Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Secret Machine posted:

Is the next Takamura fight going to be a joke match or what?

Will he remember how to box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I think it's kind of obvious that everytime one of Takamura's opponents is another Disney character, it's not to be taken seriously. RICKY MOUSE and RONALD DUCK set that trend anyway.

I can't even remember the name of the next guy but I know it was something similar.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Mr. Deathy posted:

I think it's kind of obvious that everytime one of Takamura's opponents is another Disney character, it's not to be taken seriously. RICKY MOUSE and RONALD DUCK set that trend anyway.

I can't even remember the name of the next guy but I know it was something similar.

Roofy

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Raster Computer

Flamebo
Apr 27, 2005
Fauxhawks are so totally in right now Bro!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Hey, you know the latest chapter of Ippo that some people are claiming is legitimately good? Still a piece of poo poo compared to RRR- http://www.mangafox.com/manga/rrr/v02/c011/1.html. Saying a chapter is good for HnI is damning it with faint praise.

Dude but Ippo has been going on since 1990. Any good manga that is just starting is going to have a huge advantage because the author is going to have way more ideas for story arcs. Remember that in the manga industry, generally manga are written week to week, month to month, being intended to go on for as long as they are popular, not for as long as the author plans. So yeah ippo is definitely stale, but it's like give it a fuckin break its been going on for 21 years its going to get stagnant in parts and have its slumps. All the bitching in this thread is getting ridiculous, its not nearly as good as it used to be but it is still a decent manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The last arc and fight were nowhere near decent. And yeah, Ippo has been going on for a long time. I don't understand how that makes poo poo not poo poo. Does any long-running manga become immune to being judged on its own merits? Is every new manga judged as being good as a matter of course? RRR is good, but that doesn't count because it is new. HnI is bad, but that doesn't count because it is old.

Besides, I'm sure Ippo will go challenge the world, resolve his weird obsession with Miyata and enter into an actual relationship with Kumi aaaaaannny chapter now. I'll just wait patiently and smile as Mori rubs his balls on a piece of paper and calls it a storyline- those balls are bound to stop itching eventually!

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.

Flamebo posted:

So yeah ippo is definitely stale, but it's like give it a fuckin break its been going on for 21 years its going to get stagnant in parts and have its slumps.

The thing is, the current slump is measured in years and years and years and years. At the point when the slump has a chance of eclipsing the the entire rest of the run, there is a serious problem beyond "Manga has run for a long time".

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Wong Dongson posted:

The thing is, the current slump is measured in years and years and years and years. At the point when the slump has a chance of eclipsing the the entire rest of the run, there is a serious problem beyond "Manga has run for a long time".

Yeah, I mean, look at Ippo's last few fights. Kojima, Wali, Gedo, Scratch J. Scratch J was decent, but beyond that, all crap. Gedo first rolled what, mid 700's? That's about 4 years, more or less.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
It's not just that the manga is old so the ideas arent there so we shouldn't bitch about it, but the fact of the matter is there ARE idea's but he simply won't do them. Moving up to the world, a rematch with Sendou, Itagaki leaving the gym and challenging Ippo, a rematch with MIYATA.

Don't get me wrong, i'm no author and haven't dedicated 21 years of my life to drawing a cartoon but it's getting closer and closer to "ok im done"

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

tazman posted:

a rematch with Sendou

Sendou is a good character, and his fights were really good, but you want a second rematch? Just move him up to the world. This manga moves slow enough as it is, we don't need Megaman style re-fights that will drag this out another 20 years.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
With the things I listed, I'd put Sendou at the bottom but quite frankly i'd have taken a Sendou fight 3 over some no name angry making broken hand dude.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, it isn't as though boxing is dependent on shounen power levels. Aren't rematches pretty common?

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

tazman posted:

It's not just that the manga is old so the ideas arent there so we shouldn't bitch about it, but the fact of the matter is there ARE idea's but he simply won't do them. Moving up to the world, a rematch with Sendou, Itagaki leaving the gym and challenging Ippo, a rematch with MIYATA.

I found out that my boss is another battered wife Ippo fan, and he brought this up. If Morikawa decided he wanted to end the manga and just do the big fights that he's been cockteasing us with for hundreds of chapters it wouldn't really take that long, he just refuses to actually progress with on any level. If you think about it, Aokimura have more change in their lives than Ippo.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjmobevtKPs

Maybe we should just spend our time hoping for a new season of the anime so we can see the Kamogawa flashback.

Edit: Heh, Ippo's first fight winning trick was literally getting punched in the face.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 25, 2011

Flamebo
Apr 27, 2005
Fauxhawks are so totally in right now Bro!

WeaponBoy posted:

I found out that my boss is another battered wife Ippo fan, and he brought this up. If Morikawa decided he wanted to end the manga and just do the big fights that he's been cockteasing us with for hundreds of chapters it wouldn't really take that long, he just refuses to actually progress with on any level. If you think about it, Aokimura have more change in their lives than Ippo.

I agree that there are more good ideas left, but I think it is more of a matter of Morikawa being pressured either financially or by his editors to continue the manga for as long as possible. There are a few awesome arcs that have been hinted at since forever but they are all arcs that have to take place at the end of the story, they have been hinted at since the beginning. After running for so long there just isnt much more character development that can be done without leading directly to the end; hence all the boring drawn out filler fights. Honestly it'd be best if he started preparing to end the comic but it seems like its just going to go on for eternity...

