing out the show because he was the only host who didn't sound like a total wrestling shut in.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 25, 2011

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Sue Denim posted:

Wow, listening to Observer Radio really makes PWR sound like an amateur effort. Damien Nelson and David Hero are two of the least engaging/entertaining broadcasters around.

Both their content and delivery are mediocre, I should really get out of the habit of listening.

I think it's just Hero's self absorbed and obnoxiousness that really makes me want to stop listening, although he certainly excels at having the radio look.

It's also really uncomfortably whenever they get a collective nerd boner over Linda.

I wasn't a huge fan of 'Meathead' when he was non the show but he was really important for balancing out the show because he was the only host who didn't sound like a total wrestling shut in.

Yeah once I started listening to Wrestling Observer I stopped listening to PWR. I would say WO is NPR while PWR is more like typical local morning radio.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
That's probably a very apt comparison, PWR is for all intensive purposes just filler for the audience in their day as well as their producers air waves while Observer actually reports original information.

Edit: Just listening to the gooncast, I'm too lazy to go back and read who did what but whoever hosted the show did an extremely commendable first effort and if you don't do so all ready you should look into doing this kind of stuff more regularly, you use your voice very well in this kind of environment and you did a fantastic job of mediating the discussion.

MassRayPer, you're very well spoken too but of course that is no surprise.

I would like to hear you put a whole bunch of pitch shift and reverb and just a splash of delay and chorus on HulkaMatt's voice track to give him an aural aura more fitting his board presence.

All expectations exceeded, great job guys, keep it up. I'd be more than happy to listen to this instead of PWR from now on. To be honest I was expecting something much rougher and disjointed, at the start I thought a lack of a formal format would be annoying as an audience member but it really works well with the group dynamic the posters on the podcast have during discussions.

The only thing I would suggest you add is maybe two or three recurring weekly segments through out the show to break the format up and maybe eventually structuring how long you want discussions to last as an approximate before starting a show.

I certainly think after a couple of shows and the addition of more structure you guys could aim much higher than making your podcast exclusively for the forum if that was something you were interested in going beyond.

Edit 2: One of you sounds like (I'd imagine) Todd Martin after a six pack.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 25, 2011

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Observer Radio: Shooting down great ideas that will never happen since 2008 (TM)

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
First Observer Radio in a long time that I turned off early. The Brock talk was insufferable. Dave's clearly overworked right now and needs a nap.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

LordPants posted:

Observer Radio: Shooting down great ideas that will never happen since 2008 (TM)

..... I don't think he's going to superkick a moose

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

LordPants posted:

Much before that. I remember a clip from the old eYada show right before Judgment Day 2001 (I think) where a caller suggests that Benoit should lose the 2/3 falls match to Angle after E&C interference, then be Jericho's partner in the tag scramble and win that match, followed by winning the tag belts the next night.

Bryan and Dave pretty much laugh him off and say it's a great idea but will never happen.

The caller was not me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

poo poo like the Brock talk just convince me further that Dave has Aspergers

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
That's what finally convinced you?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Much before that. I remember a clip from the old eYada show right before Judgment Day 2001 (I think) where a caller suggests that Benoit should lose the 2/3 falls match to Angle after E&C interference, then be Jericho's partner in the tag scramble and win that match, followed by winning the tag belts the next night.

Bryan and Dave pretty much laugh him off and say it's a great idea but will never happen.

The caller was not me.

My example will always be the people fantasy booking angles for the Invasion when WWF bought WCW and Dave shooting down most of them since they were terrible

Then a few months later he was like "Man those were all terrible but way better than what we got"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing is I can really understand a lot of this thinking.

When he watches TNA he takes hope from the angles and goes "okay they could really turn it around and do this..." but with WWE it's always like "Yeah, it's good, but it could be done better this way..." He's kind of easy on TNA because they're retarded, and hard on WWE because they should be doing better. And he's really high on ROH, except he's pessimistic about their chances.

With the Punk thing he's like "This is a million dollar angle, and should be done for a Wrestlemania, not a lovely B-PPV, and if they do it they're removing the logical angle for bringing Brock back." Then again, part of it is the fact that he outlined that Cena will probably win anyway, if he doesn't they won't keep him off tv for a second so the stips mean nothing, and if Punk came back as an outsider group and had the kings they'd probably just bury it like they did the Nexus.

And he's also just realistic: CM Punk forms an outsider stable with the Kings and Paul Heyman. 95% of the audience goes "WHO THE gently caress IS THAT BALD GUY AND THAT OTHER DUDE?" and he's right, the outsider angle only works when the guys are over with your audience, like Hall and Nash. And WWE aren't going to let the Kings go through the division like Brock did, because they don't book like that.

Anyway, :words:

tl;dr: Dave loves wrestling and hates stupid things.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

When he watches TNA he takes hope from the angles and goes "okay they could really turn it around and do this..." but with WWE it's always like "Yeah, it's good, but it could be done better this way..." He's kind of easy on TNA because they're retarded, and hard on WWE because they should be doing better. And he's really high on ROH, except he's pessimistic about their chances.

This sounds familiar... :downs:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Big Bob Pataki posted:

That's what finally convinced you?

To be fair, I've only been a subscriber for 3 months

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

LordPants posted:

"WHO THE gently caress IS THAT BALD GUY AND THAT OTHER DUDE?" and he's right, the outsider angle only works when the guys are over with your audience, like Hall and Nash. And WWE aren't going to let the Kings go through the division like Brock did, because they don't book like that.

With good commentators and solid booking they would get the Kings of Wrestling over. The problem is that they won't allow Punk and the Kings of Wrestling any heat and promptly bury them within 2 weeks while Michael Cole berries them on the mic.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Honestly, Kings would be treated like the Nexus was. Total unknowns basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

As long as they still do that super awesome high five they'll get over.

edit:
this one

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 29, 2011

• Locked thread