Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'll throw in a vote for something old-school, like a Bonneville or an Enfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Ducati 848/1098/1198, a bit out of my price range, I don't think i'm ready for Ducati ownership yet. I think they're a bit overrated, I kinda like the monsters though.

Honda RC51, tough to find at a good price these days, slower than modern inline 4 bikes, even the 954rr.

I've kinda warmed up to the speed triple, but most of the used ones i've seen go for about the same price as most of the liter bikes i've listed.

I've kept the GS500 because it gets like 52mpg even when i'm doing 80+mph on it, easy to work on and maintain, cheap tires, just makes a good solid commuter.

636: Love it to death, had it less than a year, don't want to sell.

Also have the K1200rs not pictured with full luggage setup for longer distance stuff.

Contrary to most of CA I think I prefer inline 4s and the usual smoother way they build up their power as opposed to the always torquey Vtwins, i've ridden an SV650 and still preferred the way the Honda F2 engine spun up.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Get a track bike.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Ducati you could get a 916, 996, 998, maybe a 999 if you shop around, all of those are better than ANOTHER Japanese i4 which will be even less suitable for the street than the 636 and probably less fun, it will be the same bike except you can do 90mph in first gear and standing wheelies on the interstate, which might be your thing I dunno.

Also i4s build up power in pretty much the opposite of smoothly so maybe you and are just from different worlds v:shobon:v

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

infraboy posted:

Contrary to most of CA I think I prefer inline 4s and the usual smoother way they build up their power as opposed to the always torquey Vtwins, i've ridden an SV650 and still preferred the way the Honda F2 engine spun up.

You need a Suzuki RE-5. Yeah, I bought that user title.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

ShaneB posted:

OK, seriously might be buying this bike this coming weekend.

Get it. If you don't, tell me where that mofo is. It's at least in the same state...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

ShaneB posted:

OK, seriously might be buying this bike this coming weekend. 1990 Honda Hawk. This guy is the second owner. Cop was the original owner, stopped riding it in '94, apparently. This guy got it, did the usual carb cleaning, fluids, plugs, and rubber in the spring. Under 4,000 miles. Asking $2,400 but said he would do $2,100. He is apparently still riding it often so I know it's a good runner.

That's got to be the cleanest Hawk I've ever seen. I can't remember ever hearing a bad thing about those bikes either, which says something about them to me because I can't think of any other bike with such glowing reviews.
Seriously, just do it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

frozenphil posted:

That's got to be the cleanest Hawk I've ever seen. I can't remember ever hearing a bad thing about those bikes either, which says something about them to me because I can't think of any other bike with such glowing reviews.
Seriously, just do it.

Getting paid on the 30th/1st, and the guy seems to be holding it for me. I'm going to go this weekend and hopefully nab it unless something is dreadfully wrong.

Toshi
Oct 14, 2005
Is this a good deal http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2459157211.html
looks pretty clean and I could probably talk him down a little.

also this looks pretty good I emailed for better pics. http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/2395111208.html

Toshi fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 28, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The 2007 Ninja has a new sprocket at 950 miles? o.O

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

The 2007 Ninja has a new sprocket at 950 miles? o.O

Might have gone up/down a tooth and kept the stock one or just bought one to go up/down a tooth and hasn't installed it yet. I think I rode about 1k miles before I went up a tooth on the front on mine.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
The 08 will hold it's value better since it's the new gen. Unless you can talk the 07 down more or don't plan on getting rid of the bike after a year or two, the 08 is overall a better deal.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce
Just to turn this on its head...what is a fair price for me to expect for a 2003 Vulcan 500 w/ 24.5k miles? Has a 1" or so gash on the gas tank and some scratches on the pipes. Damage was from a < 10 MPH drop and bike is mechanically perfect (had it checked by dealer and everything runs just fine). Metzeler tires are about 2k miles old.

http://imgur.com/a/wB9Og/

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Around here they go for around $2500-3000 but we have pretty retarded prices. I would shoot for like $1500 with the damage. Shiny unmarred tins and pipes are kind of important for a cruiser like that.

Toshi
Oct 14, 2005
I found this http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2466941275.html and I think I'm going to purchase it for cheap and just bank the rest for the next bike or repairs/upgrades. The guy said that there are some scratches from the last owner. Roughly how much is this bike worth, $2200 seems high.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

clutchpuck posted:

Around here they go for around $2500-3000 but we have pretty retarded prices. I would shoot for like $1500 with the damage. Shiny unmarred tins and pipes are kind of important for a cruiser like that.

