Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SpacedOut posted:

I know the first memory cards to be included were standard SanDisk Class 2 16GB memory cards, but after the refresh to 2GB cards? I don't know, but it's doubtful they'd go with a higher class if 2 worked well.
I got mine on launch day (or maybe the day after), and it has a Class 4 16GB card in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

SpacedOut posted:

Maybe try formatting it from the X itself? Maybe it prefers a fat32 cluster size that's different from Windows' default or some other weird particularity? Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

Tried this and all seems well now. Thanks!

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

ObsidianBeast posted:

Perfect, thanks for the explanation.

Totally worth it as well. Asurion sends out phones next day air. I've had 3 phones overheat on me in the last year and a half and one phone stolen at my wedding (I have poo poo luck), and the longest I have been out of a phone is 18 hours.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Phone purchasing question w/bonus hotspot question: I'm about to jump to Verizon and am looking at (through the Amazon store) either an Incredible 2 for $50 or the HTC Trophy for $0.01, the latter because I have a Zune Pass sub and XBL etc. I'm leaning away from the Trophy because it seems like the phone is just an OK one, although still apparently decent, whereas the Incredible 2 seems to have more functionality, although there are complaints regarding the software (Froyo, Sense, Verizon junk, and coming from an iPhone I'm not familiar with cleaning an android phone).

Additionally, I'm interested in what I think the hotspot functionality is, although not for actual internet applications. I have an iPad and a separate laptop and I'd like to be able to take both with me on vacation and transfer files to the iPad if necessary using ftp/Air Video/etc aka apps that avoid iTunes and go through wifi. From what I can tell (but could be totally wrong) Hotspot would let me turn the Incredible (but not the Trophy?) into a wireless router that I could connect the laptop and iPad to and act like their on my home network.

Am I off-base with any of this? Will Verizon try to charge me extra for that ability (since they'd assume I'd want to tether), and if so, is there a different marketplace app that would allow me to do what I want without paying for it? And is there any way to get a Trophy to do that, or should I be ignoring the Trophy alltogether?

Etan
Nov 6, 2006
I've been reading about being grandfathered into the unlimited plan but I am still not certain about something. Say I bought a cheap smart phone now and signed up for the unlimited data plan. If I used my upgrade after the 7th and signed a 2-year contract would I be forced to switch to the tiered service. I know new lines have to but I can't figure out if it applies to new 2-year contracts.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Etan posted:

I've been reading about being grandfathered into the unlimited plan but I am still not certain about something. Say I bought a cheap smart phone now and signed up for the unlimited data plan. If I used my upgrade after the 7th and signed a 2-year contract would I be forced to switch to the tiered service. I know new lines have to but I can't figure out if it applies to new 2-year contracts.
Current info points to "no, you won't have to switch when you upgrade".

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Trying to order phones and start a Verizon family plan through Amazon.
My girlfriend and I want to be on the same plan and keep our numbers. She's currently on T-Mobile, I'm currently on my family's Verizon. When entering in the number transfer info, there's only boxes for the "primary" account holder. A message pops up saying "Note: Verizon Wireless requires all numbers to be transferred come from the same account".
So is it impossible for us to both keep our numbers? If I go ahead and check "give this phone a new number" for one of them, could I switch its number once I get the phone?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Ave Azaria posted:

could I switch its number once I get the phone?

Yes you'll just have to call it in

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Curious as to how people are liking the Trophy. As mentioned, its currently $.01 on Amazon, and that seems awesome. The Thunderbolt is $100, but i'm not sure I'd like such a huge phone. I'm also liking WP7 that I am seeing on my friends phones.

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006
I can only upgrade with a 2 year contract or month-to-month options? Where the hell did the 1 year contract go? I missed a memo or something.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Southpaw posted:

I can only upgrade with a 2 year contract or month-to-month options? Where the hell did the 1 year contract go? I missed a memo or something.

Unfortunately, you did.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Flyboy925 posted:

Curious as to how people are liking the Trophy. As mentioned, its currently $.01 on Amazon, and that seems awesome. The Thunderbolt is $100, but i'm not sure I'd like such a huge phone. I'm also liking WP7 that I am seeing on my friends phones.