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 941

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So I'm assuming that at the end Ippo actually forgot Kazuto's name, it's not some weird Japanese pronunciation thing?

Welp, it's all downhill from here I guess.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I thought it was some joke that I just didn't understand.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
The boxer's name is Hisato and his son is Kazuto. Their names are just that forgettable because no one loving cares about either of them and this entire chapter was a waste of five minutes.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
wait guys i wasnt paying attention what happened to ippos opponent?

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!
His opponent got punched and was drawn in a way that made it look like his head did a 180 and was ripped clean off but he walked it off so he's ok

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Fist of life. Remember that?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I'm no punch scientist, but isn't Ippo falling over like that a REALLY loving bad sign of get his rear end to the hospital right loving now?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

tazman posted:

I'm no punch scientist, but isn't Ippo falling over like that a REALLY loving bad sign of get his rear end to the hospital right loving now?

Psh. The NFL/NHL/Rugby has taught us that concussions that make you dizzy and fall over minutes afterward just mean you have to go to the locker room for a period. Walk it off, pussy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

tazman posted:

Also letting someone with a concussion go to sleep is a terrible idea. Kamogawa expects you to power through your brain injury with burning spirit!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Also letting someone with a concussion go to sleep is a terrible idea. Kamogawa expects you to power through your brain injury with burning spirit!

Forgettable boxer was right- Kamogawa does suck, and now his incompetence is going to get Ippo killed.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
After the last match:

Kamogawa: Ippo you just got punched directly in the face, go and sit in the changing room without anyone to check up on you.

Ippo: Sure thing coach. *falls*

Aoki: You don't look too good. How about I take you out into the halls and leave you to pass out.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

logger posted:

After the last match:

Kamogawa: Ippo you just got punched directly in the face, go and sit in the changing room without anyone to check up on you.

Ippo: Sure thing coach. *falls*

Aoki: You don't look too good. How about I take you out into the halls and leave you to pass out.

Someone should edit the manga with these lines because lol

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
The truth is revealed!

The real reason for this whole one-punch challenger was to actually cripple Ippo, win or lose, forcing him to retire from boxing and become a coach. Cue a timeskip with a whole new set of boxers in Kamogawa gym, with Ippo as the coach! This manga will never end! (And he still hasn't kissed Kumi 20 years later)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ippo would do well as a coach. Close relationships with (sweaty) young men is squarely in his comfort zone.

Mario Reindeer
Jan 13, 2006
Ask me about causing a miscarriage with my fist!

Mad Fnorder posted:

The truth is revealed!

The real reason for this whole one-punch challenger was to actually cripple Ippo, win or lose, forcing him to retire from boxing and become a coach. Cue a timeskip with a whole new set of boxers in Kamogawa gym, with Ippo as the coach! This manga will never end! (And he still hasn't kissed Kumi 20 years later)

It was all a clever plan to get Ippo to train Kojima's son

VanishXZone
Apr 1, 2010

frabba posted:

I just imagined that morikawa's editors told him to start wrapping up the series. He accomplished it by having Martinez retire, and a tournament at the world level to crown the new champion. Fights that would occur are:

Miyata v Sendo
Ippo v Vorg 2
Ippo v miyata in the finals

What other fights do you think there should be?

Nah, the ending for HnI is already set up. Boxers from Japan have two belts they can go after (this is mentioned when Date challenges Martinez). The one lightweight belt is owned by Martinez (Ippo/Sendo path). The other belt is constantly fought over by by people running away from Martinez (Miyata path). Ippo/Sendo 3 determines who fights Martinez; Sendo loses, retires to become a fireman like his father in Osaka (dear Morikawa, make that manga). Miyata fights his way through a bunch of people to become champion of his division. Ippo beats Martinez to become champion of his division. Have a few defenses, then the destined match of Ippo/Miyata to [michaelbuffer]crown the undisputed lightweight champion of the wooooooooooooooooooooooooooorld[/michaelbuffer].

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I know it's years old, but in retrospect the Sendo gaiden was the best thing to come out of the series since, christ, maybe the WWII arc.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I decided to re-read the older chapters and reminisce about the good old days, and, well, this is all I have to say:

For reference, this is at chapter 209, right before Ippo reveals the Dempsey Roll. That means that it's been about 700 chapters (which is, what, fourteen years?) since Ippo has become the Japanese Featherweight Champion. Also, in the first two hundred chapters, Ippo has had eleven professional fights; he's had twenty-four total. The main character of this boxing manga has not even been in one boxing match per (real-world) year in the last seven hundred chapters.

What the gently caress happened to the pace in this manga?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I guess the Miyata's OPBF fights, Takamura's championship fights, Aoki and Kimura's Championship fights, and the coach's flashback arc does cut into those 700 chapters a bit, but yeah, the pace is still criminally slow.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

One of the reasons I'd like to see way more get animated is, well, IDEALLY they'd be able to cut out tons of the bullshit stretch outs in the manga.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Two chapters per episode = one episode of Ippo doing nothing but staring at his opponent all round :smug:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Watching New Challenger again now. Man this manga was exciting when things like Ippo was actively working towards Ricardo as if it were an actual possibility were going on.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Watching New Challenger again now. Man this manga was exciting when things like Ippo was actively working towards Ricardo as if it were an actual possibility were going on.

"The brat's not ready yet! Now go get beat up by some more foreigners!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

"The brat's not ready yet! Now go get beat up by some more foreigners!"

Well, he isn't ready. Foreigners apparently have magic powers, and Ippo can't summon his ghost double at will yet.