Thanks. I bought this one for $1900 last year so that sounds about right. I'm not going to make a big stink about a few hundred bucks, right now I just want to get it sold so I can go buy something new and a little more sporty.

I've got to give that bike credit though, it is an awful lot of fun to ride. For a cruiser it handles amazingly well and even with the small engine I can get up and going quick. I'm going to miss her.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Toshi posted:

I found this http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2466941275.html and I think I'm going to purchase it for cheap and just bank the rest for the next bike or repairs/upgrades. The guy said that there are some scratches from the last owner. Roughly how much is this bike worth, $2200 seems high.

I'd shoot for $1500ish. Compromise at around $1800, maybe, if the tires/etc are in good shape. Bargain him down because the valves will need to be done in 2k, and it probably needs tires due to age.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

"[panic posted:

"]
I've got to give that bike credit though, it is an awful lot of fun to ride. For a cruiser it handles amazingly well and even with the small engine I can get up and going quick. I'm going to miss her.

That's the one with the EX500 engine right? I've always wanted to ride one of those.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've been looking for a project bike for a while. This would also be the first motorcycle that I've owned. I found a 1992 Kawasaki Ninja for about $500 and it says it was running fine until he pulled the wiring harness off. My main concern is that he doesn't have a title but an "affidavit of ownership" or something to that effect. Also is $500 a reasonable price for a project Kawasaki ninja?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I believe what he has is what you get when you lose a title, I did something similar with a john boat a guy gave me. Had no title so you have to go thru hoops trying to contact the last owner(before the guy I got it from), bills of sale from both transactions, and blah blah blah to "prove" it isn't stolen. It is legit, double check on that tho but you should be able to register it with that.

As long as you trust him that it was running fine. Electronics can be a bitch but if that's all it needs that's not too bad. Offer 4 and see what he says.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Toshi posted:

The guy said that there are some scratches from the last owner.

I don't think I've ever seen a craigslist ad where the seller admits to being the one to drop the bike, unless it was in his garage/driveway/bed of pillows when it tipped over.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

frozenphil posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a craigslist ad where the seller admits to being the one to drop the bike, unless it was in his garage/driveway/bed of pillows when it tipped over.

I said as much when I sold my DRZ and my KTM. Both buyers were total suckers though.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

clutchpuck posted:

That's the one with the EX500 engine right? I've always wanted to ride one of those.

Yep, to the best of my knowledge. If it wasn't for the forward controls I would swear that I wasn't riding a cruiser when I'm on it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

frozenphil posted:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2448609669.html

quote:

Both bikes need a rear tire soon, both have been involved in "parking lot drops" (first bikes) and have some scratches to show for it. The rear brake lever on the silver one is bent but fine, other bent levers have been replaced.

:colbert:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

I have a Ninja 250 and I'd make that trade. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Getting an 09 blue one with about 6000 miles on it tomorrow. We actually had it set up then had to postpone trading, and then he hit me up with an email sayin he'd need 200 bucks to make it feel like an even trade. I hard-balled him but I guess he really wanted it cause after some back and forth he's now throwing in a rear stand for it as well :smug:

cinder
Aug 25, 2000
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/2471114807.html

Recently re listed after being off of CL for like a month. She's thick.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

nsaP posted:

Getting an 09 blue one with about 6000 miles on it tomorrow. We actually had it set up then had to postpone trading, and then he hit me up with an email sayin he'd need 200 bucks to make it feel like an even trade. I hard-balled him but I guess he really wanted it cause after some back and forth he's now throwing in a rear stand for it as well :smug:
I have an '09 blue one, but I actually ride mine so it has nearly 13k miles.

cinder posted:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/2471114807.html

Recently re listed after being off of CL for like a month. She's thick.

God drat do I love those bikes. I don't care about their reputation, they sound beautiful.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

frozenphil posted:

I have an '09 blue one, but I actually ride mine so it has nearly 13k miles.

Where do you live again? Hah, I would have actually preferred that potentially as it means I don't have to do the friggen valve checks (provided you did :D)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Taking the MSF in the next month and looking to pick up a bike in the near future. I'm not exactly a small fry at 6'4" 275 lbs so I'm somewhat worried that a Ninja 250 might look like a minibike with me on it.

I've been leaning towards a Sport Touring or Dual Sport as they seem to accommodate my size better and have a more upright seating position, however I'm open to any suggestions. Most of my driving will be commuting (including DC beltway) or short hops around town.