You should ask in the Windows Phone 7 thread in this forum. I've only played with one in a Verizon store, and it seemed really slick and responsive.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I was recently in a decently sized Verizon store in LA looking at the trophy and the rep told me that they hadn't sold one yet. :stare:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I was recently in a decently sized Verizon store in LA looking at the trophy and the rep told me that they hadn't sold one yet. :stare:

I would say this is a pretty accurate gauge of the interest in WP7 on Verizon.

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/297-Windows-Phone-Mobile

It's been over a week since the last post, and that was for the Omnia I910.

It's MS's own fault. First delay introducing the platform on Verizon then don't bother to raise the bar on specs (dual core, LTE) when they DO finally release a CDMA phone. You need your head examined if you buy a 9+ month old phone on a 2 year contract.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 29, 2011

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
WP7 is nice, and the Trophy is pretty slick, actually. It's sort of a combination of the best features of iOS and Android. Even has a forums app in development!

I imagine they haven't sold any because... well, I dunno. They're pretty good. I mean, yeah, specs aren't that great but none of the WP7 hardware out now is that great and it won't be until the end of the year. I don't think the lack of sales are hardware-related, though - there's just not a big niche for WP7 right now. Why would average consumer buy one over an iPhone or an Android device? Yeah, it's subjectively 'better', but that's not really a strong position to sell one from.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
The only reason the Trophy even came up in conversation is because my mom who knows nothing about phones was looking for a new one. She really liked WP7. She said "it's windows, i like windows". We ended up with an Incredible 2, mostly because my family has a lot of experience with android, but she reeeally wanted that Trophy.

heh another example of phone sales based on the recommendation of a phone nerd

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

I would say this is a pretty accurate gauge of the interest in WP7

FTFY

WP7 was way too late to the party. They flogged 6.1 and 6.5 too long and then brought out a phone with a feature set that's already been superseded by the other two major players, and the only unique features were only enough to roust a half-hearted 'meh' from anyone other than extreme MS-philes.

I'm not sure how long they're going to continue to flog WP7. If they want it to go anywhere, they need at least 1 feature that blows the other players out of the water for everyone. Zune and XBL are cool, but people who don't have an XBox really couldn't give a poo poo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

FTFY

WP7 was way too late to the party. They flogged 6.1 and 6.5 too long and then brought out a phone with a feature set that's already been superseded by the other two major players, and the only unique features were only enough to roust a half-hearted 'meh' from anyone other than extreme MS-philes.

I'm not sure how long they're going to continue to flog WP7. If they want it to go anywhere, they need at least 1 feature that blows the other players out of the water for everyone. Zune and XBL are cool, but people who don't have an XBox really couldn't give a poo poo.

Xbox live really needs more features, as it is I don't see the point of it beyond messaging friends (which I can do via IM).

The OS is fast and certain people like it. They just have a big hurdle over the people who want Android/iPhone because their friends tell them to, and they need to at least equal features.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The biggest issue is they are playing the long game right now and they really can't afford to.

There are 10 WP7 devices on the market, only 7 of which are in the US and those are split down carrier lines.

Verizon ALONE is currently carrying 21 Android devices.

You can do one piece of hardware and one major software release a year if you are Apple. You can't do that if you are a newcomer to the market. There's no excitement about your product and it get stagnant on the shelves and in minds. You don't run a flyer promoting a device you had sitting around the store for the past 6 months unless you are trying to do a closeout.

WP7 is slick, it has potential, but the HTC Trophy is not a phone that I would feel comfortable signing a two year contract over. They had a real opportunity here to provide a viable LTE device while all the Android offerings are iffy in that category, but the current hardware requirements from Microsoft don't support LTE, so HTC is held back.

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
To anyone thats on the fence about hoping on Verizon, Amazon Wireless reduced the subsidized price of the Thunderbolt and the Revolution to $99 and $.01. I'm surprised they dropped the Revolution so much.. Is it really that unpopular?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The latest rumor right now is that the Bionic will be released on July 28th. It's just long enough to prevent anyone who's hopping on board verizon right now to get unlimited data from returning their phone and exchanging it for the Bionic.