Is there something else I should be looking for? Do I have my sights set on the wrong type of bike?

Edit: Yay/nay?

2006 Suzuki Boulevard - $2400 (Arlington)

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S50 - $3800 (Falls Church, VA)

JayKay fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 1, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

nsaP posted:

Where do you live again? Hah, I would have actually preferred that potentially as it means I don't have to do the friggen valve checks (provided you did :D)

Birmingham, Alabama.
It's going in for complete maintenance (valve adjustment, tires, fluids, and dyno tune) next week probably. I had it checked at the book interval (7500 miles), but they said they were fine. I can hear them starting to make noise at idle now, so I'm just going to get them done instead of waiting until 15k.
Every 7500 is just a check, not an adjustment, FYI. You only adjust when they make noise.
Mine's bone stock outside of some Tech Spec. I just don't see the point in modding a 250, even if I really want to.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Valves get quiet as they tighten up, not louder. Is it hard starting when hot?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Not at all.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Z3n posted:

They do get louder if the cam lobe or rocker start to wear though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Not at all.

It'll definitely start to get hard to start as they tighten up. I wouldn't worry about it until the next adjustment interval if its not hard starting. Your gen has shim under bucket design so it should be be fine until the 15k adjustment.

MrZig posted:

They do get louder if the cam lobe or rocker start to wear though.

You're the only person who could own a low mileage 250 that'd have that issue. :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

frozenphil posted:

Birmingham, Alabama.
It's going in for complete maintenance (valve adjustment, tires, fluids, and dyno tune) next week probably. I had it checked at the book interval (7500 miles), but they said they were fine. I can hear them starting to make noise at idle now, so I'm just going to get them done instead of waiting until 15k.
Every 7500 is just a check, not an adjustment, FYI. You only adjust when they make noise.
Mine's bone stock outside of some Tech Spec. I just don't see the point in modding a 250, even if I really want to.

Alabama's a long way from Northern Kentucky. Should have this other one tomorrow anyway probably.

In sad news, the guy who was going to potentially trade me a DRZ for a FZ6 sent this in response to my inquiry as to whether he'd sold his bike.

I think he made the right choice.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Never thought I'd be posting in here, but I'm taking my MSF this weekend and have about $5k to put towards a bike. I've been considering Ninja 250R's, Ninja 500r's and GS500's. After some searching and lots of reading I've kinda cast my lot in the 500 group. In Houston I've found numerous Ninja 500's and most of the newer ones are going for around $3,500. I was all set to go for one of those, until I found this ad last night.
I'm really considering making the drive to go buy this bike. What does CA think?

for background: I'm 30, 6' tall, 188 LBS, 34" inseam and have a helmet and boots and would ride ATGATT, so I'd pick up a joe rocket mesh jacket, some firstgear textile overpants and some nice gloves. Would this be a good bike for a total newbie like me?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's a great bike, but I'd keep looking for something less expensive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Taco Box posted:

Never thought I'd be posting in here, but I'm taking my MSF this weekend and have about $5k to put towards a bike. I've been considering Ninja 250R's, Ninja 500r's and GS500's. After some searching and lots of reading I've kinda cast my lot in the 500 group. In Houston I've found numerous Ninja 500's and most of the newer ones are going for around $3,500. I was all set to go for one of those, until I found this ad last night.
I'm really considering making the drive to go buy this bike. What does CA think?

for background: I'm 30, 6' tall, 188 LBS, 34" inseam and have a helmet and boots and would ride ATGATT, so I'd pick up a joe rocket mesh jacket, some firstgear textile overpants and some nice gloves. Would this be a good bike for a total newbie like me?

It's gonna be 4.5k out the door, easily, and there is no reason to buy new for your first bike.

Buy something cheap in decent mechanical shape and crappy cosmetic shape for your first bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Z3n posted:

It's gonna be 4.5k out the door, easily, and there is no reason to buy new for your first bike.

Buy something cheap in decent mechanical shape and crappy cosmetic shape for your first bike.

I've found an '09 ex500 with 4K miles and some dings here and there, for $2,600 here Is that a better deal?

e: also, ergonomics question. I sat on one of these last weekend and my knees were right by the top of the tank cutouts and I could feel the tank on the top of my knees, if that makes sense. I sat on a cbr250r and had no such issues. I wasn't uncomfortable with those cutouts there, I was just wondering if that's a right way for those to feel? Does that mean the bike's too small? (I hope not)

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 1, 2011