I'm hopeful, but still unsure if I believe it. I have a feeling we'll be into August before it comes out.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The latest rumor right now is that the Bionic will be released on July 28th. It's just long enough to prevent anyone who's hopping on board verizon right now to get unlimited data from returning their phone and exchanging it for the Bionic.

I'm hopeful, but still unsure if I believe it. I have a feeling we'll be into August before it comes out.

Why not get this Amex feature and then pay full price for a Thunderbolt? Then you have six months to return it and claim a subsidized Droid Bionic later.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/premium-return-protection/home.do

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

Why not get this Amex feature and then pay full price for a Thunderbolt? Then you have six months to return it and claim a subsidized Droid Bionic later.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/premium-return-protection/home.do

Honestly, you don't even have to do that. Just buy it at costco at full price and they have a 90 day return policy.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So it appears that another regulatory fee change is coming. Or the annual "Let's let all of our unhappy customers go and boost our customer service numbers" fray.

According to a friend of my wife's, if one were to do an early termination of this type, they would have to pay back the difference in their subsidized phone costs.

In other words, if they got out ETF free, they'd still effectively have to pay an ETF.

Is there anything to this, or does my wife's friend have her head way up her rear end?

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Just a general FYI:

Did you know that if you have Total Equipment Coverage (the insurance + warranty option) you get free use of Asurion's Mobile Recovery app? Mobile Recovery is remote GPS locator, remote lock, remote wipe app.

It works on most Androids, BlackBerrys, webOS devices, and a handful of feature phones (here's a list of supported devices).

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

AlexDeGruven posted:

So it appears that another regulatory fee change is coming. Or the annual "Let's let all of our unhappy customers go and boost our customer service numbers" fray.

According to a friend of my wife's, if one were to do an early termination of this type, they would have to pay back the difference in their subsidized phone costs.

In other words, if they got out ETF free, they'd still effectively have to pay an ETF.

Is there anything to this, or does my wife's friend have her head way up her rear end?

Here is the link to droid life article

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/29/ready-to-cancel-your-verizon-contract-with-no-termination-fee-now-may-be-your-chance/

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

AlexDeGruven posted:

This is impossible to answer without knowing who they bought the phone from. If it was from Verizon's online or retail store, no. If it was from a third party "authorized reseller" (like Amazon, Wirefly, or the the random store down the street that isn't owned by Verizon", maybe since those places have their own, additional set of terms.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Soo a thought just came to me:

Verizon said they would grandfather everyone who already has unlimited data. What about if you have unlimited data with a blackberry? I know there seperate "plans" compared to android and iphone data plans :ohdear:

I just wanna make sure i still have unlimited data when the Bionic rolls around. I hastily grabbed my girlfriend's old blackberry to tide me over until than.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Soo a thought just came to me:

Verizon said they would grandfather everyone who already has unlimited data. What about if you have unlimited data with a blackberry? I know there seperate "plans" compared to android and iphone data plans :ohdear:

I just wanna make sure i still have unlimited data when the Bionic rolls around. I hastily grabbed my girlfriend's old blackberry to tide me over until than.

Unlimited data is the same for all smartphones, at least on Verizon. I have seen carriers differentiate between BlackBerry data and regular smartphone data but Verizon doesn't seem to.

Unless you have that corporate data plan that's $45/mo. No idea how that works.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

HondaCivet posted:

Unlimited data is the same for all smartphones, at least on Verizon. I have seen carriers differentiate between BlackBerry data and regular smartphone data but Verizon doesn't seem to.

Unless you have that corporate data plan that's $45/mo. No idea how that works.

That's the thing, Verizon uses different verbage on their website between "smartphone" data (iPhone and Android) and "Blackberry" data.

I just dont wanna get screwed over, that's all.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

fnkels posted:

To anyone thats on the fence about hoping on Verizon, Amazon Wireless reduced the subsidized price of the Thunderbolt and the Revolution to $99 and $.01. I'm surprised they dropped the Revolution so much.. Is it really that unpopular?

It's kind of annoying how the conversation is always "Thunderbolt or Charge?!" it seems that the Revolution is just forgotten about by nearly everyone. I like mine, besides some odd 4G connection issues now and then it's fine. No real problems with the battery life either, I have a spare one and the desktop dock. I just swap it out if it gets low.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

I would guess that the Revolution is forgotten because of how horrible every other Android phone they have made has been. My fiance had the Ally, and its the worst smartphone I've ever used...and I think that is currently their second best Android phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fnkels posted:

Big Box will take a loss on certain phones because people will come in and buy multiples or decide on the pricier one. If they have one customer get a Revolution for himself and a Thunderbolt for his wife, Amazon just made the difference there.

Acrolos posted:

I would guess that the Revolution is forgotten because of how horrible every other Android phone they have made has been. My fiance had the Ally, and its the worst smartphone I've ever used...and I think that is currently their second best Android phone.

No manufacturer is perfect, but I would argue LG makes great smartphones overall. The Alley, however, would not be one of those great ones.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Do any of you know anything about the 550 minute/month loyalty plan? I was recently moved to one following a dispute over a device return and had a question. If I were to add a line to my service now, would I automatically lose that plan and be bumped back to the average joe plan?

I would like to keep the plan since I didn't use 1/5th of my total minutes per month before, but I'm planning to add a line soon to help my parents get a cell phone. I don't see why they wouldn't allow me to keep it as it is supposedly for my continued loyalty, (2+ years on Verizon) but when I preview the option to add a line, the minimum voice plan is 700 minutes.

Come to think of it, I lost a loyalty plan on my original phone when I moved to a family plan, but I assumed that was because I was going from single to family...

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

PirateDentist posted:

It's kind of annoying how the conversation is always "Thunderbolt or Charge?!" it seems that the Revolution is just forgotten about by nearly everyone. I like mine, besides some odd 4G connection issues now and then it's fine. No real problems with the battery life either, I have a spare one and the desktop dock. I just swap it out if it gets low.
The Bing thing turns some people off I think

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

NofrikinfuN posted:

Do any of you know anything about the 550 minute/month loyalty plan? I was recently moved to one following a dispute over a device return and had a question. If I were to add a line to my service now, would I automatically lose that plan and be bumped back to the average joe plan?

I would like to keep the plan since I didn't use 1/5th of my total minutes per month before, but I'm planning to add a line soon to help my parents get a cell phone. I don't see why they wouldn't allow me to keep it as it is supposedly for my continued loyalty, (2+ years on Verizon) but when I preview the option to add a line, the minimum voice plan is 700 minutes.

Come to think of it, I lost a loyalty plan on my original phone when I moved to a family plan, but I assumed that was because I was going from single to family...

You can add a line on for $9.99/mo without a problem, except you may be unable to do so online since it's a non-standard rateplan.

The only thing a loyalty plan can't have is plan level unlimited texting (you have to go with per line features instead).

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SpacedOut posted:

You can add a line on for $9.99/mo without a problem, except you may be unable to do so online since it's a non-standard rateplan.

The only thing a loyalty plan can't have is plan level unlimited texting (you have to go with per line features instead).

Interesting... That probably removes Amazon as an option as well? In order to keep the plan I'll likely have to speak with a flesh-and-blood representative?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No manufacturer is perfect, but I would argue LG makes great smartphones overall. The Alley, however, would not be one of those great ones.

Isn't the G2x also a disaster, software-wise? I think it makes sense to be cautious about LG until they prove themselves with at least one hit. They're sort of the new Samsung.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's the thing, Verizon uses different verbage on their website between "smartphone" data (iPhone and Android) and "Blackberry" data.

I just dont wanna get screwed over, that's all.

We subscribed recently and almost got a BlackBerry (lol) and it was the exact same data plan as any other smartphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it looked like the G2x was going to be great, but it's been fumbled. The Ally on Verizon wasn't anything to write home about either. The Revolution isn't a "with Google" device and is saddled with Bing. Due to the LTE radio, i'm not hopeful for custom roms on that phone anytime soon either.

So, really, to me the Revolution might as well not exist right now. It doesn't do anything better than the other two LTE phones that Verizon has and it's had its Google experience screwed with.

• Locked thread